99 South 1st Street
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.maxsworld.com/billyberks/map.php?id=11
- Phone: 4082924300
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Tuesday: 11:30 AM - 10 PM (bar open until 10pm) Wednesday: 11:30 AM - 10 PM Thursday: 11:30 AM - 10 PM Friday:11:30 AM - 11 PM (bar open until midnight) Saturday: 12 PM - 11 PM (bar open until midnight) Sunday - 4 PM - 9 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Oscar Martinez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Billy Berk's has an intimate private dining room that seats 12 people comfortably.
- Private Party Contact: Reza Soleimany 4082924300
- Special Events: NOW OPEN FOR SUNDAY DINNER!... HAPPY HOUR SUNDAYS FROM 4-6... 25% OFF ALL BOTTOLES OF WINE ON SUNDAYS
A word from Billy Berk's
Variety is the spice of life. Caramelized Onion,Bacon, Cambozola Cheese Flatbread , Crab and Artichoke Hot Pot, Mojito Skirt Steak, and Cedar Plank Salmon with Maple Glaze just to name a few, Billy Berk's has flavors for all palettes. Set in a historic, downtown San Jose brick and timber building, Billy Berk's features a large island bar with 4 50 inch TV's and an open-air patio, perfect for after work, pre-game festivities, and dates; let us know other good excuses.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Billy Berk's reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (18)vibrant bar scene (10)neighborhood gem (8)special occasion (7)fit for foodies (6)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)romantic (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- A FaveSpysyDined on 10/9/2014I have been going to Billy Berk's for years! Interesting food choices. Best margarita in town. Very consistent on all fronts. It has a rustic atmosphere with a vibrant bar scene many nights. It's easy to get a quick meal at the bar before a play or a movie. And comfortable enough to stay at a table with friends for drinks and conversation. Mojito skirt steak, Ahi Niçoise salad are favorites and be sure to try their small plates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun :)BoskiDined on 8/26/2014A great atmosphere! I love the decor and layout. Food is yummy and there are a variety of fun drinks. Great for a date night or a night out with the girls! Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NetoDined on 8/24/2014I found that Billy Berks is a great place to have a nice dinner.Special Features:
- Noisy but nice outdoor areagorgeDined on 8/16/2014Great is a little strong. The outdoor area is cute but backs to another outdoor restaurant. Result is very loud. There was a big group and we had to move indoors to hear each other. A fun party place though. Food was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay...PixseGalDined on 8/10/2014Overall it was an okay experience, but I don't think I will be going back. When our food came out, it was kinda warm and not all that great. The sides served with the dishes were good but small and kinda pricey. The tiramisu was pretty good though.Special Features:
- Needed more service for large partyKie914Dined on 8/8/2014I've been to this restaurant many times. I've also hosted several large parties in the back room for birthday parties etc. Normally we get excellent service but this time was different. There were large amounts of time when we didn't see the waitress at all. It was a bit frustrating but we dealt with it to avoid bringing any negativity to the party. In the future, i think two people should be assigned to a party as it ensures that someone is always checking to make sure the customer is ok. I'd rather be checked on often than deal with long lags between the times we see the waitress. It was roughly 12 of us and people needed drinks, appetizers etc at different times. Other than the service, the food and drink were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service!brewskyDined on 8/3/2014This place was recommended by a friend. It's convenient to parking. Very reasonably priced, including corkage at $15. The ribs were indeed 'fall off the bone', just as described. They were tender, great flavor and not saturated with BBQ sauce. Perfect! The garlic mashed were excellent as was the fried zucchini appetizer. I tasted the sauce of the Spicy Louisiana Prawns and it was fabulous...excellent balance of flavor and heat. We'll be back!Special Features:
- great service, good food4thgenCAVIPDined on 8/3/2014Billy Berk's is a fun place in downtown San Jose. We arrived early on a Sunday evening, and it was quiet, but when I've been by the restaurant at other times, it's been hopping. It also functions as a sports bar (there are big TVs with games playing). Our server was super attentive and deserves special thanks from us because she held on to our credit card after my husband had forgotten it (duh!). Food was very good--nice Chinese salad for me, fish and chips for one of us, fettucine alfredo for the other person with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodAndieDined on 7/19/2014Great food and great service....so much to choose from!Special Features:
- Yes, I'll come backfoodismylifeDined on 6/28/2014the food was delicious...the beet salad and the ahi salads are some of the best that I've triedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 385 reviews are from the Billy Berk's reviews archive.
- Great only for happy hour.... MenuERuizDined on 6/21/2014I spent my gift card of 100$ on items from the main menu.. I should have stuck to the happy hour menu... The Flat Bread is great... but my meal was no flavor, the fish and chips were soggy inside the bread.. and the burger was ok.. I want my money back... but that will never happen!!!
