1287 First St
Sarasota, FL 34236Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bijoucafe.net/
- Phone: (941) 366-8111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jean-Pierre Knaggs
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have 2 separate private dining rooms. The Bird Room seats up to 30 guests and is fully AV equipped. The Patio Room seats up to 40 and has access to a private outdoor area with fountain.
- Private Party Contact: Karen Thomson 9413668111
- Cross Street: Pineapple Ave
- Public Transit: We are 2 blocks west of the main bus terminal.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We offer valet parking every day at lunch and every evening during the peak season. We have a private, well lit parking lot across the street and there is plenty of on street parking as well
A word from Bijou Cafe
The Bijou Café, located in the heart of Sarasota’s prestigious Theatre & Arts District since 1986, is one of Florida’s best known restaurants. Chef-owner, Jean-Pierre Knaggs and wife Shay, welcome guests with genuine hospitality and unparalleled service. Chef Knaggs, renowned for his sophisticated innovative cuisine, brings a passion for cooking to breath-taking new heights! For more casual fare The Bijou Cafe offers a lighter Bar Bites Menu in the “Gossips Lounge”, or outside on the Patio, the place to be for seasonal al fresco dining. An award winning, value based wine list and a dazzling collection of imaginative cocktails fulfill even the most ardent imbiber’s desires!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Bijou Cafe - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Bijou Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (87)fit for foodies (78)romantic (62)neighborhood gem (53)notable wine list (33)great for lunch (32)good for groups (20)great for outdoor dining (18)hot spot (9)late-night find (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- donnaVIPDined on 11/21/2014We dined with another couple and before I even left the house I knew what I was having for dinner. I love the lamb at Bijou. Husband had the duck, which he totally enjoyed, and the other couple both had pasta. We all enjoyed our dinner and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulJaygeeDined on 11/20/2014Their duck is a must have. Order the bread pudding for dessert, you won't be sorry. The service is attentive without being intrusive, warm but not over-friendly. The staff works together to ensure you have a delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special friends dinnerretiredearlyDined on 11/20/2014Friends from KS in town. Wanted special place for our last evening and bijou cafe was perfect. Our 4 entrees were delicious. Chicken elevated to new heights! Duck was crispy and moist and 2 of us got the ravioli which was wonderful. Bread pudding and chocolate mousse for desert. Will go again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out!MrsLDined on 11/20/2014We enjoyed our dining experience . The service was impeccable, the food was amazing. I would recommend it and go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- downtown delightPuppersDined on 11/18/2014This has been one of the best restaurants in downtown Sarasota for over 20 years. JP the owner has consistently shown Sarasota you can have a very good restaurant in Florida. His food is outstanding, management staff Karen is awesome and the waitstaff is perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequentdinerDined on 11/15/2014Bijou is consistently the best restaurant in Sarasota.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth Driving 200 Miles Just For DinnerKoochDined on 11/14/2014Second visit just as delicious & special as the first time. Pretty dining room - attentive staff - 4 of us dining. We all had the house specialties - two had the duck - cooked to perfection. Lamb for one and the Pepper Sirloin. Along with the house special potatoes - don't miss them - one is large enough for a table of 4. We were too full for desert ... we had so much left over, there was no problem with the staff packing it up to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sieataVIPDined on 11/14/2014The Bijou is always excellent and we are never disappointed. To our way of thinking it is the best restaurant in Sarasota. I had the flounder special which was delicious. My husband either orders the rack of lamb or the duck. This visit it was the duck which was as good as ever. The serving size was large and done to perfection. Our friends ordered the rack of lamb and were very pleased. We always recommend the Bijou to anyone coming yo Sarasota for a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KrisDined on 11/7/2014The ambiance and charm of this intimate restaurant represents the high quality of the Sarasota Restaurant Scene. The food was wonderful and our waiter was delightful.Special Features:
- BeantownvisitorsDined on 11/5/2014We very much enjoyed our experience at the Bijou Cafe. It was my birthday and they have a delightful tradition of bringing a dessert to share with a small crystal candelabra for your table. The food was very good and the service attentive. Overall, a very nice experience.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fit for foodieseviselDined on 11/5/2014Great Morrocan salad, delicious salmon and super decaffenated capuccinoSpecial Features:
- Recommended by FriendsRipon68Dined on 11/1/2014The Bijou lived up the promise. The ambience is very nice, the service excellent, and the food interesting and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food great servicemyrtleVIPDined on 10/31/2014we had a great server that keep us entertain and laughing the whole time we dined great food along with it would recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:
- Always on our Top Five listOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/31/2014Whenever we return to the Sarasota area, we look forward to returning to the Bijou. And we request Grayson, who is a personable and excellent waiter. We appreciate the use of seasonally, locally available ingredients. The favors meld rather than confuse and the presentation is always innovative in some way. The wine list is varied and offers reasonably affordable choices for everyone. The ambiance is pleasing, with varied, well-chosen art works and table lamps reminiscent of the elegance of fine dining establishments of the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great Choicemiami307Dined on 10/29/2014The food, ambience and service make for a great experience but if you order the potato au gratin be ready to share this outstanding side.Special Features:
- Excellent French cusineastrobillDined on 10/28/2014You can't go wrong taking your friends here! Very reasonable prices at lunch. A bit pricey at Dinner, but more than made up for in excellent food and service. One of the best restaurants we've ever enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentfreesprtDined on 10/18/2014Have eaten here fairly often. This time I was with a small group of women to celebrate a birthday. Service and food were outstanding and they did several nice things for the birthday girl. The dining room was full but the noise level was not too loud-I don't know how they manage that but they do. The seafood bisque is one of their specialities and it is outstanding. Very good desserts too. Drinks seem too expensive, i.e; $10.00 for a house vodka on the rocks.Special Features:
- Fine dining establishmentNoelSDined on 10/18/2014This is consistantly the best food in town. The restaurant is pretty, the food excellent and the service outstandinig. I would recommend Bijou for lunch, dinner or a special event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Sarasota's BESTTrailerkingVIPDined on 10/14/2014Always enjoyed eating at Bijou. Menu does not change often but food is very consistent, fresh, great presentation, and very good. Probably the best rack of lamb in SarasotaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelectableFoodsnobDined on 10/14/2014The restaurant is the best in Florida. Chef is truly one of a kind. Recommend the shrimp and crab bisque. Rack of lamb 10 out of 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Family FavoriteilvcobaltVIPDined on 10/14/2014If you are looking for a place for special occasions or a romantic dinner, Bijou Cafe is the place to go. A long established restaurant known for excellent food and extra attentive service. Located within walking distance of downtown, the opera house and theaters.Special Features:
- Just OKLIdinersVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had dinner here while on vacation in Sarasota. Our meal was disappointing. I had a fish special with green tomatoes which was dry and really had no flavor. My husband had a German special which he said was good but nothing memorable. Service was a little slow. Probably won't return to this one.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014Once again a lovely dining experience---so pleasant and relaxing. No rushing, waitstaff very polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014We celebrated my husband's 65th birthday with another couple and we all had a fabulous meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bijou Cafe is a Winner AgainMac4104VIPDined on 9/30/2014We dined with another couple for lunch and specifically chose Bijou for their lovely Savor Sarasota luncheon menu (only restaurant continuing this great Sarasota option). We loved our meals, our server, and the setting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch- as alwaysEwbarnetDined on 9/26/2014My friend and I enjoyed a delicious salad and a super dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bob ROpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014I have eaten at the Bijou for years and always was delighted with food ambiance and service. However this time, they made a mistake in my bill and ran my credit card through twice resulting in an $115.00 overcharge to my Debit Card. They easily collected the proper amount for my dining bill but they are having difficulty seeing that I get my $115.00 overcharge back. It doesn't seem to be very important to them and they say just wait and it will clear out. Two days in a row. I was disappointed in my calls to them to straighten out. When you call before opening hours, their answering by machine is a little rough!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs an ambiance expert!bak2mangeVIPDined on 9/20/2014The menu is great though why everyone insists on throwing sirachi peppers in everything is beyond me. The scallop special was so good but too spicy to eat. Our waiter Greyson was wonderful but the lighting is awful, the yellowish tint and murkiness makes for an unwelcome feeling I'm sorry to say. They have the good led spots on the art, let's use it for the diners as well!!
- PerfectChesterDined on 9/20/2014We visit Sarasota a few times a year from the UK and always try to have dinner here. I am ashamed to say that I always have the same meal as to me it is just perfect. Lobster Bisque followed by the Lamb Chops. Can never be bettered and the food is matched only by the warm welcome from Karen and her staff and the setting in the intimate bar area. Just go and enjoy the best food in Sarasota.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful lunchbuckyDined on 9/18/2014food well prepared, service excellent, we were sitted in lounge area that with all of the galss windows was somewhat warm as it was a sunny Florida day. Will return and ask for the main dining roomSpecial Features:
- Good food and serviceRositaDined on 9/17/2014We will be back. The food it is delicious and originalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014We celebrated our 12th Anniversary at Bijou since it was the restaurant of choice the evening of our wedding. Even though we have eaten here many times over the last 22 years as residents of Sarasota the charm of this restaurant remains consistent. Great service, excellent food and a quiet environment. A gem during the non-tourist season. Thanks to all for a great evening.Special Features:
- Bijou CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Bijou Cafe is a small downtown Sarasota restaurant that has very good lunch and dinner menus, along with a fine wine list. 7:00 pm on Saturday night, was filled to capacity. $50 - $75, per person, entree, salad, dessert. Wine bottle, $30 - $70Special Features:
- excellentBertVIPDined on 9/11/2014Our favorite restaurant in this locale. Food always wonderful.Special Features:
- Yes, it is a gem.out2munchDined on 9/10/2014To begin with, a surprise. Without a word, we were promptly seated in a quiet corner. They had actually read our special request on the Open Table reservation! Next, although usually a seafood person, I ordered the braised beef short ribs, currently on the Savor Sarasota menu. They were amazing, perfectly seasoned, and cut-with-a-fork. The beet, arugula and goat cheese salad was a nice opener, and the dessert, which we often skip, was here included, a delicious assortment of fresh berries with cream. The service was excellent, and we made up for our specially priced meal by ordering a great bottle of Guigal Gigondas, recommended by our waiter. A total treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We go there yearly for my birthday. The food as well as the service is outstanding...food arrives on hot plates...can not beat that...presentation delightful...found close by parking ...can. Walk around downtown Sarasota ..beautiful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence every time!Bara2Dined on 9/6/2014Saturday night's dinner experience was superb! We were greeted at the door immediately, seated at a lovely table at once and from then on the evening was delightful. The food was extraordinary which is no surprise to me. I've been going to the Bijou for over 20 years and have never been disappointed. Going there is always a complete pleasure!Special Features:
- visitorvisitorDined on 9/5/2014Food, attention to detail and service wonderful as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticConnieDined on 9/5/2014We brought our friends who were celebrating their recent marriage. I asked for a nice table and was given a wonderful private table in the rear. Food and service were excellent. I enjoy personable service and we got it. My firiends enjoyed the candelabra brought to the table and we got some great pictures with it. We will be back for sure.!Special Features:
- Savoring SarasotaBandCDined on 9/4/2014We enjoyed the Savor Sarasota menu they were offering. And were certainly tempted to choose other items from their regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.