Birdhouse on Hennepin
2516 Hennepin Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55409Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Birdhouse on Hennepin
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.birdhousempls.com/
- Phone: 6123772213
- Hours of Operation:
Monday 11AM-9PM (1/2 Price Bottle Wine after 5pm)
Tuesday 11AM-9PM (Date Night)
Wednesday 11AM-9AM (Service Industry Night)
Happy Hour 3PM to 6PM Daily and 10PM to 12AM Fridays and Saturdays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Cross Street: W. 25th St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: If we’re not within walking distance…parking is ample on the street. Both sides of Hennepin between 25th and 25 1/2th, parking is usually available, or…
if you’re coming from the North on Hennepin, take a right at 25 1/2 and circle the block (to the right)…you’ll find a space.
if you’re coming from the South on Hennepin, take a left at 26th and circle the block (to the left)…you’ll find a space.
A word from Birdhouse on Hennepin
Stewart and Heidi Woodman of the acclaimed Heidi's Minneapolis are pleased to present the finer diner. Enjoy some diner classics without it being the typical greasy spoon. Join us in being part of the “quality revolution” by enjoying delicious and sexy options for the entire family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Birdhouse on Hennepin reviews from OpenTable diners
- Next time i will try your barDmello55VIPDined on 6/1/2013The food was great, Service was not, i am not sure if we even had a server for our table, drink and apps order was taken by bartender, entree order was taken by another server then when we got our apps there was no silverware for that table after 6-7minutes i had to flag down a staff member to get us silverware, we asked for dessert menu, one of the server drop those on the table and there was no one to take our order so we had to flag down the staff member who delivered our food to bring our check so we could pay I work in same industry, I understand there are busy days or under staff days but this did not look like one
- Good, but not particularly greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/1/2013Nice folks working there, but overall I probably won't go back. The house special drinks were "interesting" and in general the 3 of us that tried them were in agreement we wouldn't try again. The pea pate and the deviled eggs were really good as starters, the main courses weren't bad at all but I do think there are better around town. Also as has been mentioned by others, for the money of the main courses the portions are pretty small. The bread pudding desert was very good.
- Menu changed - not for the betterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2013For some reason, they have removed some of the great menu items (cauliflower, for one) and added some incredibly sub-par flatbread pizzas. The service is still great and the patio is one of my favorite in town, but sadly, I'm not sure I'll be back.Special Features:
- Love the sweet pea pâté!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2013I went to Birdhouse with a group of girlfriends on a weeknight and it was just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night on the PatioStPaulGUYDined on 5/18/2013The Outdoor seating facing Hennipen was alot of fun lots of people out and on the street. Food was above average and the service excellent. Sweet Pea Pate was flavorful and unique as well as the Bruchetta of the day with Black bean and chili oil. We odered the Califlower and Fries as sides both excellent. Main dishes we good but did not rise to the level of the other parts of the meal. The Idaho trout was moist but we expected more flavor, fennel root side on the plate was the best part; Fish Tacos were very tasty. We ordered drinks from the bar, excellent.Special Features:
- Great Happy Hour in UptownOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/18/2013Birdhouse has a fantastic selection of craft beers and interesting cocktails. The sweet pea pate and several other "snacks" are fantastic too. If you're in Uptown, Birdhouse is a good bet.Special Features:
- Fun lunchcookiemonsterDined on 5/16/2013second visit----small plates with innovative food is great idea and quite deliciousSpecial Features:
- I really enjoyed Mother'sWickedreviewerVIPDined on 5/12/2013I really enjoyed Mother's Day brunch at Birdhouse. Great food preparations. Nice ambiance. Great service. We had omelette special, cod cake po' boy, side salad, chilaquilles and bacon . Will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayVeggieLoverVIPDined on 5/4/2013We went to the Birdhouse based on reviews from City Pages and other mags in the area. We do think of ourselves as foodies (some of our faves - Cafe Levain, Saffron, Barbette), so you can take my review with a grain of salt if you don't like any of those places. Overall, we thought the food was just okay and the service was just okay. It was edible but nothing special. Honestly, we both felt like we could have made the meal we had without too much effort.Special Features:
- Although I was not overlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/1/2013Although I was not overly impressed, it has potential and would be interested it check in out in 6 months or so. Why I think that: Instead of feeling rustic or true to the birdhouse name, it felt cheap in places. The tables were just dated/cheap, but the napkins were appropriately kitchy. The dishes were plain/ IKEA-ish, but I was expecting more of "grandma's" old dishes. The wait staff was full of personality and knowledgable. The food was above par. Presenation was great. There is just something that feels disjointed. Perhaps it is still a work in progress. I think a birdhouse would be more cozy and quaint, but it was open, bland and cold almost in a failed attempt to be modern. I can't put my finger on it.
- Not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/28/2013Food was okay but service was inattentive and very slow. Went on a Sunday night, hardly anyone in the place but it took 10 min to get waitstaff attention and another 10 for them to bring water to the table. Not what I expect given that service at Heidi's is usually excellent.
- The appetizers were very disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/28/2013The appetizers were very disappointing. We ordered three and none of them were good at all. The menu sounds amazing but the execution was very mediocre. The entrees tasted fine but were not special. The pork belly was very overcooked.
- Clunky presentation (plating),OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/27/2013Clunky presentation (plating), lack of balanced flavor among the dishes, chaotic service. The charcuterie plate consisted of three slices of summer sausage cut in half. The crispy pork belly was an odd-looking three-inch cube that was difficult to cut, was not even close to crispy, and sat on a bed of lentils drowning in horseradish. It was inedible. The butterscotch budino (pudding) was about three spoonfuls. HUGE disappointment from the Woodmans.
- My husband and I had a reservationFoodAppreciationDined on 4/27/2013My husband and I had a reservation at 7:15 on a Saturday night. It was a nice evening so we opted for an outdoor table and got one on the second floor balcony. All of the staff were friendly and welcoming but they had two servers that "didn't show up"so our service was a bit uneven---long pauses between certain courses, the hostess and two different servers bringing food to our table. The food is healthy and sustainable and tasty. We opted to do small plates of appetizers and side dishes. The sweet pea pate, fish taco and lamb sliders were are all very good. Also enjoyed the salads and brussel sprouts. Had a great signature cocktail called "The Raven" too. All in all a good experience.Special Features:
- While the food was passableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013While the food was passable it certainly wasn't worth the price. Although the sauce was good on the daily special gnocchi,the shrimp was very tough (overcooked) and not worth $26 considering what you can get at Bar la grassa for example. Overall, the service was horrible..nice staff but totally not on their game. When you have to wait a half hour for a glass of wine and the next course comes and the table is still not cleared from the last course, while you are begging staff to take empty glasses, it really isn't worth any price. Too many other excellent options out there. We won't return.Special Features:
- negative review on the deliverywall0396Dined on 4/27/2013negative review on the delivery of our food order-all our food rider came at once, salads,soups and entree. poor planning on part of staff. otherwise food was Delicious.
- We had a lovely dinner. WefromRosevilleDined on 4/26/2013We had a lovely dinner. We started with cocktails. I had one with an herb infused rum and cava - lovely and refreshing. My husband had a more complex one that was vodka based, and he found it quite perfect. I had a number of small plates. All were great: the chicken liver mousse was served on toast, the sweet pea pate was YUMMY - so fresh and lovely, the lamb sliders were by far the best - complex spicy flavors, with 3 to an order. I also had the smelt fries. They were piping hot and crispy but not overcooked. Lovely. My husband had the fish tacos, which he said were quite good. He had the cavatelli with meatballs and a red sauce. It was very nice indeed. They serve dogwood coffee, which was perfect. Dessert portions are SMALL.Special Features:
- Some very interesting andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2013Some very interesting and delicious food. One meal was way to salty and they didn't comp it as it wasn't eaten. The signature drink was not worth it. (lavender) A little disjointed on the service, would hate to see it crowded.Special Features:
- Great Ambiance, great food,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2013Great Ambiance, great food, unbelivable work staff especially when they were short 2 staff. They told us upfront that they were short bought us a drink and were still attitive to our table. Highly recommend it and we will be going agian.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2013Unbelievable food! The service was a little slow in the beginning, but we were there on a Saturday evening at 6pm so we were fine with it. And the service was "perfectly" friendly (more happy-to-see-you and whatever-I-can-do than intrusively chummy!) We actually only left because we had theater tickets - otherwise, we would still be there eating! We are returning as soon as we can.Special Features:
- Unfortunate first impressionOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/20/2013After waiting 4-5 minutes to even be greeted at the hostess stand by anyone, we were finally seated right next to the only other people in the restaurant. Our server was sweet, but the music was so loud we couldn't hear that the special (which I ordered) had eggplant (which I don't like) in it. In spite of all that, the food was really OK and we probably should give it a second chance, but with the challenge we had finding parking, it will likely be a while.
- Ambience, Yes, Service, NoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2013Service started out good, but deteriorated toward the end, the servers on the 2nd floor were too busy, tired? By the end of the evening they had decided that a table of four women no longer mattered... We received dessert menus but had to wait 30 minutes to order, and then he forgot coffee. Some of the portions were extemely small, perhaps that's where the "Birdhouse" name comes from, the portions are for people who eat like birds. The cheese appetizer plate had 2 barely bite size morsels of cheese and one of the dessert "cakes" - less than three bites. It was expensive, approx. $40 per person with one drink each. When we left no one said "Thank you" or Good-bye. The food quality and ambience were very good, but the service was not.Special Features:
- Incredible food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/17/2013Absolutely spectacular food, and the service was excellent! The location and ambiance are only okay, but I would DEFINATELY go back for the food. Fresh ingredients, thoughtfully made, and very personable staff.Special Features:
- Poorly managed, understaffedJakeDined on 4/13/2013The restaurant seems terribly understaffed. We were there for dinner on a Saturday night- early (6:15). Most of the tables were full. We stood at the door for 3-5 minutes before our presence was even acknowledged. There was no hostess. Once seated, it became clear that there were two people waiting tables- one upstairs, one downstairs- and one person assisting with water refills, busing, and bringing food to table. Each of the waitstaff seemed to be covering about eight tables. One item never came, but we never saw our waiter after the appetizers to be able to alert him until he was handing us dessert menus. Poorly managed.
- Unique ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013Everything was nice. All staff seemed sincere in wanting to make it a good experience for me and my friend. I enjoyed how flavorful my food was. Will be fun to dine outside when the weather gets better. I'm glad I went.~Special Features:
- Heidi's is an incredible restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2013Heidi's is an incredible restaurant, so I was excited to visit Birdhouse. While the food was excellent, the service was sorely lacking. I'm guessing our waiter had too many tables to manage, but I would have had a second glass of wine if asked, and offering dessert seemed to be an afterthought. I wish I could say I'd remember the food but, I'm afraid I'll instead remember the inadequate service so don't plan to return.
- This was our first time atshellygirlVIPDined on 4/6/2013This was our first time at The Birdhouse. Fab food & really a wonderful surprise. Service/bus boy was spotty, maybe they were shorthanded, but our server was very fun & helpful.Special Features:
- We had a great night withOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/6/2013We had a great night with 8 friends on the second floor; awesome food, nice service, and a great time had by all.Special Features:
- Perhaps had expected too much.Diner321VIPDined on 4/6/2013Perhaps had expected too much. Location was tired and appeared shabby, not trendy. Food was average, very small portions with entrees of pasta and chicken and well overpriced for what it was. Will not go back.
- Overall, I enjoyed my experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/6/2013Overall, I enjoyed my experience at Birdhouse, and will definitely go back. The food was excellence. However, the wait staff could improve its knowledge of the menu.Special Features:
- A nice surprise!HungryshopperDined on 4/4/2013Memorable menu items! Cute place for a quick date or meeting a friend. I was disappointed by the wine by glass selection, but they have a bar and a unique beer selection.
- We recommend the BirdhouseJosephDined on 4/3/2013My wife and I found the food at a Wednesday night dinner to be very good to excellent. We loved the sweet pea pate and the salads (kale and apples and roasted caesar salads). My Idaho Trout was excellent and my wife's chicken breast were very good; not outstanding. The service was excellent: Keith was very personable, but poor guy, he was the only waiter in the restaurant and had to run around a lot. The ambiance is quite plain and minimalist; it seems the real feature is the food. We will return and try the weekend brunch.Special Features:
- We ate appetizers, sides andPurrlDined on 4/3/2013We ate appetizers, sides and a salad and skipped the entrees. They were all quite good; great combinations of flavors with something unique in each offering.Special Features:
- Bright, airy, fresh, thoughtful,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/31/2013Bright, airy, fresh, thoughtful, hip, and conscious describes the food, the atmosphere, AND the service.Special Features:
- Great laid-back atmosphere,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/29/2013Great laid-back atmosphere, no pretense and outstanding food and service.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/23/2013We were anxious to try this place out since we love Heidi's and we found out that they also own Birdhouse. This restaurant has a very warm feel to it similar to Heidi's. Staff was very friendly/helpful. Food was great - had the housemade cavatelli that's on the menu as well as a different cavatelli that was the special for the evening. And the brussels sprouts for a side - very tasty. And was very pleased to find Boulevard's Tank 7 on tap - one of my favs! Parking was easy to find on Hennepin Ave. right in front of the place. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding,FoodieFoursomeDined on 3/23/2013The food was outstanding, great flavors and creativity without going overboard. Portions were a little on the small side, and service was quick, approaching too quick. The location in an old, nicely restored house on Hennepin Avenue was unique and pretty cool. Glad we went, we will return again.Special Features:
- Would like to see the wineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2013Would like to see the wine list by the glass expanded-Special Features:
- Good, interesting food inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2013Good, interesting food in a charming old house. Nothing cookie-cutter here. And some of the most delicious fries anywhere!Special Features:
- We enjoyed our meals veryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/19/2013We enjoyed our meals very much, but we felt as if the service was spotty. Upon arrival they were attentive, but then they let us sit there for close to 45 minutes before ordering dinner. We were completely abandoned at the end of the meal. We sat at the table after dessert and waited another 30-45 minutes for our check.