183 Riverside Ave.
Red Bank, NJ 07701Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.birravino.com/
- Phone: (732) 842-5990
- Hours of Operation:
Opening September 2014
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Victor Rallo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Birravino has a semi-private dining area that can accommodate up to 50 guests.
- Special Events: Visit www.birravino.com for our complimentary wine tasting events!
A word from Birravino
Birravino is a new restaurant concept created by Vic Rallo, host of Eat! Drink! Italy! on Create TV. Over the past 10 years, Vic has been fortunate enough to travel to Italy more than 20 times, discovering the delicious food, wine and culture of the Italian people. During his journeys, Vic has cooked and eaten in both obscure and off-the-beaten path Italian kitchens, as well as restaurants run by famous Michelin starred chefs. These experiences have encouraged Vic to share his passion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Birravino - Best Restaurants in Red Bank ›
Birravino reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (48)vibrant bar scene (46)fit for foodies (34)neighborhood gem (34)hot spot (28)notable wine list (25)kid-friendly (24)great for lunch (20)romantic (9)special occasion (8)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- High prices for small portions... unimpressive...ParkCitySkierVIPDined on 11/20/2014Just wasn't impressed. The beer selection was good, but the food was very forgettable and the portions were small leaving you unsatisfied. When the dinner arrived, I though we had accidently ordered the lunch portions. I'd had to see how small the lunch portions are! I don't want to walk away stuffed to the gills, but I at least want to feel satisfied that my meal was sufficient in curing my hunger, especially if I'm paying $12 for a side salad and $28 for a dish with one single short rib!Special Features:
- Birravino was disappointingLeslieDined on 11/16/2014The obscene noise level at Birravino combined with the group style seating (long, narrow tables accommodating several parties) makes it impossible to recommend. Although the food was decent, our party was disappointed at the very limited choices for a someone in the party who has a gluten allergy-- this in spite of having called in advance to ask about GF choices (incorrect information given by the person we spoke to). Fortunately the manager was great; he was extremely helpful and offered to make a number of things to accommodate but the anticipated choices were not among them as they were prepared in advance. What we did order was tasty (especially the Caesar salad) and the service was excellent but the whole experience was marred by the noise and failure to be able to order what was expected. Gluten free needs are so common today that perhaps Birravino should rethink their menu to make an expanded one for those with common dietary issues as well as have those answering the phone be better informed. Further, other area restaurants with group seating and a big bar scene creating a high noise volume have much higher ceilings perhaps allowing for the noise level to be less intrusive; at Birravino it just doesn't work.Special Features:
- RebirthOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/14/2014We were sad to learn that Basil T's was changing, but it seems to have been a change for the better. All the dishes we loved from their menu seem to be available at Birravino. They were extremely nice about our tardy arrival. Our waiter was very attentive. Their restaurant week menu included an incredible deal on some incredible wines - we even took a case home with us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same owners, newly renovated!!MuncherVIPDined on 11/12/2014The owners did a really good job renovating Basile T's into their new name, Birravino! Had a really outstanding fall salad with a delicious piece of salmon. Our waitress could've been more attentive but I think they didn't anticipate such a large lunch crowd in her defense! I will definitely be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice changeEdwinVIPDined on 11/11/2014The old Basil T Leafs was changed to Birravino. Smaller and cheaper dishes, newer and better brewed beers, more casual ambiance. The change is good and puts them I a better position for the upcoming competition (Gotham, Triumph brewery, Mcloone's, etc).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great Sunday lunchMishDined on 11/9/2014We truly enjoyed our Sunday lunch Italian style and my kitchen stayed clean. Kids had spaghetti and meatballs and loved the chocolate pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceLuv2trynewplacesDined on 11/8/2014Loved the atmosphere. Good was great. Smaller portions than most restaurants but just enough. Service was great. We were there early in the evening so don't know how it is later when most people start going out on a Saturday. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun new restaurantMargieDined on 11/7/2014We enjoyed our visit to Birravino. The vibe is fun and friendly and the food is earthly and delicious. We especially enjoyed the fresh pastas and greens salad with pomegranates and almonds. We will definitely return, perhaps with a large group.Special Features:
- Delicious pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/7/2014I had the Strozzapreti Bolognese for lunch and it was excellent. Perfect al dente pasta and the meat/cheese combination on the sauce was well balanced. My husband had the Rigatoni alla Norma, which was also very tasty. The service was quick and gracious. I loved that you get a bottle of water for the table immediately and never had to ask for it. We had their home brewed beers (Etna and Stout) which were also good, but I found the stout a little too bitter for my taste.Special Features:
- Happy it's still greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014We were nervous that the big change from Basil T's would be too dramatic, but Birravino is great. Comforting Italian dishes, and reasonable wine list. Try the lasagne. I never order lasagne in a restaurant, but couldn't resist this one. Enjoy.Special Features:
- UpgradeMiddletownManVIPDined on 10/31/2014The owners upgraded from the previous Basil T's concept, which had become stale, and have created a solid new bar and grill. We started with the pasta fagioli soup which was excellent. For the main course, I had the flank steak which was delicious, my wife had a pizza which was good. We finished it off with the tiramisu, which we both loved. They have a great wine list, and brew some of their own beers. Overall a great place.Special Features:
- Good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014My husband and I went to dinner at Birravino Oct.25th and had a lovely time. The food was excellent, fun atmosphere and our waiter, Patrick, was attentive without hovering. Will go back!Special Features:
- VERY NICE RESTAURANTPOTATOESVIPDined on 10/24/2014The décor was very nice and the food was good. Our waitress fine, but a little slow. Great place for a business luncheon. We enjoyed our lunch and will back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will come back...PhilDined on 10/22/2014We came in for dinner as we were customers at Basil T's numerous times. The food my husband and I had was excellent...the eggplant & rigatoni and the pumpkin ravioli. The antipasto was also very good. For us, we were disappointed for dessert. At Basil T's, my family & I loved the chocolate gelato & hoped to have that again. (Gelato was in between 2 cookies). We settled with the pistachio flavor which was just not the same! Please bring back the chocolate gelato!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately, not worth the priceKsoll23Dined on 10/21/2014I was so excited to try a new restaurant in Red Bank. This location was previously Basil T's which was always a great spot with good food and good craft beer, so I was surprised that a new restaurant was taking its place. So on to Birravino - The food is excellent (I ordered the lasagna) and service was great, but the new tables/chairs are beyond terrible. It might look cool, but is not comfortable at all - everyone in our group complained about how uncomfortable they were. Also, they served the bread in a paper wrapper right on the table - a bit strange - it should definitely be served on a plate. Lastly, considering the restaurant is called Birravino, the wine selection is very disappointing.Special Features:
- Birravino is just okwifesabrucefanVIPDined on 10/19/2014Birravinno is a concept restaurant combining food, beer and wine. The result is mixed. Food is high quality and moderately priced. Wine is also reasonable. The beer, however, is overpriced. I do like the renovations from the previous fantastic restaurant. Although I will go less now, I probably still will go.Special Features:
- Lunch & Dinner Experiences Greatdbug216Dined on 10/18/2014The only reason I didn't give five stars is because the service was slow. My friend and I weren't in a hurry, but really wanted a bottle of wine and we were starving to at least nibble. The wait staff is great though. Pleasant and friendly. The food was terrific, and being a vegetarian, there was plenty for me to choose from. Of course customizing a few things; which they had no problem with. We enjoyed our girl night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShortyDined on 10/17/2014Appetizer was great..dinner was not so great. Very noisy with a mediocre wine list. Really miss basil T'S which catered more to a romantic evening out..did not feel it was worth the price..left feeling disappointedSpecial Features:
- New, Good, will probably improveVinceTinNJVIPDined on 10/17/2014We at early; arrived around 5:10pm. We were seated quickly but it took a while for our waiter to come over to us even with about 5 of them congregating in the dining room with nothing to do. The seating is uncomfortable. Ours were stainless steel. Not all were. Our waitress was pleasant and attentive. The food was good. Newer Italian restaurant sauces can be over salted and over cooked but the food had great flavor. But I liked the flavors of the Italian food I was served and the vinaigrette on the salad was very nice and balanced. The meatballs could have been more dense and needed some more seasoning. I think everything was encouraging for a first visit. I will try them again, but I'll be sure to ask for a better seat.Special Features:
- We will go againNachoGX9000Dined on 10/13/2014Very cool, fun Italian bistro, excellent food with a very good beer & wine lists, can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAlexDined on 10/11/2014At first I was concerned of the change because I was a big fan of Basil Ts. But after giving it a shot I was pleasantly surprised. The food was awesome and service was great. The renovation inside and out is beautiful. You feel like your eating somewhere in Italy. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who wants great food and an array of wines. They also brew there own beer. How could you go wrong, I definitely give Birravino an A++++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work in progressrichieDined on 10/11/2014The revised concept of the former basil T's is ok but the execution leaves much to be desired at the ment. I always thought bAsil's was seriously underrated. Now it has fallen back and I don't understand why since it's a similar menu with smaller portions and somewhat lower prices. Maybe they will work put the kinks soon. Hope so.
