Biga on the Banks
203 S. St. Mary's St.
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Biga on the Banks
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.biga.com/
- Phone: 2102250722
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bruce Auden
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Market St.
- Public Transit: Biga is located in the center of downtown San Antonio. Though we are walking distance from most downtown hotels, we are also conveniently located for any who wish to use the city's public transportation.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking available in front of the "INTERNATIONAL CENTER" 203 South St. Mary's Street at the corner of Market St. Guests are asked to pay for parking upon arrival.
A word from Biga on the Banks
Bruce Auden's award-winning BIGA ON THE BANKS is located in a spectacular setting in downtown San Antonio's modern International Center. Overlooking a romantic tree-canopied bend in the river, the historic and the new find common ground in Biga's dynamic re-emergence with ultra contemporary cuisine propelling San Antonio's recent ascent to a new level of River Walk dining. Gourmet Magazine named Biga one of the five best restaurants in Texas. Fine dining has never meant "fussy" to Chef Auden. Biga's ambiance is casual and relaxed - San Antonio style. Auden's celebrated culinary background, coupled with creative and energetic design, has marked Biga on the Banks as one of Texas' truly outstanding restaurants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Biga on the Banks - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Biga on the Banks reviews from OpenTable diners
235 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (179)fit for foodies (145)romantic (142)scenic view (124)notable wine list (109)great for outdoor dining (55)good for groups (45)neighborhood gem (33)late-night find (21)hot spot (20)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (11)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Highly recommend!MarianDined on 8/30/2014The salmon nachos are a must! I have never had chilled avocado soup before and it was divine. We ordered & shared 4 half entrees so it was like a mini tasting menu. All were delicious but our favorite was the pork tenderloin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodElitistErisDined on 8/28/2014The atmosphere was lovely and the food was absolutely wonderful. Our server, Chris, provide top notch customer service. He went so far as to bring us black napkins to avoid the white lint staying on our clothes. He was very attentive. He also made sure to check for allergies and to ensure our food was as ordered. The drum was great. I also had the Israeli cous cous which was phenomenal. One of my friends ordered the cheesy grits and was disappointed in the taste. Chris immediately replaced them with another order of the cous cous without the bacon. Then came dessert. 3 scoop sorbet with fruit. Had a wonderful time and will definitely be back! All my friends loved it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excelente experienciafoodloverDined on 8/27/2014gran combinacion de sabores excelente servicio ambiance inigualableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FindStenzDined on 8/26/2014We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and wanted a special dinner. The food and atmosphere were fantastic. Our server, Casey, was fabulous as well. This restaurant did not disappoint!Special Features:
- Biga on the BanksOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/23/2014The food and service was great. Good variety of items on the menu, plus most entrees had large/small portions. Love that! Warren was an excellent server. We were only in San Antonio 4 days, but had dinner at Biga twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- time2dineDined on 8/22/2014Went for Restaurant week and enjoyed a wonderful menu with wine pairings. My husband does not usually like crabmeat but he enjoyed the crabmeat and gruyere croquettes with frisee salad. The pork tenderloins and the sides were prepared perfectly and very tasty. We loved the dessert of chocolate mousse cake and who would have thought that a basil sorbet would taste so good and go well with the mousse and cherry compote. Always a great meal and great service here.Special Features:
- Big BigaJopac87Dined on 8/21/2014It was a throw-down Thursday, had a good meal with great company! A little pricey but the pork tenderloin and drinks were amazing (avoid the croquettes).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rush and pre-cook foodIntownDined on 8/19/2014Our first time at this restaurant. We felt really rush by the server with plenty of experience according to him (he started working since they opened 15 years ago) he even pick up the bill after we paid, while still talking with my wife. The food was ok, three meal courses were really quick, (it's seems short time of preparation, compared other high end cuisine restaurants that take longer time to prepare and COOK the food)
- delicious!tranbvelDined on 8/18/2014Didn't have much but what I had was really great and satisfying. The salmon nachos - a must try, and the cheese plate -was actually very filling - I got the bleu cheese, and it came with multiple accompaniments. I honestly didn't need anything else to eat. Servers could stand to loosen up a bit - mine in particular seemed far too formal. I know it's a very nice restaurant but it made the experience a bit uncomfortable. I will definitely go back next time in San Antonio.
