Biga on the Banks
203 S. St. Mary's St.
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Biga on the Banks
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.biga.com/
- Phone: 2102250722
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bruce Auden
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Market St.
- Public Transit: Biga is located in the center of downtown San Antonio. Though we are walking distance from most downtown hotels, we are also conveniently located for any who wish to use the city's public transportation.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking available in front of the "INTERNATIONAL CENTER" 203 South St. Mary's Street at the corner of Market St. Guests are asked to pay for parking upon arrival.
A word from Biga on the Banks
Bruce Auden's award-winning BIGA ON THE BANKS is located in a spectacular setting in downtown San Antonio's modern International Center. Overlooking a romantic tree-canopied bend in the river, the historic and the new find common ground in Biga's dynamic re-emergence with ultra contemporary cuisine propelling San Antonio's recent ascent to a new level of River Walk dining. Gourmet Magazine named Biga one of the five best restaurants in Texas. Fine dining has never meant "fussy" to Chef Auden. Biga's ambiance is casual and relaxed - San Antonio style. Auden's celebrated culinary background, coupled with creative and energetic design, has marked Biga on the Banks as one of Texas' truly outstanding restaurants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Biga on the Banks - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Biga on the Banks reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (156)fit for foodies (134)romantic (122)scenic view (105)notable wine list (95)good for groups (43)great for outdoor dining (43)neighborhood gem (33)hot spot (23)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (10)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The place is first class but the food was not as good as I expected.Special Features:
- Pre-Symphony DiningTexasTerriersDined on 9/20/2014We had the prix fixe menu before going to the Symphony. The food and service were not quite up to their usual standards (my salmon was overcooked, and there was an error with one of the orders that another waiter had to fix since ours had disappeared), but I imagine that's because the place was packed. Service is always courteous, and the food is inventive and nicely presented. I would highly recommend this place on a night when there's not a major event at the Tobin Center, because you'll probably have a better experience. Ask for a table toward the back, away from the noisy bar. The tables in the back have a nice view over the River Walk as well. Still one of my favorite places.Special Features:
- Consistently Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014I have been eating at Biga since they were located in a little house on McCullough St. Bruce Auden consistently delivers food with outstanding flavors and uniquely creative touches.Special Features:
- Outstanding!Bbrfk74VIPDined on 9/19/2014Christopher made this first time visit truly special. He was very informative yet not intrusive. Very knowledgeable about the chef and restaurant history. The food was amazing. My husband & I tried the dishes that were different than we would normally try. Will go again the next time we're in San Antonio. Note: the reason the ambiance wasn't "outstanding" this time is we were seated at a table for two by the window looking out on the river walk which of course sounds perfect, but there was a lot of unfinished construction...but then of course that's temporary - next time everythin will be rated "outstanding".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014I was on vacation in San Amtonio and was looking for a couple of fine dining resturants. Biga was one listed. Food and atmosphere was great. I had the filet mignon with corn pudding. Dessert was the fabulous too. The English pudding was to die for! I highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth the ricejtav223Dined on 9/14/2014The meal was one of the best I have had and I am a Foodie.Whenever I travel I look for a great restaurant but am often dissapointed. The price fix was perfect,the portions were larger then expected for a top end restaurant, the drinks were large and more reasonable then on the river walk. My wife and I had different appetizers,man course and desert and shared each. We loved all 6 selections.Special Features:
- Great!FoodbaccaDined on 9/13/2014Great food, great staff, great views of the Riverwalk. If you can, get a seat next to the window. Prices are a little high but to be expected for fine dining. The wife and I got a couple cocktails and food for right around $125, but you could easily spend more. Perfect for a special occasion. Even better, you can wear jeans! You can't get much better than this in San Antonio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A river-walk DON'T MISS!!!MrWunderfulDined on 9/13/2014We had a party of (8) and all diners enjoyed the menu choices as well as their meals. The venison was a favorite.Special Features:
- Could not have been better!2forfoodDined on 9/13/2014Biga on the Banks is an outstanding restaurant that surpassed our expectations. We were treated like royalty by our server GiGi and all the other employees. If you truly appreciate great food, this is the place for you!Special Features:
- Great Service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Our server was awesome. He made our evening wonderful.Special Features:
- Great overall experienceelietDined on 9/8/2014The food, the ambiance and the wait staff were exceptional.Special Features:
- PerfectCrmillerDined on 9/6/2014Everything was just perfect! From being greeted at the door to the service to the food.. PERFECTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW is all I can say!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Food and service very high status....took good care of a situation that most restaurants would not have looked at twice....great manager and wait staff....amazing table and service from Warren....we had a great experience and was accommodated to appropriately...thank you and we will be back for the next visit to SA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaneDined on 9/5/2014The staff at Biga's does outstanding work making you feel at home. The food was prepared perfectly. We love the Mushrooms. It is hard to choose just one appetizer. They have a great wine selection . We drive from Austin just to have a meal.Special Features:
- Great Place, Great Food!FoodForMeDined on 9/5/2014My girlfriend and I celebrated both an anniversary and a birthday. Simply put, we had an amazing meal! Our waiter (Chris) was exceptional, explaining the ingredients of key dishes with clear passion for the food. His knowledge and excitement carried over into his overall table side manner, helping to make the entire evening a memorable one for both of us. We will definitely go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biga ReviewSTLGrannyDined on 9/4/2014There were 6 of us - in San Antonio for a convention -- great spot -- Casey gave great great service - perfect touch of friendly & efficient - food was exceptional - this is my 4th trip to San Antonio in last few years -- best meal I've had yet -- perfect for business entertainment or friendly dinner -- can't say enough good about this - the lamb was unbelievably good the steaks were perfect and the snapper was enjoyed as well. go there!!!Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationLuvgreatfoodDined on 9/3/2014Great fine dining experience for my birthday dinner! Was recommended the signature dish of lamb and it was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 31 Aug, Sun, 2014Nov92013EddieVsDined on 8/31/2014We had Foie Gras, Venison w/quail & Ahi Tuni (BBQ), a nice white (Pinot G) and 2 different reds -including Biga. The food was first rate as was the wine. We were sad we had no room for dessert, as the choices looked very promising. They make their own breads, and we sampled 3 different ones in their bread basket. Our server Danny was the perfect balance of knowledgeable, helpful, not too much hovering - but there when you needed him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend!MarianDined on 8/30/2014The salmon nachos are a must! I have never had chilled avocado soup before and it was divine. We ordered & shared 4 half entrees so it was like a mini tasting menu. All were delicious but our favorite was the pork tenderloin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodElitistErisDined on 8/28/2014The atmosphere was lovely and the food was absolutely wonderful. Our server, Chris, provide top notch customer service. He went so far as to bring us black napkins to avoid the white lint staying on our clothes. He was very attentive. He also made sure to check for allergies and to ensure our food was as ordered. The drum was great. I also had the Israeli cous cous which was phenomenal. One of my friends ordered the cheesy grits and was disappointed in the taste. Chris immediately replaced them with another order of the cous cous without the bacon. Then came dessert. 3 scoop sorbet with fruit. Had a wonderful time and will definitely be back! All my friends loved it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excelente experienciafoodloverDined on 8/27/2014gran combinacion de sabores excelente servicio ambiance inigualableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FindStenzDined on 8/26/2014We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and wanted a special dinner. The food and atmosphere were fantastic. Our server, Casey, was fabulous as well. This restaurant did not disappoint!Special Features:
- Biga on the BanksOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/23/2014The food and service was great. Good variety of items on the menu, plus most entrees had large/small portions. Love that! Warren was an excellent server. We were only in San Antonio 4 days, but had dinner at Biga twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- time2dineDined on 8/22/2014Went for Restaurant week and enjoyed a wonderful menu with wine pairings. My husband does not usually like crabmeat but he enjoyed the crabmeat and gruyere croquettes with frisee salad. The pork tenderloins and the sides were prepared perfectly and very tasty. We loved the dessert of chocolate mousse cake and who would have thought that a basil sorbet would taste so good and go well with the mousse and cherry compote. Always a great meal and great service here.Special Features:
- Big BigaJopac87Dined on 8/21/2014It was a throw-down Thursday, had a good meal with great company! A little pricey but the pork tenderloin and drinks were amazing (avoid the croquettes).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rush and pre-cook foodIntownDined on 8/19/2014Our first time at this restaurant. We felt really rush by the server with plenty of experience according to him (he started working since they opened 15 years ago) he even pick up the bill after we paid, while still talking with my wife. The food was ok, three meal courses were really quick, (it's seems short time of preparation, compared other high end cuisine restaurants that take longer time to prepare and COOK the food)
- delicious!tranbvelDined on 8/18/2014Didn't have much but what I had was really great and satisfying. The salmon nachos - a must try, and the cheese plate -was actually very filling - I got the bleu cheese, and it came with multiple accompaniments. I honestly didn't need anything else to eat. Servers could stand to loosen up a bit - mine in particular seemed far too formal. I know it's a very nice restaurant but it made the experience a bit uncomfortable. I will definitely go back next time in San Antonio.
