3232 Scott Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bin38.com/
- Phone: 4155673838x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5 - 10pm
Friday - Saturday: 5 - 11pm
Sunday: 5 - 9:30pm
Saturday - Sunday: 10am - 2pm
Thursday - Friday: 4 - 5pm
Saturday - Sunday; 2 - 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Californian, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: BIN 38 was designed with private events in mind, accommodating parties of all sizes from 8 to 100. We have a variety of spaces indoors and out depending on your party size and type of event. For each event, we can create a completely personalized wine and food program to meet your specific needs. In order to inquire about private events please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your requested date(s), ideal times and number in your party.
- Private Party Contact: Eddie Bustamante (email@example.com) 415-567-3838x
- Special Events: For groups of 12 or more email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the preferred date, time, number of people and any special requests.
A word from BIN 38
Experience a whole new world of wine at BIN 38 Wine Bar & Restaurant. Enjoy small production wines and exotic beers from around the globe, a full kitchen serving locally sourced contemporary American cuisine and a spacious heated and tented patio. OpenTable diners named BIN 38 one of the Top 50 Wine Lists in the United States and #1 in San Francisco.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
BIN 38 reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (23)great for outdoor dining (20)great for brunch (14)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (11)fit for foodies (11)romantic (7)special occasion (5)late-night find (5)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great girls night outSFNativeDined on 9/19/2014I went to Bin 38 with long time girl friends for a nice dinner with drinks - and we were not disappointed. We had a great server who was funny and charming. We went to Bin 38 particularly because of the wine selection and the fact that you could get half glasses. We has a flatbread appetizer - warm and topped with prosciutto and arugula. Two of us had a pork dish with fig bread pudding - really good. Another one of us had mussels with a side of fries - also good. I had a scallop dish and it was very flavorful - but I only got three scallops along with an apple salad. It was delicious but we all joked that I would not be sharing the dish because then I would give half of it away. Any ways - overall, the dining experience was great.Special Features:
- Nice way to end a great day in SFxian68Dined on 9/6/2014Really enjoyed the ambiance of Bin38. My date and I were seated at an outside table where we enjoyed a glass of wine each and share a cheese and charcuterie sampler. Our waiter gave us the perfect amount of time alone and came by a few times to check on us, which was much appreciated. We shared the patio with several groups, but the noise level was low enough for us to carry on our conversation easily. I would definitely come back when in the marina.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly AverageWandersoloVIPDined on 8/14/2014You know when you go to a restaurant and it's just really really average? Well, Bin38 is just that. It's got nothing special going for it at all. The food was just average. The service was average. And so was the frat boy sitting next to me on a date talking constantly for an hour and a half about his roommate problems. So... If you're looking for an average spot in SF. This is it.
- keep this brunch menuAnikeedDined on 8/10/2014Bin 38 is a Marina favorite and always a good bet. Sunday brunch is just as yummy as lunch and dinner, and they keep the bottomless mimosas flowing, always appreciated. Menu changes frequently, and that works, but I would request they keep the current brunch menu f or a while. One of the best we've had there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceChet78VIPDined on 7/26/2014How can a restaurant screw up a scramble. Apparantely this one does. The food was below mediocre. The service was just okay. They brought out cold coffee and when I returned it, it took them 10 mins to bring a fresh cup out.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/26/2014Food was good, but waiter was grumpy and was very slow overall.
- Dinner for sixdiningwfriendsDined on 7/17/2014We had a nice dinner for six on the patio behind the restaurant. I wouldn't recommend a table inside...too noisy and crowded. Our waitress was very nice and provided good service. The food was just okay, not bad but not as good as I expected for this area, which has a number of excellent restaurants. The steak which was highly recommended by the waitress was chewy and not very well prepared. The risotto was a little gummy, rather than creamy. The salads were very good, the wine was also very good. I think there are better choices for dinner for six in the marina, but Bin 38 would be a good place to take a date for a glass of wine and some small plates.Special Features:
- Mediocre food and serviceSkiermafVIPDined on 6/26/2014Overall, meh. The grilled artichoke was tough and the aioli was flavorless. Fries were fine. Arugula salad is hard to mess up but it was pretty salty. Also, the waiter was pretty aloof - sat with empty wine glasses through the main courses. Cleared the plates and delivered the check without us asking. There were two tables open next to us too, so turning tables wasn't a concern. I also was very unimpressed with the wine selection. For a wine bar it's small. Wasn't stoked with the Chenin blanc - it was bland but had a funky nose. My boyfriend had the reisling, that one was good. I will not come here to eat in the future. Might drop by for a glass of wine on my way to a movie, but that's it.
- Nicely done but not like last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014So I've been waiting to go back to this place for a while now b/c my first experience there was terrific but for some reason the food this time was not like I remembered. While the portions were generous and the sides terrific, mine was overdone and the presentation on the plate left a lot to be desired - it seemed kind of thrown onto the plate. Anyway, look forward to going back and hope this was just an off night for Bin 38.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurant!dvnoneVIPDined on 6/18/2014Excellent wine selection & quality. Comfortable & attractive environment. Delicious shared plates & wonderful burgers! The pot de creme was so silky and amazing! We had an amazing waiter.Special Features:
- too loudheidihoDined on 6/18/2014the only drawback to this place is the EXTREMELY LOUD NOISE LEVEL. if not for that would have definitely given it 5 stars. food was wonderful and service was very nice. very pleasant waitress and bus servers. we sat outside on their patio and i guess there is nothing to absorb the sound. there was a group of 10 very loud women who just kept getting louder, that were sitting on the sofa facing all the tables. needless to say several tables near them including us had a very hard time hearing. one young lady said we may have to text due to not being able to hear. next time i will be sitting inside as it seemed much quieter ( or maybe that's because the loud people were not in there.) anyway i will be back super food and great wine!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceSevereCritic2014Dined on 6/15/2014Service was stellar, food was delicious, casually elegant setting. Would return again & again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch ends at 2pm, smhveebee13Dined on 6/8/2014We were really excited about having brunch at Bin 38 as we have heard good things about their menu (and I have personally gone before). OpenTable should be more informative about the kind of menu and at what time certain things end. NEVER EVER go to Bin 38 for lunch. Their lunch menu is full of overpriced bar SNACKS. So pointless.Special Features:
- Bin 38Bin38Dined on 5/30/2014Always great food, great wine, great service. This is my favorite restaurant. Love introducing friends to it - they always ask 'how did you find this place?' They always make you feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lost reservation, lost our food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014Good food. Didn't have reservation on file. Forgot our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 446 reviews are from the BIN 38 reviews archive.
- Stick with wine and cheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/18/2014I was very disappointed in BIN 38… Pros: - service people are nice - nice to have a back yard patio - good selection of wine and beer Cons: - their food is pretty bad recommendations: - stick with wine and cheese and don't bother with their foodSpecial Features:
- Bin 38Bin38Dined on 5/17/2014The food was great and the service superb. Wine pairings: excellent. Naomi was very attentive. My friend was impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchBrendanDined on 5/11/2014I've been here a couple times, but only for Brunch. I can't comment on their evening service, but I've always loved the breakfast meals. Went here again for Mother's Day with partner and our 2 year old. Everything was great!Special Features:
- OverpricedJlacDined on 5/10/2014I came here with my family while they were visiting. The menu online was completely different than the menu offered when we showed up. Everything was a little overpriced for what it was, I think it was $11 for truffle popcorn? Food was all fine, not good or bad. Service was not very good. The ambiance was nice, not too quiet or loud.
- Bin 38DorisVIPDined on 4/25/2014I'm always very happy to introduce friends to Bin 38. Their feedback is always 'WOW!, how did you find out about this place?" and they say "I'll be coming back here." Both the food and the wait help are exceptional.The wait help all know their wines and they make great recommendations. I highly recommend doing the wine pairings that are selected on the menu. Share the dish, and they'll split the wine between 2 glasses- no problem. The wait help is very observant. They make you feel that they genuinely appreciate you being there. You can tell that the wait help works as a team and support each other. Parking can be tough but there's a parking garage about 2 blocks away.Special Features:
- Good Food at Reasonable PricesCliffDined on 4/16/2014Pleasant neighborhood restaurant, better than average food selections. Friendly, knowledgeable bartender with a fine selection of Belgium beers, and better than expected American choices, all bpttled. Outdoor dining patio - get there early if you want to sit near the firepit!Special Features:
- Friendly service and helpfulLindaVIPDined on 4/2/2014Friendly service and helpful with the wine choices. Great groupon with a delicious three course dinner and generous portions. Loved the chocolate pot de cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great exceptcheetah33Dined on 3/30/2014Everything was great except they double charged my credit card and the manager is not getting back to me. C- for customer service.Special Features:
- Bin 38DorisVIPDined on 3/28/2014I'm always very satisfied with Bin38 - the food, the wine and the wait help. I love taking people there - they are always impressed. They always say "Great find! - I'll be coming back!" Some of my guests have been from other countries and they still talk about Bin 38. Two recent guests were from Edinburgh and the other from the southern coast of England - they loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service. They reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/24/2014Great service. They really took care of us. Had been meaning to go for months, but couldn't find the gift card we had be given. I spoke with the manager to see if there was anyway she could look it up and we could still redeem it, and she helped us out without hesitation. Good food, great wines. Definitely will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/16/2014Made reservations for special birthday brunch. Was very pleased with service and attention given to my table. Service was excellent as were food and drinks. Will definitely return and spread the word!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Nice AmbianceMattDined on 3/13/2014We normally just go to Bin38 for Wine but we got a GILT certificate for a 3 course prix fix and we amazed by the food. Especially the Squid Ink pasta. Bin38 has a great ambiance whether you are outside by the fire pit or inside at the bar or dining room. Now that we have tasted the food, we will be going back more often.Special Features:
- Surprise, surprise, surpriseDTWMDined on 3/12/2014I may be channeling Gomer Pyle in my title (and aging myself!), but surprises unfold at Bin 38. At first, this hipster gathering spot appears as wide as a bowling lane, but just past the bar it opens to a cozy area with more tables, then to a large patio with more tables and a number of conversation areas (comfortable seating under a canvas tent and the ever-popular fire pit). Surprises continue on the wine and beer list - a full page of craft beers accompany the well-curated wine selections with a mix of the ordinary and the novel - don't pass this nice chance to stretch beyond the familiar. The only drawback I'd offer - the mark-up on their wines is enthusiastic, to say the least. But one doesn't go to Bin 38 for a budget night out.Special Features:
- Bin 38DorisVIPDined on 3/8/2014I am always pleased when I go to Bin 38. I have introduced many people to the restaurant and they have all loved it. The wait help is always great, They come to your table with a smile and they genuinely make you feel welcome. Love the wine pairings (and it can be shared).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server Must have had too much winekkbbDined on 2/16/2014Made reso for 7, table was only made up for 6. Table behind us was loud and obnoxious, restaurant didn't tell them to quiet down. Had full menu and afternoon menu at our table, our server failed to tell us we were only allowed to order from the afternoon menu, meaning after we took forever to order, he then had to go back and wait while we chose from only about 6 options. He brought the wrong drinks to our table, lied about which was which - we knew however, then returned with the correct drinks. Ended up passing our table off to another waitress because hew as embarrassed about his mistakes and lack of instruction upon our first dining experience here. Not the best experience. However, a birthday note for my friend was a nice touch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who Shaved their Face Over my Eggs?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2014There was so much hair in my eggs it must have been intentional... icky. Food took FOREVER to arrive (probably so the chef had time to shave into it) and in an empty restaurant, we were sat next to the only other table with people-- uncomfortably close. We should have taken the initiative and asked to move, but when a group of 10+ screaming girls sat down in the nook next door, we decided to just hedge our bets, try not to get a disease, and never come back to Bin 38.Special Features:
- After sitting down, we inquiredKate21VIPDined on 2/14/2014After sitting down, we inquired if we could be moved 1 table over to a corner as both corners were free. We were told by our condescending server that it would, "mess up the kitchen" if we moved 3 feet. He seemed bothered by our presence and questions. We realized the only food choices were the Prix fixe menu for $50 each. When our order came, the tiny beef tenderloin had been cooked well done; he never inquired how I would like my steak. The highlight of meal was mushroom soup; lowlight was the tiny piece of bland cod. Tenderloin ok after re do. In closing, $165 for a blah prix fixe menu 3 glasses of wine, and a server with a TUDE(upper case) who received a tip(lower case) for his service was not our idea of a nice Valentines Evening.Special Features:
- Bin 38DorisVIPDined on 1/24/2014I have been to Bin 38 several times and have introduced several friends to the restaurant. I'm always very satisfied with their food and their service. The wait help is always exceptional. DorisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise Levelfoodie1Dined on 1/18/2014There is something about Bin 38 that makes the noise seem louder than it really is. Perhaps the ceiling height? Food was average. My Pork Loin was overdone and the service was average. Not a place for a romantic dinner, more likely a place to go after or before a movie.
- Good service, decent foodHCPEVIPDined on 1/15/2014I dined here on the basis of OpenTable reviews. I would say the food was good but not great and service was excellent. In retrospect, I'm not sure I would necessarily have chosen this place had I known what it was like (I was visiting SF for a few days). There are better restaurants in SF for a visitor to try.Special Features:
- A favourite localADMoVIPDined on 1/12/2014Always good. Food, wine and service. Fire pit and couches out the back are the bomb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible service and overpricedLiroDined on 12/31/2013We were so excited to try out this place but had a very bad experience. We had reservations for New Year's Eve. We were seated right away and ordered right away, but after the first two courses, it took an hour and a half for the main course to arrive. They were nice and apologized, but until we complained, we hadn't seen our waiter for over an hour. The food was also overpriced given the quality ($65/person). Overall we were very disappointed, definitely not planning to be back.
- Great Wines and FoodbigdaddygolffanDined on 12/28/2013I liked Bin 38. I thought the wine selections were great. Their wine flights were balanced and appropiate for the food selections. The waiter was very knowledgable and offered alot of information on the wines and food selections. The food was very flavorful and and a good value. I did not think that that restaurant interiors lived up to the quality of the food and the knowledge of the staff.Special Features:
- Oustanding dining experience!!!JoannDined on 11/16/2013This restaurant was a great find! Every dish that came out was outstanding. We had the grilled octopus, risotto and the steak. Every bite was exquisite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch SpotBeccaADined on 11/9/2013A great brunch spot with $14 bottomless mimosas and an awesome patio in the back. Food was great and the drinks were perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.