- Come here!HungryinSFDined on 6/17/2014A group of us were at the convention center. I had made reservations for 4 and we walked in with 10. They made an instant accommodation, and we were so happy they did. Everyone loved their selection, from salad to sandwich or wrap. High quality food, tasty, and great service. Will definitely go back. Fun atmosphere!Special Features:
- Eh...KevinDined on 6/14/2014Not impressed. Great flat bread and salad. A staff member other than our server brought the main course and set it down without clearing the table. Annoying when you're in a small table as we were. The steak was tough. Could barely get my fork into it, but the prawns and the sauce were great. The jazz band playing was horrible. Kind of soured things worse. Good drinks and a friendly waitress though.
- JazzyLivemusicDined on 6/13/2014Downtown San Jose Classic Bar with good variety of dishes, pasta, steaks, complete bar, quite and good jazz. perfect place to take a date for the first time.Special Features:
- Should have gone elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/24/2014Went for my graduation dinner celebration. Poor choice. Overpriced and the food is blah. We sent two dishes back. I ordered the Louisiana Shrimp dish---6 shrimp for 23 dollars...??!! no thanks. We ended up going to another restaurant because we were still hungry and the food was crap. No wonder the place was empty on a Saturday night!!
- Promise unfulfilledEatonthegoDined on 5/11/2014Great concept flawed by execution. Staff attempts but amateur in approach. Food is adequate but many better in this price range. Nice location, concept and ambiance needs a step up in service and cuisine to get to 4 starsSpecial Features:
- No muss, No Fusslulu2Dined on 4/19/2014Easy to make a reservation on a Saturday night. Quick hostest, nice waitress, yummy food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice AmbianceAnneVIPDined on 3/23/2014Nice ambiance, adequate service. Food was a little pricy for what you get, but tasted good. Happy hour menu was nice.Special Features:
- ahi tunacelebrationVIPDined on 3/13/2014i read great reviews of the ahi tuna stack. it did not disappoint. good size portions as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My go to spot.BobbyDined on 3/8/2014As always, great service and wonderful food. This is my go to restaurant. If I take someone anywhere else, that means I don't care for them. Go hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner outOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/1/2014We had a good time at Billy Berks, before hitting a show at JJs. The food was good, and the service was excellent - which is a rarity these days on the Peninsula. And the prices were very reasonable given the location. Parking just down the street in a public lot - can't beat that.
- In the heart of San JoseNickname1Dined on 3/1/2014I was looking for a place for dinner with my grown kids close to the airport. After reading some reviews, I chose this based on internet research. Our server, a young woman, was helpful and prompt. The food was good enough but nothing to rave about. The entrees came with a couple of side choices and I went with the green beans. They were the least enjoyable of the meal, seemingly cooked the day before and reheated since the texture was shriveled with no fresh snap. There are many dining options close by and I don't know if I would go here again but only because I would rather keep trying others. The used brick building was warm and ambient and we had a big, comfortable booth at the back of the room which was nice.Special Features:
- Love Billy BerksStaciebugDined on 2/23/2014Always good atmosphere and warm comfort food. Love the big booths for dining. We had a nice meal and great time. Good place to watch sports from the bar too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Decent BarGuyNonplussedDined on 2/15/2014When you can't get in anywhere else, I highly recommend Billy Berk's. This was the downtown restaurant where I could make a last minute reservation when my favs were all booked. This was probably my third time there. I like the food ok but would not call it memorable. The service has been somehow disappointing each time. Not that it's bad, but there seem to be minor issues each time. Most recently: waiter (English speaking) doesn't understand the names of the wines. Part of our order never came out until we ask for it. And I've just never felt the love. I do like their large bar, a full square in the center of the main dining room, and the big windows opening on the busy corner of 1st and San Fernando.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't get me wrong!RestaurantVisiterDined on 2/13/2014This place was really good. The food is amazingly delicious and the staff was friendly, attentive and professional. The only reason why I'm docking points is because I added a side of steamed broccoli and it was never delivered, but it was charged to my tab, and we asked for a refill on our diet coke, and he never came back with it. I'm not one to lower his tip, or ask twice. I don't feel that a server should ever forget items like that. Other than that, the food tasted great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great!brobonVIPDined on 2/11/2014Fourth time dining here, with a group of 4 before the theater. The menu is not huge, but the selection is wonderful, and being able to select your side dish makes it even better. Three of us had the salmon, which was fantastic, as was the cobb salad with steak. And they usually have some unique cocktails - the martinis are always a hit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Solid Good.....CathTimmDined on 1/29/2014I would have given 4 stars if the service was better; Still like the restaurant, will try it again, and do recommend it. Food good; Staff friendly; Service very slow. Waited 20 minutes for order to be taken and 25 for it to be served. We had the calamari appetizer, which was fun because it also had fried Jalapeño peppers, onion strings and lemons in it. Yes, I did say fried lemons. They were unique and delicious. The sauces were good, not extraordinary. My husband had the French Dip sandwich. It was big, had a lot of meat (without stringy fat) and flavorful au juice. I had the Mojoto Skirt Steak, with fresh green beans. The steak quality was good and the beans were cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly acceptable pre-game spotOwTingPowDined on 1/11/2014Stopped here for dinner before going to a Sharks game. They had no problem seating 6 people, we had reservations but given the size and layout of the place they would have been able to seat us without reservations easily enough too. Ambiance is pub/tavern style, no need to dress fancy. Large bar turns out decent cocktails quickly. Food is OK but tries too hard. Mojito steak sliders were tasty, but more attention to which piece of meat goes on the slider would be appreciated. Ahi-tuna tower was over-dressed and the house-made tortilla chips were unevenly fried. Shoe-string onion rings were pretty, but flavorless. Overall it was OK but the kitchen just can't quite live up to the promise of the menu. Good for casual dinner and drinks.Special Features:
- A Great Choice DowntowndowntowndinerDined on 1/6/2014Never disappointed when I take folks to Billy Berk's. There is something for everyone on the menu, and the food is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My family had a very niceKarenVIPDined on 11/27/2013My family had a very nice evening at Billy Berk's. It wasn't our first time dining there - we had been there once before. It's welcoming - their servers are attentive, without being intrusive. Service is quick - cocktails are very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, so-so servicePartyOf6Dined on 11/23/2013We like the food and menu selection, but we had to wait at least 45 minutes for our entrees and the entrees and sides came out a different times. We've been here before and had better service, so not sure what the issue was this time. Our server was good, just seemed like the kitchen was having difficulty on this particular night, maybe because of the crowd of Sharks fans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The sausage appetizer andNicknameDined on 11/19/2013The sausage appetizer and salmon entree were great, the ribeye steak was good.Special Features:
- Nothing special. More of a barMNfamDined on 11/9/2013Would be ok for a few drinks casual place before a game. Not good for a nice dinner. Food was ok. Nothing special.
- We were unfortunately satOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2013We were unfortunately sat next to a big group of 20 or so people (looked like a large family), so there were some disruptive children running around during our dining experience. Otherwise, the service was great, food was very good, and was an overall good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go EarlyMunchieDined on 10/30/2013We had excellent and fast service. We didn't need to tell server that we had to get to the theater by a certain time. The food and service were quick and tasty. The calamari appetizer was crisp and hot and the entrees cooked exactly as we liked. My date had steak and I had cedar planked salmon. Portions aren't large and most entrees served with one side only, so if you're a heavy eater, you may have to order an extra side. Prices are reasonable, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy HourdatspeedVIPDined on 10/25/2013Visted Billy Berk's for happy hour. Very nice choice of menu items at a reasonalbe price. Nice cocktail and beer selection, too. Happy hour is from 3 to 7 M-F and noon to 5 on Saturday. The cocktails were excellent - liberal pouring of the spirits. The crispy oriental beef was excellent. Also had the calarmari, sweet potatoe fries and zucchini which were also very good. The only thing that we didn't care for was the BBQ pork sliders - it was way too salty - the waitress blamed the onion bun. Portions were ample. Fun place for a happy hour. We also like lunch and dinner there, too.Special Features:
- Nice Food Selection. Fantastic Bar.pwcisloDined on 10/19/2013There's not play in the Bay Area I've been that serves a Caipirinha, that special drink from Brazil. It was a very tasty treat. My special meal of the evening was the Prime Rab, which was delicious. The potatoes au gratin we okay as was the wedy salad. It needed more dressing and bacon bits. The wine list was good and enjoyed all we had. When we got attention the service was good. I think this was affected because we had some guests join us late due to traffic.
- It's changed, not for the better.cgdmbbkbDined on 10/18/2013We have have been very dissapointed the last three times we've been here, once in July for a birthday dinner, the first night of the Jazz festival and last week. The service and quality of food has changed dramatically. This used to be a favorite place to meet friends for any occasion over the years. Unfortunately, 3 strikes means you are out.
- Good burger. Kind of a localDQ11VIPDined on 10/10/2013Good burger. Kind of a local feel. Not much of a beer selection.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice placeRestaurantLurkerDined on 10/5/2013Nothing wrong with this place. Waiters were attentive and food was good.Special Features: