Birch and Barley
1337 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Birch and Barley
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.birchandbarley.com/
- Phone: 2025672576
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday All Day Brunch: 11:00am-8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Kyle Bailey
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact for more information.
A word from Birch and Barley
If you are unable to book a reservation through open table please feel free to join us at one of our non-reservation tables. We hold several tables for walk in guests, including all seating on our patio, weather permitting. Please be advised that we serve an All-Day Brunch Menu on Sundays through 8:00pm, with a couple supplemental dinner items offered after 5:00pm. Our normal bread service, dessert menu and Chef's Tasting Menu are not available at this time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Birch and Barley reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (134)neighborhood gem (85)great for brunch (71)special occasion (68)hot spot (60)romantic (56)great for outdoor dining (43)vibrant bar scene (42)good for groups (29)notable wine list (23)great for lunch (15)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Mind Blowingkatchin05VIPDined on 8/24/2014I love this place. The door team was cheery and genuine, and every staff member we passed offered a smile. Our server (who's name I forget - sorry!) was fantastic. He made great recommendations, and was the perfect amount of charming, and funny, without hovering.Special Features:
- Fun Venue-Amazing Beer OfferingssamcDined on 8/24/2014The garage door is a nice touch, although be aware that the setting sun will shine in the eyes of those facing the outside for a short while. Our waiter was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. The list and variety of beers are impressive. Complaint: The food is too salty. Even the excellent bread was sprinkled with salt when it didn't need it. I recommend letting the herbs and spices do the talking and keep the salt to a minimum.Special Features:
- Worth the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/24/2014I've waited months to get a brunch reservation at a decent time and it was certainly worth the wait! I highly recommend the sausage egg and cheese breakfast sandwhich and the chicken and wafflesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasion tasting menuNightOutVIPDined on 8/23/2014My husband's a big beer aficionado, so this was the perfect place to hold his birthday dinner. We both ordered the tasting menu, and while I went with the beer pairing for each course (an additional $25, well worth the amount of beer we received), he ordered from the beer list (there's both a double-sided draft beer list and a huge book worth of bottled beers as well.) Though the portions on the tasting menu were very small, they were delicious, and the beers with each one were perfectly selected to bring out the nuances of each dish's flavors. $200 total for our dinner, which was appropriate for a birthday dinner, so we were very pleased!Special Features:
- Loved ItOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Birch and Barley was an unbelievable experience, from the amazing beer list to the exceptionally delicious food. We started with grilled octopus, which improperly prepared can be awful, but their version was absolutely delightful. I tried one of the signature flatbreads as my meal and I would easily have it again. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants delicious food and a great environment.Special Features:
- Absolutely Delicious.dancinartDined on 8/23/2014Go. Just go. The foie with pistachio wrapped with house-made cherry leather with cherry sauce was UNbelievably fantastic. Even the little breads in the beginning were delish. I wasn't Quite as crazy about my pasta with seafood sausage... maybe it was just not a good choice after the foie. Anyway, you should go.Special Features:
- Try ittjor413VIPDined on 8/22/2014Always great. Highly recommend it if you haven't tried it. Amazing beer list, but that's not the only reason to go. The food is great.Special Features:
- Salty Food and Inconsiderate StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/22/2014Every dish was surprisingly salty. Portions were small. Different server took care of us at every turn, making consistency difficult. Complaints were unheard and after the manager finally did make it to the table he accused us of eating most of the dish before complaining about it. Not the way you handle customer service at what I thought was a top notch restaurant.
- Foodie-approvedGracie615Dined on 8/21/2014Great food, good cocktails and an excellent little whiskey list. The server was snarky and maybe even a little ill-mannered, but the rest was just too good to pass up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatVIPDined on 8/19/2014Although the service was a little off, not usual, it was not terrible. The wait staff dosappeared for a long time between the time that the dishes were removed and the dessert menu arrives. We decided against dessert. But the food and ambiance offset this anomoly for service. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BummerBnelsonDined on 8/19/2014We came from out of town and tried to research good casual dining for our anniversary. We got the worst table (right next to the host stand) which made conversation awkward. No lighting, awkward and uncomfortable all around. Our server was good but she was the only decent staff. And she seemed confused that we came just for the food (we don't drink). We left feeling miserable even though the food tasted good (even though it was too dark to see what we were eating).Special Features:
- Never disappointsNkssVIPDined on 8/17/2014I just had my third meal at Birch and Barley and it almost seems to surpass itself each time. It's such a well rounded experience -- interesting, innovative and seasonally fresh food, and servers with encyclopedic knowledge of what they're serving you, including the beer. The amount of thought that obviously goes into each detail (for example, the beer pairings for their extensive restaurant week menu) is truly impressive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Best food I've had in dc! Only complaint was it was a little dark, but otherwise amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LizEVIPDined on 8/15/2014I've dined here a few times and was disappointed with restaurant week. The scallops were bland and rather unappetizing. The fish wasn't tasty. I also couldn't see what I was eating outside, there needs to be some light. Our server was also somewhat unconcerned, not friendly at all. I love Birch & Barley but think may have been my last visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant week experience!KatherineVIPDined on 8/15/2014I loved each part of the evening, but I have to say that the service was notably great. I expected great food, but the kindness of our server and every member of the staff we encountered was top notch.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014Dining at Birch and Barley sets the bar for a food experience in DC. Everything was on par, from the servers' explanations of the food and beer pairings, the timeliness of the service, and the excellent quality of the dishes. We went for Restaurant Week and were pleased with the amount of choices we had and the appropriate portion size of each course. This is my special occasion spot - it really feels like a treat to dine here!Special Features:
- Dark but deliciousksmum125Dined on 8/13/2014We really enjoyed our evening at Birch and Barley during Restaurant week. The offerings were diverse and we could not resist the beer pairings option. The wait staff know their stuff, and were very responsive to our needs dining with a 4 year old. The octopus appetiser was 'the best I've ever eaten' according to my husband. My duck entree was very well balanced with the dark beer pairing (something I would never choose if left to my own devices). We had the cheese platter and confections for dessert. Do not miss the caramel corn ice-cream - it is swoon-worthy! The internal setting is a little dark but with all other aspects of the experience being so good this definitely wouldn't deter us from a return trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great night here!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and we had a fabulous time. The service was great, and our waiter was extremely friendly and helpful but not overbearing. He paired a great beer for my boyfriend's meal! The food was absolutely delicious and the atmosphere was upbeat. It was dark but it fit the style of the restaurant. We enjoyed a small taste of an appetizer on the house and their bread plate (also brought out on the house) was awesome. A great date place or small group place for dinner! Prizes were reasonable especially considering the excellent service and quality of the food! I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening outNorskeFarDined on 8/9/2014This locavore restaurant has a very meat-centric menu with great flavors, side veggies, cheese, and breads were great. Most items were warm and on the comfort food side of the palate, well suited to winter fare, but good for summer too. Terrific beer selection. The wine options weren't extensive, but provided nice variety and were well suited to the menu options. The service was excellent - efficient, attentive, and unobtrusive. Very pleasant evening.Special Features:
- GayleDined on 8/6/2014The menu was very interesting & appealing. Food was fabulous & service was superbSpecial Features:
- Farm to table and outstanding beerBillDined on 8/5/2014Fresh ingredients, prepared exceptionally and really amazing quality and variety of beers. I will certainly come back and recommend that everyone visit. Price was not cheap about $130 for two people with apps, entree, desert and two beers each, but certainly reasonable considering the high quality and perfectly sized portions. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouiseDined on 8/3/2014Brunch was delicious and I would definitely go back there again! The only comment I had was I felt that restaurant was a bit dark in lighting indoors for weekend brunchSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Came for Sunday brunch -- Very loud, very dark unless you are seated in the back by the kitchen or outside. Food is great, brunch deal is worth doing. Have also been for dinner and feel the ambiance is better suited to late dinner and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Birch and Barley can always be counted on to deliver first-rate cuisine; however, their service is also impeccable. They were incredibly patient with our many dietary restrictions, and when someone in the kitchen made a small error, they went above and beyond to remedy the situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, knowledgeable staffOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/29/2014The depth and layers of flavors in each dish is amazing. Craft beer snobs, you'll love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ladies loved itSPDMVIPDined on 7/24/2014Took three lady friends out for dinner They loved it! So did ISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunch in DCKayeesMomDined on 7/20/2014I saw Birch & Barley listed by Food and Wine as a best brunch in DC. We both had the boozy brunch. The rum punch was refreshing, the duck eggs (scrambled with hash browns) would have been a sufficient breakfast on its own, but we had it as a side to bing cherry french toast and chicken and waffles. took the donuts home as the food coma prevented us from eating any more. The only disappointment was the wait staff kept forgetting we'd signed up for the boozy brunch, so we had to keep reminding them what came next. I'll definitely visit again next time I'm in DC.Special Features:
- Boozy Brunch!emmalooneyDined on 7/20/2014The "Boozy Brunch" deal ($30 each) cannot be beat. Donuts, Tea or Coffee, TWO cocktails and one of over a dozen amazing looking entrees. We were happy (and stuffed). Loved the ambiance, we got seated earlier than our reservation time and had fantastic service!Special Features:
- Awesome Brunch MenubaltimoredinerDined on 7/20/2014You can't go wrong with anything you order here. I ordered the corn beef hash and it was great. Extensive beer menu as well. Service is fast and attentive. Highly recommend making reservations and showing up 10-15 minutes early to try and find a parking spot (if you don't want to spend $20 for a garage).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 175 Disappointing DollarsmoosefoodVIPDined on 7/19/2014Was it the room so dark we couldn't read the menu? Or the tasteless food? Or the duck ordered medium rare that came well done and cold? Or the cold pork? Or the likelihood both had been cooked long before ordered? Maybe it was host asking a couple sitting next to each other to leave. We finished, tipped (20% staff needs to live), and went across town for cheese and dessert. To Bernaise. Where they get it right.
- bad meal & worse serviceDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 7/18/2014I have long been a fan of Birch & Barley, so I'm hoping that this review is the exception to my general impression of an excellent & friendly neighborhood restaurant. The Meal: my soft-shell crabs were over-battered & soggy, the asparagus salad should more aptly be described at "frissee salad with a few asparagus shavings." The Service: The WORST! The waitress never came by to ask how the meal was so I had to flag her down to let her know the crabs were sub-par. The asparagus salad had only 3 thinly shaved slices of asparagus so I sent it back but the server tried to charge me for it anyway. The manager was appropriately apologetic. The Ambiance: We sat outdoors on an atypically beautiful summer evening -- it was delightful!I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time dinerLuvfood23Dined on 7/18/2014Had a great first visit. The chef sent out some dishes to try when the server found out I was a chef. It was a really great time and I will definitely bring friends and family. The restaurant does get very dark and difficult to read the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoseJoseDined on 7/18/2014The food was amazing, beer list (Church Key) is expansive, almost daunting but the waiter knew his stuff and walked my group through it. It's a little pricey but well worth the ocassional visit and I'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab tasting menu12345Dined on 7/15/2014We went with the six course tasting menu and it was so good! Started off with complimentary risotto balls. Didn't love all of the beer pairings but the food was absolutely delicious. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were wonderful!BillDined on 7/9/2014I look forward to returning and having dinner outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you love beer...CBartelsVIPDined on 7/8/2014Birch & Barley is a great combination of an amazing beer menu and great food! I am not a beer drinker but enjoyed their wine list. Our server was terrific, giving great care to my dairy allergy, being extremely knowledgeable about each dish and gave excellent recommendations! We live in this vibrant neighborhood and will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaferDined on 7/5/2014The octopus appetizer was amazing and the waiter described it so well that most of us ordered it. The desserts are amazing, they have one of the best desserts chefs!Special Features:
- Not impressedAsocorroDined on 7/5/2014I made a reservation at this location because it had a notable beer list and my bf looooves beer. Well, let me say that the beer list is quite long, but since I'm not a huge beer fan, I opted for wine. The food is another thing. I was NOT impressed at all. Not sure if it's a DC thing to make all things "organic" or "free-range whatever", but really I couldn't figure out half of the menu. I don't care for all the fancy wording or fancy chickens (none of which they had) but just give me real food. I saw our neighbor's plates, and the amount of food is quite minimal. We had a few beers and a flat bread appetizer and left to go eat somewhere else.
- One of our favorite places in DCVimakDined on 7/5/2014This was our second time eating here and this time we opted for the sampler menu. All the items were delicious and the proportions were great for both of us - and as before, the wait staff was wonderful. Attentive but not intrusive and knowledgeable about the food and beer items on the menus.Special Features:
- Not outstanding this timeFoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2014Been many times and gotten the tasting menu which had delicious food with beer pairings that were excellent but this time the tasting menu was medicare and the pairings did not go. (liked the beers but the didnt go with the food well) It was quite a disappointment. Would have to try one more time before I write it off.