2183 West 4th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6K 1N7Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bishopsonline.com/
- Phone: 604-738-2025x
- Hours of Operation:
Open for dinner Tuesday to Sunday from 5:30 till closing time.
Closed December 24th, 25th and 26th
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Ron Shaw
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Wine
A word from Bishop's
The fare at Bishop's is regional and seasonal. In restaurateur John Bishop's view, it makes sense to showcase British Columbia's lush bounty of seafood, organic produce and meats. His exquisite West Side restaurant blends classic and modern flavours with a casual elegance that keeps clients coming back for a truly exceptional dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Bishop's - Best Restaurants in Kitsilano ›
Bishop's reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (102)fit for foodies (87)romantic (84)neighborhood gem (50)notable wine list (49)good for groups (7)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Outstanding as alwayspinkberryDined on 10/18/2014Took my bf to Bishop's for yet another birthday celebration - probably our third year in a row going there for his birthday. We love Bishop's because of its consistency in food quality and service - never disappoints. Though this time I did find that tables (for two) might be spaced too close together - like you can easily hear the other table's conversation - so it takes away from the dining experience a bit. The food was, once again, exceptional.Special Features:
- Fabulous everything!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014John Bishop-amazing man! Having withstood the test of time, he continues to awe, impress & provide the most delicious, thoughtful food delights. He came to our table twice, once to welcome us between shucking oysters in the kitchen, the other to serve our yummy dessert! He was thoughtfully engaging & so charming. His staff very attentive & wonderful, ensuring every little detail of our dining experience was fabulous. The beet salad, the fresh halibut & pickerel were perfectly delicious. fEach dinner plate was unique when it came to accompaniments (some restaurants give you the same veggies no matter the entree). Our time there, a Friday night, was not rushed, in fact, there were lovely pauses between all. We are grateful & happily sated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY Expensive RestaurantGloriaVIPDined on 10/17/2014Although we've been to this restaurant a few times, I don't recall memorable meals. On this occasion, the halbut entree was delicious, the duck entree,appetitizers and dessert were OK, and the special "tiny-treat" appetizer was a "wow". Bishop retaines the superb attention in quiet surroundings for a relaxing evening -- and really sorry that the NWC art has been removed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014We had a table by the front window. The service was great. I had mentioned in conversation when the server brought the dessert menu that my boyfriend should choose his dessert. He was too full and opted to go without. The server brought him a special little birthday dish with some sweets anyway. Also, John Bishop visited and chatted with every table. I thought that was a very nice gesture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyBorn2eatDined on 10/7/2014Friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Good menu selection. The duck breast was delicious - great presentation and mix of flavours. And the homemade chocolate ice cream went fabulously with the creme brûlée. Looking forward to coming back and trying the rack of lamb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute go to restaurantWhitesailsDined on 9/25/2014For special occasions and for taking visiting foodies from out of town I can think of no better restaurant in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just one glitchml33Dined on 9/20/2014We enjoyed our meal as always, but...while the service was attentive, we had to wait a very long time for our entrée. No explanation, no apology. I'm all for leisurely dining but when it hits 2 hrs or more I get antsy.Special Features:
- Great for businessMaughtDined on 9/18/2014Great for business. Quality and a great price point - clients are impressed but it isn't over the top. The restaurant also is quiet enough to converse without shout but not so quiet that other tables can hear your conversation. Vegetarian options are somewhat limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionCanadiandreamerDined on 9/17/2014This is an excellent restaurant with fantastic food and great staff. We would highly recommend this for a quality dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the standby for Vancouver diningAlfieDined on 9/13/2014I had the Dungeness crab starter with tomato gelee, followed by elk. just perfect. the elk was clever: a polenta base with niblets of corn in it and popcorn scattered over. such artistry and flavour. a great anniversary dinner...AGAIN!Special Features:
- Consistently amazingTruFoodieDined on 9/13/2014I've been to Bishops maybe 10 times over the past 25 years, and it is always amazing. The food quality was excellent, the ambiance relaxing yet classy, and the service attentive but not intrusive. A true Vancouver gem and legacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovegoodfoodDined on 9/11/2014We had not been to Bishop's in several years. We were quite happy to find that it has not changed at all except for the artwork on the walls! This restaurant still offers some of the very best food and service in Vancouver or anyplace else you may go.Special Features:
- as perfect as it getsmomoDined on 9/10/2014Great restaurant always in top form. the best dining in van cover.definition of a perfect restaurant..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kid endorsedeatingwithkidsDined on 9/7/2014This restaurant has been around for so many years and it's still excellent. Although it's not really kid friendly (no kids menu), there were other families with older kids (age 10-12) and all well dressed and behaved. I shared half of my beef tenderloin entree (deftly split and served onto 2 plates by the restaurant) with my 10 year old. Her verdict: "really good" and "flavored just right!". This is a kid who lives on pizza and pop. She polished off her portion, which is something she rarely does at other "fancy" restaurants. She also willingly tried the beet and arugula salads, sauteed mushrooms appetizer, and even a raw local oyster. Impeccable service and food, and lively atmosphere (most tables had 3 or more people).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014bishop's never fails to provide gorgeous food and excellent service. my first choice in vancouver for a guaranteed evening of outstanding eating and drinking.Special Features:
- light and deliciouspandamanDined on 9/6/2014A great dining experience. We had the elk and snapper special of the day. Both were great, but most surprisingly, we felt very healthy after. Our dishes were not laden in oil, cream and butter, but had a rich flavour to all the food. Well worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayJaskeyDined on 9/4/2014It was a special occasion and the restaurant performed perfectly.Special Features:
- Old favouriteTnT1Dined on 9/4/2014We all commented on the fact that the menu was short but with lots of choice. The food was excellent, the tuna tartare was delicious, and the elk very tasty, though maybe not quite as tender as we had hoped for. This is an old favourite and we will go back again when next in townSpecial Features:
- Excellent and IntimateCheBuonoDined on 9/2/2014The quality of food and service is superb. Local seafood, local farm stock, local produce and world class wines. This is a Vancouver dining gem. The service also brings us back when we want an excellent meal. The staff are knowledgeable and courteous so that you're taken care of and yet you have the space and time to enjoy an intimate dinner with your party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good with some caveatsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014Food and service were great, however I felt it was a bit overpriced. I found the atmosphere a bit stuffy but that's a matter of place, I tend to prefer a more lively environment.Special Features:
- An Enduring ClassicfoodandwinoDined on 8/24/2014John Bishop is one of the great hosts and restauranteurs of Vancouver! I've been coming here since his early days and have never been disappointed. Even though I only visit on rare occassions when I come to this city, his staff are talented, genuine and go out of their way to make you feel like family. John is one of the most sincere people I have ever met and welcomes you personally with care and attention to often lacking in restaurants today. Abel and his staff even recall what you like, where you've sat and with an attention to detail rarely experienced unless you are a movie star or spending massive dollars. One of the first to champion local food with a flair. Don' miss this restaurant.Special Features:
- Vancouver highlight64yoDined on 8/24/2014Dinner at Bishop's is always a highlight when my wife and I visit Vancouver. Congenial staff, impeccable service, genteel ambiance, and the food is out of this world.Special Features:
- BishopfiliaDined on 8/23/2014Hard to imagine a dinning experience being better than this. Food and service exemplary combined with a friendly caring atmosphere created by the staff.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Food is excellent, service very nice and friendly, atmosphere very quiet and romantic, a good place for a special occasion as it's a bit pricySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best one yet!SuburbFoodiesDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I go to Bishops every year on our anniversary (even though we live in the suburbs!). We thoroughly enjoy ourselves and make new memories every time we go. It is always unbelievable food and amazing service but last week they outdid themselves. We even went to the back kitchen to tell the chef how amazing the food was. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Vancouver, B.C. vacationSFsteveDined on 8/22/2014Many places to dine in Vancouver went to Bishop's because one can have a wonderful dining experience and able to converse with others. The restaurant has been a reliable choice for years. Every visit to Vancouver includes dining at Bishop's. The only negative is the price of wines in all restaurants due to taxation and high markups.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great Servicelangleyfoodie10Dined on 8/22/2014Bishop's has a great locally-sourced menu that is always changing. You can tell that the staff has a real passion for food and wine. John Bishop stopped by our table to chat which was enjoyable. The staff was super-attentive, but never got in the way. Bishop's is definitely one of the best restaurants in Vancouver.Special Features:
- Great serviceTraceyvalgalVIPDined on 8/17/2014The thing that stood out for me other than the food was the service. The family joined me there for my birthday dinner and the staff were so great. Treated me extra special! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superbOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014We had an excellent meal. The designer cocktails were delicious!! Loved the chocolate cherry dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- memorable eveningfoodtravellersDined on 8/16/2014Starting with the welcome at the door by Mr Bishop the service throughout the evening was just right... warm but not in-your-face friendly... competent and respectful, not arrogant like some of Vancouver's other higher-end establishments. We definitely felt the evening was about us, not them. Quality of food as well as menu composition and wine selection exceptionally good. Pricey for sure, but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014I was very impressed with this restaurant in every aspect. The food was great, the drinks were great, and the service was excellent. I will be going here again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Eating at Bishops is always a wonderful experience. The service has always been excellent. The food is amazing. My favorite is the oysters but everything is good. Love going when we have the chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemCliffsidersDined on 8/13/2014We had one of our best meals EVER at this charming restaurant. Sublime food, including duck that was probably the best I ever tasted, and service that was attentive without being annoying. Lovely ambience...REAL candles, linen, and silver! It is a little out of the way, but well worth the effort and fairly hefty tab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Vancouver FavoriteVanVisitorDined on 8/10/2014I've been coming to Bishop's for 12 years, on visits to Vancouver, and it never disappoints. Great food, wine, and service, in a relaxing, composed, atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, fantasticjephperroDined on 8/10/2014Love the food, love the service. My favourite restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:
- Great dinner, innovative foodWineBarbarianVIPDined on 8/10/2014Yet another great meal at Bishop's with top quality, innovative food and warm service! Delicious creamy gazpacho from Sungold tomatoes with a spoonful of fennel sorbet and poached prawns was amazing! I've eaten here for 24 years and never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner EVER!!!FirsttimerDined on 8/10/2014My hubby and I went to bishops for our first anniversary. We have been together for 8 yrs and have never dined so well. We read reviews from round table how customers tried not to lick their plates. US TOO! The beef tenderloin my husband had ordered and the duck i ordered was Devine. We traded plates halfway through so we could experience both dinners. Yum. The staff was phenomenal throughout the whole meal. For desert (I was too full to order my own) I ate most of my hubby's grilled peach and ice cream with candied nuts OMG, delicious! He scored huge brownie points for our first anniversary choosing Bishops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BishopsFrancophile206VIPDined on 8/9/2014A long-standing restaurant, but with new-style locavore sensibilities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bishop'sdinnerdinerDined on 8/9/2014First time at Bishop's. A real treat. Service was very good and the food was fantastic. It is a real gem. I'd definitely return.Special Features:
- Amazing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/2/2014I have to say that I felt very welcomed into Bishop's and that everyone (and I mean everyone) was warm, thoughtful and helpful. I had delicious food and possibly the best salmon I've ever eaten but was even more impressed by the service and the care for each guest.Special Features: