Biga on the Banks
203 S. St. Mary's St.
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Biga on the Banks
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.biga.com/
- Phone: (210) 225-0722
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bruce Auden
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Market St.
- Public Transit: Biga is located in the center of downtown San Antonio. Though we are walking distance from most downtown hotels, we are also conveniently located for any who wish to use the city's public transportation.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking available in front of the "INTERNATIONAL CENTER" 203 South St. Mary's Street at the corner of Market St. Guests are asked to pay for parking upon arrival.
A word from Biga on the Banks
Bruce Auden's award-winning BIGA ON THE BANKS is located in a spectacular setting in downtown San Antonio's modern International Center. Overlooking a romantic tree-canopied bend in the river, the historic and the new find common ground in Biga's dynamic re-emergence with ultra contemporary cuisine propelling San Antonio's recent ascent to a new level of River Walk dining. Gourmet Magazine named Biga one of the five best restaurants in Texas. Fine dining has never meant "fussy" to Chef Auden. Biga's ambiance is casual and relaxed - San Antonio style. Auden's celebrated culinary background, coupled with creative and energetic design, has marked Biga on the Banks as one of Texas' truly outstanding restaurants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Biga on the Banks - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Biga on the Banks reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (156)fit for foodies (138)romantic (126)notable wine list (100)scenic view (83)good for groups (44)great for outdoor dining (41)hot spot (31)neighborhood gem (29)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (7)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Did not meet expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014Used prior reviews as gauge. Felt that this may be a good place for our 25th anniversary dinner. It did not meet our expectations. The best thing was the service. Attentive and on top of everything. That is the best of it. The food was on par for a neighborhood franchise establishment. My wife's Tuna was good, only good. My steak, although cooked perfectly was flavorless and tough. Not to be expected from a $43 Ribeye. The manager did take the steak off the bill, but I am obligated to be honest when reviewing any restaurant. Also they advertise a romantic view of the Riverwalk. I cannot see there ever being a romantic view of this area of the Riverwalk, and San Antonio's improvement construction has taken almost all the view of the river, romantic or not. I don't think we will be going there again.
- Great weekendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We took our friends, Oniksha and Paul, there for Oniksha birthday. We enjoyed the atmosphere, drinks and food. Also, we had an outstanding waiter, Robbie. We had a play to attended afterwards, they ensured us that we will make it on time. We did. It was no rush. The restaurant was a great start to a wonderful weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2014Biga is a very good upscale restaurant. The food, the service, and the ambiance are always good. They have never disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biga nicest place along riverwalkoaktowndinerDined on 11/9/2014As a first-time visitor to San Antonio, Biga was our best dining experience. Warm welcoming atmosphere, attentive service, broad menu choices, delicious food. Hard to find the entrance.Special Features:
- BentleyeaterDined on 11/8/2014Our first time we loved the place. The service was amazing at first they over cooked a very expensive steak but they did everythin in their power to make it right. I give kudos to the manager for handling the situation...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- redheadDined on 11/7/2014We had dinner at the Chef table. Very interesting and very good.Special Features:
- A Winner AgainTeksizVIPDined on 11/7/2014This was my third time at Biga, and it was great as usual. I took some friends who had never been to San Antonio before, and they were impressed--pictured a lot of Mexican and BBQ, I guess. I had a steak, the expensive one that was aged 45 days or something, and it was yuuuuummmmy. Everything was really top-notch. We sat inside because it was a little chilly, but dining outside is a treat in nice fall or spring weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good but a Little OverpricedAltGirlTXDined on 11/7/2014This is the second time I've dined at Biga on the Banks, and it is definitely a very good restaurant overall - ambiance, service, food, cocktail and wine lists. It is much less touristy than many downtown spots, so being local I enjoy it for nice dinners with friends and out-of-town guests. The chef is a multiple James Beard nominee, and the creativity of the menu reflects that, but it still has the variety that many acclaimed chefs eschew. On this visit, my black pepper seared Ahi with Brussel Sprouts, beets, and butternut squash puree was very good, if the necessity of a rare fish meant the vegetables and puree weren't very warm. However, my friend ordered a rare steak and said it was a tad overcooked but an excellent cut.Special Features:
- Biga is the screaming nuts!PossumDined on 11/4/2014Biga consistently provides the best meals I've ever had each and every time. Everything they serve is perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was PerfectJTSledgeDined on 11/4/2014We went to Biga's for our 2nd anniversary and everything was perfect as usual. The food and service were excellent, a perfect place for a romantic dinner. Will remain one of our favorite restaurants in town.Special Features:
- Great placeIndyFoodieDined on 11/4/2014Biga was great in all areas! Our server was great and engaging. Food options were of the kind you might only find at a high end restaurant in Vegas. Outstanding!! I will be going back to Biga next time I'm in San Antonio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem on the RiverHelgaDined on 11/1/2014Have dined at Biga on the Banks for many years. Food and service is always superb. Thank you Chris, our server, who was very attentive.Special Features:
- A must wnen in San AntonioZorro47VIPDined on 10/31/2014We were pleased with Biga's food, ambiance and service. The fried oysters on black linguini were superb and the main courses delicious and beautifully presented. A good place to go with your spouse or date. Take your friend to introduce them to San Antonio "Good Cuisine"Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/30/2014Wonderful food! We dined outside overlooking Riverwalk , our party of four has diverse tastes and everyone loved it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ all around!Fitt2BafoodieVIPDined on 10/26/2014We came here to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. We sat on the patio overlooking the river. Our server Tucker was fantastic! Prompt service, great recommendations. The fios gras was beautifully presented (we've had this a five star restsurants in NYC and LA and this was the best presentation by far) my husband had the Quail and antelope with roasted chestnuts and brussles sprouts with a goat cheese torte every bite was decadent. I had beef tips with corn pudding, poblanos and a rich Demi glaze. The gran mariner soufflé was divine! They even bought us champagne for a special toast. This spot is an A+ if your in San Antonio you must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingBostonSoxFanDined on 10/23/2014Excellent service including wine director reviewing specific wines and helping with the selection. He returned to table many times to check in on us and gave us a tasting of a rare Malbec at end of dinner. Food was excellent and cooked to order. Best dinner in San Antonio over a 6 night stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining at it's BestLocalVIPDined on 10/20/2014Visiting San Antonio for the first time and heard about Biga. Was pleasantly surprised to find a unique menu that the chef changes daily. Food was excellent and very flavourfull without being heavy or over the top with seasoning and or butter. All organic foods are used and server explains each dish quite competently. Food and wine priced appropriately - service was impeccable. Many private dining rooms availableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not at all what we expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/19/2014The meals were not as we expected. The Mahi Mahi was a beautiful piece of fish, with just the lobster sauce and some basic potatoes or something would have been fine but the polenta with chirizo was awful. The game packets, you didn't even know it was game in there, very strange. The fois gras was nicely done and the quail was tasty. The venison again, too many spices and you weren't sure it was venison. Disappointing. The service was off, flashlights in the face, shaking hands, all a bit strange.
- Nice eveningFleamomDined on 10/19/2014Warren our server was great and the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great Birthday Celebration Dinner!DVH47Dined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed a spectacular dinner at Biga on the Banks as we celebrated my wife's birthday. The service was really first rate and the food was delicious! I had the pork loin and my wife tried the chicken. Both dishes were beautifully prepared and presented. The wine list was extensive and we enjoyed a wonderful cabernet (Shafer One Point Five) with our meal. We were especially impressed with the wait staff ... the service was simply excellent. One slightly sour note was that our table was in a rather tight space next to a rack of gourds, and even though we were next to the window, the patio tables made it difficult to validate that we were actually "on the banks" of the River Walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleredroCDined on 10/18/2014We arrived way too early, but were seated immediately. The service was incredible and the food was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IT DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN THISjerseyfoodieVIPDined on 10/17/2014My friend and I had the 8 course tasting menu with wine pairing and were both blown away! The bouillabaisse...best I ever had! Crab cake...best I ever had! Sticky toffee pudding...best I ever had!. That does not even mean that these were my favorite dishes...as the spring roll, lamb, and venison were all outstanding as well. I cannot put in one review how excellent everything was because I do not have enough characters to do so. All I can say is...GET TO THIS PLACE AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!! Our service was also excellent. Tucker was attentive, knowledgeable, and had an incredible personality. He knew when to step in and attend us and when to walk away. Hats off to the chef-owner above all...his glowing reputation still does not do him justice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!RichDined on 10/15/2014This is slightly off the beaten path on the Riverwalk, which is a good thing if you want to get away from the "bar scene" vibe that the river walk has become. Food was exceptional (we had sushi grade salmon for an appetizer, and of course seared tuna...), although not exactly cheap. Definitely try the sticky toffee pudding for dessert. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DCACDCDined on 10/14/2014BIGA has to be the most amazing place I have ever been to. The while experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bill73Dined on 10/11/2014Most of the food was great, but the lamb rack was just OK. We were seated outside at first, at night, but could not read the menu or see the food. They moved us inside but it was still too dark. Waiter forgot our souffle order. Expected better for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice romantic spotSaltnpepperDined on 10/11/2014Waiter was very helpful. Nice atmosphere. Good libatiations and food. Lettuce wraps with venison were especially good for appetizer.Special Features:
- LisaDined on 10/9/2014Food was really good, it was a bit dark outside. service was nice and we got to greet the chef!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/8/2014I was traveling here for work and went with a co-worker for dinner! We loved the warm spinach salad, both of us thought our meals were fantastic. The service was excellent as well, we even considered going back another night! Easily my best meal during my 5 day stay!Special Features:
- Birthday at BigaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014Our kids gave us a gift certificate for dinner at Biga to celebrate our 65th birthdays and a return visit to San Antonio. It did not disappoint. The food was delicious and the manager stopped by to make sure everything was okay. Our waiter was excellent - just the right blend of attentive without being intrusive. Only small quibble was the sun was in my eyes for a short while and there are no blinds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!WillyODined on 10/7/2014I have not been in San Antonio in a few years, so I relied on Open Table, as I usually do. I read the reviews for Biga on the Banks and reviewed the menu and customer reviews, and was not disappointed. I dined outdoors over the Bank of the River Walk and it was peaceful and serene. The staff was extremely attentive and did not "hover" as many do. I began with the Spinach Salad, which can be...OK. It was terrific! I then ordered the Pork Tenderloin, which was probably the best I have ever had. Overall, my experience was very impressive and I will be back again before my time in San Antonio is over. Can't wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic, special dinnerMexglxDined on 10/6/2014Wife and I were visiting from out of town and I asked about upscale and GOOD place to eat. We were recommended Biga and we really enjoyed it. We used to enjoy high end, chef owned restaurants before our child was born and we really enjoyed this evening while the grandparents baby sat for us. Yes it was pricey. The menu was very creative. I enjoyed the Axxis deer steak tremendously!! My wife thought I hit a homerun with this choice.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceJencatDined on 10/6/2014A friend and I were in town for work and checked out the restaurants on Open Table in the Fit for Foodies category. She had heard of Biga on the Banks and the menu on the web site looked intriguing, so we thought we'd give it a try. The first thing that impressed us is that our waiter had been there for 15 years and was really passionate about the chef and the food. I'm impressed by any place that inspires that kind of loyalty and passion. We went with his recommendations for the lamb and bouillabaisse and LOVED our meals! He also gave us perfect wine recommendations. Oh, and don't ignore the bread basket. The corn bread and focaccia are really good. If you can, save room for dessert. The sampler I had was perfect.Special Features:
- DisappointedSunny2Dined on 10/4/2014Service was friendly but neglectful. Entrees took over an hour to arrive and were unimpressive. Previous positive reviews were misleading.
- Perfect eveningvalgaltxDined on 10/4/2014What a treat! We had exceptional service from Chris; the food was so delicious; the tables were intimate and romantic; the overall feel was that we had gone out for a very special event and it was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- River walk delightDatenightDined on 10/3/2014Visited the location for my anniversary. Ambiance was good, nice selection of wine and a good assortment of meals to choose from. Would recommend if you were there for personal or businessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!MeredithDined on 10/3/2014We had the axis, quail and salmon. They were all divine and would recommend to anyone. The bread offered in the beginning was heavenly. We even snuck in a few drinks. Our whole experience was delightful and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biga is one of SA's best!DateNightVIPDined on 10/2/2014Fantastic dining experience. Highest possible recommendation - you will not be disappointed. Ask to be served by Chris - best of the best!Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!MaineDined on 9/29/2014Went here for my husband's birthday. I asked for a nice table through Open Table and they really came through. We had a nice secluded table that made the night extra special. Food was outstanding. Service was very pleasant. Sticky toffee pudding for dessert is a must,Special Features:
- Warm martini's.drrfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Overall a very good restaraunt but can't figure out why when you specifically ask for a extra cold martini they bring you a luke warm one?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little dryWinnerwinnerchickendinnerDined on 9/27/2014The pork tenderloin was dry and the cauliflower lacked flavor. The bread was good. The corn pudding is also a great choice for a side.Special Features: