Bill's Food & Drink
57 East 54th St.
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Bill's Food & Drink
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bills54.com/
- Phone: (212)518-2727x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 3:00pm
Monday - Thursday, 5:30 - 1:00pm
Friday & Saturday, 5:30 - 10:00[pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Delucie
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Piano Bar starting at 7pm Monday to Saturday
Since 1924, Bill's has been hailed as one of the original and legendary piano bars.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday - Michael Garin
If you've spent any time in New York City after 9pm in the last two decades, chances are you're already familiar with Michael. He has played in such legendary boîtes as The Monkey Bar, The Rainbow Room, Café Feenjon, the notorious VIP Room at Limelight, and Elaine's.
Wednesday & Friday - Rick Macdonald
For 15 years, Rick played 3 nights a week at Bill's and was the most loved piano player in the restaurant, his skill of cultivating the crowd from the start of the evening and building the music as the night goes is a great skill Rick has and is one of the reasons he attracts such a big crowd. Broadway favorites through jazz classics and rock n roll standards are all in his long book!
A word from Bill's Food & Drink
John DeLucie is the Chef Proprietor of Bill's Food & Drink, Crown, and The Lion in New York City. The highly anticipated Bill's Food & Drink is now open in Manhattan’s Midtown and features hearty American cuisine. Crown, located on the Upper East Side, opened in September 2011 and features Continental cuisine. The Lion, located in the West Village, opened in May 2010 and features a menu consistent with the Chef himself; classic American with undeniable Italian influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bill's Food & Drink reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (11)special occasion (6)good for groups (6)fit for foodies (6)hot spot (5)romantic (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Not your father's Bill's 90sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014Excellent food. A tad expensive, but worth it overall. Attentive service. Fantastic room. They really "Fixed up" the place. Not like the old days. (I think they actually clean). The one complaint would be it is a tad expensive. For the food, one doesn't mind, but the wine list is bordering on ridiculous. There might be 45 wines total on the wine list for under $100. Fun is fun, and there are I-Bankers on expense accounts who happily order $400 bottles of wine and expense it. However, a good sommelier should be able to unearth more offerings in the $50 to $75 range that can carry the food they serve. there are about 20 wines total priced between $50 and $75. Another 25 priced between $75 and $100, or which 12 are $90 and up.Special Features:
- great local piano bar & good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014This is one of my favorite places in NY - it's old school local fun with the piano player and a good group of people. Depending on the crowd you'll have people dancing and singing or just listening. Very nice place for dinner (they have upstairs dining room and some seating downstairs) and just enjoying the evening.Special Features:
- What a nice timeLovegoodfoodVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had such a lovely time. The turkey sandwich was excellent and the staff were very knowledgeable and friendly. We'll definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/25/2014great restaurant.. great old school charm buyt felt clean.. service was great and the food was greatSpecial Features:
- Nice LunchDavidlillianVIPDined on 6/19/2014We had a nice simple lunch. Both had a turkey sandwich and a drink. Drinks were good but not very large. Better for the head. The restuarant is very attractive and the ambiance is very nice. Definitely would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- G&CgaylaVIPDined on 6/16/2014Always a great dining experience...food is outstanding. And visually beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickVIPDined on 6/10/2014I wasn't crazy about the wine list. Although they had a number of great wines at the high end of the spectrum they had an extremely limited selection of nice wines at less than $100/bottle. Overall I thought the restaurant was good but I wouldn't call it great. All of the service staff were very good.Special Features:
- The following 94 reviews are from the Bill's Food & Drink reviews archive.
- Great place for lunch or dinnerharper45Dined on 5/20/2014Great food, lovely ambiance and warm and attentive service!Special Features:
- Another Great SpotLovegoodfoodVIPDined on 5/16/2014We loved everything about this place. Food and Service were wonderful. ThanksSpecial Features:
- AmazingLovegoodfoodVIPDined on 4/25/2014We had such a great time. Food and service were great. The only negative was the wine list being too expensive :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MshapsVIPDined on 4/24/2014I just love it here. They ambience is great and the good is always top notchSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/16/2014Food was ok and service attentive. Crowded with tables place close together so questionable for business conversation, even though most of the customers were business-looking people. Cobb salad for lunch was not well executed--lettuce was slightly limp, chicken not cut nicely or small enough and avocado brown and unappetizing. The dressing reeked of garlic (or I did for two days after lunch). The service was attentive, if a bit rushed, and the servers clumsily slammed clean plates down on the table next to ours in the middle of our meal. So OK, but no need to rush back.
- solidzak67VIPDined on 4/9/2014this caps off hitting all of the gems john has put out there, food very tasty, drinks solid!Special Features:
- Good for LunchDavidlillianVIPDined on 4/3/2014Had a nice lunch with a business colleague. Food was good but overall we found the restaurant to be quite pricey. Drinks were quite expensive. For food we had a wedge for an appetizer and a burger and turkey sandwich for main courses. A cappuccino to finish up. Overall nothing special but still good for local business people for lunchI would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/29/2014I really wanted to like this place. We went to the bar for a drink then upstairs for dinner. Service in both areas was excellent. Upstairs is sort of tasteful funky decor - quite interesting. Wine list was a bit limited (and WATCH OUT for the price of the last red listed by the glass... $32 for a glass of wine? That is the last time I skim the list before ordering). The food was not great, but ok - except for the piece of plastic wrap that I found in the dessert. There is live music (piano) downstairs in the bar. They were playing nice blues upstairs. Unfortunately the piano (some sort of ragtime) over-shadowed and conflicted with the nice blues sound track making for a less than pleasant experience.
- Amazing!!!LovegoodfoodVIPDined on 3/28/2014We had an amazing lunch experience. It was great to see the manager working the room with his staff service was flawless and the food amazing! We ordered the asparagus soup and was an excellent choice for such a cold morning, the cod sandwich was delicious and the chicken Milanese was divine. Thank you for such a great experience. We’ll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overcharged for poor serviceLunch54VIPDined on 3/26/2014My credit card was overcharged when I check my account after my lunch visit to Bill's. I'm not sure if the server decided he wanted a bigger tip or what. I have called the restaurant and left messages for the manager with no response. Bad service does not get rewarded with a 20% tip in my book. I thought 18% was fair, apparently they didn't.
- Great space, amazing food, awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2014One of the best decorated restaurants I've been to. Hard to find something this unique in midtown that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Food was all amazing. Service was extremely attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lukewarm experienceJDAustinDined on 3/10/2014Characteristically warm greeting when you check in. Loose stair rods sound like the runner will collapse at any moment -- but still charming. The main dining room is warm, vintage-y and clubby, half-full with mostly male couples. Are there any specials tonight? No. Could I get the very-similar salad that I saw outside on the pre-theater prix-fixe? No. One item didn't arrive as ordered. Red snapper is on the do-not-eat fish list. Lots of beef but I didn't see that it was designed grass-fed, which it should be at a place like this (or anywhere else, really). Overall, the energy wasn't there this time, but the atmosphere/decor can't be beat.Special Features:
- Not great2bizzyVIPDined on 3/4/2014Can't beat the atmosphere. The service was superb. The meat was overdone, there were hairs in the dessert, and the wine list was far too pricey even by manhattan standards ( bottles that retail for around $100 being listed for over $300). To be fair, there were more reasonably priced wines on the list. I was just struck by the markup on wines i know. Terrific and lively bar scene, perhaps the kitchen was just off it's game that night, but you only get one chance for a first impression, and this wasn't great.
- Good business lunch mtgErwinVIPDined on 2/28/2014The upstairs dining room is comfortable, quiet and great ambiance for a business lunch. It is one of the best places in the neighbourhood. Food is good too and it is not too difficult to get a table.Special Features:
- lots of funfunebrokerDined on 2/26/2014I brought some clients and colleagues. Great night, food was very good, service not bad, and fun scene. Great place.Special Features:
- Beautiful space, poor executionluv3dineDined on 2/22/2014Gorgeous - like an old time men's club. Unfortunately, the wait staff seems to have been instructed to walk non-stop in a figure eight between tables looking for something to do. If you look up from your food, they will catch your eye and ask if you need anything, or assuming you need something, pour water into your already sufficiently full glass. Then there's the karaoke quality live music downstairs in the bar which drowns out the wonderful atmospheric jazz music in the restaurant upstairs. Seated in a gorgeous booth at the front of the restaurant, I eventually had to be moved due to the vibrating noise beneath my feet of "Hotel California" sung by someone swallowing his mic. Bean paste in sausage pasta gave pasta overcooked texture.
- Rare midtown spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2014Amongst a long list of boring midtown restaurants, this place is a welcome change. The upstairs eating area reminds you of a hip Williamsburg eatery. Good food, great atmosphere and very good staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best of all worlds5timefanVIPDined on 2/14/2014Animal heads on the walls and juicy steaks with wedge salads on the tables, yet romantic lighting, tables spaced apart, and opportunity for real conversation. Add friendly and down-to-earth wait-staff, touches of authentic old New York (truly tasteful renovation), and a lively piano bar with patrons happily singing along. It was fun, and I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good, but very expensivesrnlx01Dined on 2/14/2014I came here for Valentine's day. My gf and I absolutely loved the food, everything was just really great. The restaurant is great for dates, very intimate and classy. Personally, I just found it to be very expensive. I've been to some nice places in the city, but the bill ended up being at least $150 higher than any other restaurant than we'd been to.Special Features:
- My girlfriend and I went thereGillygooleyDined on 2/14/2014My girlfriend and I went there for Valentines Day dinner. once seated we opted for the Valentines day special menu at $100 each. Unfortunately I dont think it was worth it. It included just three courses. I won't go into all the details but with two glasses of wine each plus tax and tip the bill came to $330.
- Steaks not the bestsam1959VIPDined on 2/11/2014For NYC steak place bone in filet was at best average. Expected better. Maybe an off night???Special Features:
- Great FindOsccawanalakeDined on 1/23/2014Have a client in this area and found this gem on Open Table. It was so nice and warm and friendly. It was quiet because the walls have fabric and art to absorb the noise. We had a nice table on the second floor. While the menu was small it had some very nice choices. Everything we had was delicious. We were both very pleased.Special Features:
- Food was very good but theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/28/2013Food was very good but the service was slow. they have a short menu, heavy on beef. nice ambiance.Special Features:
- Wonderful ambiance. Very goodNYCatXmasDined on 12/24/2013Wonderful ambiance. Very good food. We expected very high prices and sure got them. Some things were a little ridiculous. But overall a very very nice dinner and would definitely recommend it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tell em Charlie sent youOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/23/2013Bill's is a great place for a romantic evening. During the days of prohibition, Bill's was a neighborhood speakeasy. The decor reflects this, with pictures on the walls and 1920s music playing overhead. The food is delightful, American and the service was very attentive without being intrusive. I had Bill's burger, a signature dish - 8 ounces of beef heaven; my companion had the roasted chicken which was superb. the restaurant is small, and reservations are strongly recommended. There's a small bar downstairs where there was live music the night we were there. All in all, a great evening.Special Features:
- Different ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/16/2013For a NYC steak house this offered a different ambiance that was clearly based on it's design. The room upsatirs is cool and it's high ceilings give it a great town house feel. Looks like it is here to stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall: Good foodMichaelVIPDined on 12/7/2013First impressions are that you are in a cozy town home -- probably of your wealthy older aunt and uncle. There's worn wood and reflections of old things everywhere in the place. I enjoyed the feel and the lighting of the place, but it does have an air of ivy league cast about it. We came in and quickly brushed off to the bar for a quick drink while they prepared our table, missing our chance to get a look at the really good cocktails. We found those later, during round two at the dinner table. As for the food, it was well done and fresh. It was not spectacular, except the apple tart was phenomenal. We shared crab meat, scallops, potatoes, and a beat salad -- plus the tart and drinks. Nothing stood out except the aura and the tart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clubby spotPianogirl7VIPDined on 12/6/2013You feel like you are in London at a private dining club! Great American food and delicious wines to go with it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bills pub and grubspacethoughtDined on 12/3/2013For a mid-week luncheon, met a friend in the bar, which was pungent with bar smells & grimy (although somewhat charming) effects. Upstairs we confronted a solid mass of TOM or Tables of Men. I the only female. Decor is hip & warm & delights the eye, service was spotty-we were served many diff drinks we didn't order which were reallocated to correct patrons. Food was delicious-tuna tartare starter, lump crab starter, Codwich was good only, but the apple crumble was great minus the soured cream topping. All very British except for the blotchy service. Attitude was congenial & professional despite mishaps. Would go again for lunch or dinner with friends or a steady but not for romance or to impress. Overall-good food, nice atmosphere-grimySpecial Features:
- Bill'sCraftyDined on 11/21/2013Would recommend Bill's for a date night. The food is delightful. Be sure to make reservations for the dinner date. If you just want drinks, they have a very energetic bar scene downstairs.Special Features:
- I love the location and interiorDavidRDined on 11/5/2013I love the location and interior of this spot, similar to the sister location, The Lion. The service however was terrible. It took 30 minutes to get the wine ordered. The second bottle came after the meal was over. Never a full glass of water, and understaffed. When I gently complained, I got a nasty response and look. Really, is this what good service looks like? It was my second time at Bill's and there will not be a third.
- Very disappointed in the food.BabzellaDined on 11/2/2013Very disappointed in the food. I had been here last winter and really enjoyed myself. this time the food was cold, the portions very small and a small glass of wine very expensive. For the high price the food should be much better
- ok food, poor serviceclelandVIPDined on 10/18/2013Waiter didn't know what a Sazerac was and couldn't describe how the caesar salad was made other than to say it was romaine with caesar dressing. Sommelier couldn't give any reason for her wine recommendation other than she preferred the older (read: more expensive) vintage. Steak was pretty good, but probably overpriced. On the bright side, it's not crowded anymore or difficult to get a reservation.Special Features: