208 Queen Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bilbobaggins.net/
- Phone: (703) 683-0300
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: (limited menu) 11:30am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Lite fare: Saturday & Sunday: 2:30pm - dinner begins; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Armellino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Bilbo Baggins Restaurant offers off-site catering. Please call Michael Armellino @ (703) 683-0300 for more information
- Cross Street: Fairfax & Lee Streets
- Public Transit: The Dash bus has 2 stops on Fairfax Street near the intersection of Queen St. The restaurant is located on Queen St. between Fairfax and Lee Streets. There are 2 metro stops in Alexandria that will get you within 15-17 blocks of the restaurant. The metro stops are King St. or Braddock Road. From there its just a quick cab ride or nice walk.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available evenings and weekends in the private parking lot directly across the street from the restaurant. There is an attendant. The fee is currently $4. For lunch dining Monday through Friday, there are public lots located near the restaurant and street parking.
A word from Bilbo Baggins
A casual local restaurant & pub with tasty food, unusual wines & beers from around the world, and friendly service. The green dragon pub sports 12 beers on tap with over 100 bottles from which to choose. Wines are offered by the glass or bottle with a full bar that offers unusual martinis as well as other libations. A fire place and 4 HDTVs add to the experience. Upstairs, guests find cozy tables located within 3 dining room areas. All menu selections are offered both in the pub and dining rooms. Experience a tantalizing tapas menu with a selection of cheeses, fire cracker shrimp and fresh calamari just to name a few. Visit us for lunch or dinner 7 days a week. Join us for a spectacular Sunday brunch which includes Frodo's french toast made from our homemade cracked wheat & raisin bread, a variety of omelets as well as other delicious brunch & lunch items. Located in Old Town Alexandria just 2 blocks from the river on Queen Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bilbo Baggins reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (26)fit for foodies (21)notable wine list (17)great for lunch (14)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (11)great for brunch (7)special occasion (6)romantic (6)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Non eventVitoDined on 4/5/2014Took my son and his wife there for his birthday party. Arrived at 6:30 and two of the item ordered, they had run out of. When we ordered dessert, the waitress brought different ones from what we ordered saying they were out of what we originally ordered. Food was only fair. Would not go back.
- First time here for lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2014First time here for lunch. Excellent menu choices. Service was very, very good with an attentive and engaging waiter. Hostess offered us upstairs seating so we could talk as the bar was quite busy. Would definitely recommend place for lunch as well as dinner.Special Features:
- We were disappointed to findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014We were disappointed to find that out meal did not come with what the menu said. According to the menu our meal was to be accompanied with asparagus (one of the reasons the meal was chosen) and it came with spinach instead. We also had to take appetizer plates and silverware from another empty table. The food was delicious and their beer/wine list were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MaryDined on 3/31/2014My friend and I each enjoyed our entrees. The gnocchi, which can be very heavy when not done correctly, were very good. The cedar plank salmon was delicious on top of spinach and rice. We celebrated a birthday with the lime pie, which was also very tasty. We would definitely return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Awesome FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014My second time at Bilbo's. The food is equisite. The chef keeps his menu fresh with new entrees and seasonal cocktails. Brought my 17 and 19 son and daughter along. Even with thier finicky taste buds, they were raving over the food. A good time any time. Cant wait to visit for Brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodMore2DoDined on 3/24/2014The food is not as good as it used to be. It used to be a 4 Star, but is now only a low 3.Special Features:
- Always AwesomeTravelCoupleDined on 3/22/2014My wife and I have been coming to Alexandria, VA for the last 4 years. We come often during baseball season to see the Washington Nationals and to visit out son who lives in Washington, D.C. My wife is a huge Tolkien Fan and found this place doing a google search of restaurants in the Alexandria area. We consider this place our little gem. The food always amazing. The beer fantastic. A huge selection. The wine magnificent. The staff outstanding. This place never let's us down...always awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local restaurantKBCLCDCDined on 3/21/2014The beer list is the best in town and the food is always consistent. The bread is fresh and unique. You should avoid dessert there though. I have tried a few and they are usually frozen or have been frozen and it's apparent in the taste. It's a shame to end a good meal on a bad note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingShuggDined on 3/20/2014I took my sister here for her birthday, EVERYTHING that we tried was amazing! Great food and our waiter Fran was awesome as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good service andLillianDined on 3/18/2014Great food, good service and casual atomospnhere! Not for business meeting unless it's casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodkMaNVIPDined on 