- Eh.ShrDnrDined on 10/10/2014The food is excellent, menu is similar to the old Basil T's...unfortunately the portions are now tiny, especially considering the prices aren't much cheaper. It's also insanely loud...I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the new industrial look. Exposed metal everywhere with nothing to absorb the sound means you'll probably leave with a headache.Special Features:
- Too lively...SarabVIPDined on 10/10/2014Revised Basil T is attractive with varied tables..high low, small, group. We luckily got a 4 top early. Server woman welcomed us..seemed fine but the whole time she seemed to be rushing us along....as if it's Friday night, I need to churn the table. Food was ok,nothing special. Grilled calamari flavorful , spicy. We shared a pizza with veggies....fluffy crust but topping a bit dry and lacking clear flavors...maybe the breadcrumbs were the downfall. Server brought our bill....it was not ours.....when we told her...she just tore it up...and was not apologetic. As if she tried to pull if off...no we aren't paying a $120 bill...finally she brought ours at $60. Place is very very loud....no need to rush back, despite being a lively spot.Special Features:
- Not that much of a changeOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/6/2014I was a follower of the previous restaurant so I was particularly curious about trying, and see the changes. The room is refreshed, with a younger decor. Service is at his same level, and food kept up with the change. Portions are smaller. My only, and biggest disapointment were the desserts. Not only they got rid of that amazing chocolate cake, but also the new ones weren't anything to rave about. Plus, from a managing perspective, I belive you could sell more if you keep bringing the tray since the eyes also "eat".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New name, same great placeSUZEVIPDined on 10/4/2014the exterior and interior may have gotten an updated industrial look, but the place is still the same. Always good food, good service. I do like the new more open plan dining area. Can get very loud though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Sure Why They ChangedKatiegDined on 10/2/2014Formerly Basil's, now Birravino. The cheese platter app should be called Piccolo Formaggi because it's minuscule!! I ordered the sole special, my friend ordered salmon off the menu. Both entrees were not hot. There were a few dishes from Basil's that we miss on the new menu such as the broccoli raabe and Fettuccine Bolognese. It was lively but acoustics are not forgiving. I'm very happy they accept reservations via open table...a big plus. I'll def give another try.Special Features:
- Nice makeoverCocoLocoDined on 9/28/2014We always loved the restaurant when it was Basil's, but now we love it even more. It's a little noisy, it was tolerable and the service was a little slow, but we were in no hurry. We had the salad special and rice balls for starters and both were outstanding. For dinner, the potato pizza, vegetarian pizza and the Sunday gravy. All were delicious. Desserts were good too. The chocolate pudding with hazelnuts and caramel was really nice, as was the pistachio gelato. We also had the biscotti, which were a little dry, but the nicely flavored cannoli cream helped. Even the coffee was great. We've already made another reservation to go back!Special Features:
- Delicious but noisyDelneese1Dined on 9/27/2014The food and service were excellent but the noise level was ridiculous hard to hold any type of conversation. Our server had to repeat everything she said at both ends of the table. They should look into finding a way to keep the noise from bouncing off the ceiling. Otherwise I woul have given five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceItstheschistDined on 9/26/2014Overall wonderful experience from the moment we entered to the food, service. The new look is great. I like it better over Basil T. Fried olives, bolonaise and flat bread excellent. We'll be backSpecial Features:
- Stunning Food - wonderful service!LondonycVIPDined on 9/22/2014Absolutely love this place!! Wish I could go millions of times per day. Pizza bianca was delicious. Olive appetiser is amazing. Can't say enough good things!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicely done.. Very nicely doneRoSoDined on 9/21/2014Our sever Alex was outstanding. She had great eye contact and talked up the specials, one of which we ordered. The sauce with rigatoni, sausage, and meatball. Wow! It was great. My wife had the salmon and our 10yr old son had the chicken parm. ALL of our plates were clean ! Would come back at the next chance !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A SURE BETSaraVIPDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant was just updated. It looks much more current now with a more open and energetic vibe. The food is outstanding . You can get reasonable bottles of wine and great food! Eat anything from a salad to a hearty meal. Great pizza, meatballs, fish, pasta. One of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodie4FunVIPDined on 9/18/2014The renewed space looks. They opened up the main dining area very nicely. However, the remodeling also seemed to apply to the food. The prices remained the same, if not higher yet the portions seem t have gotten smaller. The prices are not worth the trip. And, the place is as loud as it ever was. Would be suitable enough for 1st time people, but for us who frequented the old Basil T's, it was disappointing.
- So loud I wouldn't return.SwissdogmomVIPDined on 9/17/2014The excellent food is completely overshadowed by the poor dining experience caused by excessive noise. The acoustics of the dining room make it impossible to hold a conversation, and we all left with a headache. I might order food to go, but will not return to sit in the dining room. The bar was actually quieter, and that is not saying much!Special Features:
- Very nice make-overfijixmVIPDined on 9/13/2014Visited on Saturday, first weekend opened. Service was excellent. Food was excellent. A little noisy inside, not much to absorb the sound. Very pleased and definitely recommended.Special Features:
- Will Go backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Food was excellent, Main dish is not that much so you have to order sides if your hungry. The pork saltimbocca as excellent! The new room is very noisy. they need to tone that down as it was hard to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Terrific, affordable foodFunforTwoDined on 9/10/2014The menu is great and the food terrific. They have kept the prices reasonable by not serving huge meals that you end up taking half of it home. Yet the portions are sufficient to satisfy you.Special Features:
- The following 44 reviews are from the Birravino reviews archive.