Birch & Vine at The Birchwood
340 Beach Drive NE
St. Petersburg, FL 33701Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Birch & Vine at The Birchwood
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebirchwood.com/
- Phone: 7278961080x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Cline
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The dining room features two small private dining areas for 8 guests each. The boutique hotel that our restaurant is located in has a Grand Ballroom on the fourth floor that can accommodate any size party up to 341 people and has an outdoor patio overlooking a park and the waters of Tampa Bay.
- Private Party Contact: Susan Robertson 7278961080x
A word from Birch & Vine at The Birchwood
Birch & Vine is an innovative restaurant within the hip, new boutique hotel known as The Birchwood. Birch & Vine takes a seasonal approach in crafting its 'Locally Sourced ~ Globally Inspired' cuisine. As the seasons change and the bounty of the land and sea evolves, so do the menu's at Birch & Vine. Located on famous Beach Drive in the Downtown St. Petersburg district, the restaurant sits across the street from North Straub Park, the Vinoy Marina and the sparkling waters of Tampa Bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Birch & Vine at The Birchwood - Best Restaurants in St. Petersburg ›
Birch & Vine at The Birchwood reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (86)fit for foodies (77)romantic (66)great for outdoor dining (56)scenic view (51)hot spot (49)notable wine list (47)neighborhood gem (40)vibrant bar scene (38)good for groups (35)great for brunch (23)late-night find (16)great for lunch (16)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- No tablecloths and weak decafNitoDined on 8/24/2014I expected that with a restaurant of this quality and accompanying prices there would have been tablecloths. My companions who ordered decaf American style coffee complained that it was weak and had to send it back. The waiter was very accommodating and brewed new cups from the decaf espresso machine.Special Features:
- Very loud & unremarkable foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014My wife and I had dinner at the Birch & Vine. It is extremely loud and therefore difficult to talk to one another. The service was very good, but the food was not. My dinner (seared ahi) was tasteless and our dessert (chocolate tart) tasted burnt and dry. We will not be returning again.
- Spectacular!!Foodie19Dined on 8/21/2014The food is always spectacular and the service impeccable!Special Features:
- Perfect romantic meal!BirthdaygirlDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I wanted to treat ourselves to a romantic dinner. For downtown dining, Birch and Vine is hard to beat. The food is always exceptional, service attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findgramDined on 8/17/2014Our first time at Birch and Vine - it was wonderful to find a young, vibrant restaurant in St. Pete. The ambiance was modern, but not cold and the service was superb. The food was very good, but we were glad to be there with a coupon - quite pricey, but worth it for a special night out. Recommended: scallops, duck and liver appetizer. share the latter - it is rich!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Positive ExperienceDougDined on 8/17/2014Our family had Sunday Brunch at The Birchwood last weekend before the Rays game. It was our first dining experience there and we will return. From the hostess to the waitress everyone was friendly and helpful. The food was great, delivered hot and tasty.We will return for lunch or dinner soon.Special Features:
- Excellent, but...NormDined on 8/16/2014Five star prices but four star experience. I would have rated 5 star if my New York strip steak was not overcooked. Ordered medium rare and got medium to well. My wife's filet was a treat though. One more thing, the $18 mini (smaller than petite, as described waitress) lobster appitizer was way over the top price-wise. Service was excellent and the saving grace for a return visit. One more try for a perfect score (these prices should offer a 5-star experience) or abandon for other Beach Dr restaurants.Special Features:
- Business meetingRichDDined on 8/12/2014Excellent food, service a little slow. We sat outdoors and enjoyed people watching and view of the park and waterfront. Convinient location off 375.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th Wedding Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014We were staying at the Birchwood which was wonderful. Dinner was superb. My husband said the New York Strip was the best he has ever had. I had the Ahi Tuna and it was cooked to perfection. The ambiance was great. I was impressed with the carefully sourced ingredient choices and the way the dishes were put together. Well done Birch & Vine!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not so good 2nd time aroundwish2bchefVIPDined on 8/10/2014made reservation via opentable, requested certain table for special occasion. Called restaurant 2 days before reservation to confirm requested table. When we arrived, told someone else had just been seated at that table. was not a big deal to person who seated us, but it was a big deal to us for sentimental reasons. server seemed rushed though restaurant not busy on a Sunday eve, food not as good as first visit. Disappointing evening. Thank goodness there are lots of choices in St Pete!Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014St Petersburg has become a mecca for fine dining. It is always difficult to make a decision where to dine. This was my first time at the Birchwood and it truly was an experience! I the food was all prepared and served to perfection! The only draw back with this wonderful restaurant would be the price. If you are planning a special occasion dinner...I would highly recommend the Birchwood! I look forward to returning.Special Features:
