208 Queen Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bilbobaggins.net/
- Phone: (703) 683-0300
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: (limited menu) 11:30am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Lite fare: Saturday & Sunday: 2:30pm - dinner begins; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Armellino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Bilbo Baggins Restaurant offers off-site catering. Please call Michael Armellino @ (703) 683-0300 for more information
- Cross Street: Fairfax & Lee Streets
- Public Transit: The Dash bus has 2 stops on Fairfax Street near the intersection of Queen St. The restaurant is located on Queen St. between Fairfax and Lee Streets. There are 2 metro stops in Alexandria that will get you within 15-17 blocks of the restaurant. The metro stops are King St. or Braddock Road. From there its just a quick cab ride or nice walk.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available evenings and weekends in the private parking lot directly across the street from the restaurant. There is an attendant. The fee is currently $4. For lunch dining Monday through Friday, there are public lots located near the restaurant and street parking.
A word from Bilbo Baggins
A casual local restaurant & pub with tasty food, unusual wines & beers from around the world, and friendly service. The green dragon pub sports 12 beers on tap with over 100 bottles from which to choose. Wines are offered by the glass or bottle with a full bar that offers unusual martinis as well as other libations. A fire place and 4 HDTVs add to the experience. Upstairs, guests find cozy tables located within 3 dining room areas. All menu selections are offered both in the pub and dining rooms. Experience a tantalizing tapas menu with a selection of cheeses, fire cracker shrimp and fresh calamari just to name a few. Visit us for lunch or dinner 7 days a week. Join us for a spectacular Sunday brunch which includes Frodo's french toast made from our homemade cracked wheat & raisin bread, a variety of omelets as well as other delicious brunch & lunch items. Located in Old Town Alexandria just 2 blocks from the river on Queen Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bilbo Baggins reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (26)fit for foodies (21)notable wine list (17)great for lunch (14)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (11)great for brunch (7)special occasion (6)romantic (6)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Very glad we went!meanderDined on 11/21/2014We spontaneously met friends at Bilbo Baggins and all of us were very happy we decided to revisit this spot. What I like most is the friendly ambiance - it's a very cozy place on a cold wintry night. The twinkle lights outside are so welcoming! The beer list puts my husband into a near paralysis, the choices are unbelievable - better than Belgium ~he just can't choose! And luckily you can order a set of beers, like a tasting, and he was so happy to try four new beers, and then he could choose one as a follow up to the four mini-glasses. The food was surprisingly good. I had a thick pork chop that was well spiced and tender, atop lovely mashed potatoes accompanied by a side of tasty spinach infused with garlic. My friend had another kind of pork loin that was gingery and quite lovely. Her husband had veal scaloppini medallions prepared in a tasty sauce. My husband had the shrimp mushroom risotto that was rich and very flavorful. The waiter was attentive but not invasive - he gave us time and advice. It was a convivial night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising findTobyonekenobieDined on 11/20/2014So we are visiting DC and we're looking for something different. Being Hobbit fans the name caught are attention and the description of eclectic food and extensive beer and wine selections was just up our alley. When we walked in we thought quaint but maybe we had made a mistake. My wife commented on how small the tables and chairs were. Trying to make light of it, I told her it was in keeping with the theme. The menu was not extensive but very global. The beer list is extensive but we were in the mood for wine. The wine list has probably 50 or 60 wines with only one or two of which I was familiar. Asking the waiter for a recommendation was not much help so I selected the Marques de Grinon petit Verdot from Spain. Surprisingly good but a little drier for my palate. We shared the calamari which comes with a Thai chili sauce and another sauce i can't remember. Best calamari I've ever had...melted in the mouth. My wife had the four cheese pizza with garlic...delicious but the crust could have been a little crisper. I had the lamb chops with a butternut squash and asparagus. It also had a garlic something paste to put on the chop which was quite tasty. The lamb was perfectly cooked and the mix of flavors was wonderful. Lucky for me it also complimented the wine. The wait staff was attentive but not annoying. Definitely would return next time I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad. .. just badbillDined on 11/18/2014I had the pork chops and they were god-awful. Real bad. Wife had weiner schnitzel and it was okay. Downstairs is now just high table bar seating. No one there for a reason, not going back.
- Great food, great beerRobbDined on 11/15/2014My service was a little messed up this last time I went, they accidentally sat half my party at one table and half at another, but mistakes happen and every other time I've been here the service has been great. Everything on the menu is good, the beer list is enormous, and the staff is pretty good about accommodating groups. If you just want a couple of drinks, the Green Dragon is nice, if a little cozy at times. Overall great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so..PeterDined on 11/15/2014Overall unremarkable but acceptable for the price point.
- Inedible FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014The menu was very limited. The food was terrible. We couldn't even eat it.Special Features:
- brunchArtistsDayOutDined on 11/9/2014We recently had Brunch at Bilbo Baggins and enjoyed it thoroughly, there where six (5 adults and one teen) of us and we were seated at a tall table which was fun. There are a few tables which are not high up diners who do not do well sitting on a bar stool with a back should ask about those tables. Our meal started with house baked raisin bread and beignets which are both amazing, we asked for more beignets at least once if not twice. The coffee was very good as was the orange juice which arrived with ice which was perfect for those that ordered it since that is they way they like to drink it at home. All of the dishes we ordered were wonderful, and our waitress put up with our changes of mind and indecision with smiles and grace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little SpotHarryVIPDined on 10/31/2014Hidden treasure not far from the Potomac on Queen St. Went for a weekday lunch and it was all we'd expected and more. High comfy tables, good wine list, excellent menu and wonderful home made bread! We enjoyed the signs on the walls while sipping wine and waiting for lunch. Would recommend for lunch and will go back for Happy Hour!Special Features:
- do not goOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014I went to this place for its name sake. Didn't have high expectations but the food was inedible. I had the salmon crab cake Benedict. A bottle of turmeric must have fallen in the crab cake because it was frighteningly yellow and bitter. .. yes bitter. The bloody Mary was like drinking tobascoon the rocks. I will never go back. The server was nice enough but failed to ask how our dishes were or to bring some napkins I'd asked for. This place really puts is name to shame.
- Great Beer, Mediocre FoodPaperPillsDined on 10/24/2014Loved all the beer and wine choices, along with the overall ambiance/decor of this rustic Hobbit-inspired place. Lots of menu choices. Both seafood dishes we ordered were very fishy-tasting and just alright. Next time I'll try something more pub-style in nature - maybe the burgers, sandwiches, etc. are better than their entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two different choicesjcrawlerDined on 10/24/2014One nice thing about Bilbo's is that you have two very different scenes to choose from: the downstairs Green Dragon Pub is super lively if that's what you're looking for. If, on the other hand, you prefer more of a dining room atmosphere, then you can go upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- time conflictdiningfortwoDined on 10/19/2014This restaurant has three different times posted for when it opens on Sunday. So when we showed up at the time posted on the restaurant's website they weren't open. So unprofessional!
- Worth tryingProfx72Dined on 10/17/2014It's a strange, quirky kind of a place fit for a Hobbit. The decor is rustic and a little cramped, and the floors are off level. Don't go if you have an aversion to stairs. The food was pretty good, though, and the prices were comparable to an Outback or other mid-level restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better for brunch instead of dinnerAragronDined on 10/11/2014The brunch here is the way to go. Dinner tonight was disappointing as the brautwurst was over cooked and tasteless and the duck breast was fatty. The pizza was good and probably a safe bet. Lastly, beware of booths as ours was a bit tight for four adults.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bag BagginspalmettoDined on 10/11/2014Service was good. Waiter was attentive and pleasant . Unfortunately the food did not match the quality of the service. Cinnamon Pork chops were tough and fatty. Swordfish had a definite fishy after taste.
- Good food -work on serviceACDCDined on 10/8/2014The food was very good and priced accordingly. The restaurant had a nice ambiance to to it. Unfortunatly the service was slow and subpar. Since I was in no rush, it was okay, but this is an area the certainly need to improve on. I waited approximately 10 minutes before a server even acknowledged I was there and there was no host or hostess.Special Features:
- GREAT food experienceLoveGoodFoodDined on 10/4/2014We haven't been to Bilbo Baggins in years - and were happy to discover that they have NOT lost their touch with serving really fantastic food. All the entrees were great and the dessert was sublime. Such a treasure, this restaurant!!Special Features:
- Friday Date NightLuv2DineDined on 9/26/2014The wait staff was great! He was attentive, but did not hover. Water glasses refilled before they were empty, came by periodically to check if the table needed anything. Only issue that we had is our waiter was the only recommendations he offered were Spanish (guacamole, sangria etc) to not only our table but others he served as well. There were many German specials running for OktoberFest, but he did not suggest any. The food was good, not great. We both had an OktoberFest special, the spaetzel was under seasoned, absolutely no salt and tasteless, although cooked well. The Wiener Schnitzel and the chicken with mushroom sauce were both wonderful - flavorful, tender. We would go back to try more dishes.Special Features:
- PippinDined on 9/20/2014This place was a great find and well worth a special trip. I can't wait to go back! The food and bevs were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/18/2014We were brought us a basket of bread which was icy cold from the fridge. We had to ask for bread which was at least at room temperature. We were told us the daily specials, which included quiche lorraine. Waitress also informed us that she had one piece of crab quiche left. Can only assume it was from the previous day. I ordered the quiche lorraine, which arrived burnt on the bottom and sliced in half horizontally. Totally overcooked. The waitress reappeared 3/4 thru lunch. I showed her the quiche, asked her to show the kitchen, and she removed it from the table. She asked if I wanted to order something else, but since my party was almost done, i said no. When my check arrived I was charged for the quiche. Would not return.
- Bilbo Baggins redeuxOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014We have been to Bilbo several times but this past experience was not good. Only three of the four meals were delivered since there was confusion on the order between the server and the kitchen. Refills on drinks were slow and at times non-existent. I was very disappointed considering our past experiences.Special Features:
- Wonderful timeHighlandBeagleDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I met my sister and her family for dinner at Bilbo Baggins. We were led to the upstairs room and seated at a roomy table. The restaurant is quirky and cute but still has an Old Town feel. Food was excellent and our waiter could not have been more attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- Great service and ambiancePiratequeenDined on 8/31/2014Friendly, welcoming staff and great surroundings. Awesome draft and bottled craft beer list as well as an extensive wine list. Food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bilbo's ROCKSCourage6Dined on 8/30/2014Awesome beer list, great dining environment, great pizza & an unforgettable worldly beer list lead to an epic eating experience... We'll be back with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and DrinkSabresruleDined on 8/26/2014I took a client to BB for dinner to thank them for working with me. I heard about BB from a friend and went on line. The food was delicious, the website was spot on and the beer and wine selection was fantastic. I would recommend BB to anyone I know and look forward to returning the next time I am in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingsireatsalotDined on 8/23/2014I've been here for lunch and happy hour several times, and have loved the food and drinks. However, dinner was a different story. We both ordered from the specialty cocktail menu- Gandalf's New Fashion and some ice tea/whiskey concoction. Both were overly sweet and tasted like they forgot the liquor. As for the food- my date ordered the chicken penne and I had a seafood risotto. The chicken was undeniably rubbery, like it was pre-cooked a day or two ago and warmed up. The seafood in my risotto was horrible- definitely frozen, chewy, and lacking in flavor. The risotto was mushy and watery. All in all, we felt it was a waste of $70. We still love Bilbo's, but will keep it to happy hour and lunch from now on!Special Features:
- Salmon BLTOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014One of the best BLT's I've ever eaten and the fact that they had Ole Speckled Hen on nitro-draft made my day.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014I recommend gandalfs pie pizza. The Lord of the rings theme is very cute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!delish87Dined on 8/15/2014The food here is outstanding; I've been twice now, and both times was impressed with how tasty the dishes were. The bread on the table for dinner was a little heavy for my taste, but it was free so can't really complain there :) This place also has the longest beer list I've ever seen!Special Features:
- Great place.weekendwarriorsDined on 8/15/2014This place was great. The burgers were awesome and the service was fast and always with a smile. Will definitely be back on our next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Major MehDaveDined on 8/15/2014Flavors were good overvall but, leaving, no one wanted to return. Tomato bread was like an 80s flashback... which is when it seemed to have been made, dry and tough. My wife got a veggie plate of cold food with cold spots. It was warmed up on request but not hot. My fish wasn't fully cleaned, giving a nasty fishy taste. The soda cans were warm, though poured over ice, less of an issue. Sausage on pizza was severely over cooked (pre cooked?) and crispy. The service was very fast, efficient, and pleasant as the restaurant was a fifth full. The beer and wine lists are long and well priced for dining out but underwhelming. BBs is trading on it's former glory days and now it running on autopilot with no real hands on management.Special Features:
- Great find in AlexandriaBethDined on 8/10/2014Bilbo Baggins is a great place for a gourmet dinner. It has an extensive beer and wine list. The food was amazing and their bread is great. We have been going here for years. Try the lobster and shrimp bisque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bilbo Bagginsvisitorsfromthenorth2014Dined on 8/7/2014This was our first time in the Old Town section of Alexandria, and we enjoyed the meal at Bilbo Baggins. The restaurant seems more like a college style eatery than a family style restaurant, but everyone was friendly and the service was good. The food was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Craft Beer List!DiningDorsVIPDined on 7/31/2014Go, you won't be disappointed. Something for everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with BilbodmbechDined on 7/30/2014Location was nice, appearance from outside was quaint. Bar area downstairs was busy. Had an awkward wait to be seated as there wasn't anyone there to seat you. Food was good but service was slow. Waiter kept disappearing and wouldn't return for a while but we weren't in a hurry. Overall, was a pleasant experience with good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad home cooking.TravelGalDined on 7/27/2014Went with friends and ordered the Wiener schnitzel...it was like bad home cooking, definitely no finesse. Meat, spatzel and veggies had large amounts of butter dropped on top after cooking. This is the second time I've been here and the food was as bad as the first. Won't be returning.
- Bilbo Baggins Return trip a mustTravelingPalateVIPDined on 7/26/2014Tried the duck spring roll with ponzu sauce that had an unusual combination of flavors (meaty, crisp and citrusy) for the appetizer. Had a succulent duck breast with yukon gold and sweet potatoes; the light delicious but filling House Salad with apples, caramelized walnuts, feta and raspberry vinaigrette and a dried out cedar plank salmon with a delicious sauce. Deserts were fantastic: cappuccino cake and hawaiian delight with guava sorbet. Coming back for more.
- DCFanVIPDined on 7/25/2014First time there and the food was terrific....service was great......and a real neighborhood gem....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 850 reviews are from the Bilbo Baggins reviews archive.
- JulyinsaratogaDined on 7/24/2014my request for a quiet table in the rear was happily accommodatedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not great!BronxYankeeVIPDined on 7/12/2014It's a good restaurant. The food is USUALLY good and the service was very good considering how crowded it was.Special Features: