Bijou French Bistro
1205 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bijou French Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bijoufrenchbistro.com/
- Phone: (858) 750-3695
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily, 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Wine Bar: Daily, 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Lounge: Friday - Saturday, 5:30 pm - 11:30 pm
Live Music in the Lounge: Friday - Saturday, 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Shaun Gethin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live Music: Thursday - Saturday, 7:00 pm - 11:00 pm
A word from Bijou French Bistro
There's passion in every bite at Bijou French Bistro, where seasonal ingredients rendezvous with bistro favorites for delectable French without the formality - from the creators of Addison. Be the first to experience the new jewel of Prospect Street - straight from the city of love to the heart of downtown La Jolla.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bijou French Bistro - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Bijou French Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)special occasion (74)romantic (63)neighborhood gem (62)notable wine list (43)good for groups (33)hot spot (25)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Still great!yesandnoDined on 11/26/2014I went back to Bijou after a couple of months and I was happy to find out that it is still the best food in town. Service is great and not too intrusive, among the new items on the menu I tried the Loup De Mer and the Escargot and they were both amazing. pot de creme at the end is the best dessert in town, you have to try it!!! I am glad they are doing well, if you are a foodie, you have to try Bijou...you will be back too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent French experienceMariannDined on 11/22/2014We were blown away by the atmosphere, amazing food and attentiveness of the staff. Not knowing a lot about french dining we were concerned but intrigued with what foods might be served. It was delicious. Everything from the first course to dessert was better than we could have imagined. The bar featured an amazing jazz band.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014Greta to have a top class restaurant in la Jolla. Excellent service, pleasant surroundings, low noise level and an interesting menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where has this place beenTomrlyDined on 11/20/2014This is a true french classic, food and service outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Bistro in town!SltplsVIPDined on 11/18/2014We love this place, we have been here at least dozen timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialFoodieVIPDined on 11/15/2014Pate' was terrible; gnocchi was ok. Veal was poor... Chicken was the best dish but nothing to go back for. The caramel dessert was wonderful. The bar area seemed busy... Might be worth checking it out for drinks only
- Worth the TripsilverfoxgourmetDined on 11/15/2014This was my second time to Bijou. It was even better than the first time. Food is superb, wait staff very knowledgable about each dish and the wine selections. Very friendly place with great ambiance. Highly recommended for that special occasion or if you just want a nice relaxing place to enjoy a great meal with superb wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal beyond wordsolivemDined on 11/7/2014I insisted we go for my birthday because I have heard such great things, and I'm so happy we did. We began with the 'Deufs Mayonaise', the creamy mayonaise sauce leftover was perfect to sweep up with the warm baguettes. The 'Sweet Gem Lettuce' and 'Coq au vin' followed and I'm a sucker for any meat braised in wine, paired with our cabernet sauvignon, perfect. Our next course, the raw foods, may have been my favorite. We shared the ' Steak Tartare' and the 'Salmon Rillettes' and I was in heaven. The salmon, so creamy and perfect we were fighting for the last bites within seconds! Once we thought it couldn't get better the 'Gnocchi À La Parisienne' arrived. Working in Italian restaurants I am no stranger to gnocchi, however, the chef at Bijou had me in love; it was crunchy/toasted gnocchi in a sweet noisette sauce - unlike ANYTHING I have ever had, and amazing in every way. I can't decide which is my favorite - salmon or gnocchi. After my delicious encounter we decided for the 'Macaroni Gratin', beautiful, and I typically don't enjoy macaroni from restaurants (and it happened to be the one dish I insisted on saving to bring a little home). Finally we ordered some cheeses (I believe the goat [Tomette] and possibly the pastoral which were the perfect combination of creamy (yet sturdy - not like a brie) and possessing those enticing cheesy aromas. Polishing off the last of the cheese our 'Crème Brûlée' arrived. Never having tried a creme brulee with hints of orange before I felt like my life had been missing out. Everything was so perfect and filling for my birthday and I couldn't have asked for anything better. And with this excellent food came exquisite service. Unfortunately, I don't remember our waiters name, but he made the experience that much better. Perfect, clean, precise, also kind, charming and very helpful. Thank you everyone, all staff and workers for making my birthday and our experience phenomenal to say the least :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LiketodineLiketodineDined on 11/7/2014We had out of town guests and took them to Bijou. Even though the restaurant was very busy, we felt like the only guests there. The food was fantastic. We had a wonderful fig salad, pâté, veal, gnocchi and fabulous new dessert. I can't wait to go back again and try new items on the menu. The service was stellar, from the matre de to the server to the chef (who came out to check on us). You won't be disappointed with this classic French spot.Special Features:
- Terrible food experience.GourmetDined on 11/3/2014Out of 4 people, 4 thought the food was terrible, all our dishes (onion soup, veal paillard, steak fritte, grilled lobster) were extremely salty. We didn't dare to order desserts, just in case, they were salty too. This restaurant is not worth a visit, unless you don't care to eat badly.
- Perfection all around!SimODined on 11/2/2014Best restaurant in San Diego! Great service and AMAZING food! We had the Escargot en Croute and the Oeufs Mayonnaise to start, our main course was the Veal Paillard and the Loup De Mer! Absolutely fantastic. We finished with a cheese plate and 2 glasses of Souternes. Unforgettable experience, we are looking forward to go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good bistrofenwayDined on 11/2/2014We dined as a group of 6 on a Sunday evening. The food was good. Several people ordered multiple appetizers in lieu of an entrée. The server was very friendly, while professional. In that I was ordering a heavy main course, I opted to pass on an appetizer. The kitchen sent one to me gratis as my fellow diners all were receiving appetizers. Quite thoughtful. The wine list is rather pricey for the quality of the wines, but if you are willing to spend a good deal, there are fine wines. I would give the food a B+/A-.
- Cannot say enough about Bijou!MeganSDDined on 10/23/2014From the moment we walked in it was first class service! We were greeted by the hosts and the General Manager, Alessio Marini. The interior of the restaurant is so beautiful! Our server, Robert was exceptionally attentive. We started with the Oefs Mayonnaise, which are rich and creamy! You cannot miss the Steak Tartare! The endive salad was perfectly balanced with beets and creamy blue cheese. Entrees were the Veal Paillard and a Sea bass dish with ratatouille. Spectacular! Chef Shaun Gethin deserves great praise and even came to our table to see how we were enjoying our dinner! We tasted the Creme Brûlée and the Pot de Creme and I was so glad we did! Bijou is a gem! I honestly cannot wait to go back! Thank you Bijou for an amazing evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedEnzoSDined on 10/22/2014I must say this place is a scam. 2 plates each (2guests)and a glass of wine for $175. I'm okay paying that kind of $ at Amaya or Addison where the food is great, has taste and provide extraordinary service. Here Escargots were bland, the steak was greasy, the fish plate was somewhat ok (small). The best plate was the lobster. Gotta say this was my first and last visit to Bijou.
- Magnificent(can't spell in French)!revfrsdsDined on 10/22/2014Word fail me, but I'll try. Outstanding service! Remarkable selections! Tremendous food! Stupendous attention to detail! Did I mention how good the food was? In short, nothing less than completely magnificent. One of my guest lived in S. France for a few years and said this was as good as anything there. In fact, she pronounced her dessert the absolute BEST she had ever had in her whole life! I rank the Bijou right along side The Marine Room, and the Sky Room as La Jolla "musts!" Sadly, the Sky Room is no more, but now there is something just as good right across the street. Do yourself a huge favor and dine at the Bijou someday soon! You won't regret it!Special Features:
- Gets Better Everytime!Sgl2319VIPDined on 10/16/2014Each time I dine here the food gets better and better! The Chefs are always adding to the menu and changing the presentation of food! The service is always outstanding-they truly care about you and what you enjoy to eat, drink and taste! Bijou is the perfect vibe for anything from a special occasion to a dinner out in town to a glass if wine at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteBonneVivanteVIPDined on 10/13/2014Over-the-top, simply stellar-sumptuous experience. We had the French onion soup and the coq-au-vin. At last ... true French cuisine! We're tired of the "California" French light fare. The service was excellent. We are grateful for a lovely experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014no expenses spared in setting up this place to be in elegant French style. one of the very best restaurants for food quality in La Jolla.Special Features:
- Paris in La JollaJoyinfoodVIPDined on 10/9/2014While the menu is brief, every item we tried was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed dinerLovegoodfoodDined on 10/5/2014We love the food at Addison and Amaya, and were expecting the same of the food at Bijou. We were there with 2 other couples, and we all agreed that the quality of the food was not up to the same level. The menu is somewhat limited, so they should be able to execute each dish well. Prices are rather high. It is an elegant and beautiful restaurant, and the live piano music was nice. Unfortunately that is not enough to bring us back.Special Features:
- Best Bistro in TownSltplsVIPDined on 10/4/2014The food and the service continue to get better and better with each visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic DiningBigdinnerDined on 10/1/2014Great dining atmosphere, good service, limited menu if you do not eat sea foodSpecial Features:
- A new little gemUnicornFoodieDined on 9/28/2014I have come here a few times now and and for good reason! The service ans staff are awesome and I love the Oeufs Mayonnaise which is something I would never try but love! Love the sea bass as well, and my ultimate favorite is the dessert, the Pot de Crème melts in your mouth! It's a great place to get dinner with some friends or a cute little date night, or just to grab a couple glasses of wine at the bar with maybe some dessert :) all in all I am happy to have a new little Gem of a place to add to my list of favorite places to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quiet on a Sunday eveningcomposerVIPDined on 9/28/2014Delicious handcrafted food. The deviled eggs appetizer had such a tasty sauce I mopped it up with the complimentary olive mini baguette. Don't miss the macarons for dessert if you love chocolateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great againSltplsVIPDined on 9/28/2014This place just keeps getting better Another great meal every dish we have had has been better than the one beforeSpecial Features:
- french as can beOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014Oysters, Steak Tartare, French Onion Soup, Veal, Steak Frites, Nicoise Salad, Salmon Rillette, Trout, Macaroni / Ham, Pot de Creme, Fruit Tarte, Beignes and ON and ON. Check out the wine list and we love the new Bar at Bijou.Special Features:
- TerribleAlphonseDined on 9/27/2014The place is terrible. The service is bad, the menu is poor, and the food is disgusting. Even the presentation of the dishes is bad. My advise: Stay away.
- Worth a visit.ls92101Dined on 9/26/2014I enjoyed the jazz playing in the lounge/bar area. Drinks were good and food was delicious.Special Features:
- WOW! It was great!barbaraVIPDined on 9/26/2014Excellent ambiance, greeters very personable, food outstanding. Staff goes out of their way to please and do whatever they can to make their customers feel welcome and special. Thank you for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Over rated and over chargedFood4thoughtDined on 9/26/2014Food from regular menu was very good but new additions that were added for restaurant week awful and had to be returned. The fig and heirloom salads were excellent. Service was superb.Special Features:
- GemSunshineDined on 9/26/2014Fantastic service combined with wonderful food makes Bijou a gem. Our waiter was attentive and fun and the food was true to French Bistro style. Chicken Fricasse was mouth wateringly perfect. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findM2centsDined on 9/25/2014We were there for the first time during SD Restaurant week and we had an incredible dining experience! My husband and I were slight underdressed for the restaurant ambient but the staff were so hospitable and friendly and made us feel like honor guests. The restaurant decor feel very warm and elegant and the music was at the perfect level for intimate conversations. The foods were delicious and everything tasted so fresh and light. We left feeling relaxing and fulfill. It was a great doing experience and we will definitely return for the full menu options.Special Features:
- What was this place called before?PattyVIPDined on 9/25/2014Whatever it was, it was very good! Even for restaurant week, they managed to maintain production of high quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!DowntowndinerVIPDined on 9/21/2014We have been looking forward to trying Bijou and went on the first night of Restaurant week - disappointed that they were only offering the restaurant week special and we were not able to order from their regular menu. However, the selections offered were great and we will definitely be back to try the full menu!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2014We went there for restaurant week. We have been going to restaurant week for several years, this is the first restaurant that do not have anything else available outside the fixed menu. They also initially insisted on my 6 year old ordering from the same $45 three course menu and after talking to the chef, we were able to order just the entree. The food was good, not exceptional. Probably will not go there again since there are so many good restaurants around.
- Awesome!UnicornFoodieDined on 9/16/2014If your a food lover, this is a must on your list of restaurant to try! With everything on the menu made in house, you would be silly not to treat yourself! Delisious food, an tastey wine selection, great service, and all just in the heart of downtown La Jolla! Both the GM Alessio Marini and Chef William Bradley have done an amazing job bringing California a little taste of France.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little taste of FranceTwinDined on 9/16/2014Was taken by a girlfriend and had a lovely time! The food was simply amazing, the ambiance was quiet and intimate and I just loved the piano player! You must try the vast array of cheeses, the sea bass and some of the best Gnocchi I have ever had! And just when you think it can't get any better, we have desert. A must have- The Crème Brûlée and the Pot De Crème. An overall wonderful experience with service that makes you feel like royalty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LiketodineLiketodineDined on 9/14/2014Another trip to Bijou and the food continues to amaze me. Ordered the veal, so tender and delicious. In addition, the gem salad was excellent. Each time I've dined there the service has been exceptional. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Such a great addition to the area.Special Features:
- Incredible foodElsed5Dined on 9/12/2014Fantastic dining experience. The Oeufs, Salmon Rillette, Tarte Flambe, and the gnocchi are a must try, and the pot de creme cannot be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience.ORD84Dined on 9/12/2014Everything was wonderful. The staff was attentive but not overbearing and the food was incredible. We tried about 6 different items and they were all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.