3/15/2014The ambiance is always good. Service & food are always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. Chef createsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Excellent food. Chef creates unique plates with various flavors that mesh perfectly. Highly recommend the Filet and the Veal Scaloppini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfying journey to the shireRun2eatVIPDined on 3/15/2014Our second visit to Bilbo Baggins was as satisfying as our first last year. I had the seafood grill which was a large serving of scallops, shrimp, calamari, and fish that was tasty and not overcooked - it was still moist even though it was grilled - a plus! My wife had cheese stuffed chicken that she enjoyed as well. The servings were too much to eat for my wife and large for me as well. I also sampled the excellent selection of beer, settling on an Austrian pilsner at the recommendation of the server that was well suited for my tastes. Service was excellent even though there were only two waitresses for a full restaurant - they literally flew around the floor but did not hurry us for our meal. We highly recommend Bilbo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly goodUp2UDined on 3/1/2014We found Bilbo Baggins on a search engine and decided to give it a try. After posting on FB that we would be going, we received the thumbs up from many friends. The food was good and the atmosphere was nice. I wish the upstairs was as cozy as the downstairs and reflected more of the old world feel as opposed to brightly painted walls that didn't fit the expected feel of a pub. So if you want that "pub" feel ~ be sure that you are seated on the lower level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting..celticmusicloverDined on 2/26/2014We dedcided to try something different and that's what we got. The server was nice but not great she seemed a bit disinterested in being there. The food; we ordered three dishes and I tried two. The duck was great but a bit fatty, the lamk was dry though my friend loved it. Just goes to show no one has the same opinion. My other friend loved her gnocchi. We ordered mixed drinks which were horrible and when we mentioned it all we got is we are trying new drinks not we'll take it off the bill or we'll make something else. We didn't even drink half. I was disappointed in that. I did love the feel and calmness to the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service was not so good. theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2014service was not so good. the server did not know what was on the menu and what we should try
- Nice Date nightmortDined on 2/21/2014We ate upstairs, early and basically by ourselves for most of our meal. The server was polite, knowledgeable and attentive. The menu was pretty expansive and our food arrived as advertised and was hot and delicious. Not my choice for many occassions but the place had decent ambiance, good beer and wine selections and well prepared foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Family FavoriteAnneDined on 2/16/2014My teenagers love this place. Their brunch menu has variety to make our whole family happy, and the food is fresh, tasty, and plentiful. My son enjoyed the Reuben sandwich very much and we all thought the beignets rivaled the ones we had in New Orleans. Though not a "kids'" restaurant by any means, we did not feel uncomfortable with the varied crowd. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Desserts!MinaDined on 2/9/2014I received a gift certificate for this restaurant. My fiance and I made a reservation for Sunday. We were seated immediately in the upstairs dining room. The room was comfortable and much quieter than the pub atmosphere downstairs. The food was great and the desserts were amazing. I had the Coconut Creme Brulee and my fiance had the Cappuccino Mousse Tort. The service was great. The only Con I can think of is that we were unaware that they only serve Brunch on Sundays. They do not have their lunch or dinner menus available at all on Sundays and that was not made clear on their website. We both went there wanting to try one of their pasta dishes but were unable to because it was Sunday.Special Features:
- What's the rush?MargBargDined on 2/8/2014Our server couldn't have been more abrupt nor could have rushed us out faster. My husband and I were having dinner with another couple whom we haven't seen in quite a while. We wanted to have a nice, leisurely dinner ( and there were plenty of open tables), and had just received our drinks when we got our entrees. She hovered to take our plates the minute we'd finished ( a big pet peeve of mine), then immediately brought our bill without offering dessert or coffee. As we were saying goodbye to our friends out front as we were leaving, our server blew by us in a clear hurry, with her hat and coat on, obviously going to a far more important engagement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in Old Town Alexandria!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/7/2014This was our second visit to Bilbo Baggins and it was great! The food was excellent as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the experienceJimSDined on 2/1/2014Restaurant wasn't too crowded, nice and quiet, food was delicious, and staff were very pleasantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You need the "ring" to surviveGandolfDined on 2/1/2014First time dinners - table for four... They sat us in a room with two very noisy large parties... The service provided by the waitress was marginal as she spent more time attending to the parties... Thre of the four dinners were considered marginal. The salmon entree was over battered and the salmon did not taste like any salmon we had before. The tuna entree had no taste! We each shared a sample of our selections since we were trying to evaluate the Bilbo Baggins resturant as a possible venue for our friends, visitors and clients.
- Pretty Good ExperienceGknox01Dined on 1/26/2014The homey environment was welcoming. The food was very good. The I was happy to see families there in large parties. I did not like the seat next to the kitchen, but overall, our server was attentive and the food was promptly delivered. When I return, it will be with guests and family.Special Features:
- Restaurant week menuDonnaDined on 1/26/2014The food presentation was amazing and the taste was to die for. The staff were a bit on the slow side, but the meal came quickly once our order was placed. The waiter was not familiar with the Alexandria week menu which was a bit disappointing. The bread pudding came highly recommended by the waiter but our party of three found it a disappointment.....it was more chunks of dense bread with a Carmel sauce vice a bread pudding, the flavor was good.Special Features:
- Good food, good timeCoffeyBeanDined on 1/25/2014I arranged for a dinner date with two other couples and chose Bilbo Baggins; it was restaurant week (RW) also. However, I'm a little disappointed with their restaurant week selection, one appetizer, three dinner entrees and any desert on the menu. We had a good time and ended up not ordering anything off the RW menu. There menu of beers is very impressive. It wasn't crowded at all, but maybe it's because it was so cold no one wanted to go out. I had beef tenderloin over mashed potatoes and really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent beer menuOldTownDinerDined on 1/24/2014For any beer snobs out there, Bilbo Baggins has a great beer menu, with one of your traditionalist on tap. Flights are also available, allowing you to try them all if you choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unexpected surpriseNewfoundjoyeDined on 1/24/2014I'd never heard of Bilbo Baggins before, but the name was interesting enough to draw me in. They have a very broad menu with lots of offerings. I'm not into beer/wine much, but they have quite a lot on hand. If you want a nice place to eat dinner, I would consider stopping by. Their portion sizes are generous and quite experimental.Special Features:
- Great place for a simple mealcapfan31Dined on 1/20/2014I was lucky enough to go to this location during restruant week in Old Town. While their restraunt week menu was less enticing, their main menu offered plenty to choose from. Their beer and wine menus are very large with several different options. Service was a bit slow when we arrived, but during out meal we mainly wanted to catch up with some friends so we never felt pressured to order or pay the check. I will be returning again. Great place.Special Features:
- a little overpricedAnonymousDined on 1/19/2014Enjoyed my experience, but felt the prices were a bit too high considering the atmosphere and food. Beer/wine/mead list was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer Joint in DisguisePenneVIPDined on 1/17/2014First timers. Not what was expected. If you want to choose from a hundred beers this is your place. Lost on one of us who does not like beer. The food is good with more than ample portions. The seafood risotto is better than average but with a bit of tweaking could be really excellent by chopping the scallops, shrimp, large mushrooms and asparagus and mixing them with the risotto. A waffle, ice cream, whipped cream and blueberry dessert was both bizarre and huge. The ingredients did not go together and two of us could not finish it. The bread with the meal is baked in house and was the best we have ever found in Alexandria. BB is worth another try for us since we have a better idea of how to navigate the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experience againOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/12/2014This was my 3rd time in 6 1/2 years giving this restaurant a chance & they failed again. Upon arriving, it took 4 1/2 minutes to be greeted even though workers were around and could have said that someone would be right with us. We were seated at a table upstairs where the dust was easily visible on the high chair rail. Our server lacked knowledge about the menu including telling us the portion was larger on the french toast than the pancakes. (One thick toast slice vs. 3 thick, fluffy pancakes--there was no comparison) Food wasn't good (not enough room to describe it here) especially the held over scrambled eggs. Our server never checked on us after our food was delivered until she brought the check despite empty glasses. Fair at best.
- TerriblepoppyDined on 1/11/2014Food is terrible and way over priced. Seafood was from frozen and over cooked. The chicken tasted like it was cooked a few days ago and then recooked again then served to my date. The wine my date had tasted like wine with old lady flowery perfume added to it. My margarita was good but overpriced. Avoid this place or you will feel ripped off also.
- NYE at Bilbo Bagginsfooddude2013Dined on 12/31/2013Had a great New Year's Eve dinner at Bilbo Baggins! Despite a packed house and people waiting to be seated, we were escorted to our table of 6 right on time. This is a quirky neighborhood place a few blocks from Old Town Alexandria, and it was rocking on NYE. Menu was eclectic, and food preparation was excellent - surprisingly good... Huge beer list and friendly staff, too. We had a blast, then hit the streets for First Night Alexandria. Will go back, for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Realizing it was a busy night,hobbitualDined on 12/31/2013Realizing it was a busy night, New year's eve, the waitress seemed overwhelmed. I was actually prepared for that, however, I wasn't prepared for getting another servers attention and still not getting any help. I did really enjoy the ambience and the food. I will go back on a not so busy night, to give the restaurant another try since this was my first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early dinner on NYEOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/31/2013Food was very good but the service left a lot to be desired. It took a while for the server to greet us after we were seated. Dinner came quickly after we ordered but then we hardly saw our server after the food arrived. It took well over a half an hour to get the bill after we finished eating.Special Features:
- Not the place to show off on NYE!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013I have been to Bilbo Baggins many times over the last 5 years. It was the first restaurant in Old Towne that I went to when I first moved to the area. My favorite dish is the Grilled Seafood platter. It is delicious! On New Years Eve, I wanted to take some friends there having raved about the place. We had no problem making a reservation thanks to OpenTable. However, when we got there and sat down we were handed a limited New Years Eve menu. My favorite dish was not on there. Instead there were all these fancy dishes that cost twice as much. I ended up getting the duck, and although not terrible, not what I was looking for either. It was very fatty and more expensive with less food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PlaceHeadyDCDined on 12/31/2013Love how the tables (in the bar) are high - hobbit servers are small. Food was ok, drinks advertised on the website not available, but SO MANY beers - great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waitress was sweet butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013The waitress was sweet but didn't understand English very well. So she brought the appetizers at the same time as the meal so the table was too crowded. But the food was delicious. We also asked for separate bills and she brought the bill out on one ticket so we had to ask her to do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- misleading namelizmckDined on 12/30/2013Disappointed after driving into Alexandria for this destination dinner. The building is cute and the owners are missing out on creating a great place. It is filled with random junk - almost none of which has anything to do with Bilbo Baggins. Food and drinks are over priced and okay. Sodas come in cans so no refills for my teenage kids. Wouldn't go back or recommend it to anyone.Special Features: