208 Queen Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bilbobaggins.net/
- Phone: 7036830300
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: (limited menu) 11:30am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Lite fare: Saturday & Sunday: 2:30pm - dinner begins; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Armellino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Bilbo Baggins Restaurant offers off-site catering. Please call Michael Armellino @ (703) 683-0300 for more information
- Cross Street: Fairfax & Lee Streets
- Public Transit: The Dash bus has 2 stops on Fairfax Street near the intersection of Queen St. The restaurant is located on Queen St. between Fairfax and Lee Streets. There are 2 metro stops in Alexandria that will get you within 15-17 blocks of the restaurant. The metro stops are King St. or Braddock Road. From there its just a quick cab ride or nice walk.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available evenings and weekends in the private parking lot directly across the street from the restaurant. There is an attendant. The fee is currently $4. For lunch dining Monday through Friday, there are public lots located near the restaurant and street parking.
A word from Bilbo Baggins
A casual local restaurant & pub with tasty food, unusual wines & beers from around the world, and friendly service. The green dragon pub sports 12 beers on tap with over 100 bottles from which to choose. Wines are offered by the glass or bottle with a full bar that offers unusual martinis as well as other libations. A fire place and 4 HDTVs add to the experience. Upstairs, guests find cozy tables located within 3 dining room areas. All menu selections are offered both in the pub and dining rooms. Experience a tantalizing tapas menu with a selection of cheeses, fire cracker shrimp and fresh calamari just to name a few. Visit us for lunch or dinner 7 days a week. Join us for a spectacular Sunday brunch which includes Frodo's french toast made from our homemade cracked wheat & raisin bread, a variety of omelets as well as other delicious brunch & lunch items. Located in Old Town Alexandria just 2 blocks from the river on Queen Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bilbo Baggins reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (23)good for groups (22)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (17)kid-friendly (15)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (11)great for brunch (9)romantic (8)special occasion (7)hot spot (4)Show More
- time conflictdiningfortwoDined on 10/19/2014This restaurant has three different times posted for when it opens on Sunday. So when we showed up at the time posted on the restaurant's website they weren't open. So unprofessional!
- Worth tryingProfx72Dined on 10/17/2014It's a strange, quirky kind of a place fit for a Hobbit. The decor is rustic and a little cramped, and the floors are off level. Don't go if you have an aversion to stairs. The food was pretty good, though, and the prices were comparable to an Outback or other mid-level restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better for brunch instead of dinnerAragronDined on 10/11/2014The brunch here is the way to go. Dinner tonight was disappointing as the brautwurst was over cooked and tasteless and the duck breast was fatty. The pizza was good and probably a safe bet. Lastly, beware of booths as ours was a bit tight for four adults.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bag BagginspalmettoDined on 10/11/2014Service was good. Waiter was attentive and pleasant . Unfortunately the food did not match the quality of the service. Cinnamon Pork chops were tough and fatty. Swordfish had a definite fishy after taste.
- Good food -work on serviceACDCDined on 10/8/2014The food was very good and priced accordingly. The restaurant had a nice ambiance to to it. Unfortunatly the service was slow and subpar. Since I was in no rush, it was okay, but this is an area the certainly need to improve on. I waited approximately 10 minutes before a server even acknowledged I was there and there was no host or hostess.Special Features:
- GREAT food experienceLoveGoodFoodDined on 10/4/2014We haven't been to Bilbo Baggins in years - and were happy to discover that they have NOT lost their touch with serving really fantastic food. All the entrees were great and the dessert was sublime. Such a treasure, this restaurant!!Special Features:
- Friday Date NightLuv2DineDined on 9/26/2014The wait staff was great! He was attentive, but did not hover. Water glasses refilled before they were empty, came by periodically to check if the table needed anything. Only issue that we had is our waiter was the only recommendations he offered were Spanish (guacamole, sangria etc) to not only our table but others he served as well. There were many German specials running for OktoberFest, but he did not suggest any. The food was good, not great. We both had an OktoberFest special, the spaetzel was under seasoned, absolutely no salt and tasteless, although cooked well. The Wiener Schnitzel and the chicken with mushroom sauce were both wonderful - flavorful, tender. We would go back to try more dishes.Special Features:
- PippinDined on 9/20/2014This place was a great find and well worth a special trip. I can't wait to go back! The food and bevs were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/18/2014We were brought us a basket of bread which was icy cold from the fridge. We had to ask for bread which was at least at room temperature. We were told us the daily specials, which included quiche lorraine. Waitress also informed us that she had one piece of crab quiche left. Can only assume it was from the previous day. I ordered the quiche lorraine, which arrived burnt on the bottom and sliced in half horizontally. Totally overcooked. The waitress reappeared 3/4 thru lunch. I showed her the quiche, asked her to show the kitchen, and she removed it from the table. She asked if I wanted to order something else, but since my party was almost done, i said no. When my check arrived I was charged for the quiche. Would not return.
- Bilbo Baggins redeuxOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014We have been to Bilbo several times but this past experience was not good. Only three of the four meals were delivered since there was confusion on the order between the server and the kitchen. Refills on drinks were slow and at times non-existent. I was very disappointed considering our past experiences.Special Features:
- Wonderful timeHighlandBeagleDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I met my sister and her family for dinner at Bilbo Baggins. We were led to the upstairs room and seated at a roomy table. The restaurant is quirky and cute but still has an Old Town feel. Food was excellent and our waiter could not have been more attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- Great service and ambiancePiratequeenDined on 8/31/2014Friendly, welcoming staff and great surroundings. Awesome draft and bottled craft beer list as well as an extensive wine list. Food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bilbo's ROCKSCourage6Dined on 8/30/2014Awesome beer list, great dining environment, great pizza & an unforgettable worldly beer list lead to an epic eating experience... We'll be back with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and DrinkSabresruleDined on 8/26/2014I took a client to BB for dinner to thank them for working with me. I heard about BB from a friend and went on line. The food was delicious, the website was spot on and the beer and wine selection was fantastic. I would recommend BB to anyone I know and look forward to returning the next time I am in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingsireatsalotDined on 8/23/2014I've been here for lunch and happy hour several times, and have loved the food and drinks. However, dinner was a different story. We both ordered from the specialty cocktail menu- Gandalf's New Fashion and some ice tea/whiskey concoction. Both were overly sweet and tasted like they forgot the liquor. As for the food- my date ordered the chicken penne and I had a seafood risotto. The chicken was undeniably rubbery, like it was pre-cooked a day or two ago and warmed up. The seafood in my risotto was horrible- definitely frozen, chewy, and lacking in flavor. The risotto was mushy and watery. All in all, we felt it was a waste of $70. We still love Bilbo's, but will keep it to happy hour and lunch from now on!Special Features:
- Salmon BLTOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014One of the best BLT's I've ever eaten and the fact that they had Ole Speckled Hen on nitro-draft made my day.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014I recommend gandalfs pie pizza. The Lord of the rings theme is very cute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!delish87Dined on 8/15/2014The food here is outstanding; I've been twice now, and both times was impressed with how tasty the dishes were. The bread on the table for dinner was a little heavy for my taste, but it was free so can't really complain there :) This place also has the longest beer list I've ever seen!Special Features:
- Great place.weekendwarriorsDined on 8/15/2014This place was great. The burgers were awesome and the service was fast and always with a smile. Will definitely be back on our next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Major MehDaveDined on 8/15/2014Flavors were good overvall but, leaving, no one wanted to return. Tomato bread was like an 80s flashback... which is when it seemed to have been made, dry and tough. My wife got a veggie plate of cold food with cold spots. It was warmed up on request but not hot. My fish wasn't fully cleaned, giving a nasty fishy taste. The soda cans were warm, though poured over ice, less of an issue. Sausage on pizza was severely over cooked (pre cooked?) and crispy. The service was very fast, efficient, and pleasant as the restaurant was a fifth full. The beer and wine lists are long and well priced for dining out but underwhelming. BBs is trading on it's former glory days and now it running on autopilot with no real hands on management.Special Features:
- Great find in AlexandriaBethDined on 8/10/2014Bilbo Baggins is a great place for a gourmet dinner. It has an extensive beer and wine list. The food was amazing and their bread is great. We have been going here for years. Try the lobster and shrimp bisque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bilbo Bagginsvisitorsfromthenorth2014Dined on 8/7/2014This was our first time in the Old Town section of Alexandria, and we enjoyed the meal at Bilbo Baggins. The restaurant seems more like a college style eatery than a family style restaurant, but everyone was friendly and the service was good. The food was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Craft Beer List!DiningDorsVIPDined on 7/31/2014Go, you won't be disappointed. Something for everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with BilbodmbechDined on 7/30/2014Location was nice, appearance from outside was quaint. Bar area downstairs was busy. Had an awkward wait to be seated as there wasn't anyone there to seat you. Food was good but service was slow. Waiter kept disappearing and wouldn't return for a while but we weren't in a hurry. Overall, was a pleasant experience with good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad home cooking.TravelGalDined on 7/27/2014Went with friends and ordered the Wiener schnitzel...it was like bad home cooking, definitely no finesse. Meat, spatzel and veggies had large amounts of butter dropped on top after cooking. This is the second time I've been here and the food was as bad as the first. Won't be returning.
- Bilbo Baggins Return trip a mustTravelingPalateVIPDined on 7/26/2014Tried the duck spring roll with ponzu sauce that had an unusual combination of flavors (meaty, crisp and citrusy) for the appetizer. Had a succulent duck breast with yukon gold and sweet potatoes; the light delicious but filling House Salad with apples, caramelized walnuts, feta and raspberry vinaigrette and a dried out cedar plank salmon with a delicious sauce. Deserts were fantastic: cappuccino cake and hawaiian delight with guava sorbet. Coming back for more.
- DCFanVIPDined on 7/25/2014First time there and the food was terrific....service was great......and a real neighborhood gem....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JulyinsaratogaDined on 7/24/2014my request for a quiet table in the rear was happily accommodatedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not great!BronxYankeeVIPDined on 7/12/2014It's a good restaurant. The food is USUALLY good and the service was very good considering how crowded it was.Special Features:
- Would not go backAlexandriaVIPDined on 7/12/2014We were there on a Saturday evening - the place was REALLY loud, the service was terrible, but the food was good. Unfortunately, when you are in a super loud restaurant with a scowling waitress the good food does not have much of an opportunity to shine. If you have kids, it is worth mentioning that while they do have $13 pizzas, there is no children't menu.
- Bilbo-Eat-insDiner42Dined on 7/11/2014Food was excellent, décor was what you would expect in a pub style restaurant. Only complaint was our waiter wasn't very good. Couldn't get the order right, didn't know about the food was slow. Gave bread but no butter and I asked for butter on three occasions. FInally had to ask a different server to bring me butter.Special Features:
- Great Food, Questionable ServiceBrownBearDined on 7/11/2014Bilbo Baggins is an excellent little restaurant a few blocks off Kimg Street in the Old Town section of Alexandria. The menu is varied and the food excellent. There is a huge drink menu, and a very nice list of personal specialty pizzas. I've been there twice. The only bad thing I will say is that the service on the second trip was lacking. The waitress made us feel rushed when there were very few people in the restaurant, and did not thank us when we paid. I think this is an aberration, and would not let it deter you from trying this nice gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nit the sameOrchidVIPDined on 7/7/2014Although not a regular, we go here a couple of times a year. Both service and quality of food have declined. We had a 7:30 reservation on a Mon. night. Had to wait quit a few minutes before we were acknowledged and seated. Drinks were ordered quickly and served in reasonable amount of time. The salad was served at the same time as the entree, which seemed to take over 15 minutes. The salad was WAY overpriced, $13, for large leaves of greens and a lot of candied walnuts swimming in rasperry vinagrette. Needless to say, we will probably not be returning.Special Features:
- Will not return. Waste of moneyReturntoAlexVADined on 7/5/2014We returned to Bilbo Baggins for a special occasion after a 25+ year hiatus. It was great years ago. We were seated in a tight corner booth in an empty area, while there were lights, nice tables and people in the front of the top floor. I had even made a reservation! The server was non-communicative and did not check on our table. Empty beer glasses, no bread (and when asked for some she seemed surprised and did not bring more when asked). Would not make eye contact. Specials looked good on the menu. We expected fresh. It was served SO fast, it was obvious that it was prepared ahead, including my swordfish which appeared to have been reheated and a bit tough. The prices for beer are high but good selections. Would only recommend bar.
- Great PizzaMyliecatDined on 7/5/2014First time to the restaurant. Pizza was excellent. Very good service. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyableMarsDinosaurDined on 6/30/2014We went during happy hour on a weeknight. 1/2 price pizzas. It was great and our server was awesome. He even told us what NOT to get (as in, don't waste your time on that, it's not as good as other things and you can get it better somewhere else). That's service! The pizzas were great and to us FAST! It was a light crowd and we really enjoyed it. We initially went in b/c of the name (hubby is a LOTR fan) but would go back on its own merit!Special Features:
- Good food, nice atmosphereDogWalkerFCDined on 6/25/2014I took my friend here for her birthday. We enjoyed a very nice casual dinner. She had good wine, I had great beer. The Bilbo Pizza was delicious; she enjoyed her cinnamon pork chop. Good, friendly, unobtrusive service.Special Features:
- The following 840 reviews are from the Bilbo Baggins reviews archive.
- Great food!fun4brunchDined on 6/22/2014We found this restaurant online while searching for a Sunday brunch menu in Alexandria. The name itself was intriguing, and the menu items and descriptions looked and sounded very tasty and were also reasonably priced. The brunch atmosphere was a bit crowded and loud, but we were seated quickly. We did the online reservation, but I think we would have been fine without it. Our server was pleasant, but seemed a bit inattentive at times, although we got our food pretty quickly and everything tasted great! We would definitely go back and would recommend this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't judge a book by it,s cover!travelguruDined on 6/16/2014From the outside it doesn't look like anything special. Inside looks like a typical pub with stools around tables, tv's playing the World Cup game, and a large bar area. Where it shines is the food. The veal scallopini and weiner schnitzel were great. The selection was diverse, something for everyone. The service was a tad slow and not real energetic. If you want some great food in a relaxed-casual atmosphere, Bilbo's is for you. If you are looking for a nice place to bring your honey for quiet, ambiance, & atmosphere, you might want to go somewhere else. It was what I was looking for that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAS63Dined on 6/15/2014I brought my father for Father's Day dinner. We sat upstairs, which was neither crowded nor empty. The service was good. My father Enjoyed his dinner (swordfish). I got the vegetarian plate, which had a very nice collection of vegetables + polenta. The only problem was that some of the items, especially the spinach and mashed potatoes, were way too salty. The raisin bread that came before the meal seemed totally homemade, just like I used to make in my bread-making days - dense, chewy and delicious...apart from being somewhat salty. If the kitchen would back off on the salt (you can always add at the table, but you can't remove it), I would add a star to my review. We had an enjoyable evening, but I'm not sure I would go back.