1287 First St
Sarasota, FL 34236Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bijoucafe.net/
- Phone: 941-366-8111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jean-Pierre Knaggs
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have 2 separate private dining rooms. The Bird Room seats up to 30 guests and is fully AV equipped. The Patio Room seats up to 40 and has access to a private outdoor area with fountain.
- Private Party Contact: Karen Thomson 9413668111
- Cross Street: Pineapple Ave
- Public Transit: We are 2 blocks west of the main bus terminal.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We offer valet parking every day at lunch and every evening during the peak season. We have a private, well lit parking lot across the street and there is plenty of on street parking as well
A word from Bijou Cafe
The Bijou Café, located in the heart of Sarasota’s prestigious Theatre & Arts District since 1986, is one of Florida’s best known restaurants. Chef-owner, Jean-Pierre Knaggs and wife Shay, welcome guests with genuine hospitality and unparalleled service. Chef Knaggs, renowned for his sophisticated innovative cuisine, brings a passion for cooking to breath-taking new heights! For more casual fare The Bijou Cafe offers a lighter Bar Bites Menu in the “Gossips Lounge”, or outside on the Patio, the place to be for seasonal al fresco dining. An award winning, value based wine list and a dazzling collection of imaginative cocktails fulfill even the most ardent imbiber’s desires!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Bijou Cafe - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Bijou Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (90)fit for foodies (68)romantic (61)neighborhood gem (47)great for lunch (34)notable wine list (26)good for groups (11)great for outdoor dining (8)great for brunch (6)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- wonderful lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/18/2014food well prepared, service excellent, we were sitted in lounge area that with all of the galss windows was somewhat warm as it was a sunny Florida day. Will return and ask for the main dining roomSpecial Features:
- Good food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014We will be back. The food it is delicious and originalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014We celebrated our 12th Anniversary at Bijou since it was the restaurant of choice the evening of our wedding. Even though we have eaten here many times over the last 22 years as residents of Sarasota the charm of this restaurant remains consistent. Great service, excellent food and a quiet environment. A gem during the non-tourist season. Thanks to all for a great evening.Special Features:
- Bijou CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Bijou Cafe is a small downtown Sarasota restaurant that has very good lunch and dinner menus, along with a fine wine list. 7:00 pm on Saturday night, was filled to capacity. $50 - $75, per person, entree, salad, dessert. Wine bottle, $30 - $70Special Features:
- excellentBertVIPDined on 9/11/2014Our favorite restaurant in this locale. Food always wonderful.Special Features:
- Yes, it is a gem.out2munchDined on 9/10/2014To begin with, a surprise. Without a word, we were promptly seated in a quiet corner. They had actually read our special request on the Open Table reservation! Next, although usually a seafood person, I ordered the braised beef short ribs, currently on the Savor Sarasota menu. They were amazing, perfectly seasoned, and cut-with-a-fork. The beet, arugula and goat cheese salad was a nice opener, and the dessert, which we often skip, was here included, a delicious assortment of fresh berries with cream. The service was excellent, and we made up for our specially priced meal by ordering a great bottle of Guigal Gigondas, recommended by our waiter. A total treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We go there yearly for my birthday. The food as well as the service is outstanding...food arrives on hot plates...can not beat that...presentation delightful...found close by parking ...can. Walk around downtown Sarasota ..beautiful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence every time!Bara2Dined on 9/6/2014Saturday night's dinner experience was superb! We were greeted at the door immediately, seated at a lovely table at once and from then on the evening was delightful. The food was extraordinary which is no surprise to me. I've been going to the Bijou for over 20 years and have never been disappointed. Going there is always a complete pleasure!Special Features:
- visitorvisitorDined on 9/5/2014Food, attention to detail and service wonderful as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticConnieDined on 9/5/2014We brought our friends who were celebrating their recent marriage. I asked for a nice table and was given a wonderful private table in the rear. Food and service were excellent. I enjoy personable service and we got it. My firiends enjoyed the candelabra brought to the table and we got some great pictures with it. We will be back for sure.!Special Features:
- Savoring SarasotaBandCDined on 9/4/2014We enjoyed the Savor Sarasota menu they were offering. And were certainly tempted to choose other items from their regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savor SarasotaAced13Dined on 8/30/2014Learned from our server Jim that this offer will be extended through the end of September. We enjoyed the duck, trout and shrimp dishes. Service was prompt and timely visits to see if all was okay. We were early at a six pm reservation, by the time we left not many tables were available. That in itself tells you something about this classy restaurant!Special Features:
- The Best!lalaDined on 8/29/2014Don't miss eating at the Bijou! The best in Sarasota!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for usnalaDined on 8/29/2014My husband and I went. We are new to Sarasota and the place looks very inviting from the outside. Sadly that quaint decor does not carry through to the inside which looks a bit like a Holiday Inn restaurant that hadn't been updated in twenty years. Not a place for foodies. The wait staff was very good however, very nice and quick to fill water glasses or wine. The food was pretty good if a tad rich and not particularly inspired - sorry, but steamed broccoli as a side?
- Wonderful as alwaysSDM1Dined on 8/23/2014This was the spot of our first date. Since then we have been back for the 1 year anniversary of that 1st date and most recently for our 1 year wedding anniversary. The food is always wonderful with new things to try and the service is always excellent.Special Features:
- Not Up to ParFrequntDinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014We dine at Bijou on a regular basis and generally find the experience extremely positive. Our last visit was not up to par. More often than not our main course is duck. This time the duck meat was somewhat dry on both our ducks. I used all of both sauces provided to counteract the dryness. Exacerbating the situation was the dressing. Some time ago Bijou changed their dressing recipe for the worse. This time it was even less tasty than its not very tasty usual. I don't understand why they changed the recipe but I hope others will also let them know it was a bad move.Special Features:
- goodfoodaddictDined on 8/21/2014The Bijou Café is consistently a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Bijou cafe - Downtown Sarasota, FLPuppersDined on 8/18/2014JP and Karen Do a great job with their staff and the chef is awesome everything made fresh to order desserts are awesome and the staff has been there with the Bijou for a long time which speaks volumes about the restaurant and the owner I have been going to the Bijou since JP open and that's been at least 15 years or more. I continue to go there and I continue to refer people to the Bijou because it will never disappoint, and is Sarasota's best hidden secret in the down town area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There is only one first impressionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014.... and the Bijou's was excellent. We'll be back a second time soonSpecial Features:
- Do BijoufoodisgoodDined on 8/16/2014Classic dining with a bit of a twist...elegant, superb food.Special Features:
- Sarasota gemSarasotaGemDined on 8/16/2014A special place for a special occasion and a great meal with outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refined DiningsnkkDined on 8/15/2014Our dining experience was an excellent one. The restaurant has several smaller rooms, tastefully decorated with tables well spaced. The service was attentive, but not intrusive. Our meal was served at an appropriate pace. The dishes were attractively plated and the food was well prepared and tasty. Will definitely return to this lovely gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingfoodieatheartDined on 8/15/2014I have eaten at Bijou perhaps three times a year for over 25 years. It has always been my first choice for "let's eat out". Never a disappointing meal!Special Features:
- neighborhoodDined on 8/11/2014There were 4 of us and we dine outside. The dinner we had last Monday night was not up to Bijou's normal high standards. The veal entry was greasy, the soup was unremarkable. The cod fish dish was good. Maybe the Chef was off on Monday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTALFREDVIPDined on 8/9/2014BIJOU CONTINUES TO BE A VERY SPECIAL DINING EXPERIENCE. THE FOOD, SERVICE AND AMBIANCE ARE TRULY A PLEASURE, AS THEY HAVE BEEN FOR THE PAST 25 YEARS. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ChoiceRayMDined on 8/8/2014The Bijou never disappoints. They will greet you with a smile and treat you well, from the valet to the owner to the bartender. The food is consistently near perfect with the peppercorn steak and the crispy roasted duck near the top of an extensive list of favorites. Love sitting in the lounge area for a slightly less formal experience. It's no surprise to see the Bijou top the Zagat survey as they have been at the top of my list for years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place never disappoints!Jcg728VIPDined on 8/5/2014I have been coming to Bijou for years and it is always consistently fantastic! This visit was no exception. Our waitress, Dalia, was exceptional. Drew, the host, was as warm and accommodating as he always is, being sensitive to my 92 year old Dad's hearing issue by placing us in a quieter spot in the restaurant. Overall, between the food, the atmosphere and the service, our evening was a perfect "10". This place is on my must visit list when in Sarasota! Don't miss it!Special Features:
- Savor SarasotaFoodieDined on 8/5/2014One of the 3 items on the menu was Scottish salmon and they did not have it- offered Atlantic; the second choice- duck salad- more a lunch item; third- veal do not eat! Soups and chic dessert-very good
- GreatOdysseyDined on 8/4/2014Food and service were excellent! We were here with another couple to celebrate my wife's birthday and it was a fun and enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Great experienceFood4MeDined on 8/1/2014Service was great, food was fantastic. Would definitely recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Fine dining in SarasotaDS11VIPDined on 8/1/2014Excellent food served in refined atmosphere. Went with kids, definitely felt under dressed, only ones there in shorts. This is a very nice restaurant, food was very good, service was professional, would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energy ChargedKConthebeachDined on 8/1/2014We had lunch last year with friends from CA and Daria was our server. Again we lucked out with Daria being our server. She is spunky and full of life. I enjoy how she is a professional that doesn't miss a trick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for those with food allergieshappy2eatDined on 8/1/2014One of the best meals I have had in a long time in a local restaurant. The chef made for me salmon with a vegetable combination of diced sweet potato/diced beets and swiss chard with a side of asparagus . The other two gals ordered off the menu and said the food was excellent. After,we sat and talked. It was so quiet I was able to hear them. I generally can not hear when I am out. Have so many food allergies was glad to have a meal out with my friends. One of the gals was quite impressed as we had been at another restaurant in the area where I was unable to have a meal. Sat there while the others ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014We dined with friends and had all had great meals. We were never rushed and the wait staff were attentive but not hovering. The wine choice was excellent. We have been to the Bijoux many times in the past and it has never failed our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Summer MenuMadamsaVIPDined on 7/30/2014The Bijou is always delightful but their summer menu is also reasonable.Special Features:
- Savor Sarasota Special is great!YoungInSrqDined on 7/25/2014Went to Bijou with some coworkers for lunch during the week. Service was excellent, and the food was on point. We each had a soup/salad and entree off the Savor Sarasota menu ($15) and every loved what they ate. I had gravlax salad (great dressing) and the black and blue salad. Steak was cooked perfectly. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rehearsal dinner for 10carolDined on 7/24/2014We hosted what turned out to be an amazing rehearsal dinner for our son and future daughter in law. The friendly professional and extremely thorough staff met every expectation and more. Making arrangements from Ohio and making all the arrangements over the telephone we could not have been more pleased with the outcome. Highly recommend for your special occasion in the patio room or one of their private dining area. It will be a special memory to our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet CelebrationMrBrianDined on 7/23/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday at a corner table in the bar. It was perfect, delicious food, unhurried service and a wonderful vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer diningmammaDined on 7/21/2014This is the second time this summer that my husband and I dined at this restaurant. His fish entrée on both occasions were excellent. I was disappointed both times. The duck was good but not outstanding. I ordered the pork special this time and was very disappointed. I did not complain since I didn't want to ruin the lovely evening we were having. The wait staff was excellent.Special Features:
- Classy & FulfillingTeriDined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed the evening...let's start with the Morrocan Salad and the best being the pork shank dinner with tasty sides. The yummy sweet treat salted caramel gelato was a great ending to a wonderful meal.Special Features: