2183 West 4th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6K 1N7Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bishopsonline.com/
- Phone: 604-738-2025x
- Hours of Operation:
we will be closed for our annual holidays from January 1st until January 23rd
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Ron Shaw
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Wine
A word from Bishop's
The fare at Bishop's is regional and seasonal. In restaurateur John Bishop's view, it makes sense to showcase British Columbia's lush bounty of seafood, organic produce and meats. His exquisite West Side restaurant blends classic and modern flavours with a casual elegance that keeps clients coming back for a truly exceptional dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Bishop's - Best Restaurants in Kitsilano ›
Bishop's reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (107)fit for foodies (86)romantic (85)notable wine list (54)neighborhood gem (52)good for groups (7)hot spot (6)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- the standby for Vancouver diningAlfieDined on 9/13/2014I had the Dungeness crab starter with tomato gelee, followed by elk. just perfect. the elk was clever: a polenta base with niblets of corn in it and popcorn scattered over. such artistry and flavour. a great anniversary dinner...AGAIN!Special Features:
- Consistently amazingTruFoodieDined on 9/13/2014I've been to Bishops maybe 10 times over the past 25 years, and it is always amazing. The food quality was excellent, the ambiance relaxing yet classy, and the service attentive but not intrusive. A true Vancouver gem and legacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as perfect as it getsmomoDined on 9/10/2014Great restaurant always in top form. the best dining in van cover.definition of a perfect restaurant..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kid endorsedeatingwithkidsDined on 9/7/2014This restaurant has been around for so many years and it's still excellent. Although it's not really kid friendly (no kids menu), there were other families with older kids (age 10-12) and all well dressed and behaved. I shared half of my beef tenderloin entree (deftly split and served onto 2 plates by the restaurant) with my 10 year old. Her verdict: "really good" and "flavored just right!". This is a kid who lives on pizza and pop. She polished off her portion, which is something she rarely does at other "fancy" restaurants. She also willingly tried the beet and arugula salads, sauteed mushrooms appetizer, and even a raw local oyster. Impeccable service and food, and lively atmosphere (most tables had 3 or more people).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014bishop's never fails to provide gorgeous food and excellent service. my first choice in vancouver for a guaranteed evening of outstanding eating and drinking.Special Features:
- light and deliciouspandamanDined on 9/6/2014A great dining experience. We had the elk and snapper special of the day. Both were great, but most surprisingly, we felt very healthy after. Our dishes were not laden in oil, cream and butter, but had a rich flavour to all the food. Well worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayJaskeyDined on 9/4/2014It was a special occasion and the restaurant performed perfectly.Special Features:
- Old favouriteTnT1Dined on 9/4/2014We all commented on the fact that the menu was short but with lots of choice. The food was excellent, the tuna tartare was delicious, and the elk very tasty, though maybe not quite as tender as we had hoped for. This is an old favourite and we will go back again when next in townSpecial Features:
- Excellent and IntimateCheBuonoDined on 9/2/2014The quality of food and service is superb. Local seafood, local farm stock, local produce and world class wines. This is a Vancouver dining gem. The service also brings us back when we want an excellent meal. The staff are knowledgeable and courteous so that you're taken care of and yet you have the space and time to enjoy an intimate dinner with your party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good with some caveatsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014Food and service were great, however I felt it was a bit overpriced. I found the atmosphere a bit stuffy but that's a matter of place, I tend to prefer a more lively environment.Special Features:
- An Enduring ClassicfoodandwinoDined on 8/24/2014John Bishop is one of the great hosts and restauranteurs of Vancouver! I've been coming here since his early days and have never been disappointed. Even though I only visit on rare occassions when I come to this city, his staff are talented, genuine and go out of their way to make you feel like family. John is one of the most sincere people I have ever met and welcomes you personally with care and attention to often lacking in restaurants today. Abel and his staff even recall what you like, where you've sat and with an attention to detail rarely experienced unless you are a movie star or spending massive dollars. One of the first to champion local food with a flair. Don' miss this restaurant.Special Features:
- Vancouver highlight64yoDined on 8/24/2014Dinner at Bishop's is always a highlight when my wife and I visit Vancouver. Congenial staff, impeccable service, genteel ambiance, and the food is out of this world.Special Features:
- BishopfiliaDined on 8/23/2014Hard to imagine a dinning experience being better than this. Food and service exemplary combined with a friendly caring atmosphere created by the staff.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Food is excellent, service very nice and friendly, atmosphere very quiet and romantic, a good place for a special occasion as it's a bit pricySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best one yet!SuburbFoodiesDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I go to Bishops every year on our anniversary (even though we live in the suburbs!). We thoroughly enjoy ourselves and make new memories every time we go. It is always unbelievable food and amazing service but last week they outdid themselves. We even went to the back kitchen to tell the chef how amazing the food was. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Vancouver, B.C. vacationSFsteveDined on 8/22/2014Many places to dine in Vancouver went to Bishop's because one can have a wonderful dining experience and able to converse with others. The restaurant has been a reliable choice for years. Every visit to Vancouver includes dining at Bishop's. The only negative is the price of wines in all restaurants due to taxation and high markups.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great Servicelangleyfoodie10Dined on 8/22/2014Bishop's has a great locally-sourced menu that is always changing. You can tell that the staff has a real passion for food and wine. John Bishop stopped by our table to chat which was enjoyable. The staff was super-attentive, but never got in the way. Bishop's is definitely one of the best restaurants in Vancouver.Special Features:
- Great serviceTraceyvalgalVIPDined on 8/17/2014The thing that stood out for me other than the food was the service. The family joined me there for my birthday dinner and the staff were so great. Treated me extra special! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superbOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014We had an excellent meal. The designer cocktails were delicious!! Loved the chocolate cherry dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- memorable eveningfoodtravellersDined on 8/16/2014Starting with the welcome at the door by Mr Bishop the service throughout the evening was just right... warm but not in-your-face friendly... competent and respectful, not arrogant like some of Vancouver's other higher-end establishments. We definitely felt the evening was about us, not them. Quality of food as well as menu composition and wine selection exceptionally good. Pricey for sure, but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014I was very impressed with this restaurant in every aspect. The food was great, the drinks were great, and the service was excellent. I will be going here again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Eating at Bishops is always a wonderful experience. The service has always been excellent. The food is amazing. My favorite is the oysters but everything is good. Love going when we have the chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemCliffsidersDined on 8/13/2014We had one of our best meals EVER at this charming restaurant. Sublime food, including duck that was probably the best I ever tasted, and service that was attentive without being annoying. Lovely ambience...REAL candles, linen, and silver! It is a little out of the way, but well worth the effort and fairly hefty tab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Vancouver FavoriteVanVisitorDined on 8/10/2014I've been coming to Bishop's for 12 years, on visits to Vancouver, and it never disappoints. Great food, wine, and service, in a relaxing, composed, atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner, innovative foodWineBarbarianVIPDined on 8/10/2014Yet another great meal at Bishop's with top quality, innovative food and warm service! Delicious creamy gazpacho from Sungold tomatoes with a spoonful of fennel sorbet and poached prawns was amazing! I've eaten here for 24 years and never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner EVER!!!FirsttimerDined on 8/10/2014My hubby and I went to bishops for our first anniversary. We have been together for 8 yrs and have never dined so well. We read reviews from round table how customers tried not to lick their plates. US TOO! The beef tenderloin my husband had ordered and the duck i ordered was Devine. We traded plates halfway through so we could experience both dinners. Yum. The staff was phenomenal throughout the whole meal. For desert (I was too full to order my own) I ate most of my hubby's grilled peach and ice cream with candied nuts OMG, delicious! He scored huge brownie points for our first anniversary choosing Bishops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BishopsFrancophile206VIPDined on 8/9/2014A long-standing restaurant, but with new-style locavore sensibilities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bishop'sdinnerdinerDined on 8/9/2014First time at Bishop's. A real treat. Service was very good and the food was fantastic. It is a real gem. I'd definitely return.Special Features:
- Amazing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/2/2014I have to say that I felt very welcomed into Bishop's and that everyone (and I mean everyone) was warm, thoughtful and helpful. I had delicious food and possibly the best salmon I've ever eaten but was even more impressed by the service and the care for each guest.Special Features:
- Best of VancouverterrykDined on 8/2/2014Excellent, service and food. My vote for best in vancouver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb84BDayDined on 7/27/2014We celebrated my husbands birthday at Bishops and what a treat it was. From the moment we walked in the staff ensured our every need was met. Service was excellent and the atmosphere was quiet. This allowed our party to visit and relax without competing over the noise of piped in music. The food was exquisite and our waiter was attentive and went out of his way to ensure that dietary needs were handled discretely and quickly. Appetizers and Entrees were exceptional. The wine list was extensive and the staff was very knowledgable when asked about the various wines we were interested in. We chose a wine which was suggested by the restaurant and guess what, it was great! Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- The Personal TouchSes123VIPDined on 7/25/2014Mr Bishop and his staff spend time talking to all their customers. The food was very carefully prepared and presented, making good use of seasonal ingredients. A very pleasant evening.
- With our American FriendsIHughDined on 7/22/2014As we arrived John Bishop was at the door to greet us. This set the stage for a wonderful evening with American friends and for them a repeat occasion. The food was wonderful and the wine selection, suggested by our waitress was just right. This is not our first visit and it will not be our last.Special Features:
- Always the Best!MumzyVIPDined on 7/20/2014Bishop's is hands-down our favorite restaurant in Vancouver. John Bishop is so welcoming and warm and the staff all make you feel as if you are the most important guests they have ever served, and not in a cloying or insincere manner. We do all our favorite special occasions here; Anniversary, Family birthdays, Valentine's... the perfect spot for a romantic dinner for 2 or a small group dinner as well. The food selections are always spot on according to the season, what's fresh and local. Great wine list and cocktails/bubblies as well. The homemade breads are to die for too. Had the most wonderful homemade charcuterie platter this last visit... fantastic evening!Special Features:
- Going Back!TasteBudCravingsDined on 7/18/2014Delightful evening! Their menu is small with a nicely balanced selection of proteins and a focus on fresh and seasonal. Featured starter was a charcuterie plate which was outstanding. My rack of lamb arrived a perfect medium rare and beautifully presented. My dining partners ordered the halibut, gorgeous on the plate and also prepared to perfection. The portions were generous but not overwhelming. Staff were friendly, attentive and professional and made us feel right at home. Decor is understated/elegant. The perfect, relaxing dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminder of IrelandNewFoodieDined on 7/16/2014Last year I went to ireland on holiday and passed my time in Dublin eating at the Michelin star rated restaurants - Bishop's was a very welcomed reminder of all the things I loved about my European dining experience. The restaurant was beautiful and tastefully decorated - including candles and crisp white linens. The service was quick, polite, and very fun. We were able to joke around with everyone that came to our table and share a great laugh. The real gem was the food! VERY delicious! Everything was rich and luxurious. Definitely would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!IWFoodieVIPDined on 7/15/2014I had chosen the restaurant based on web reviews, but Sunday my friend Donna had also mentioned it. Just my kind of small, intimate, QUIET place so difficult to find these days that gave you the feeling of being in someone’s private home. Even candles in silver candlesticks on the tables, something I rarely see in restaurants. Food and service were great as well!Special Features:
- Delicious and charmingVinceDined on 7/12/2014I booked a table at Bishop's for the last evening of my trip in Vancouver, and the awesome people there made it a night to remember. Upper standards room and food, in a charming and however relax ambiance. Remarkable and friendly service, excellent food (I really *loved* the rabbit), and perfect wine choice from the crew. A noticeable choice of wines to-the-glass. If you go to Vancouver, this is a place to visit ! Reservation is highly recommended.Special Features:
- Dinner at Bishop'sArgosyvrDined on 7/11/2014There's something about Bishop's which sets it apart from the other outstanding restaurants in Vancouver : It's like having a fabulous dinner at a friend's house. I go three or four times a year and I'm always impressed. The staff is amazing and embrace guests as part of their family. They have a way of perfectly pacing the dinner and making the evening memorable.. The menu and preparation are creative and contemporary. The chef sources the very best local ingredients and creates dishes which delight the palate.. John Bishop has created a true gem of a restaurant and deserves all the kudos received. This is fine dining at it's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Vancouver dining essentialAtomicDined on 7/10/2014We enjoyed a fantastic dinner at Bishops for our 10th anniversary. We'd heard of Bishops, but oddly had never found our way there before. The menu features beautiful fresh local seafood and loc produce, exquisitely prepared. Two items I recommend are the warm asparagus salad and anything that includes octopus. The menu was backed by a very good wine list, again featuring many fantastic BC wines to complete the terroir. Service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.