Biga on the Banks
203 S. St. Mary's St.
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Biga on the Banks
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.biga.com/
- Phone: 2102250722
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bruce Auden
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Market St.
- Public Transit: Biga is located in the center of downtown San Antonio. Though we are walking distance from most downtown hotels, we are also conveniently located for any who wish to use the city's public transportation.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking available in front of the "INTERNATIONAL CENTER" 203 South St. Mary's Street at the corner of Market St. Guests are asked to pay for parking upon arrival.
A word from Biga on the Banks
Bruce Auden's award-winning BIGA ON THE BANKS is located in a spectacular setting in downtown San Antonio's modern International Center. Overlooking a romantic tree-canopied bend in the river, the historic and the new find common ground in Biga's dynamic re-emergence with ultra contemporary cuisine propelling San Antonio's recent ascent to a new level of River Walk dining. Gourmet Magazine named Biga one of the five best restaurants in Texas. Fine dining has never meant "fussy" to Chef Auden. Biga's ambiance is casual and relaxed - San Antonio style. Auden's celebrated culinary background, coupled with creative and energetic design, has marked Biga on the Banks as one of Texas' truly outstanding restaurants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Biga on the Banks - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Biga on the Banks reviews from OpenTable diners
213 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (161)fit for foodies (141)romantic (125)notable wine list (99)scenic view (93)good for groups (46)great for outdoor dining (42)neighborhood gem (33)hot spot (28)late-night find (12)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Not at all what we expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/19/2014The meals were not as we expected. The Mahi Mahi was a beautiful piece of fish, with just the lobster sauce and some basic potatoes or something would have been fine but the polenta with chirizo was awful. The game packets, you didn't even know it was game in there, very strange. The fois gras was nicely done and the quail was tasty. The venison again, too many spices and you weren't sure it was venison. Disappointing. The service was off, flashlights in the face, shaking hands, all a bit strange.
- Great Birthday Celebration Dinner!DVH47Dined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed a spectacular dinner at Biga on the Banks as we celebrated my wife's birthday. The service was really first rate and the food was delicious! I had the pork loin and my wife tried the chicken. Both dishes were beautifully prepared and presented. The wine list was extensive and we enjoyed a wonderful cabernet (Shafer One Point Five) with our meal. We were especially impressed with the wait staff ... the service was simply excellent. One slightly sour note was that our table was in a rather tight space next to a rack of gourds, and even though we were next to the window, the patio tables made it difficult to validate that we were actually "on the banks" of the River Walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014We arrived way too early, but were seated immediately. The service was incredible and the food was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!RichDined on 10/15/2014This is slightly off the beaten path on the Riverwalk, which is a good thing if you want to get away from the "bar scene" vibe that the river walk has become. Food was exceptional (we had sushi grade salmon for an appetizer, and of course seared tuna...), although not exactly cheap. Definitely try the sticky toffee pudding for dessert. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DCACDCDined on 10/14/2014BIGA has to be the most amazing place I have ever been to. The while experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bill73Dined on 10/11/2014Most of the food was great, but the lamb rack was just OK. We were seated outside at first, at night, but could not read the menu or see the food. They moved us inside but it was still too dark. Waiter forgot our souffle order. Expected better for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice romantic spotSaltnpepperDined on 10/11/2014Waiter was very helpful. Nice atmosphere. Good libatiations and food. Lettuce wraps with venison were especially good for appetizer.Special Features:
- LisaDined on 10/9/2014Food was really good, it was a bit dark outside. service was nice and we got to greet the chef!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/8/2014I was traveling here for work and went with a co-worker for dinner! We loved the warm spinach salad, both of us thought our meals were fantastic. The service was excellent as well, we even considered going back another night! Easily my best meal during my 5 day stay!Special Features:
- Birthday at BigaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014Our kids gave us a gift certificate for dinner at Biga to celebrate our 65th birthdays and a return visit to San Antonio. It did not disappoint. The food was delicious and the manager stopped by to make sure everything was okay. Our waiter was excellent - just the right blend of attentive without being intrusive. Only small quibble was the sun was in my eyes for a short while and there are no blinds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!WillyODined on 10/7/2014I have not been in San Antonio in a few years, so I relied on Open Table, as I usually do. I read the reviews for Biga on the Banks and reviewed the menu and customer reviews, and was not disappointed. I dined outdoors over the Bank of the River Walk and it was peaceful and serene. The staff was extremely attentive and did not "hover" as many do. I began with the Spinach Salad, which can be...OK. It was terrific! I then ordered the Pork Tenderloin, which was probably the best I have ever had. Overall, my experience was very impressive and I will be back again before my time in San Antonio is over. Can't wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceJencatDined on 10/6/2014A friend and I were in town for work and checked out the restaurants on Open Table in the Fit for Foodies category. She had heard of Biga on the Banks and the menu on the web site looked intriguing, so we thought we'd give it a try. The first thing that impressed us is that our waiter had been there for 15 years and was really passionate about the chef and the food. I'm impressed by any place that inspires that kind of loyalty and passion. We went with his recommendations for the lamb and bouillabaisse and LOVED our meals! He also gave us perfect wine recommendations. Oh, and don't ignore the bread basket. The corn bread and focaccia are really good. If you can, save room for dessert. The sampler I had was perfect.Special Features:
- DisappointedSunny2Dined on 10/4/2014Service was friendly but neglectful. Entrees took over an hour to arrive and were unimpressive. Previous positive reviews were misleading.
- Perfect eveningvalgaltxDined on 10/4/2014What a treat! We had exceptional service from Chris; the food was so delicious; the tables were intimate and romantic; the overall feel was that we had gone out for a very special event and it was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- River walk delightDatenightDined on 10/3/2014Visited the location for my anniversary. Ambiance was good, nice selection of wine and a good assortment of meals to choose from. Would recommend if you were there for personal or businessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!MeredithDined on 10/3/2014We had the axis, quail and salmon. They were all divine and would recommend to anyone. The bread offered in the beginning was heavenly. We even snuck in a few drinks. Our whole experience was delightful and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biga is one of SA's best!DateNightVIPDined on 10/2/2014Fantastic dining experience. Highest possible recommendation - you will not be disappointed. Ask to be served by Chris - best of the best!Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!MaineDined on 9/29/2014Went here for my husband's birthday. I asked for a nice table through Open Table and they really came through. We had a nice secluded table that made the night extra special. Food was outstanding. Service was very pleasant. Sticky toffee pudding for dessert is a must,Special Features:
- Warm martini's.drrfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Overall a very good restaraunt but can't figure out why when you specifically ask for a extra cold martini they bring you a luke warm one?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little dryWinnerwinnerchickendinnerDined on 9/27/2014The pork tenderloin was dry and the cauliflower lacked flavor. The bread was good. The corn pudding is also a great choice for a side.Special Features:
- Great Food-average serviceSAtravelerVIPDined on 9/26/2014I hadn't been to Biga in a few years and I was pleased to see the focus on the food remains. We had the potsticker app followed by the tortilla soup and split the beef ending with the soufle. The soup was on the lukewarm side but otherwise good. The rest of the meal was excellent in regard to taste. Service was another matter, the waiter did not appear to be happy to be there. He would vanish for stretches (not what we expect in this level restaurant) and I suspect the soup was lukewarm because it sat in the window. When our beef came out the server/runner (not the same person) did not know it was to be split, so we waited once again. I will go back but I will be watching the service carefully to see if its a trend.Special Features:
- Anniversary SpecialLovebirdsDined on 9/26/2014My wife and I recently dined at Biga on the Banks for our anniversary and had a fabulous experience! The food was excellent and the staff was attentive without being over present. They even added a special touch to help us celebrate. I would recommend this place to any couple looking for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional experienceStefasitaDined on 9/20/2014We expected good things, but our expectations were exceeded. The service in particular was outstanding. We loved EVERY bit of food we had. Their homemade breads offered at the beginning of dinner was one of my favorite things we had. From start to finish we were impressed. We WILLA be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LiketoeatDined on 9/20/2014The place is first class but the food was not as good as I expected.Special Features:
- Pre-Symphony DiningTexasTerriersDined on 9/20/2014We had the prix fixe menu before going to the Symphony. The food and service were not quite up to their usual standards (my salmon was overcooked, and there was an error with one of the orders that another waiter had to fix since ours had disappeared), but I imagine that's because the place was packed. Service is always courteous, and the food is inventive and nicely presented. I would highly recommend this place on a night when there's not a major event at the Tobin Center, because you'll probably have a better experience. Ask for a table toward the back, away from the noisy bar. The tables in the back have a nice view over the River Walk as well. Still one of my favorite places.Special Features:
- Did not DisappointfamilyfunDined on 9/19/2014Biga on the Banks lived up to its reputation and then some. We were looking for a special place to celebrate a 75th birthday. The serving staff and chef made the whole evening everything we could have wanted. The food, wine and attention to detail by our server were all exceptional.Special Features:
- Consistently Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014I have been eating at Biga since they were located in a little house on McCullough St. Bruce Auden consistently delivers food with outstanding flavors and uniquely creative touches.Special Features:
- Outstanding!Bbrfk74VIPDined on 9/19/2014Christopher made this first time visit truly special. He was very informative yet not intrusive. Very knowledgeable about the chef and restaurant history. The food was amazing. My husband & I tried the dishes that were different than we would normally try. Will go again the next time we're in San Antonio. Note: the reason the ambiance wasn't "outstanding" this time is we were seated at a table for two by the window looking out on the river walk which of course sounds perfect, but there was a lot of unfinished construction...but then of course that's temporary - next time everythin will be rated "outstanding".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodMostDined on 9/18/2014I was on vacation in San Amtonio and was looking for a couple of fine dining resturants. Biga was one listed. Food and atmosphere was great. I had the filet mignon with corn pudding. Dessert was the fabulous too. The English pudding was to die for! I highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth the ricejtav223Dined on 9/14/2014The meal was one of the best I have had and I am a Foodie.Whenever I travel I look for a great restaurant but am often dissapointed. The price fix was perfect,the portions were larger then expected for a top end restaurant, the drinks were large and more reasonable then on the river walk. My wife and I had different appetizers,man course and desert and shared each. We loved all 6 selections.Special Features:
- Great!FoodbaccaDined on 9/13/2014Great food, great staff, great views of the Riverwalk. If you can, get a seat next to the window. Prices are a little high but to be expected for fine dining. The wife and I got a couple cocktails and food for right around $125, but you could easily spend more. Perfect for a special occasion. Even better, you can wear jeans! You can't get much better than this in San Antonio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A river-walk DON'T MISS!!!MrWunderfulDined on 9/13/2014We had a party of (8) and all diners enjoyed the menu choices as well as their meals. The venison was a favorite.Special Features:
- Could not have been better!2forfoodDined on 9/13/2014Biga on the Banks is an outstanding restaurant that surpassed our expectations. We were treated like royalty by our server GiGi and all the other employees. If you truly appreciate great food, this is the place for you!Special Features:
- Great Service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Our server was awesome. He made our evening wonderful.Special Features:
- Great overall experienceelietDined on 9/8/2014The food, the ambiance and the wait staff were exceptional.Special Features:
- PerfectCrmillerDined on 9/6/2014Everything was just perfect! From being greeted at the door to the service to the food.. PERFECTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW is all I can say!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Food and service very high status....took good care of a situation that most restaurants would not have looked at twice....great manager and wait staff....amazing table and service from Warren....we had a great experience and was accommodated to appropriately...thank you and we will be back for the next visit to SA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaneDined on 9/5/2014The staff at Biga's does outstanding work making you feel at home. The food was prepared perfectly. We love the Mushrooms. It is hard to choose just one appetizer. They have a great wine selection . We drive from Austin just to have a meal.Special Features:
- Great Place, Great Food!FoodForMeDined on 9/5/2014My girlfriend and I celebrated both an anniversary and a birthday. Simply put, we had an amazing meal! Our waiter (Chris) was exceptional, explaining the ingredients of key dishes with clear passion for the food. His knowledge and excitement carried over into his overall table side manner, helping to make the entire evening a memorable one for both of us. We will definitely go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biga ReviewSTLGrannyDined on 9/4/2014There were 6 of us - in San Antonio for a convention -- great spot -- Casey gave great great service - perfect touch of friendly & efficient - food was exceptional - this is my 4th trip to San Antonio in last few years -- best meal I've had yet -- perfect for business entertainment or friendly dinner -- can't say enough good about this - the lamb was unbelievably good the steaks were perfect and the snapper was enjoyed as well. go there!!!Special Features: