1287 First St
Sarasota, FL 34236Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bijoucafe.net/
- Phone: 941-366-8111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jean-Pierre Knaggs
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have 2 separate private dining rooms. The Bird Room seats up to 30 guests and is fully AV equipped. The Patio Room seats up to 40 and has access to a private outdoor area with fountain.
- Private Party Contact: Karen Thomson 9413668111
- Cross Street: Pineapple Ave
- Public Transit: We are 2 blocks west of the main bus terminal.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We offer valet parking every day at lunch and every evening during the peak season. We have a private, well lit parking lot across the street and there is plenty of on street parking as well
A word from Bijou Cafe
The Bijou Café, located in the heart of Sarasota’s prestigious Theatre & Arts District since 1986, is one of Florida’s best known restaurants. Chef-owner, Jean-Pierre Knaggs and wife Shay, welcome guests with genuine hospitality and unparalleled service. Chef Knaggs, renowned for his sophisticated innovative cuisine, brings a passion for cooking to breath-taking new heights! For more casual fare The Bijou Cafe offers a lighter Bar Bites Menu in the “Gossips Lounge”, or outside on the Patio, the place to be for seasonal al fresco dining. An award winning, value based wine list and a dazzling collection of imaginative cocktails fulfill even the most ardent imbiber’s desires!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Bijou Cafe - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Bijou Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (74)fit for foodies (60)romantic (55)neighborhood gem (47)great for lunch (34)notable wine list (23)good for groups (13)great for outdoor dining (10)hot spot (7)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- One of Sarasota's BESTTrailerkingVIPDined on 10/14/2014Always enjoyed eating at Bijou. Menu does not change often but food is very consistent, fresh, great presentation, and very good. Probably the best rack of lamb in SarasotaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelectableFoodsnobDined on 10/14/2014The restaurant is the best in Florida. Chef is truly one of a kind. Recommend the shrimp and crab bisque. Rack of lamb 10 out of 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Family FavoriteilvcobaltDined on 10/14/2014If you are looking for a place for special occasions or a romantic dinner, Bijou Cafe is the place to go. A long established restaurant known for excellent food and extra attentive service. Located within walking distance of downtown, the opera house and theaters.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014Once again a lovely dining experience---so pleasant and relaxing. No rushing, waitstaff very polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014We celebrated my husband's 65th birthday with another couple and we all had a fabulous meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bijou Cafe is a Winner AgainMac4104VIPDined on 9/30/2014We dined with another couple for lunch and specifically chose Bijou for their lovely Savor Sarasota luncheon menu (only restaurant continuing this great Sarasota option). We loved our meals, our server, and the setting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch- as alwaysEwbarnetDined on 9/26/2014My friend and I enjoyed a delicious salad and a super dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bob ROpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014I have eaten at the Bijou for years and always was delighted with food ambiance and service. However this time, they made a mistake in my bill and ran my credit card through twice resulting in an $115.00 overcharge to my Debit Card. They easily collected the proper amount for my dining bill but they are having difficulty seeing that I get my $115.00 overcharge back. It doesn't seem to be very important to them and they say just wait and it will clear out. Two days in a row. I was disappointed in my calls to them to straighten out. When you call before opening hours, their answering by machine is a little rough!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs an ambiance expert!bak2mangeVIPDined on 9/20/2014The menu is great though why everyone insists on throwing sirachi peppers in everything is beyond me. The scallop special was so good but too spicy to eat. Our waiter Greyson was wonderful but the lighting is awful, the yellowish tint and murkiness makes for an unwelcome feeling I'm sorry to say. They have the good led spots on the art, let's use it for the diners as well!!
- PerfectChesterDined on 9/20/2014We visit Sarasota a few times a year from the UK and always try to have dinner here. I am ashamed to say that I always have the same meal as to me it is just perfect. Lobster Bisque followed by the Lamb Chops. Can never be bettered and the food is matched only by the warm welcome from Karen and her staff and the setting in the intimate bar area. Just go and enjoy the best food in Sarasota.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful lunchbuckyDined on 9/18/2014food well prepared, service excellent, we were sitted in lounge area that with all of the galss windows was somewhat warm as it was a sunny Florida day. Will return and ask for the main dining roomSpecial Features:
- Good food and serviceRositaDined on 9/17/2014We will be back. The food it is delicious and originalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014We celebrated our 12th Anniversary at Bijou since it was the restaurant of choice the evening of our wedding. Even though we have eaten here many times over the last 22 years as residents of Sarasota the charm of this restaurant remains consistent. Great service, excellent food and a quiet environment. A gem during the non-tourist season. Thanks to all for a great evening.Special Features:
- Bijou CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Bijou Cafe is a small downtown Sarasota restaurant that has very good lunch and dinner menus, along with a fine wine list. 7:00 pm on Saturday night, was filled to capacity. $50 - $75, per person, entree, salad, dessert. Wine bottle, $30 - $70Special Features:
- excellentBertVIPDined on 9/11/2014Our favorite restaurant in this locale. Food always wonderful.Special Features:
- Yes, it is a gem.out2munchDined on 9/10/2014To begin with, a surprise. Without a word, we were promptly seated in a quiet corner. They had actually read our special request on the Open Table reservation! Next, although usually a seafood person, I ordered the braised beef short ribs, currently on the Savor Sarasota menu. They were amazing, perfectly seasoned, and cut-with-a-fork. The beet, arugula and goat cheese salad was a nice opener, and the dessert, which we often skip, was here included, a delicious assortment of fresh berries with cream. The service was excellent, and we made up for our specially priced meal by ordering a great bottle of Guigal Gigondas, recommended by our waiter. A total treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We go there yearly for my birthday. The food as well as the service is outstanding...food arrives on hot plates...can not beat that...presentation delightful...found close by parking ...can. Walk around downtown Sarasota ..beautiful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence every time!Bara2Dined on 9/6/2014Saturday night's dinner experience was superb! We were greeted at the door immediately, seated at a lovely table at once and from then on the evening was delightful. The food was extraordinary which is no surprise to me. I've been going to the Bijou for over 20 years and have never been disappointed. Going there is always a complete pleasure!Special Features:
- visitorvisitorDined on 9/5/2014Food, attention to detail and service wonderful as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticConnieDined on 9/5/2014We brought our friends who were celebrating their recent marriage. I asked for a nice table and was given a wonderful private table in the rear. Food and service were excellent. I enjoy personable service and we got it. My firiends enjoyed the candelabra brought to the table and we got some great pictures with it. We will be back for sure.!Special Features:
- Savoring SarasotaBandCDined on 9/4/2014We enjoyed the Savor Sarasota menu they were offering. And were certainly tempted to choose other items from their regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savor SarasotaAced13Dined on 8/30/2014Learned from our server Jim that this offer will be extended through the end of September. We enjoyed the duck, trout and shrimp dishes. Service was prompt and timely visits to see if all was okay. We were early at a six pm reservation, by the time we left not many tables were available. That in itself tells you something about this classy restaurant!Special Features:
- The Best!lalaDined on 8/29/2014Don't miss eating at the Bijou! The best in Sarasota!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for usnalaDined on 8/29/2014My husband and I went. We are new to Sarasota and the place looks very inviting from the outside. Sadly that quaint decor does not carry through to the inside which looks a bit like a Holiday Inn restaurant that hadn't been updated in twenty years. Not a place for foodies. The wait staff was very good however, very nice and quick to fill water glasses or wine. The food was pretty good if a tad rich and not particularly inspired - sorry, but steamed broccoli as a side?
- Wonderful as alwaysSDM1Dined on 8/23/2014This was the spot of our first date. Since then we have been back for the 1 year anniversary of that 1st date and most recently for our 1 year wedding anniversary. The food is always wonderful with new things to try and the service is always excellent.Special Features:
- Not Up to ParFrequntDinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014We dine at Bijou on a regular basis and generally find the experience extremely positive. Our last visit was not up to par. More often than not our main course is duck. This time the duck meat was somewhat dry on both our ducks. I used all of both sauces provided to counteract the dryness. Exacerbating the situation was the dressing. Some time ago Bijou changed their dressing recipe for the worse. This time it was even less tasty than its not very tasty usual. I don't understand why they changed the recipe but I hope others will also let them know it was a bad move.Special Features:
- goodfoodaddictDined on 8/21/2014The Bijou Café is consistently a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Bijou cafe - Downtown Sarasota, FLPuppersDined on 8/18/2014JP and Karen Do a great job with their staff and the chef is awesome everything made fresh to order desserts are awesome and the staff has been there with the Bijou for a long time which speaks volumes about the restaurant and the owner I have been going to the Bijou since JP open and that's been at least 15 years or more. I continue to go there and I continue to refer people to the Bijou because it will never disappoint, and is Sarasota's best hidden secret in the down town area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There is only one first impressionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014.... and the Bijou's was excellent. We'll be back a second time soonSpecial Features:
- Do BijoufoodisgoodDined on 8/16/2014Classic dining with a bit of a twist...elegant, superb food.Special Features:
- Sarasota gemSarasotaGemDined on 8/16/2014A special place for a special occasion and a great meal with outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refined DiningsnkkDined on 8/15/2014Our dining experience was an excellent one. The restaurant has several smaller rooms, tastefully decorated with tables well spaced. The service was attentive, but not intrusive. Our meal was served at an appropriate pace. The dishes were attractively plated and the food was well prepared and tasty. Will definitely return to this lovely gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingfoodieatheartDined on 8/15/2014I have eaten at Bijou perhaps three times a year for over 25 years. It has always been my first choice for "let's eat out". Never a disappointing meal!Special Features:
- neighborhoodDined on 8/11/2014There were 4 of us and we dine outside. The dinner we had last Monday night was not up to Bijou's normal high standards. The veal entry was greasy, the soup was unremarkable. The cod fish dish was good. Maybe the Chef was off on Monday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTALFREDVIPDined on 8/9/2014BIJOU CONTINUES TO BE A VERY SPECIAL DINING EXPERIENCE. THE FOOD, SERVICE AND AMBIANCE ARE TRULY A PLEASURE, AS THEY HAVE BEEN FOR THE PAST 25 YEARS. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ChoiceRayMDined on 8/8/2014The Bijou never disappoints. They will greet you with a smile and treat you well, from the valet to the owner to the bartender. The food is consistently near perfect with the peppercorn steak and the crispy roasted duck near the top of an extensive list of favorites. Love sitting in the lounge area for a slightly less formal experience. It's no surprise to see the Bijou top the Zagat survey as they have been at the top of my list for years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place never disappoints!Jcg728VIPDined on 8/5/2014I have been coming to Bijou for years and it is always consistently fantastic! This visit was no exception. Our waitress, Dalia, was exceptional. Drew, the host, was as warm and accommodating as he always is, being sensitive to my 92 year old Dad's hearing issue by placing us in a quieter spot in the restaurant. Overall, between the food, the atmosphere and the service, our evening was a perfect "10". This place is on my must visit list when in Sarasota! Don't miss it!Special Features:
- Savor SarasotaFoodieDined on 8/5/2014One of the 3 items on the menu was Scottish salmon and they did not have it- offered Atlantic; the second choice- duck salad- more a lunch item; third- veal do not eat! Soups and chic dessert-very good
- GreatOdysseyDined on 8/4/2014Food and service were excellent! We were here with another couple to celebrate my wife's birthday and it was a fun and enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Great experienceFood4MeDined on 8/1/2014Service was great, food was fantastic. Would definitely recommend for a special occasion.Special Features: