1 Bigelow Square
Pittsburgh, PA 15219Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bigelowgrille.com/
- Phone: 4122815013x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday (Buffet): 6am-10am (Menu): 6am-11
Saturday - Sunday (Buffet): 7am-12am (Menu): 7am-11
Monday - Friday: 11am-4pm
Saturday - Sunday: 12noon-4pm
Monday - Sunday: 4pm-11pm
Sunday - Thursday: Closes at 12midnight
Friday - Saturday: Closes at 1am
Monday - Friday: 5pm-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Anthony Zallo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Benedetto Biondo 4122815013x
A word from Bigelow Grille
The Bigelow Grille features New American cuisine distinguished by seasonal ingredients and bold Mediterranean flavors. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Bigelow Grille serves prime farm raised meats and seafood along with the freshest locally-harvested produce. The lively boutique cocktails, and an extensive wine list with something for every budget and palette.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Bigelow Grille - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Bigelow Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (3)fit for foodies (2)late-night find (2)romantic (1)special occasion (1)neighborhood gem (1)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The restaurant is inside a hotel. A family in flip flops and shorts was dining in the restaurant. We got the steak and there was no flavor in it. So it was doused in A-1 sauce in order to be edible. I would not recommend going to this restaurant for restaurant week. Definitely overpriced for the quality of the food.
- Pgh11Dined on 8/4/2014The food and service were very good. We were able to take our time and have a relaxed meal. The mac and cheese was creamy and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good RestaurantpmnyVIPDined on 7/20/2014Visit this place when traveling on business. The burger with tater tots is very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a "thing" and better service.JVegasDined on 7/7/2014This used to be the restaurant where they had an Alchemy menu, which was very cool. Now it doesn't appear to have any sort of niche...so, for the $$, it's not a very eclectic menu. That being said, we didn't get to taste anything but the app cheese plate anyway because they didn't get dinner served in the 1 1/2 hours we were there. We had to move on. They did refund us an apologize, but unfortunately, that was not the end result we were looking for. We were looking for a nice dinner out before the show. In summary, we have good memories there, but until they improve their service and get their identity back, they will remain memories...
- Horrible serviceCarolVIPDined on 7/7/2014Although several reviews had stated that the Bigelow Grille had problems getting the food out, it seemed like a problem that they could address. Other restaurants close to the Consol Arena know how to serve pre-game and pre-concert crowds. We waited over 50 minutes from ordering before any food was brought to us. The red wine was served in a very small wine glass. I am sure the restaurant gets at least ten glasses per bottle! The burger was so overcooked that my husband sent it back despite waiting so long for his meal. The replacement burger wasn't much better. The waitress never apologized and was trying to avoid making eye contact with us and others since she could not produce the food that had been ordered.
- Badvecchio49VIPDined on 7/7/2014The food was just plain awful. My flank steak tasted like liver! Enough said.Special Features:
- Good experienceAmyKDined on 6/9/2014Food is always great here. Service was quick, although our server was gruff and overly efficient...walking away as she talked every time.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014My husband and I went to Bigelow Grille for or 14th wedding anniversary. I got the tomato bisque (excellent!), lamb, asparagus, lyonnaise potatoes were very good! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 189 reviews are from the Bigelow Grille reviews archive.
- Great restaurantMaryDined on 5/12/2014Bigelow Grille offers fresh, creative dishes -- I've never had anything less than a great meal there. The servers are, without exception, friendly and courteous -- although sometimes a bit slow with getting checks to the table when the meal is over (and when business people need to get back to their offices) and refilling beverages. Other that that, Bigelow Grille is great and one of my favorite downtown dining spots.Special Features:
- Breakfast at the BigelowBruceTexasVIPDined on 5/9/2014The Bigelow Grille is found in the lobby of the DoubleTree by Hilton. It was a fine breakfast buffet with few choices, yet a variety of cold and warm food items. There was a good omelet workstation that was operated daily. The atmosphere was work friendly.Special Features:
- chc2013Dined on 5/8/2014Nice lunch menu. Reasonably priced for lunch meeting and interviews.Special Features:
- Hotel RestaurantBusinessTravelerVIPDined on 5/1/2014This is a typical hotel restaurant. The food is just ok and most everyone that eats here is due to the fact they are staying at the hotel. If you are in downtown Pittsburgh, I would not make this my destination to eat. The atmosphere is lacking and you certainly can find better, easily. The staff was nice and friendly. They were happy to do their job. However, they were dress in outfits that would work for an Olive Garden or lower chain restaurant. Nothing special here.
- Nice placepmnyVIPDined on 4/27/2014The mussels I had were very nice. Service is profesional and curtious
- Easter BrunchTravelfoodieDined on 4/20/2014The restaurant was nice, but we happened to select it because we were celebrating Easter with our Univ of Pitt student and wanted a nice brunch. The buffet brunch was a major disappointment. Everything we ate was well-prepared and tasted good, but for $32 per person, the selection was tiny. Chicken, salmon, ham, lamb, pasta, tossed salad, and one vegetable, plus some breakfast items that were lame. I've had better breakfasts included in my hotel stay at other chains. Only 3 desserts to choose from. We spent a lot of money and came away extremely disappointed.
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014The service at Easter brunch was terrible. The restaurant was almost empty, and staff was difficult to find. Buffet stations were left unattended at thimes, leaving patrons to carve their own meat.
- Good foodpmnyVIPDined on 4/15/2014This place is nice but nothing extraordinary. Good pub grub I recommend the Burger with a side of tater tots.I would recommend this to a friend.
- you will like ittjkdmkVIPDined on 4/12/2014Why do I make the mistake of not going here more often instead of going to other places that are not near as good. We had the smoked chicken breast and the mac 'n cheese and both were simply perfect.Special Features:
- Ok before Consol Energy Center evenDebiDined on 4/2/2014We went here with a group before an event at the Consol. The restaurant was well aware of the event when I booked my reservation and the dining room was busy with the concert goers. It took over an hour to get our food after we ordered, and there were not nearly enough servers to handle a full restaurant. This was disappointing since they should have been prepared. The food was good, but the portions were small. The cheese plate appetizer had 3 one once pieces of cheese. The trout was good, but a very small portion. Friends had the filet and the chicken sandwich, both were fine. The prices are reasonable. It's an easy walk to the Consol, and valet parking in the garage was convenient.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Bigelow Grille was VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/2/2014The Bigelow Grille was Very Good. I have not been there for a few years but was impressed with the casual décor, the nice bar (could be bigger), a very different menu but good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was good, however theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/14/2014food was good, however the waitress was not very attentiveSpecial Features:
- Great BurgerpmnyVIPDined on 3/9/2014Nice restaurant in the hotel. I had the burger and tater tots very tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Near Consol EnergyJFromPittsburghDined on 3/7/2014Although we had to wait a bit longer than expected for our dinner, it was well worth the wait. The food tasted great, and our waitress made excellent suggestions, as this was our first time eating there. The restaurant is walking distance away from the Consol Energy Center, so you can eat dinner before going to a Pens game, concert, or ice show. We are definitely eating there again next time that we attend a performance at the Consol Energy Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was a little slow,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/27/2014Service was a little slow, but overall, not too bad.
- Bigelow grillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014This was one of the only places we could find a table at near Consol Energy Center before a big event. I searched through open table, saw an opening and made a reservation right on the app for 6:45 at 6:30. When we got to the restaurant someone who walked in just before us was told it was an hour wait, but our table was ready to go right away. It was pretty busy so it seemed like their kitchen, bar, and servers were behind but we got in an out in time to get to our event. I though it was a little expensive for the quality but I was really excited when they said pierogiess were a side option for sandwiches/burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again!skiersnowmanVIPDined on 2/21/2014Very disappointing experience. After we ordered, it took over 20 minutes for the salads to appear. We requested bread but we were told the restaurant no longer provided it at the table. That was interesting to us because we had bread plates. We asked what the plates were for and we were told they were there to "hold the napkins". Once the salad plates were cleared, it took another 30 minutes for our main dishes to arrive. Finally, our waitress never asked if we wanted any coffee or dessert, but simply put our check on the table and walked away. After such a negative experience, we will not plan to return or recommend this restaurant.
- Love Chef AnthonyKat21Dined on 2/21/2014We enjoyed great food, spectacular service (thanks to Lauria), it was a very enjoyable night! We had the meatballs, tater tots, hangar steak. All was top notch, fresh, delicious and inventive. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- a great value in downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/8/2014wonderful preparation, staff, and organic food -- perhaps the best value in downtown PittsburghSpecial Features:
- Dinner before the gamestealth57Dined on 2/7/2014I love the relaxed feel of this place - somewhere close you can go for dinner before the hockey game. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The potato filled perogis were amazing and the Beet salad was excellent. The table was sold on the beer selections - everyone found one to their liking. Service was well-timed and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QualityjoyseekerDined on 2/3/2014If you want a meal made with quality ingredients, this is it. Eating organically as often as possible is important to me. The salads are always very good, lots of good fresh ingredients and lots of good choices on each visit. I have had a good dinner on each visit. This visit I had a fennel salad with golden delicious apples, pecans, Gorgonzola, and baby spinach with a vinaigrette. Crunchy, and tasty. I also ordered the meatballs with polenta. Very good sauce, very good meatballs. I couldn't finish my third meatball. The waitstaff was terrific. We made a reservation since we were heading to a Pens game. I will come back for dinner again.Special Features:
- Very Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/3/2014It took 15 minutes for the first visit by the waitress and 45 minutes to get a hamburger. The food was good but not worth the wait. Plenty of empty tables so volume was not the issue.
- Decent Food, Awful ServiceEmilieHill87Dined on 1/3/2014My boyfriend and I went for my birthday- which was noted in the reservation that he made, but nothing was mentioned. The server had no idea what liquor they carried. My boyfriend requested 3 different things, all of which she had to "check on". He ordered an old fashioned, which came out closer to a manhattan. The server didn't deliver any of our food herself. The entrees were delivered by a cook who hunted her down while carrying our plates to find out who they belonged to, then slammed them down infront of us and walked away. She came out of the kitchen yelling "no! no!" as my boyfriend took a bite out of his burger, then said nevermind. Figured out it was the wrong burger. Manager remedied. No one cleared a glass from any drink. MESS.
- Good But EmptyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013The food, service, and wine selection were quite good but the place was surprising empty for a saturday night close to the holidays. Friendly waitress, pretty good atmosphere. Possibly just a slow night. I'd still go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013Food was excellent but service was a bit slow, probably the kitchen backed up.Special Features:
- Convenient location to Consol eventLittleItalianDined on 12/7/2013We chose this restaurant because of its convenient location to the Consol Energy Center. My friend and I stopped there for lunch before an event. They validated parking in the hotel garage (the garage attendants were very friendly as well). We found the food and service to be very good and priced well too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2013We had a nice meal before a concert. Food was great but I'm not sure our waitress brought her A game. I asked what the roti potatoes were that came with the local beef and was told they were roasted potatoes. My meal was served with flat diced potatoes. My wife asked for bread and was made to feel like it was not routine to have bread with a salad - our waitress made it seem like an inconvenience but said she would bring it and then never did. She thought she asked us if we wanted dessert and had told her know no. When we told her we wanted dessert, she let us know we had told her no (we were never asked). Our waitress asked us if we wanted one check or two (we were two couples)-moments later, she again asked if we wanted one check or two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordered the trout which wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/12/2013Ordered the trout which was not very good. The starter salad was good but just your typical salad. This seems like a place that prepares the basic burger and sandwich dishes well.
- Good EatscstbDined on 11/9/2013The food was delicious and the menu has a good variety. It was a football night in the 'Burgh so it was busy and noisy with large groups.Special Features:
- nice lunch at a downtown favoritespecialkDined on 10/23/2013A friend and I had lunch at the BG on Wednesday. I get there occasionally and always order the steak salad - which, in my opinion,is one of their signature dishes. Our server was especially attentive. THe food was very good - would have like a bit more steak - but who wouldnt - and I'll be back. Sometimes the BG gets real busy for lunch so I made a lunch reservation and would suggest that others do it. Its a good spot for a quick business lunch, or a fun one with friends. THe men is varied and there's something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hotel restaurantxch1nDined on 10/19/2013We ended up selecting this restaurant on short notice because we had a large group and needed a venue quickly. It ended up meeting our needs and then some. The service was wonderful, as was the environment. The food was of good quality, and reasonable for the prices. Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend this venue to people needing a conveniently located downtown restaurant for large groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab cakes - Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2013This is really a delicious dish. Also love the spicy tomato soup with grilled cheese - adult comfort food. The quality of ingredients and the seasonal menu keep me coming back for more.Special Features: