Biscuits and Blues
401 Mason St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Biscuits and Blues
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.biscuitsandblues.com/
- Phone: 4152922583x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 11:30pm
Club: closes half hour after show ends
Show: please go to
http://www.biscuitsandblues.com for lineup info.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Southern
- Executive Chef: Emmanuel Garba
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for more details or email email@example.com
- Private Party Contact: Steven Suen 4152922583x
- Entertainment: Biscuits and Blues was established since 1995. The venue located in the basement had received numerous best blues club award since 1995. Music is presented nightly ranging from Blues to Jazz, R&B, Zydeco, Funk and American Roots.
- Special Events: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cross Street: Geary St.
- Public Transit: Muni: 30 & 45 stops at front door, 38 Geary, Powell Station; Cable Car;
BART: Powell Station
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking deal: If you park at the Mason O'Farrel garage at 325 Mason St., you may park for up to five hours for a flat rate of $12. You must present your ticket stub from the show to the parking attendant prior to paying for your tickets.
Street Parking after 6pm is free. Best to get an advantage by queuing earlier than 6pm. Do not park at tow Away zones on Geary Street prior to 6pm.
Abundant of parking lots located within two blocks.
A word from Biscuits and Blues
Located in the heart of San Francisco's historic Theater District, Biscuits and Blues is a West Coast musical landmark where every seat provides an up-close, live music experience. Our all-ages supper club is a great place for the whole family to encounter America's greatest musical heritage! We have live music every night featuring national and Bay Area acts. Our full bar and soulful Southern menu compliments the savory sounds of our top-notch talent. If you’re trying to decide between food and music, you can indulge in both with us!Continued
No refunds-no cancellations for show tickets.
No refunds-no cancellations for show tickets.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Biscuits and Blues - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
Biscuits and Blues reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
late-night find (62)hot spot (41)vibrant bar scene (36)neighborhood gem (36)special occasion (34)good for groups (32)romantic (24)fit for foodies (16)notable wine list (3)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- music yes, food noChowHoundVIPDined on 9/16/2014It's an intimate club enviroment that works great for the music, but we ordered 3 of the house specials and they were mediocre at best. You won't leave hungry as the portions are large, but they are rather flat. The best part was the biscuits with the honey butter. If you want to go listen to some music, great place for it, but don't go for dinner. Also, the service was slow. I'm assuming they were short handed. The waitress was hustling, but there were more clients then she could handle. She was friendly and didn't get stressed, but one more server would have helped.
- Great food, better music & vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014My wife and I went to Biscuit and Blues on a Monday night. The place wasn't packed but busy enough. We'd requested good seats on OpenTable but once you're there you'll see that there are no bad seats! Food was great and reasonable price. The live music was incredible. We're from the UK so can't visit regularly but will go again and will recommend to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Blues clubOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/13/2014Come for the music not for the food! Very good Blues Club. Great music.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We didn't go to biscuits and blues for dinner. We went for a show - was at 10 pm. When we tried to make reservations at another restaurant through your site for earlier that evening, we got kicked off and told we couldn't make a reservation because it was in the same proximity as another one. Ended up having to do it the old fashioned way and call the restaurant directly. Corporate America at its finest. Your site is also quite slow and hard to navigate. The fact that your questionnaire refers to "rate your dining experience" means you don't really know the outlets that you are making reservations for. While you can get dinner at biscuits and blues, it is primarily a music venue. Not a lot of meals served there at 10 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent bands, mediocre foodflyboyDined on 9/11/2014I regularly visit San Francisco and when I do I always try to visit Bisquits and Blues. Most of the occasions they offer VERY good blues music. Of course, there are variations. Unfortunately, the food is not as good as the music. Pity, because I really like to have dinner while listening to the band. What´s missing about the food? Every sense of finesse and love. You do not need to leave hungry, it´s not that bad. But nothing to brag about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed BagOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Arrived at 7 p.m. for drinks and dinner before early show. No host to seat us (servers had to do it). Very few tables filled at that time but instead of taking our drink order when we were seated our obviously inexperienced server disappeared to go and seat others in her section. Had to flag her down to order a few draft beers and by the time we got them 15 minutes had passed since we sat down. And, this was at a time the place was not busy. When beers arrived we ordered food but didn't get it until another 25 minutes had passed. This was our 3rd time going to dinner and a show (which was great,btw) at B&B and having tried several entrees the BEST is fried chicken with a side order of biscuits. Don't bother with the other stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great basement blues experiencetheeggDined on 9/10/2014Great beer selection, we tried various sharing plates and the food was well prepared and tasty. Service was prompt, all round good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small venue for MusicimthereDined on 8/30/2014Every seat in the house - the best! Sound - awesome. Talent - off the hook. Service - couldn't be better. Suggestion for management, if not already in place - offer bar knapkins with iced drinks. Thanks - to performers for their personal touch to the performanceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Superb music which is what we went for and food was surprisingly good after our concierge warned us off! The only thing that let it down was the incredibly slow service, our food took over an hour to arrive and people who came in much later received theirs ahead of us and we were only a party of 3!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biscuits & Blues a SurprisefoodiejudyDined on 8/30/2014We were pleasantly surprised by the food at Biscuits & Blues. Most venues in SF offering dinner with the show have lousy food but the Southern comfort food here was very good. We enjoyed the show and had a moderately priced (for SF) meal as well. Recommended.Special Features:
- Fun NightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014The servers were on top of it the entire dinner & show. Live music was great!Special Features:
- clownDined on 8/29/2014This is a blues place. Food was good but secondary to the musicSpecial Features:
- Amazing! Great food! Great folks!MusikLife86Dined on 8/29/2014Though the night had to come to an end. There was no shortage of anything here at Biscuits and blues. From giant servings, to an amazing cast of smiling faced servers. The entertainment is always on point. From the cool sound guy in the back to the the front man blowing them notes! The room is always filled with joy. We have been to this spot over a dozen times. I have to say I can still wow her with the joy she gets when I say, "let's go to our spot." We love the music! Support it and live it. Thank you for always showing us a great time for our buck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the bluesNeveragainDined on 8/29/2014The music was not blues at all, the food was Bland! The biscuits were the best thing about that place!!
- not so goodGourmetsDined on 8/23/2014Food was not good at all. Would have been better somewhere else.
- Biscuits&Blues, music great, food?PaulMDined on 8/20/2014I have been going to Biscuits and Blues a few times a year for at least 7 years. Once again last week I took a friend to see the Laurie Morvan Band and have dinner. The band was great but the food has changed. It seems less authentic Southern and the crabcakes are no longer available. We had hot wings that were nicely presented but not as hot as they used to be and a Cajun dish that was not authentic. Pity - this used to be a place for blues and the food of the South but it was clear most of the crowd were fans, not there as much for the food as they used to be.Special Features:
- Great EveningMikeDined on 8/17/2014We were visiting San Francisco and I noticed on Yelp that Mitch Woods was playing there, am a fan and it was block from the hotel so off we went. It is a subterranean place and pretty dark but after all it's a blues club so that is what you get. Our server was great, very helpful and responsive. Food was a pretty good rendition of Cajun fare, I had the Etouffe which was quite good and my friend had the jambalaya, she liked it. Music was exceptional, they had a great sound system; loud enough to be fun but not deafening. All in all an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveDined on 8/16/2014Great food, intimate blues ambiance and milieu. FunSpecial Features:
- Keeping the blues aliveDikRamboneDined on 8/15/2014Biscuits and Blues is keeping the blues alive in the bay. A constant stream of great blues acts in a great small club atmosphere. A true gem for music and food lovers alike.Special Features:
- What a gem!FindagemDined on 8/15/2014We love B&B! Been there 5-6 times and the place never disappoints. Have never eaten dinner there, we go to enjoy the live music. Yes, it's loud, in a good way. You get to be up close to wonderful performers as they pour out their heart and soul. Mixed drinks are good, service is great too. We will be back next time we're in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014The food in Biscuits & Blues cannot be faulted. It was very flavoursome and tasty. We had the ribs and the crawfish etoueffe for entrees. The corn & shrimp fritters for starters were melt in the mouth, and very 'more-ish'. It's just a pity the night we went, that there wasn't a lot of people in the restaurant. That meant the atmosphere for the show was non-existent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Up close and in person.MMMMAMDined on 8/9/2014Great entertainment in a cabaret style setting, with food and bar service. You come for the music. this is my third trip to Biscuits and Blues and the entertainment has always been stellar. Try the peppered brisket… its better than the biscuits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great music...SteveDined on 8/8/2014We saw Tony Macalpine here on 8/8, and it was great. The food is excellent, the drinks top notch, and to top it off, it's a great intimate club for live music.Special Features:
- Tony MacAlpine showdublinmmDined on 8/8/2014This was an awesome show, I just wish however that the meet and greet was not right next to the door, everyone was piled up on the stairs waiting to get a CD or a hand shake. The sound system was great and the show was terrific. The early show was very nice to have a dinner first. I was very happy with my seats up on the side above the floor. The food was really good. The waitress was super nice.
- Great entertainment, poor servicenotablefoodsDined on 8/3/2014If you're looking for blues, this is the place to go. Unfortunately, the service the night we went was quite horrible. We arrived at 6:30, ordered drinks at 6:45, and didn't get our first round of drinks until 7:40.Special Features:
- Great food!BirthdaygirlDined on 8/1/2014Very good food! Need more air condition but overall we had a great time, listening to great jazz!Special Features:
- Food Good, Band Even BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Went to Biscuit & Blues on Friday, 8/1 for the first time. Booked the early show for dinner, and the parking garage is right down the street (show you tickets, get discount at exit too). Although the venue looks a bit like it's seen many years of gigs, we were pleasantly surprised with the food. Had the famous biscuits with honey butter, along with the legendary fried chicken and seafood lasagna and we were not disappointed. Service was a bit slow though, even though there were two gals/one guy working. Band was great - The Brad Wilson Band. They put on a show, not just standing up there playing music. The Harp player stood out in our minds as one of the best. We will definitely be back, and would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place!GoGiantsDined on 7/30/2014We had the New Orleans style dinner of shrimp creole and crawfish étouffée. The food was great!! Listened to Alvon, he was awesome! Not only did he play great blues music but he interacted with the crowd. He was very entertaining, we didn't want the show to end. I would definitely recommend biscuits and blues for dinner and show. We will go there again next time we go to San Francisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for Blues & Food!DwayneVIPDined on 7/30/2014If you like Jazz, Blues, and good southern food, then this place is worth a visit. I was disappointed that a southern food venue did not have southern deserts, such as sweet potato pie, or banana pudding, or cobbler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MusicronnitexasDined on 7/29/2014The food was ok but expensive for what it was. The music and ambience totally made up for it. I would plan on eating before the show and just having a drink as you enjoy the music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come for music and soul foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2014I reserved a table because that's really how you book tickets to performances at Biscuits and Blues. Drinks, food and service were excellent. Musicians the night I came (Memphis Gold and band) were off the hook. My only regret is that I only stayed for the first show and not both.Special Features:
- Rockin Blues!OmnomDined on 7/26/2014This venue has a wonderful energy and intimate feel due to the small size. Everyone has a good view of the stage and the sound is great. The food and drinks were also quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one small problemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014the drinks where weak. and when agreeing to have a two drink minimum one would appreciate the courtesy of them tasting of some alcohol, even n extra splash as a good gesture of gratitude. A single gesture is worth a thousand words and with this its sure to bring more drink orders! overall i still love this place and will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE BLUESluvthebluseDined on 7/22/2014Biscuit and blues is a great venue for intimate evening of the blues. We saw Chris Cain, who was magical.Special Features:
- Great blues bar!CrawlingKingsnakeDined on 7/19/2014Went here on July 17 to see Rick Estrin and the Nightcats. The show was fantastic. The club is small, and there really isn't a bad seat in the house. Excellent sound. The food was good. The Southern fried chicken was juicy and crispy, very delicious. The biscuits are tasty, also. My wife had a salad with chicken and shrimps in it. She said it was nice. Because of the show, servers sometimes can't come as often as you would like. It also took some time to pay my bill at the end of the show, probably because they time it so everyone is paying at the same time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Professional, cozy, deliciousjaybeeDined on 7/19/2014Cozy and comfortable, Biscuits and Blues honors live music featuring fabulous, notable performers. They have all close-up seating and a giant stage so no matter where I sit, I always get a great view, hear well-balanced sound and feel close to the performance. The performers also chat with the crowd and make the experience personal. The dinners are true southern-style. I especially love the southern fried chicken--moist on the inside and crispy on the outside, not greasy. Corn fritters are loaded with corn kernels and the greens are loaded with flavor. This is the best place to experience live blues in San Francisco and very affordable. Seating is very quick plus fast service from wait staff who are friendly and also enjoy the music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunDebiDined on 7/18/2014This turned out to be one of the best finds of our San Francisco visit. The staff was very friendly, the service was prompt, and the menu covered all the southern favorites from fried chicken to crawfish etouffee. The chef came out to talk to us and was an entertainer in his own right. The band that night happened to be from our hometown of Nashville and was terrific. They gave us a shout out from the stage and were very friendly before and after their set. Some of the other customers got up and danced making the whole performance great fun. I would recommend this place to anyone wanting dinner and an entertaining two hours.Special Features:
- Great Jazz and BlueschazelDined on 7/13/2014Fantastic little jazz and blues place. be sure to get a reservationSpecial Features:
- Good southern cooking, great musicTDaKDined on 7/13/2014This was my second visit and the first for my wife and daughter. We all enjoyed the food a lot; the prices were rather high for a standalone restaurant but reasonable for a music club. My crawfish etouffee was somewhat spicier than most, which I liked and overall the best I've had outside New Orleans. My daughter was crazy about the fried chicken, which I had on my first visit, and my wife was very happy with her shrimp dish. The music was what drew us and definitely the main reason just about everyone in the place was there, but the quality of the dining was a terrific addition. Waiters did their best to be attentive but got strapped as the place filled, more staff were needed by about halfway through the first set.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go here for the food!AnonDined on 7/12/2014Saw a show here on Saturday. Had a shrimp & avocado ceviche and a shrimp louis salad. Both were really awful. The show was good however.