- Excellent EverythingMandMDined on 8/17/2014Food was impeccable, service on par, and just a great atmosphere, looking over the Riverwalk. Excellent for dates, great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biga on the Banks scores againMrFestusDined on 8/17/2014The Restaurant Week menu was terrific, all the food was suberb, even the iced tea was worth a comment to our waiter, who was friendly and efficient. The drum was beautifully done, with a great-tasting butter-pecan sauce. That and the basil sorbet were my two favorite tastes.Special Features:
- Biga- Best Food and Experience EverLuvinBigaDined on 8/16/2014Our evening at Biga on the Banks was outstanding. Our waiter, Warren on Saturday, August 16th was exceptional. The entire experience was from the atmosphere to the food was the best we have ever had. I posted pics and descriptions on Facebook and had numerous comments. Our new favorite San Antonio restaurant. Wish there was one in Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerSouthtexanDined on 8/16/2014We had a party of 8 including one child. All of us loved the food and service. They offer lots of choices and different serving sizes. Prices are resonable also. We definitely would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in San AntonioTexasFoodieDined on 8/15/2014Much of the food in SA is average tourist fare- but there are exceptions. Biga is one such exception and I have yet to find a better fine dining restaurant in SA. Biga has an adventurous menu- bold choices like 11-spice Axis venison and Texas bouillabase. We had a 4-member party and we were all quite happy with the whole meal from excellent bread, to a Hatch chile soup, to the meats and seafood. Nice finish with sticky toffee pudding. Our server as Abel and he was informative and on the spot. My only complaint was that the lighting was a little too dark to see the wonderful food we were eating. I would recommend Biga to any serious diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biga on the BanksweddinganniversarytripDined on 8/15/2014Nice atmosphere - smart casual dress. Food was superb, waiter was informative and knowledgable about menu.Special Features:
- mikeDined on 8/15/2014We celebrated our anniversary and Biga made the evening very special. The waiter was excellent. My wife's steak was very good and my lamb was okay.
- Outstanding as always, with a twistBettereaterDined on 8/9/2014I have been going to Biga since it opened. Always a memorable dinner, however, i went last week and there was something new. Maybe it has been a while and I was unaware, but this is a new twist. You can not order half orders. This goes beyond the half order concept, I love their sea food bouillabaisse, I also love thier lamb. I got half orders of both, basically for the same price of one order. Outstanding. I know this is more of a generic review, however, you can not go wrong with either of the two above or anything on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth the MoneyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014When we first walked in, we were impressed. Didn't take long for that feeling to go away. Our waiter told us bread would be coming. 2 other tables were sat, received their bread but still none for us. Eventually after asking someone else were we able to get our bread. I ordered the ribeye and was told it was the last one. I ordered it med rare. When it came to the table it was on a sizzling hot plate!!! Who does this? My very expensive piece of steak was WAY over cooked. Now most restaurant, less then that caliber would have comped my meal, but I got a free desert. Very expensive restaurant, very disappointing. Will Never go back. My wife did have the lamb and said it was fabulous.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServicediscriminatingDined on 8/9/2014The food and service at Biga has been consistently excellent during several trips to the restaurant during the past two years. It is a lovely place for a romantic dinner or one with a group of friends. The restaurant is lively, not quiet. The outdoor balcony overlooking the river is lovely when the weather is mild. The wine list offers good variety in all price categories, and the wine prices are reasonable for a restaurant on the Riverwalk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!!JeepDined on 8/9/2014What a surprise. This place was recommended to us by a friedn and we found it to be absolutely wonderful. The food and service was impeccable. We had the Axis deer and quail and it was cooked to perfection. We will definately be back.Special Features:
- Fabulous!CarolynVIPDined on 8/7/2014You won't regret the time or money spent at Biga. It is the only place that I MUST go to when I visit San Antonio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday at Biga'sSugarMamaDined on 8/5/2014We took my father-in-law to Biga's for his birthday. Everyone loved their food, especially the orange salad, the steaks, creme brûlée and sticky toffee pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.