339 N. Dearborn
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bin36.com/
- Phone: 3127559463x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thurs: 6:30am - 12:00am, Fri 6:30am - 2:00am, Sat 7:00am - 2:00am, Sun 7:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: William Hewitt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: BIN 36 can accommodate 10 to 400 people.
Wine Tastings and classes
Corporate & private reception and dinner parties
Great team building ideas
Wedding receptions and bat mitzvahs
Bachelorette and surprise parties
Casino nights & lots of other fun things!
- Private Party Contact: Elizabeth Bolger 3123270459x
- Special Events: Ongoing series of classes on a monthly basis around wine, cheese, and food!
A word from Bin 36
Bin 36 is a casual, friendly and affordable spot where wine novices can enjoy over 50 wines by the glass. Learning about wine does not have to be complicated! BIN 36's staff is enthusiastically prepared to offer people a great environment to learn and enjoy wine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Bin 36 reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (73)fit for foodies (43)good for groups (30)special occasion (29)romantic (23)vibrant bar scene (19)great for lunch (18)neighborhood gem (14)late-night find (11)hot spot (10)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/29/2014Weight staff were blasé, and could have cared less about the service and the timing for the meal.
- Great way to experimentClevendboyDined on 8/29/2014Bin 36 has an extensive by the glass wine list, including wine flights, and a vast cheese selection also done in flights/groups. Servers are very knowledgeable and guide you through picking great pairings. Tapas-style menu enables sampling and sharing, and would be great for groups or foodies that want to explore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great good and wine choicesCathDined on 8/25/2014we chose this place because my companions had been here before when in town and loved it. I can see why. a great place to try and share a good range of foods and wine, and the wine flights and cheese flights work well for groups also. a perfect place for our catch up.. we were there in a quiet Monday night and received excellent service. a great night out for our week's stay in ChicagoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobertoDined on 8/21/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Chicago. The wine pairings are a special feature of the restaurant and is the selection of cheeses.Special Features:
- The true City Enoteca4foodwilltravelDined on 8/20/2014This is a great spot, excellent ambiance and a very unique offering of wine varietals, excellent cheeses and great appetizers. The lamb meatballs are incredible, and the wine/cheese choice/description menu is very ingenuous. An excellent place to unwind, enjoy a good wine (without taking a senseless hit on your wallet), and simply chill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Variety in taste and drinkGoodGeneticsDined on 8/15/2014Nice open industrial yet chic atmosphere with super wine selections and an awesome variety in tapas. The menu is very busy and intimidating, but giving them freedom to assist you will pay off in dividends. My pallet and mind exploded with a fun little flavor adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful...pkeenanVIPDined on 8/15/2014Had a great meal here tonight. Our server was well versed with not only the menu but the pairing which I think they pride themselves on. I'm an out of towner now but when I lived in Chicago I would come her to learn. Do yourself a favor and have a sit down. Well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good yet....GreenwoodDined on 8/8/2014I have really liked this place in the past, except for the noise. The wines are stellar, great choices, with flights so you can try different wines. The cheeses are melt in your mouth good. The food choices are just okay. If you want to try different wines and have small plate apps, I would recommend Bin 36. The six people I took there enjoyed it. I thought the food could be better. A table clearer spilled a glass of water and a glass of wine, acceptable response to clean up, but they didn't offer my guest another glass of wine. Not acceptable. Still wish they had kept their outdoor space.Special Features:
- Bin 36Estee21Dined on 8/8/2014Nice atmosphere, but fairly noisy space. Great wine and cheese selection. Good selection of small plates and things to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flights of FancyWhere2NextDined on 7/30/2014We enjoyed the cheese and wine flights and the service was great.Special Features:
- Wine BarpafishingDined on 7/29/2014This restaurant is a good wine and cheese bar. The selection of wines was good but fairly young in age. Nothing on the menu older than four years which seemed a bit odd for a restaurant specializing in wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't beat a $5 lunch special!LovelyLunchVIPDined on 7/29/2014Bin 36 is right across the street from my office, so it's very convenient for a quick lunch. And the weekly $5 specials are GREAT! This is also my Go to place for a nice, reasonably priced bottle of wine for a special occasion. I love it!Special Features:
- FT45VIPDined on 7/28/2014We enjoy Bin 36 every time we visit Chicago. The wine selection is amazing and the food is excellent. We had a variety of wines, appetizers and cheese and loved everything. Service is great too.Special Features:
- love this placeyay4wineDined on 7/25/2014I always have great service when I dine or drink here. Jimmy the bartender/mixologist is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to learn about wineJoevVIPDined on 7/24/2014A definite place to add to your list. Every wonder what a wine library would feel or look like to you? This is the place-knowledgeable wait staff and a great way to experience wine/cheese pairings. The Wine flights are fun the way they walk you through your selections-add to your list of places to go soon!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/22/2014Wine variety and reasonable prices is the main attraction. Food simple but good and again reasonably priced. Room is a little lacking in atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2014Very good food, and EXCELLENT service. Only reason Bin 36 did not get 5 starts is that the ambience is good, not outstanding. I'd go back again, and recommend to anyone looking for good food and wine, and great service.Special Features:
- Service and Wine List Excel!SassyChicagoanVIPDined on 7/18/2014No one can beat these waiters and bartenders for being knowledgable about wine and cheese (and the rest of the menu). You are in great hands here. We usually go to the bar, but for this special occasion decided guaranteeing a table by getting a reservation would be better. The two of us were seated at a small table for two in a mostly empty restaurant (not so special) and there wasn't really enough room for our 2 flights of wine, our meals and our cheese flight. Meg, the waitress, was incredibly helpful and made great suggestions regarding the wine and food. The experience was great but I should have demanded a better table as that really took away from the overall experience and didn't have to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible food and serviceOperataVIPDined on 7/16/2014What ever happen here? service is simply the worst, food is at best mediocre (and very greasy - the bread was not fresh, pates were less than ordinary), wine is cheap (stuff you find for 5 to 7 dollars a bottle). The hostess cannot even distribute menus...the waitress gave us someone else's wine, took if back, and then return it to our table to say it was on the house..the chairs are very uncomfortable. They need a chef and training, lots of training. they are on their way out of business.
- Disappointing ServiceSammyVIPDined on 7/8/2014Normally an excellent restaurant but our last dining experience was disappointing due to exceptionally poor service. There is never a good explanation for having to ask three times for beverage service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good wine and cheese barAdamDined on 7/3/2014Good food and drinks with excellent variety. I would like to see it when it is full, but I went with a group and we all had good foodSpecial Features:
- Dinner and breakfast!PennyDined on 6/29/2014Superb experience. Had to change the number of diners at the last minute, and that was done cheerfully. Service was perfect.....informative, friendly and non-intrusive. Wine flights were fun and interesting. Food was very good, everyone was pleased with their choices. We had 3 or 4 desserts and shared around the table and loved them all! Additionally, due to the proximity to our hotel, we stopped and for breakfast the following morning and had an equally satisfying experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCandyBAVIPDined on 6/24/2014The food was not good. We ordered a lobster sandwich and got a lobster?salad that tasted like herbs/spices in mayonnaise on white bread toast with a strip of undercooked bacon.Special Features:
- Wine & cheese?OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/23/2014I visit every time I come to Chicago. I truly enjoy the flights and cheese and wine. Creative concept and fantastic food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatlnanDined on 6/14/2014Our party picked this restaurant due to its proximity to our event. The food was fantastic. We had oysters and mussles. For our entree we had burgers and they were cooked to perfection. I would highly recommend this place. Wish I lived closer so it would be easier to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but menu is a nightmarePopcornoneDined on 6/9/2014The menu is just so confusing to look at. Took an age to decide what to have. In the end chose a burger which was good. Could be so much better. Make simpler and it would be better by 100%Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great!KrisDined on 6/7/2014Went there for the wine flights, but had bad service and the wine wasn't that great. I liked one out of the four that I received. Also wish the server talked to us about the wines we choose. I would not reccomend.Special Features:
- Sorry, not a good experiencegardenangelDined on 6/5/2014From the moment we approached the entrance, I knew it was going to be bad. The glass doors had thousands of fingerprints on them; couldn't possibly have been washed in more than a week. The entrance was also poorly maintained; chipped plaster, chipped paint, scuffed baseboards, etc. When a restaurant maintains the physical space so poorly, I don't even want to know what the kitchen looks like. The ambience of the restaurant was poor as well, bare floors, bare tables, bare chairs, no fabric anywhere, no color. Fortunately, there were only a few occupied tables so noise wasn't a problem. Staff was indifferent. Sorry, but it was bad in every way.
- Great pre-concert dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/4/2014I met three friends here for dinner before a House of Blues event. The location can't be beat for that. We had appetizers, dinner, and wine. The wine was very good. We had a cheese flight, which we really enjoyed, although sharing among four, it's really just a small taste of everything. Chicken was outstanding. Our waitress may have been new. She didn't seem to know the cheese or wine very well and brought two people's salads with two other people's dinners, so two of us were just getting started while two others were finishing.
- MadameDined on 5/20/2014I went for lunch with girlfriends and had the hummus with pita chips which was outstanding. Our waitress was very attentive and personable. It was overall an outstanding experience. Loved the French pinot noir. I would love to return in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Motown Pe PartyMookieDined on 5/17/2014Food and service were great. Sitting on top of other patrons for a romantic meal...not so greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and extensive wine listBettiboopDined on 5/17/2014Great place for pre or post theater dining. Extensive wine list and excellent suggested pairings for each menu item. Flights offer opportunity for trying new wines. Limited number of entrees but our selections were awesome in both taste and presentation. I had the trout and my husband had the pork - both excellent. The wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced and overratedchicagonewbiesVIPDined on 5/11/2014Food quality was poor, not anywhere close to what we expected. Blue cheese was old and moldy where it should not be, and other semi-soft ones seemed over-ripe and old. House smoked salmon had no flavor and home-made pastries tasted like store-bought. Servers talked over the food (not very sanitary at all!) and did not even seem to realize how bad that was. Went there because of some good reviews and found the place to be overpriced and overrated.
- overpriced!!!jp11Dined on 5/11/2014Food quality was ok, however, price seems high and overpriced. Atmosphere was great though...Special Features:
- Meh....CookieJarDined on 5/9/2014We have been to Bin 36 on at least 5 other occasions. Our recent visit was disappointing. The olives were the best thing. The Chef's Cheese Plate was bland and overpriced. The meatballs were meh, the chicken liver mousse was a bit garlicky, and we miss the gougeres, those wonder cheese puffs of Bin 36 past. Not one to be negative, but with so many exciting places to choose from in Chicago, I'd hesitate to return unless the menu is updated.
- PhilVIPDined on 5/8/2014First time in quite awhile that I have been to Bin 36 although I used to go often. It still is an excellent restaurant. Great wine menu, excellent cheese plates, small menu but varied enough to please most. I love their roasted chicken. It was much quieter than it used to be but I assume it is no longer trendy, just still good. I liked the decrease noise level as there were 6 of us and noise enough ourselves. Glad I re-visited this old favorite.Special Features:
- BoringPhilVIPDined on 5/8/2014I've been to Bin36 a couple of times over the past five years and always enjoyed dinning there. Apparently, the management is resting on their laurels because their menu is blah. I ordered the monk fish and it was overcooked and dry. With so many great restaurants in Chicago I'll go elsewhere next time.Special Features:
- Nice Workday Lunch Spotdine4enjoymentDined on 5/7/2014I had been to Bin 36 for events, but never to dine until now. I really enjoyed the experience. The Rare Ahi Tuna salad was delicious. I forgot to ask for dressing on the side, but that was okay as the salad was not heavily dressed. I really enjoyed the mushroom walnut soup, which was blended. I would have been even better with a few walnuts on top for garnish. Overall, good experience I hope to have again soon.Special Features:
- The following 1296 reviews are from the Bin 36 reviews archive.
- True hospitalityElle1Dined on 5/3/2014My friend and I entered the restaurant and were promptly seated by a nice man dressed in a suit (the owner, maybe?). I approached him when we did not get a service after sitting approximately 8-10 minutes. He, then promptly took care of us for an hour with complimentary wine and cheese, then continued to check on us the rest of the evening. TRUE CUSTOMER SERVICE. His great hospitality would take me back several times and would highly recommend it for friends. ANDDDD GREAT AMBIANCE!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't fall for "cheese pairing"OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/3/2014The cheese plates were way overpriced. They charge you $17.40 for four very small pieces of cheese, as part of their cheese "pairing" appetizer. Don't fall for it.