Birroteca - Baltimore
1520 Clipper Mill Rd
Baltimore, MD 21211Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Birroteca - Baltimore
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bmorebirroteca.com/
- Phone: (443) 708-1934
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Friday 5:00 pm - Midnight
Saturday 12:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Sunday 12:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: John Hicks
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Birroteca - Baltimore
Located in the Hampden/Woodberry area of Baltimore, we're the destination for modern, rustic Italian cuisine, crafted using ingredients sourced from local ranchers, farmers and local fisherman. Guests enjoy communal dining service in a refined, casual setting. We offer 24 craft beers on tap in addition to an Italian focused wine list, and unique craft cocktails prepared with artisan distilled spirits and house-made mixes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Birroteca - Baltimore - Best Restaurants in Hampden ›
Birroteca - Baltimore reviews from OpenTable diners
282 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (195)neighborhood gem (168)vibrant bar scene (138)hot spot (120)good for groups (94)special occasion (61)romantic (50)notable wine list (48)late-night find (34)great for lunch (24)great for outdoor dining (23)kid-friendly (19)great for brunch (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great spot.familyDined on 11/24/2014Alwasys loved this spot and it is now a really terrific restaurant; white tablecloths, good service, delicious food. Always very crowded, however and very noisy.Special Features:
- Fun for a Saturday nightbuzybDined on 11/22/2014Great location for catching up with my former college roommates, the restaurant was busy and loud but overall we had a very good experience over delicious food and drinks. Parking is tight, but after a few spins through the parking lot you'll find a spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit the spotfoodieKDined on 11/21/2014Although the idea of artisan pizza is what drew us there on a Friday night, I'm so glad we tried more than that. The plum bruschetta with ricotta and thyme honey was truly out of this world, and such a surprise. The meat / cheese platter was generous and delicious - explained by our waitress and artfully arranged in the kitchen. Kudos on a unique and beautiful menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceDissatisfiedDined on 11/21/2014The restaurant was freezing cold. Our waiter was rude. The hostess would not let us sit where we wanted even though at 5 the restaurant was empty. The pizza was cold and toppings just thrown on top and too heavy and not enough sauce or cheese . then they reheated it and crust all hard. the pasta dish was way too small for the price but good. We used to love this place. Gone downhill.
- crafted.Adp329Dined on 11/19/2014Sat at the bar with Nick & Anna. The banter behind the bar created a welcoming, fun, and relaxed vibe. Fantastic pairings created by the duo. The Remoli was the perfect fit for the Annaferno (the bartenders namesake). Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come Hungry!JennaVIPDined on 11/18/2014We had great food and great service! Our server Megan was wonderful, very helpful and gave us tons of menu tips. The management team also came over to check on us several times. As always the food was excellent - we have been here several times and never ordered something that wasn't great! If you are looking for great food with a foodie twist this is the place to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really deliciousCindySVIPDined on 11/17/2014Great food in a charming, energetic atmosphere. Hopping on a Monday night - obviously many others have found this place and love it. The cheeses that we started with were three of the chef's own selections, and they were a cut above what we expected and came with creative accompaniments. Had a perfect arugula salad perfect before diving into a pizza that had a scrumptious combination of toppings. A great beer menu to boot and attentive service - we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience with great service and menuRobertWVIPDined on 11/16/2014Birroteca has great ambience, incredible draft beer selection and really leading edge menu for casual dining. Lots of healthy vegetable alternatives with plenty for all palates. Was a welcome haven for a cold and rainy night. Friendly staff with attentive service and food to match.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!MoMoDined on 11/16/2014Food was awesome. The server and manager knew very little about the food, ingredients and preparation. I would come back for sure for the food. I had been there once before and sat at the bar. The bartender was well-versed on the menu, wine list, beer and cocktails. I have spent 15 years in the food service industry and have high expectations when I eat out. Food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!!!Beatnix1054Dined on 11/15/2014I would rave about Birroteca however I don't want everyone else taking my reservation times. But if really, really good food and great wine (great beer options) are what your looking for then you should give this place a try, again just not on a night when I want a reservation. The Chef and the entire staff try and make every visit a dining pleasure. Great Place ( a little chilly downstairs in the colder weather, dress warm) A must visit restaurant with great Italian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy at Birotecca!Foodie4everDined on 11/15/2014We have eaten here several times and are NEVER disappointed!! Great parking and if you can get a reservation, you will have a fun dining experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional service and great food!Kendra41Dined on 11/14/2014I now know why it's usually hard to get a reservation during the weekend. It was worth eating dinner at 9 PM. We were greeted immediately by staff who were helpful and knowledgeable on menu items. Our server made really great recommendations for beers on tap and the pizza. We also tried the the eggplant fries which were addicting and great to share. As a couple who is new to the area, we can't wait to bring our friends back to Birroteca when they visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birroteca Delivers!MaggiVIPDined on 11/14/2014Pretty simple review when the experience is this good: great service (thank you Brendan), great ambiance, great drink selections, and really fabulous food. Birroteca knows how to deliver the best of everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lizzyDined on 11/14/2014their steak tartar and meat and cheese board was excellent! everything else was ok, but didn't blow me away.Special Features:
- KarenEDined on 11/14/2014Our server last Friday was very friendly and cheerful. Very upbeat and added to our great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This in one you do not want to missFoodlinesDined on 11/11/2014Wait staff is outstanding & host was very accommodating when we explained that noise level was too high upstairs so we were moved to a table downstairs. Food was incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsSophia621VIPDined on 11/9/2014Upon my umpteenth trip to Birroteca, I'm happy to say that everything is as great as ever- and that they brought back the original kale salad! The only times I wish I lived outside of my own Baltimore neighborhood are the times I think about how often I would eat at Birroteca if I could walk there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laresa1024Dined on 11/9/2014Excellent food- I only wish the courses were spaced out better. Everything came out at once, so we felt a little rushed eating. Definitely order the brussel sprouts, and if going on a Sunday, the figgy piggy!Special Features:
- A gourmet pizza place.ShelleyDined on 11/8/2014Our friends chose Birroteca. We did not realize that its basically a pizza place. It is probably wonderful and gourmet if you like pizza. I could have died for a simple chicken or other entree. They only had one entree Saturday night, steak which we don't eat. The eggplant dish sounds great- but is only served one night per week. The other entrees also sound great- but are only served once per week. The crispy brussels sprouts were amazing. I put that with the meatballs, and my meal was great in the end.Special Features:
- Good but not greatbmoreyumDined on 11/8/2014The Brussels sprouts were to die for.. Amazing! But the pizza was eh, okay. We got the meat pizza and the margherita. Maybe my expectations were too high for it, but I was expecting more authentic pizza rather than the more doughy, not-that-crispy pizza that came out. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't knock-your-socks-off great. Good ambiance, but know that if you sit upstairs for dinner there is a TV up there. It was distracting for me. Good service, off the beaten path, parking was easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerDinerVIPDined on 11/7/2014All dining areas are too noisy. Food & service fine. When making the reservation, one is asked for preferable seating area. That seems to be ignored. Asked for main dining area and was taken to upstairs dining area when there were empty tables in my preferred area. Upstairs is the noisiest room in the building. Although food & service were fine, the upstairs is not a comfortable place to eat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply FabulousteachingwellVIPDined on 11/7/2014Having a pizza and beer place to go to that always delivers is something I take for granted. I have come to expect excellence from Birroteca, and they always deliver.Special Features:
- Great beer selection and good foodSarahWDined on 11/7/2014We ate in the bar area, which was a bit loud and we wish we had been in the other area for our dinner, but it was a fun atmosphere. Really liked the eggplant fries and the locavore pizza was just ok. The mushroom risotto was tasty although a bit salty. They let us get 1/2 pints for the beer, which is great because we never know which to try and like sampling. If go back to try some other dishes and to sit in the restaurant side - or sit at the bar for some beer and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian-likeJoeyRocketDined on 11/5/2014It's more of an Italian themed restaurant. The Duck pizza tasted good but a bit heavy on the dough. Not your Italian thin crust. Cheese salami platter was good but a little skimpy.
- Wild boar pasta was amazing!!!!Cap415Dined on 11/5/2014We went in the middle of the week and I ordered the wild boar pappardelle and it was fabulous. Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All-around greatMomof3Dined on 10/30/2014Excellent food, great beer, good atmosphere. Good service. Waiter was knowledgable.. Really helped us make good food & drink selections. Would Definitely go back.. One of the best meals we've had in Baltimore in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best at BirrotecaloverofgoodbeerDined on 10/26/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Baltimore, can't miss good pizza and wide selection of craft brewsSpecial Features:
- Good Pizza/SaladsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Go the meatball appetizer and stick to traditional pizzas. They can be very good. Same with salads, very fresh and polenta gnocchi. Tagliatelle was awash in cream sauce which overwhelmed sausage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendedBeatnix1054Dined on 10/26/2014First time dining at Birroteca but will not be my last. Food was delicious and ample portions. Good selection of wines and beers from which to choose. Great service with knowledgeable staff. I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!MaggiVIPDined on 10/25/2014What a fun afternoon – we thoroughly enjoyed Birroteca! This was our first visit but it will not be our last. We had the Fresh Burratta Cheese Bruschetta along with the Piazza Bianco……absolutely delicious! Our waitress, Megan, was a delight and took really good care of us. Chris, the General Manager, stopped by and we had a lovely chat. Thank you for a wonderful introduction to your restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanFanVIPDined on 10/24/20143 got their appetizers and 4th waited forever 3 got their main course and 4th waited forever Restaurant was apologeticI would recommend this to a friend.
- Group Dinner98GreyhoundDined on 10/24/2014We had a party of 3 couples and were seated in the lounge area at a high top. We ordered 5 apps and 3 pizzas. The food was fantastic along with the service, and the suggestions from our server. It was the atmosphere that we were looking for. One that was casual, a tad loud, so we wouldn't have to worry about being too loud chatting, and great eats/drinks. We had a fantastic experience!Special Features:
- The food makes it worth itMofitzDined on 10/24/2014Always the best food in town! And what a great selection of brews of all kinds. However, I wish all the customers understood the deal with the communal tables. It's awkward being seated next to a group that clearly doesn't want to share "their" table. That's my one request of the staff: educate your customers.Special Features:
- AwfulJimbo10788Dined on 10/23/2014I made reservations a month in advance for my girlfriends birthday. When we got to the restaurant, we were taken a communal table at the bar where the noise level was so high we couldn't even hear each other. We were told rudely by the host that we had to specify that we wanted a table in the dining room, and that there were no tables remaining in the dining room, despite the fact that I had made the reservation a month in advance. I will never be returning to Birroteca after the way we got treated there.
- Great spot!VBaltoDined on 10/23/2014Always good service and food. Great atmosphere and lively bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply amazingUcffalconVIPDined on 10/21/2014It was my first time eating here and it was for my birthday. I have to say the food was simply stunning, the beer list was not overly daunting and succinct enough to still have amazing choices to any beer drinkers delight. I can't stop recommending this place, the staff was amazing the manager talked to us to make sure our meal was perfect, made recommendations for drinks. Great food, great beer/wine list, and they have they're own parking... can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- BobbyDined on 10/19/2014As always, the service was outstanding and the food delicious. The calamari and brussel sprouts NEVER disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful quaint restaurantjcerniglowDined on 10/18/2014the atmosphere and food in this restaurant are unbelievable. terrific place to dine with friends. Prices are moderate and sizes are large. the best insalata caprese that I have ever had (even in Italy). I cant say enough nice things about this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't live up to the hypeBwil33Dined on 10/18/2014Made a reservation for 515p. I didn't specify dining room or bar area because I had never been to this restaurant. We were seated immediately in the dining room which was virtually empty at this hour except for the few families having dinner. My boyfriend and I asked to be seated in the bar area if possible. We were told they would try but turns out all the tables in the bar area were reserved so we chose to sit at the bar. The bar staff was great but the drink of the week was way too sweet. We had the duck pizza which was tasty but way to sweet as well . I ordered the wild boar bolognese pappardelle which was awful. It tasted as though someone took a bbq pulled pork sandwich and tossed it into the pasta. Sadly, we won't be returning.Special Features:
- The food was amazing!OMFoodiesDined on 10/18/2014Dined in a double date... We ordered the filet with squash risotto with a side of brussel sprouts. The steak was very flavorful and tender. Overall, the experience was great and we will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.