- Excellent EverythingMandMDined on 8/17/2014Food was impeccable, service on par, and just a great atmosphere, looking over the Riverwalk. Excellent for dates, great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biga on the Banks scores againMrFestusDined on 8/17/2014The Restaurant Week menu was terrific, all the food was suberb, even the iced tea was worth a comment to our waiter, who was friendly and efficient. The drum was beautifully done, with a great-tasting butter-pecan sauce. That and the basil sorbet were my two favorite tastes.Special Features:
- Biga- Best Food and Experience EverLuvinBigaDined on 8/16/2014Our evening at Biga on the Banks was outstanding. Our waiter, Warren on Saturday, August 16th was exceptional. The entire experience was from the atmosphere to the food was the best we have ever had. I posted pics and descriptions on Facebook and had numerous comments. Our new favorite San Antonio restaurant. Wish there was one in Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerSouthtexanDined on 8/16/2014We had a party of 8 including one child. All of us loved the food and service. They offer lots of choices and different serving sizes. Prices are resonable also. We definitely would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in San AntonioTexasFoodieDined on 8/15/2014Much of the food in SA is average tourist fare- but there are exceptions. Biga is one such exception and I have yet to find a better fine dining restaurant in SA. Biga has an adventurous menu- bold choices like 11-spice Axis venison and Texas bouillabase. We had a 4-member party and we were all quite happy with the whole meal from excellent bread, to a Hatch chile soup, to the meats and seafood. Nice finish with sticky toffee pudding. Our server as Abel and he was informative and on the spot. My only complaint was that the lighting was a little too dark to see the wonderful food we were eating. I would recommend Biga to any serious diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biga on the BanksweddinganniversarytripDined on 8/15/2014Nice atmosphere - smart casual dress. Food was superb, waiter was informative and knowledgable about menu.Special Features:
- mikeDined on 8/15/2014We celebrated our anniversary and Biga made the evening very special. The waiter was excellent. My wife's steak was very good and my lamb was okay.
- Outstanding as always, with a twistBettereaterDined on 8/9/2014I have been going to Biga since it opened. Always a memorable dinner, however, i went last week and there was something new. Maybe it has been a while and I was unaware, but this is a new twist. You can not order half orders. This goes beyond the half order concept, I love their sea food bouillabaisse, I also love thier lamb. I got half orders of both, basically for the same price of one order. Outstanding. I know this is more of a generic review, however, you can not go wrong with either of the two above or anything on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth the MoneyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014When we first walked in, we were impressed. Didn't take long for that feeling to go away. Our waiter told us bread would be coming. 2 other tables were sat, received their bread but still none for us. Eventually after asking someone else were we able to get our bread. I ordered the ribeye and was told it was the last one. I ordered it med rare. When it came to the table it was on a sizzling hot plate!!! Who does this? My very expensive piece of steak was WAY over cooked. Now most restaurant, less then that caliber would have comped my meal, but I got a free desert. Very expensive restaurant, very disappointing. Will Never go back. My wife did have the lamb and said it was fabulous.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServicediscriminatingDined on 8/9/2014The food and service at Biga has been consistently excellent during several trips to the restaurant during the past two years. It is a lovely place for a romantic dinner or one with a group of friends. The restaurant is lively, not quiet. The outdoor balcony overlooking the river is lovely when the weather is mild. The wine list offers good variety in all price categories, and the wine prices are reasonable for a restaurant on the Riverwalk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!!JeepDined on 8/9/2014What a surprise. This place was recommended to us by a friedn and we found it to be absolutely wonderful. The food and service was impeccable. We had the Axis deer and quail and it was cooked to perfection. We will definately be back.Special Features:
- Fabulous!CarolynVIPDined on 8/7/2014You won't regret the time or money spent at Biga. It is the only place that I MUST go to when I visit San Antonio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday at Biga'sSugarMamaDined on 8/5/2014We took my father-in-law to Biga's for his birthday. Everyone loved their food, especially the orange salad, the steaks, creme brûlée and sticky toffee pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerdiningisfunDined on 8/4/2014Everything about our experience was enjoyable. The food was fantastic and service excellent. We would definitely return for special occasion dinner.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerMsLauraDined on 8/3/2014My husband and I were there on August 3rd to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We both chose Axis Deer Venison & Roasted Quail which was excellent. Our server, Warren, was excellent as well, very knowledgeable when I had questions about wine. I have other friends that will be staying on the Riverwalk later this month and I've already highly recommended your restaurant to them. We will definitely eat there again next time we are in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversay dinnerTinaDined on 8/2/2014This was our first time to Biga's and we loved it. The service was great and food better. We will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!DiningdivaDined on 8/2/2014What an experience! The food and service were impeccable. Because the menu is always changing, I'm looking forward to my next dining experience. The next time I'm in San Antonio, this will definitely be one of my dinner spots before leaving town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitSA14soloohiodinerDined on 8/1/2014During my first visit to San Antonio, I chose Biga on the Banks based on reviews from Fodor's. The service was excellent & the food & wine were outstanding. The staff were very friendly & went out of their way to make my visit memorable. I enjoyed my first visit so much I went back the next night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely DisappointedJHC07Dined on 7/30/2014Chose Biga for our 10th Anniversary Dinner and am very disappointed with our choice. The good... Food fits comfortably as a 4 star. My wife enjoyed her Mahi Mahi and salad. The corn pudding with my overly seasoned beef tips was delicious as was my mushroom soup. My son enjoyed the homemade breads - especially the corn bread. The young gentleman at the door was friendly /attentive. Ambience was great. Sat by the window with partial view of the river. The TERRIBLE... Service is everything and in our case it was atrocious. Waiter ignored us most of the evening and did not exchange a single pleasantry with us. Was an order taker making no attempt to engage us or 'sell' anything to us. Will not return.Special Features:
- Good restaurantMalinalliDined on 7/30/2014The food was very good and the experience pleasant. This restaurant has the potential to be a michelin starred restaurant but there are at least two things that need to be addressed. (1) Table covers are essential. (2) people wearing tennis shoes and t-shirts should not be allowed in this restaurant at dinner time. I understand that San Antonio is a tourist town but so is NYC and wearing a jacket for gentlemen is enforced in restaurants such as Le Cirque, Per Se, etc.Special Features:
- Great food and ServiceMeloDined on 7/28/2014This is a very special restaurant in San Antonio. It is on the River walk and you can see the boats coming by the whole time you are dining. The food is fantastic, with wonderful sauces and meals cooked to perfection. The wine list is extensive and reasonably priced. The service was impeccable with your water glass always full and the delivery of the entrees on time. We highly recommend this great place.Special Features:
- delicious!gf23Dined on 7/26/2014celebrated my 28th birthday and my boyfriend's completion of his MBA degree here. we ordered the scallop appetizer (which were FANTASTIC) the waiter brought out an additional complementary appetizer, which was a nice surprise. i ordered the venison and quail, which was tasty.. but the quail was the star of the plate, in my opinion. my boyfriend ordered a strip steak that sat atop a "corn pudding".. sooo tasty! i want to find the recipe for the corn pudding and eat it every day! we ordered a chocolate tres leches which was brought out with a candle and "happy birthday & congratulations" was written on the plate, which was very sweet (just like the dessert, yum!). great experience!Special Features:
- Lovely dining experiencekyneeDined on 7/26/2014We researched on yelp and found made a reservation to celebrate our anniversary. Upon arriving, we were immediately shown to our table which was against a bank of windows overlooking (you guessed it) the Riverwalk. The atmosphere in the restaurant was intimate and ambiant. A nearby table was celebrating a birthday and was a little loud when we first came in. We mentioned the noise to our server and she found us another table that was more quiet yet still had a view. The menu changes daily, we were told, depending on what is fresh prior to their opening for dinner. The food was delicious. The menu is set up where you can order a smaller portion and essentially try two featured entrees instead of one. Be sure to try the sticky toffee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Eat place if U visitFromARDined on 7/26/2014Great follow up with my reservation, service was excellent and the food was great. Drinkers are outstanding, sad to say they ran out of both the coolers we drank but the second choices were great as well. The noise level got a little too loud a few times but food and service made up for it. This is must eat place if you ever visit this city. Great Job!Special Features:
- ViewContractorVIPDined on 7/25/2014The view is really not very good the River is dirty and the building accross the way is ugly and vacant Concrete Floor in the restaurant does not add a lot to the experience
- THE PLACE LACKS AMBIENCE.STARCHILDDined on 7/25/2014THE RESTAURANT USED TO BE CHARMING WITH TABLE CLOTHS AND CANDLES. NOW IT IS A LITTLE DEPRESSING WITH THE HIDE AWAY BROWN TENT PRIVATE TABLES. The food and service was excellent. I would give it three stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummythepassionatereaderVIPDined on 7/23/2014We arrived late and were able to get the three course dinner that is available after nine. The restaurant nicely accomodated my friend who is a vegetarian and changed out the main dish just for her. Each dish was excellent. The panna cotta was devine.Special Features:
- Best downtown S.A.123ABCDined on 7/22/2014Michael knows his wine-chris provides professional service. The lamb is very good, duck was good but not as good as the lamb. very nice wine list.
- AmazingDannieDined on 7/21/2014Biga On The Banks is worth your special occasion, your date, or even just your stop-in with company. The service is top-notch without being evasive. The waiters are knowledgable and friendly. The food is delicious, and the chef changes it nightly. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a nice night out, or even just an experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestShirlsmorDined on 7/19/2014This is hands down the best restaurant we found in SA. Such creativity in formulating the dishes. Layers of flavor that reveal themselves in your mouth. Especially liked that many of the main courses can be served as half-portions, for those of us who love food, but not a lot of everything. Elegant, not pretentious, everything a quality restaurant should be.Special Features:
- Bigas first timeAdibDined on 7/18/2014GreT atmosphere Waiter Chris was 1st class Delicious lambSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.