Birch River Grill – An American Kitchen
75 W Algonquin Road
Arlington Heights, IL 60005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Birch River Grill – An American Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.birchrivergrill.com/
- Phone: 8474274242x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 6:00am - 11:00am
Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am
Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Thursday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Rudy Navarro
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Custom catering available.
- Private Party Facilities: Private room seats 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jeremy Donaker 847-427-4242x
- Entertainment: Join us at Birch River Grill Lounge Saturday night with LIVE Entertainment from 6pm to 9pm... Also enjoy 1/2 Appetizers, $3 Bud Light Draft and $6 Martinis. Vist www.birchrivergrill.com for more info
- Special Events: See our website for all up-coming special events!
A word from Birch River Grill – An American Kitchen
Birch River Grill - An American Kitchen in Arlington Heights is a warm prairie-style restaurant and bar with cozy neighborhood appeal, offering Rustic American, gourmet comfort food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Birch River Grill – An American Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (2)great for lunch (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Don't do the brunch buffetswimdaveDined on 9/6/2014I did not have an enjoyable experience here for brunch. I had the buffet which had an ok selection but the food was not kept warm.
- Once was enoughAHMomDined on 8/7/2014Brought a friend here for dinner on a Thursday night. Dining room was empty when we arrived. A large group came by the bar and that was basically the last we saw of our server. Food was good, nothing special. Would not go back.
- The following 211 reviews are from the Birch River Grill – An American Kitchen reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014Very good for a hotel restaurant. The fish was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunchfoodcriticDined on 5/11/2014I had a few choices in mind for Mother's Day brunch and was happy that I chose this place. It was not over crowded as I anticipated for such an occasion and the food selection was more than enough. Overall it was a great experience and I would select this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Best Mothers Day EverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014My mom (90)had the best Mothers' day brunch for the price...Compared to places like the RItz Carlton Downtown...This place is a gem ..Kathy was our server and made her feel so special..THank you for a wonderful experience!!!..Oh yes the food was very very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeMrBFHVIPDined on 4/17/2014Wonderful food, great service, great place for a business meetingSpecial Features:
- Good Food -- No WaitingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014Always on my list to try, but never made it until a few weeks ago & went a second time this weekend. Both times we were surprised by how few people were dining, however, the bar area seemed fairly busy both times. The hostess desk wasn't manned either time, almost like dining guests were a complete surprise, despite having reservations both times. That in itself gives the restaurant an odd atmosphere. The decor is very nice, even upscale. If there had been more people the atmosphere would be great. The food is really quite good. The menu has some classic standards mixed in with some more unusual fare. The service is very attentive. If you're looking for a nice meal last minute, without the wait, I'd definitely give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Valentines Day ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We drove over an hour to come to this restaurant and would do it again! Best meal, hands down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, meh ambienceTofoDined on 2/14/2014Look - the food was fantastic, we both loved everything. Go here for fantastic food but do not expect a vibrant scene. Cannot stress enough how great the food was. Try the chili. Pork Tenderloin was great, as was the seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Higher EndScottVIPDined on 1/25/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the service. The décor was high end and delightful. We will be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch? Um, no.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/17/2014According to Open Table, this location was taking reservations for lunch as early as 10. My guest was from the east coast, so it was perfect to have lunch there at 10:30. However, when we entered, we were told by the very polite wait staff that lunch didn't begin until 11, but there was still breakfast buffet going on. We agreed to do the buffet, however, most everything on the line was lukewarm.
- Totally DisappointedTM18Dined on 12/25/2013Are you kidding me! First off, they should have SAID it was a limited menu for Christmas. NO indication when making the reservation that we wouldn't be able to oder off their menu. They handed us a white sheet of paper, looked like someone took about 2 minutes to type up, with the few items they were offering. NO holiday decorations at all, it looked like a Denny's. The diner I ate breakfast at was more festive. And they had the nerve to charge $39.95 per person! Totally not worth it!!!! I don't know what they were thinking! If you didn't want to work on Christmas, then don't. But if you're going to charge that much you better have something more to deliver. We were totally disappointed and would never go back there.
- A Turkey of a DinnerDotsterDined on 11/28/2013Rather disappointed, as really looked forward to having our Thanksgiving dinner at Birch Tree Grill. Our previous times eating there have always been good. Now, especially for this special holiday, no place mats, the dishes were round and food piled on top on other food (green beans covered with cranberries). I remember eclectic plates, not plain round generic plates. The service was fine. I doubt if we will ever return, as this was a real let down.Special Features:
- Staff needs trainingjjwkDined on 11/28/2013We dined on Thanksgiving and had a nice experience that could have been a very good one if the staff had better training. Most notably, the silverware was cleared at each course but never replaced. I saw 2 other tables also flagging down any passing wait/buss staff to get forks for their dessert, entrée, etc. Our entrees were delivered by our waiter who didn't notice we had no silverware on the table at that point. When I asked for forks, etc. he was very nice, but never came back. The hostess eventually brought us utensils. I might add it was not crowded, many empty tables. The food was very good, I would definitely go back to this restaurant. It may have been just inexperienced staff on the holiday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find in Arlington HeightsKCoakleyDined on 10/16/2013Went on a Wednesday evening and the restaurant was pretty quiet. Because it's located in a hotel, I imagine the customer base is mostly business travelers during the week. Haven't been there on a weekend so I can't say what the traffic is like then. The food was REALLY good--we had the flatiron steak and the pork tenderloin; both done to perfection and the accompanying sides were a very good complement to the meats. Portions were generous. Good selection of wines, but I thought $10 a glass was a bit pricey, though I know that's the going rate. Service was very good. I would definitely go again. :)Special Features:
- Food is Always Great!HappyCamperVIPDined on 10/1/2013I have been to Birch River Grill for both lunch & dinner and always have a good meal. It is rarely crowded but the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WHAT A DISSAPOINTMENTAQUA911Dined on 9/1/2013WE KNEW SOMETHING WAS UP WHEN WE ENTERED A TOTALLY EMPTY RESTAURANT AT 530 PM ON A SATURDAY NIGHT. TONS OF CARS IN THE HOTEL LOT BUT NOT ANY DINERS OTHER THAN OURSELVES TILL ABOUT 7 PM. WE RECD A GIFT CERTIFICATE FOR THIS RESTAURANT , CHECK OUT THE MENU ON THE INTERNET AND THOUGHT THAT IT WOULD BE REALLY GOOD SINCE THERE WERE SEVERAL ITEMS ON THE MENU THAT LOOKED PROMISING. I ORDERED A NEW YORK STRIP WITH CHIMCURRI SAUCE. SAUCE WAS VERY VINEGAR TASTING , KILLED THE STEAK FLAVOR AND NOT LIKE ANY CHIMCURRI SAUCE I HAVE HAD BEFORE. MY WIFE HAD THE BROASTED CHICKEN THAT WAS TASTLESS.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/21/2013I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the food at BRG. I had the pork tenderloin- the meat was tender be well seasoned, the carrots were perfectly cooked and the cheddar grits were absolutely amazing! The service was also excellent. They were attentive, friendly, and prompt. Looking forward to going again!Special Features:
- Get togetherNonnaproDined on 6/11/2013If you want a place that is quiet during the week night for a small get together with family or friends.. This would be the place. Food is very good, small menu, but excellent on all items. Server was very considerate and always came to check to see if we needed anything. We stayed there a few hours with drinks, food and desserts and all fell into place niceley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just Another hotel restaurantBruceVIPDined on 6/3/2013Attached to the Doubletree. Very ho hum. Breakfast is mucb betterI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Yankee Pot RoastRobertDined on 5/21/2013The pot roast was excellent. The restauarant was not very crowded, so it afforded a good environment for a business lunch. Reasonable prices for the area. Service was good. I'll definitiely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a great find! we wereJoey1VIPDined on 4/27/2013what a great find! we were a group of 6 and everyone loved their dinner. service was great perfect nightSpecial Features:
- attached to hotel I was stayingBruceVIPDined on 4/24/2013attached to hotel I was staying in. Was hoping for a bit more. The breakfast was far superior to the dinner.
- It was Easter night, so itAndyDined on 3/31/2013It was Easter night, so it was empty. Food was good and service was good. Salmon was excellent. Hummus was nice. Steak salad one of my favorites.Special Features:
- Great Brunch at Birch River Grill!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013My family and I enjoyed a lovely brunch at Birch River Grill. Food was good, service was good and everyone was truly helpful. I would definitely go again for dinner.Special Features:
- I have been here many times.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/8/2013I have been here many times. I think BRG could be a great place to dine but every time I come here, there's practically no one in there. It could be such a great place. On this night, I came specifically for the fish fry. I had seen a picture of it in the newspaper. Believe me, it looked nothing like its picture. We were served four small pieces of fish. They looked like something out of a box of Gorton's frozen fish dinners. I would still come here for other meals, because their food is always good. But never for the fish fry.
- Quiet restaurant in DoubleTreeAndyDined on 1/4/2013Quiet restaurant in DoubleTree hotel. Food was good. Reasonable prices. A fair amount of open space for larger groups.Special Features:
- A very average experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/1/2013A very average experience. Food was ok service was good . Do not know if I. Would return
- The food was enjoyable andHowardr48VIPDined on 12/31/2012The food was enjoyable and the portions were more than adequate. They had no problem taking care of a party of 8.Special Features:
- This is one of the best keptOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/31/2012This is one of the best kept secrets in the NW suburbs. Nothing flashy, just excellent food and service and nice presentations. I have never had a bad meal at Birch River Grill.Special Features:
- Cozy, with friendly staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012Cozy, with friendly staff and it was open on Christmas. Both a Christmas special and their regular menu were available to order from, but i felt like they were pushing for us to order the Christmas special (they didn't give us menus at first and questioned "are you sure?" when we asked to see the regular menu), even though i had called ahead to make sure we could order from regular menu. Food was of good quality, and they had a nice variety of items to choose from. Everything we ordered was delicious; pot roast, macaroni and cheese, cheeseburger and the Christmas special (prime rib with roasted potatoes and broccolini). Attractive decor, dimly lit and roomy. Bar looked nice as welll; great hotel restaurant.
- Wonderful place for businessMrBFHVIPDined on 12/18/2012Wonderful place for business lunches and dinners. One of the very few places that is quiet enough for conversations!Special Features:
- We were a party of four seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2012We were a party of four seated in a roomy booth. We could all talk without competing with loud music or noise from other diners. The food and service were great too.Special Features:
- Dinner: good; Breakfast: NOT.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/27/2012The positive reviews for Birch River Grill must be for Dinner, possible lunch as breakfast is very poor. In short, the wait staff is there to bring coffee, and are presumptive that if one is there for breakfast, one must be there for the buffet. Although a menu was made available, the waiter was utterly unable to explain a single menu item. The food was heavy and tasted as if it had been prepared from low cost ingredients (pancakes tasted like they were made from a "just add water" mix). If you're staying at the DoubleTree, convenience may make it worth eating there. Otherwise, you should pass.
- Took my staff here for a quiet,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/7/2012Took my staff here for a quiet, out of office meeting. Was perfect, convenient location, nice atmosphere, accommodating restaurant staff, great selection so everyone in the group could be accommodated. Was surprised at the array, from interesting salads and sandwichs all the way to full lunch entrees - seafood selection in particular. No one in our party even knew the restaurant was there, and it is only about 3 blocks from our headquarters!Special Features:
- Reliable Source of Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2012Despite the fact it's in a hotel (Doubletree), this is a very distinctive restaurant. Their menu has a great variety of comfort foods and the daily specials are always enticing. The best part is that you can usually get in without a problem, even last minute on a Friday night which is what we did. It's a great place for you to try too.Special Features:
- All four of us had differentRichardVIPDined on 5/27/2012All four of us had different meals and they were all very good. The chicken quesadilla appetizer was great!Special Features:
- The food is always first rate.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/20/2012The food is always first rate. Service this time was a little slow at first considering there were only 3 tables of people. It improved once he took our drink order. The place is starting to look a bit worn. The tables are all down to bare wood in some spots. I would still go back for the food and atmosphere. Quiet and relaxing.Special Features:
- This was our second visitTonyDined on 5/13/2012This was our second visit to Birch River in two years (we live 300 miles away). The excellence of their food, service and atmosphere has, if anything, gotten even better since our first, very positive, experience. My beet salad and crusted pike was prepared just about perfectly and the salads and entrees of the other four individuals in our party were similarly remarkable. The quiet, almost forest-like atmosphere belies the fact that the restaurant is about 200 ft from a major suburban thorofare. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Attended for Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/13/2012Attended for Mother's Day brunch. There was a nice variety of items in the buffet, although the overall quality ranged, depending, I think, on how long the food had been out. The manned stations were very good. The hostess didn't have our reservation for some reason, which led to some delays, but otherwise the service was ok. Nothing particularly special food-wise, but everything was decent. My in-laws enjoyed their meal. My wife and I were less impressed overall.