Billy's Boston Chowder House
29 East Main Street
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Billy's Boston Chowder House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bostonchowderhouse.com/
- Phone: 4088274005x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-3:00pm
Lunch: Sa-Su 11:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 3:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 3:00pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Entertainment: Live Music WEDNESDAYS, THURSDAY & SUNDAY 6-8.
A word from Billy's Boston Chowder House
Billy’s Boston Chowder House is like so many seaside restaurants known by the locals as their favorite family seafood eatery. More than a clam shack or lobster pound but a full service seafood restaurant. The essence of great New England Chowder House is not about elegance, it is about quality ingredients simply prepared so the natural flavor of seafood and fresh vegetables take center stage. It’s about the love of the sea and respect for each ingredient and the role they play. Billy’s Boston Chowder House serves both old and new friends from Boston and the Bay Area who have hearty sea lover appetites in search for traditional Yankee faire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Billy's Boston Chowder House reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (2)good for groups (1)neighborhood gem (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Home sweet homeAnnieDined on 6/15/2014If you're craving some back east seafood this is it. We had chowder, steamers, lobster rolls and fish sandwiches. Done just right! We will be back.Special Features:
- Home away from home!kriptionVIPDined on 6/8/2014Having recently moved from Boston to the Bay Area I was overly excited to find a place with Boston pride and Maine lobster (flown in weekly). This place is awesome - NESN on the TV with a Sox game showing, great staff, and the food was just like what I grew up eating.Special Features:
- The following 145 reviews are from the Billy's Boston Chowder House reviews archive.
- Always SO good!ManhattanVIPDined on 5/31/2014Always delicious! Great prices, cute atmosphere, reasonably priced. Always a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Boston menu itemsOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/30/2014First timers there, had the sand dabs and lobsta roll. Both very good and well prepared. A nice little find that takes reservations.Special Features:
- Great local placeLGraptorDined on 5/25/2014Wonderful east coast style seafood plus other dishes. Always something good on the menu. Busy place and they work hard at this side of town. Tom and his staff are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice addition to Los GatosJoreybDined on 5/16/2014Billy's is a nice addition to Los Gatos. The menu is extensive with a lot of healthy choices as well as the more traditional fried options. The portions are huge, and well prepared. The Boston Clam Chowder (complimentary for checking in on FB) was delicious, but I thought the Manhattan Chowder was overpowered by oregano. I ordered the Lobster Roll "dressed" in a tarragon mayonnaise (a little underseasoned) on a brioche roll. I was intending to eat only half of the huge portion, but the roll was so delicious, so light and fluffy, I ended up eating the entire sandwich and didn't feel stuffed. The coleslaw was also deliciously peppery. My son said the fried oysters were prepared perfectly with a light crisp batter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to Boston And that's for sure!FoodieDined on 5/16/2014The setting is straight out of Boston with the old brick walls, etc. then comes the chowder, crab cakes, and lobster roll. Delicious! The menu has many interesting choices and wish I had left room for the Boston Cream Pie!Special Features:
- Family dinnerMikemDined on 5/13/2014I had a great time, the service was the best I've seen in a long time. The food was very good. I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- The best chowda!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2014If you like chowda (New England or Manhattan) or delicious fish or seafood, treat yourself to Billy's. The crab cakes are full of crab, grilled, not fried. Simply wonderful. Reasonably priced, wonderfully fresh!Special Features:
- amazing clam chowderSungirlDined on 5/11/2014The food is really good, we have eaten her many times.. 95% of everything had been excellent! I like it when its less busy...can get loud and just feel crowded.. but really nice casual feel.Special Features:
- 1st Timer, Will Go BackTooLazyToCookDined on 5/9/2014We went on a last-minute whim, looking for something different. It definitely delivered. The clam chowder and lobster bisque were both excellent. We had a Captain's Platter, which was pretty good, except for the fried oysters which were very soggy (consider replacing them with something else; why I rated a 3 instead of 4) - maybe a sand dab? The service was very friendly and comfortable. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Dinner Friday NightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/20144:30 on Friday afternoon - where do go for dinner? Reserved a 6:30 table at Billy's - we were seated right away which was great - this place is small so sometimes they don't take into account the reservations. My husband had the Chioppino which was amazing. I had the special Halibut - very over priced, not much taste - seemed to be cut wrong - very disappointed. Chowder was great as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In A Word ...FoodieLoveVIPDined on 5/3/2014Fantastic ! You can't get better fish and chips anywhere, in my opinion, especially if you want them gluten free. (Gluten free by request. They even stock gluten free beer.) of course, I hear that the non-gluten-free folks rave just as well!0Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IrishgirlVIPDined on 5/3/2014The best lobster roll! Authentic East coast seafood. The owner, Billy, is onsite and very open to hear about whether the food is up to his high standards. Waitress was super friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Good casual fishDaleDined on 5/1/2014We have been twice and both times the fish has been very good. I like that they offer several types of sauces and preparations. The fish was very fresh. Also the bread was very good, lots of flavor. The only thing that we did not care for was the live entertainment, a jazz singer and guitar player. But fortunately they were about finished. The room is rather small and they seemed too close. But when they were done, it was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodating!jtlodiDined on 4/25/2014Group coming from out of town expanded from 12 to 16 and dining staff were very accommodating. Sand dabs were very tasty!!Special Features:
- EasterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2014We went with a group of 12 for Easter brunch. Service was amazing, food was great! We'll definitely be back!!Special Features:
- Excellent food & serviceJanetgDined on 4/19/2014Great place for fish. Friendly staff and owner if fantastic. Comes out to greet each patron and makes them feel special never rushes talking to anyone. Reservations are on time they tried to get is in early and did't so. Highly recommend this place. I am going back for the Lobster dinner. The Sand Dabs were fantastic. Thanks Billy for a great dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh & GoodDessertfirstVIPDined on 4/18/2014Met a friend for lunch here. Parking wasn't too difficult (street), and the place filled up shortly after we arrived. The menu is full of choices! Everything looked good. After our meal was over, I ordered some chowder for dinner that night. I'll bring my husband next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, Music was TOO LOUDMauiGirlVIPDined on 4/17/2014First time there and the food and service was great, but the live folk music was TOO LOUD. Not saying that the music was not good, it was just too loud for such a small space. The music would have been better if it was not amplified. We could not enjoy our food or each other's company. It was not enjoyable at all. I could not wait to get out of there - which was a shame. They have live music several nights a week - please check before you decide to go.
- Was excellent in every way.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2014Was excellent in every way. Would not recommend it a "quiet intimate" evening. Was lively & the food was fabulous. The sand dabs & lobster bisque was fabulous.
- Pricey but friendlyFoodieDined on 4/11/2014I was pleasantly surprised that Billy's has gluetin free sour dough bread but dissapointed when I tasted it. The Chowders were very good and the Captain's Platter (we shared this) was tasty and well prepared. We would have liked less squid and more oysters or calamari. The restaurant was clean and well served with pleasant staff. However, two soups, one Captain's Platter and 1 soft drink is not much for the $50. we spent. Since we do not live in the area we will not go out of our way to return.Special Features:
- great little placeDenmark71Dined on 4/2/2014Limited seating- so open table is a good idea. Very charming place in Los Gatos. Food is really good and prices are fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Lobsta Rolls!BonSDined on 3/31/2014The Manhattan and Boston clam chowdah were very good and the lobsta rolls were so good! Lots of hot lobster in the roll; so good. It wasn't very busy that night and Bill, the owner, came by and talked to all his guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafood dishes with relativelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/27/2014Good seafood dishes with relatively large portions. Solid choice in Los Gatos.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food court quality foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/26/2014The food had gone downhill since the last time (about a year ago) we went. We had the chowder sampler, the Manhattan tasted like tomato fish soup, the chowder tasted like thick salt water with clams and half cooked potato cubes, and the lobster bisque tasted like flour water with orange coloring (no lobster meat in sight). My husband had the fish and chips, the fish was covered in heavy batter that has no flavor. My lobster cioppino had a decent soup base, but the seafood (shrimps, clams, squids, mussels) were deeply frozen and you can still taste the freezer burn. I hate to say this but it seems the restaurant is now serving food court quality food. You call yourself a chowder house, at least at your chowder right!
- Craving some seafood?!EatandConfessVIPDined on 3/22/2014Had the Blue Point oysters, lobster bisque and bloody marys. It was all fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome awesome awesomet4omDined on 3/22/2014Real Boston flavor - great service - great food - looking forward to coming back to try more of the menu. We stayed safe and just went with the Fish n Chips and WOW....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly, cosy, fun placeIcemanVIPDined on 3/16/2014Very friendly staff crowd. Great seafood. Had an entertaining guitarist Fred McCarty when we were there to liven up the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great food and service!KathyVIPDined on 3/15/2014We had a great dinner at Billy's. Our server was absolutely wonderful, she was on the spot with everything! The New England chowder and steamed mussels were AMAZING. We also got the lobster roll and Captain's platter which were both great....but it was the chowder and mussels that will have us coming back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!ManhattanVIPDined on 3/13/2014Great food & great prices, just what LG needed! Loved the addition with the live music! Very fun. Marie, you are a great server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed the Music...My Bad!SemimagicVIPDined on 3/5/2014After a fun, pleasant dinner here last week, we got to speaking with Billy about the music they have in the evenings. Unfortunately, we got there at 8:00 and the music was already over...I was told it only runs from 6-8. We were looking for a place to hang out 'til 10...still like the place though!Special Features:
- CHEERS in Los GatosSemimagicVIPDined on 2/28/2014Warm eatery in town. Exactly as we had hoped, it was an authentic Boston corner bar/restaurant which it should be since it is run by a real Bawstonian. My wife and I both went to school in New England and two of our kids went to college in Boston so we know the real thing...and this is it!Special Features:
- very similiar to a red lobsteramysDined on 2/22/2014We recently ate at Billy's looking for a casual but good seafood restaurant. It was disappointing. Their Christmas bisque ($25) was separated, the lobsta roll was okay but not much flavor, very small, and way more bread than lobster. All of the lobster was very chewy and not flavorful. The ceviche was like salsa mixed with frozen little shrimp. When I asked the server if different items were fresh, I got the same answer - no it comes from a bag. They were out of the first three beers we asked for and had to settle for one that was a disappointment. The server and host were very friendly. The atmosphere was open and casual. Unfortunately, the food was on par with Red Lobster - over-priced, not fresh, and lacking in flavor.Special Features:
- great servicefoodloverVIPDined on 2/21/2014staff paid a lot og attention to us. made our lunch with our Unicle a great event. my we celabrated our uncles 89th birthday. with friends from the east coast. we all enjoyed ourselves. the made the event what we would like it to be.Special Features:
- Food is SO good!ManhattanVIPDined on 2/19/2014Such fresh seafood and the best lobster roll! The crab sandwich is also delicious! Can't go wrong with great food so reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Billy's did not disappoint!MarloJDVIPDined on 2/15/2014Perfect spot for our belated Valentine dinner! The staff was very friendly and welcoming. My husband tried Grandma's Gravy and loved it. The pasta was cooked perfectly and the sauce and sausage were amazing .I had the 2lb crab dinner and enjoyed every bite. The chowda was perfect as well! Can't wait to visit and try the Cioppino with Lobsta! Definitely, make a reservation if you want to avoid the long line.Special Features:
- Where do I begin? I thinkRalphDined on 2/15/2014Where do I begin? I think this might be the best meal that we had since moving from the east coast back in April. We started out with the Dungeness crab cakes and prawn cocktail. Both were very good. My wife had Boston Cioppino and I had Seafood Linguine. Both were Outstanding. The sauce was perfect. The flavors were amazing. You should Really mafe reservation on the weekend. We only had to wait about 10 minutes for our table. We have tried several seafood places in the south bay area and this is by far the best we been too. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFULmarykDined on 2/14/2014My favorite place for dinner. The chowder is fabulous and the lobster is to die for... This is my "go to" place for dinner or a special night out. The owner comes around to the table to see how you are doing and is very friendly. He chatted with us after our dinner and felt like a old friend. Can't wait to go back. Service was great too. It was Valentines Day and they were working hard. But that didn't stop them from giving excellent service. Every time I have been in has been a great experience and I tell all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey for the serving sizes.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/12/2014Pricey for the serving sizes. Food was good. Overall 'good' just not 'great'I would recommend this to a friend.