- First Time....Will Go backPasta106Dined on 8/6/2014It was our first time to restaurant and loved it. The restaurant is beautiful and the food was excellent. My husband had grouper and I had the strip steak. Great choice. His was a huge piece of grouper and the steak melted in my mouth. We also had crab cakes for appetizer and a delicious dessert.Special Features:
- Deserves it's Top Ten ratingMmgoodDined on 8/6/2014Unusual fresh delicious food with a great wine list and enjoyable serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor managementHotairDined on 8/2/2014We had made an online reservation at this well regarded restaurant for a 9 pm dining time (while that's a little late for us, we decided to make it work). We enjoyed cocktails at the rooftop bar watching the lightning over the bay (fabulous). After not being paged by 9:15pm, we went down to claim our table and we were told that nothing was available in the dining room (bad reservation management) and accepted a table next to the door leading to the outside dining area. One of our party needed to constantly close the door during dinner to prevent the incursion of very warm, very humid air. The food was good. The server was fine. Really loved the Gazpacho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing visitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014Took more than 30 minutes to be seated despite having a reservation. Service was mediocre at best. Drinks were not good (blood orange margarita,dark & stormy). Would not recommend going forward, there are too many good restaurants in St. Pete with equally good food, much better service, and much better drinks.
- Fantastic FoodDodgerDined on 8/2/2014This restaurant is one of the hottest spots in town due to The Canopy and reputation. Our reservation was for 7:30 but we were not seated until 8:20. Granted this gave us time to go up to the Canopy, have a drink and take in the sights. Also, a terrific photo opportunity. Peter served us very well and the food was fantastic. The only drawback is the volume in the open area room. We had a hard time hearing each other especially with a table of ten close to us. Each man at the group, obviously drinking heavily, tried to outdo each other in volumne & tone. This is not a restaurant for a romantic getaway. Anyway, it was an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- StunningBayfront1BuddyDined on 8/2/2014Quiet banquette with a view of the wine bar AND the vines/ivy. Service was attentive while the meal was succulent, hot, and a blend of tastes that harmonized on my palatte. A wonderful experience.....,location, and the decor was upscale, modern, perfect. Made for a wonderful 10th anniversary dinner evening! Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First time experienceBillDined on 8/1/2014Table was ready for us right at reservation time. Server and support staff were great and helpful. The Ny strip was cooked perfectly with a great char on it that enhanced the flavor. Drinks were poured strong but not too strong. I would have liked to have had dessert but literally was full and had no room. After meal drinks on the rooftop capped the perfect evening. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great communicators until...SLM86Dined on 7/31/2014I made a reservation via open table, and wrote in the notes that if a booth was available I would really appreciate it. They called a day in advance confirming the reservation and said "we see in the notes you would like a booth and we will have that ready for you"...so we get there and they bring us to a regular table. I told her about my request, and the message they left me, and she goes to see if there's a booth that will be available soon. She comes back and says "sorry that will be a 30 minute wait"...then we see a booth near to us cleared and a couple seated there 5 minutes later. I wish they would've done more to remedy the situation.The iPad with wine list was fun! Enjoyed our bottle of Pinot and the beef tartare was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique gemWater2WineDined on 7/31/2014Pros: Engaging, friendly, and helpful management and servers; decor is super and crisp, good wins choices and all 3 entrees were prepared perfectly. Cons: Parking is tough on the street; main course took 45+ minutes to arrive, making my business client uncomfortable. 6:45 seating and left at 9pm, and we didn't have appetizers or desert. Hoped to have an after dinner drink on the 5th floor, but client needed to drive home. Loud party of 8 near us and we were seated by a exit door (4 feet away) that was heavily used and distracting.Special Features:
- the best food everdaleydaleVIPDined on 7/27/2014the food was amazing... definitely try to the meatloaf... everything was prepared to perfection...Special Features:
- WonderfulWineyGuyDined on 7/26/2014Oysters Rockefeller appetizer...superb. We both had steaks - her the NY Strip and myself the hangar with chimichurri. Both cooked perfectly and sides were exceptional. Two extra place settings were left on the table for about half of the meal, which was a bit irritating due to the clutter, but other than that the service was great. Canopy after for a champagne toast. Best view for this type of venue in St. Petersburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodhotchoice99Dined on 7/26/2014Entirely too hot and too noisy but service and food fantastic. Ribeye was absolutely incredible. But if I had paid outside of travelling deal, would have been a bit dissappointed due to heat. Boyfriend was dripping sweat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KevenDined on 7/26/2014Great food and great service ! A must see and try !!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014The food was good but over priced for the portion size.Special Features:
- Lovely special dinnerannmrw73Dined on 7/20/2014Service was excellent. Food was delicious--sometimes I feel that restaurants overreach a bit and make things a little more fussy than they need to be,and that may have been a bit true here, but everything we ordered tasted delicious. Service was friendly and not pretentious or condescending at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/20/2014We Had Charlotte as a waiter, she was AMAZING!!! Food is SUPERB!!!!! Thank you for a beautiful night and dinner. We were visiting from Boston and would definitely go BACK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find! Do try!!!JDM225VIPDined on 7/19/2014Food was flavorful, different and very fresh. Decor is elegant yet very comfortable. The poached lobster app was to die for. We loved the snowy grouper and NY Strip. (Skip the sauce they put on it though.) Wine selection is perhaps best in town and viewable on an iPad. The wine cooler makes up a whole wall in the main dining room and adds a lot to the experience as well.Special Features:
- hungry7Dined on 7/19/2014Another excellent dinner. I'm glad we made reservations well in advance because the place was hopping. Service was friendly and our meals were terrific. I always order the Dayboat fish and have never been disappointed. Others in my group ordered the tuna (special that evening) and said it was very good. We went up to the rooftop bar after dinner but it was too crowded for our tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visitTucksmomDined on 7/19/2014Not what I expected after first visit which had been great. Female bartender at rooftop bar was rude. Service inside was extremely slow and manager had to bring the bread basket. Could have been an off nite but not sure I'll return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014I love food, I had the duck and my wife the tuna. It was all just okay. It wasn't bad, but wasnt amazing. For the price, I was looking for amazing. I'm not hard to please, so I may return and try again. Drinks were a bit over priced, but that speaks to the class of people you market to. Cool place though.
- Birthday Celebration at B&VPlayer56Dined on 7/16/2014The Birch and Vine is an absolutely wonderful restaurant addition to bustling Beach Drive. The atmosphere and service were spot on. The menu choices were plentiful and every dish we had was prepared perfectly and was thoroughly enjoyed. Delicious! I need to try their lunch and brunch menus now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!ssacDined on 7/14/2014You pleased us and our twenty-something offspring! And, they are picky. Bravo!Special Features:
- Too noisyluvquiet2Dined on 7/12/2014I booked online and mentioned that it was an anniversary. Also mentioned it to the hostess. No acknowledgement of the anniversary was made the whole evening. The restaurant was noisy; however, we did go to the roof or 'Canopy" before the dinner and that was very pleasant. Our waiter on the roof was Curtis and he was the best service we had all evening. Love the duck egg touch.Special Features:
- The best restaurant in St. PeteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014The best food in the city. The service is slow, but the ambience and vibe is such that you don't mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/11/2014We had been waiting to try this place and it exceeded expectations!! Loved every dish. Service was professional and responsive without being overbearing. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CANOPY ROOF TERRACE/BARMADDOGVIPDined on 7/11/2014WE GREATLY ENJOYED THE BAR LOUNGE ON THE ROOF MORE THAN THE RESTAURANT AND WILL GO BACK AGAIN FOR LUNCH OR BRUNCH.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improving on PerfectionCharlierVIPDined on 7/11/2014This was our second time at the Birch & Vine and even better than our first. I would order nothing but appetizers but that would deprive me of the choices for main course. We split the steak tartare and the fried oyster spoons for starters and both were wonderful. My wife had the maple duck breast over risotto and I had the special halibut. Each dish was perfect. We finished with cappucino and shared the sorbets. Our waiter who told us the manager is his wife was professional, friendly and his advice was spot on. I enjoyed the house Old Fashioned and a glass of pinot nowe from Oregon that worked great wtih the halibut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine outdoor dining experienceHappydinerDined on 7/9/2014Excellent lunch menu. Ordered the strawberry, pear, chicken salad special. Very tasty and very filling! Chillers are running outside to make it more comfortable during these hot months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNoneVIPDined on 7/6/2014We ordered the Kobe strip steak and expected something much better for the price. I prefer Parkshore grill just a few doors down.Special Features: