Big Rock Chop House
245 S. Eton Street
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Big Rock Chop House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bigrockchophouse.com/
- Phone: (248) 647-7774
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday: Noon - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brian Henson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Big Rock Chop House can assist in planning any size event from start to finish. Big Rock is beer & wine licensed.
- Private Party Facilities: Big Rock Chop House offers 6 vivid & distinct rooms that can accommodate from 15 to 400 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Kucher 2486477774x102
- Entertainment: Live entertainment in Got Rocks every Friday and Saturday evening.
A word from Big Rock Chop House
Formerly Norman's Eton Street Station, Big Rock Chop House combines the rustic, casual feel of a mountain lodge with the high-energy of a contemporary club, an eclectic mix unlike any other Metro Detroit dining experience, The menu bursts with enormous, hand-cut, aged steaks & chops, including a 24oz Porterhouse, a 16oz Kansas City Strip Steak, a 20oz or 32oz Jumbo Bone-In Rib Eye, a 12oz Filet Mignon, Center Cut Pork Chops, double cut Lamb Chops & a 16oz Veal Porterhouse Chop. Other selections include Rocky Mountain Chicken, Canadian Whitefish & Dover Sole presented tableside. Adjoining the restaurant is a brew house, with custom, state-of-the-art equipment. Award-winning brew master Dan Rogers has created 4 signature beers to compliment the restaurant's distinctive American fare: Norm's Raggedy Ass Ale, Raymondo El Rojo, Flying Buffalo Stout & Weizenheimer Hefe Weizen. In addition to these, Rogers adds a seasonal & specialty brew to the bar, which he changes frequently.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Big Rock Chop House - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Big Rock Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (41)fit for foodies (35)romantic (28)notable wine list (27)great for outdoor dining (26)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (22)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (17)scenic view (6)late-night find (6)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Always TastylizthearchitectVIPDined on 11/22/2014Never have to worry about not getting great service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing dining experience.DiappointedDined on 11/21/2014Our recent experience at Big Rock was extremely disappointing. The food was very good, however the service and follow up by the manager was horrible. When dining at an establishment where we ordered a $65 steak, one would expect IMPECCABLE service. Our server was extremely inattentive and when I brought this matter to the manager his response was weak and pathetic. It will be a long time before we choose the Big Rock as our dining destination.
- Go and try it out!jmadoVIPDined on 11/8/2014Big Rock Chop House is not as frequented or well-known as it should be! My husband and I love the impeccable service, unique décor, and inspired menu featuring good fish and game. I wish I worked nearby to visit the bar but we go for romantic dinners. The wine list is fantastic as long as you're looking at the reserve list but I'm not a fan of the desert menu - having a cappuccino or one of the desert wines is better.Special Features:
- Expected a lot moreFoodieDined on 11/8/2014Overall, brch was not all I expected it to be. It was way over priced for minimal portions. $200 and me & my boyfriend were not even full. It was good service but I would not go there again. I got a 22 oz steak and only 6 oz of it was actual meat. My boyfriend got lamb chops and he finished both of them in about 4 bites. Very small and unsatisfying meal. Upset that we wasted our 2 year anniversary dinner some place that wasn't all that it was knocked up to be.Special Features:
- Great date night dinnerPc336Dined on 11/1/2014Had a great evening at big rock. It was a date night dinner with my girlfriend as I was about to have surgery and would be laid up for a few months . Start to finish it was very enjoyable, cocktails were perfect. Our dinners were excellent, and the stand out above all was Dave our waiter. Top notch in his recommendations , attentive service, and a delightful demeanor. He was truly an enhancement to our dining experience, and I will request him every time I return to big rock. I would recommend to anyone looking for a lovely night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food could have been betterGreatplaceoverallDined on 11/1/2014the food could have had more flavor. My wife had the chicken which was a little underdone, but moist and it had no marinated flavors. Service was awesome, ambiance even better. Will give it another trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what happened?GrazieVIPDined on 10/30/2014We will never go back to Big Rock………4 people and none of us thought the food was good. I had steak bites that were so tough I couldn't eat most of them, plus no taste. What happened to a local favorite?Special Features:
- So soFoodie1982Dined on 10/24/2014Over the top with dimmed lights. Server was hilarous but slow- several other people checked on us during our dinner. Salmon was way too fishy for my liking. Always wanted to try the place but probably won't return.Special Features:
- Sounded better than it tastedArtsyDined on 10/24/2014Service was great. It's a beautiful space too. Not too noisy in the dining room but the bar was hopping. The bread basket was fabulous. We ordered salads which was probably a mistake for a chop house but even so, we expected a bit more. The grain salad was good but the Asian cabbage salad was very bland, mostly cabbage. It sounded better than it tasted. The sweet potato wedges were fine but again too bland and pretty pricey for what they were. The pumpkin desert pieces sounded great and overall were although they were all served separated which we thought was odd, and the bacon ice cream and bacon pieces of the pumpkin desert didn't suit it well either, but that's just our humble opinion.Special Features:
- Good-Not-GreatRachelBVIPDined on 10/8/2014We frequent fine dining restaurants but Big Rock puzzled me. I don't understand the decor-it seemed like a rustic/cabin in the woods design gone wrong, but that is obviously purely subjective. Service was a little off-every time we would want to ask the server a question she was gone when we looked up. She never came back to see how our entrees were. The food was okay-nothing special at all. I will say that they do have a great wine list. We might give it another try some time in the future but we definitely prefer other steakhouses in the same price range.Special Features:
- foodfreakVIPDined on 9/25/2014Another great experience at Big Rock. The patio is among the best in town and the generous drinks, great wine list and imaginative menu makes it all good. For appetizers, the seared tuna and chicken fingers are to die and the burger, fish choices, salads and sides are all great. We love the Rocket salad and the grain salad, and the green beans are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always gooddamicoDined on 9/19/2014You can always count on Big Rock. Quality food, service and atmosphere. The specials are very tempting, though you can never go wrong ordering from the menu.Special Features:
- Ambience! Style and Great FoodElaine1Dined on 9/19/2014The Brussels sprout and duck appetizer was amazing! Ceiling lighting in soft hues was unusual and created a warm atmosphere which we really enjoyed.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!ChanelDined on 9/16/2014Big rock is a great place to visit!! Their steaks are phenomenal, always served to perfection!! The sides are great as well. Staff is friendly and they act as if they know you or are having dinner with you. Big rock is a restaurant that is always an option for me and I always return with nothing but satisfied results! Thank you Big Rock!Special Features:
- Highly RecommendRachelVDined on 9/16/2014My husband and I dined in and we're immediately greeted with smiling faces. Every employee was kind and courteous. Our waiter was very friendly, personable, and attentive. The food was to die for. Neither one of us had a bad bite. Everything was exceptional and we will definitely be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Subpar servicemtgkVIPDined on 9/16/2014Food good but spent over $ 350 for 4 and after 4o min had track down server for drinks. Never asked how was everything until check was brought
- Amazing zip sauceStanley123Dined on 9/13/2014Great steaks lovw the zip sauce. Muxh better than newer places in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Rocky Night....ZitiVIPDined on 9/13/2014Despite description in Open Table app, there is no self-parking (limited or otherwise) so we were left to roam the neighborhood to find street parking where I didn't have to turn over a stick-shift sports car to a valet. Medium well duck was served rare, never should have left the kitchen so obviously at the wrong temperature. Buffalo strip was perfect and very good, but was eaten alone while duck was re-cooked. Side dish was completely forgotten by staff, so we canceled it halfway through the main course. We were first told no truffles available for dessert, but waiter asked for a chance to look further, and then found two to serve. Last strike was being reported as an Open Table "no show" after the hostess didn't mark our name online.Special Features:
- Birthday funmimosamommaVIPDined on 9/5/2014We started our evening on the beautiful torch lit patio . With a quickly approaching storm the entire staff moved us all within seconds and we were settled into on of the restaurants top tables. We began our evening with champagne and cocktails . As recommended by our server we shared a bottle of wine . We fined on steak and duck following a platter of oysters. Dinner was topped with a sanders chocolate cream puff and cappuccino .Special Features:
- SaladThetfordDined on 8/29/2014Excellent!! However, baby kale salad was missing ingredient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCarissaDined on 8/23/2014My boyfriend and I have dined at Big Rock for 6+ years. We don't come here regularly, but always visit for my boyfriend's birthday since he enjoys the beer and the food. Normally, everything is fantastic. The steak is phenomenal, the sides are plentiful, and the service is great. When we came on 8/23, this was not the case. B's bone in fillet was okay. We've had better, less expensive fillets at other restaurants in the area. And our $8 side of mashed potatoes was extremely overpriced for the portion we received. We noticed the prices have gone up and potion sizes have gone down since our last visit. We will be rethinking our next visit and will most likely chose another restaurant whose prices match the quality and quantity of the food.Special Features:
- Great Outdoor Diningbi5477Dined on 8/23/2014I find this to be the best steak house in Birmingham. My wife went for the trout special tonight and it too was cooked to perfection!Special Features:
- Worth another shotCushionPeakDined on 8/20/2014Selected this establishment based on OpenTable reviews. Lively crowd, classy and comfortable atmosphere, and a very impressive wine list; there are a multitude of awesome selections that will not break the bank. We started with the Calamari and Steak Bites and both were excellent. For entrees, everyone at the table loved the Tenderloin Filet; I went off the beaten track with the lamb chops. Attractive presentation and generous portion, but the protein had no flavor whatsoever once you got past the mustard rub. Overall, the experience (especially the wines!!!) warrants another visit. Next time I'll select a traditional main course.Special Features:
- foodfreakVIPDined on 8/19/2014Once more a wonderful experience. Great food, amazing service, generous drinks and interesting and affordable wine choices. We love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with the boyfriendverbalDined on 8/16/2014We have been doing more fine dining and forgot about the Chop House.... The food was good, the waitress knew the menu well. The ONLY negative is that we had just barely finished our salad when she plopped the main course down...... I had to tell her to take the dinners back to the warmers int he kitchen as I still had two more bits of salad . Her initial response was,, oh I can move it here to the side ( the salad) and put your dinner down?! Other than making this feel like an inexpensive dinner rush..... or attempted to... I enjoyed the food very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was excellent exceptflorida1Dined on 8/15/2014our seating arrangement. We had asked to sit outside and it was confirmed and I was also called by a hostess the day of the dinner and confirmed again that we would sit outside. Upon arrival we were told that it wasn't possible and offered a table inside that should have been for 4 but they squeezed the six of us into it and we were extremely uncomfortable. No way would we stay for dessert and coffee. Other than that the food was excellent and our waitress outstanding.Special Features:
- ServiceLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/6/2014We couldn't have asked for a more friendly and professional waiter than Mitchell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsSummermemoriesDined on 8/2/2014Big Rock was a last minute choice to have dinner with friends we haven't seen for a while, Everyone loved it. Although I've been to Big Rock a few times before I always look forward to coming back. The food, cocktails and service was exceptional. Our server, Mr. Fragale was very efficient, knowledgeable and fun! He definitely help make it a great night foe us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfreakVIPDined on 8/2/2014As usual we were welcomed with open arms. The food is always good, and prepared as ordered, the drinks are generous and the wine choices wonderful and affordable. An added bonus is that Big Rock is very kid friendly and the food is served to them quickly to avoid melt-downs. We love the house smoked salmon, tuna appetizer and chicken finger appetizer. The nuts and grains salad is delicious as is the rocket salad, and the burgers, steaks, salmon, tuna and lamb are wonderful. We will never get tired of this place.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantCollMeisterDined on 8/2/2014Incredible food, wonderful service and a great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 447 reviews are from the Big Rock Chop House reviews archive.
- Excellent first experienceFoodie1Dined on 7/26/2014We went to the Big Rock for the first time to celebrate our 23rd anniversary. We never knew this place was such a gem. By all measures, this place scored perfect in each category (we are 'foodies' and have been to all the competition I assure you). From the appetizers to the main course and into dessert, all the food excellent! Our server was very attentive and required no reminders (ie refills) during our meal. I actually commented to my wife that he came back literally within 30 seconds when I asked him for a little horseradish-do delays or reminding. The restaurant is very cozy-it was open yet felt like you were not in a big open space, which had a certain romantic feeling to it. We would definitely recommend the Big Rock!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mix of new and oldxfighterpilotDined on 7/18/2014Loved the curb appeal, décor, and tie to the building's past as a train station. But at the same time, the vibrant colors, lighting, and crisp table linens gave it a fresh and modern look too. Our waiter was knowledgeable, sensitive to our desire to catch up with our guests (we flew in from out of town) before getting started on discussing menu options, etc. The food selection was what I would have expected and were a good value for the pricing. The wine selection was not huge but a nice variety and the pricing very reasonable for brands I have paid more for at other restaurants. All-in-all I was very happy to have selected this restaurant for our special dinner (their website was good too). I will definitely dine there again.Special Features:
- A Special EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014We've been going to Big Rock for years and have never had a bad experience. This latest night out was our 32nd anniversary and our server Mitchell really helped make it a great evening. Helping with the wine selection (it was fantastic), suggesting different menu combinations - the food was wonderful and he even had our dessert customized. And as always the service was flawless. You can spend less in some places, a bit more in others, but Big Rocks menu and personnel make dining out there worth the price every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An extraordinary lunchmimosamommaVIPDined on 7/16/2014Tucked away in the beautiful neighborhood of Birmingham one discovers this serene patio and upscale eatery . We were immediately greeted and seated by the hostess. Our server allowed us a leisurely review of the menu. We were able to select from both the lunch and dinner menus . Combing the 2 gave us a variety of appetizers and entrees. We sipped on fine wine and started with the amazing Caesar salads . We followed with a tasty bread basket . We dined on ahi tuna and salmon . We always enjoy cappuccino here as it is complemented by a sweet biscotti . We hope to return for another fair weather visit .Special Features:
- 3rd time here and not disappointedSDicken179VIPDined on 7/14/2014Fantastic place and food/service phenomenal! Try the Kobe sirloin,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chips mamaHappyladyVIPDined on 7/5/2014Had my family there for lunch, came right when opening.. Not sure if kitchen wasn't ready but since there were only 2 tables, it took forever to get our food.. Luckily we weren't pressed for timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Customer ServiceDunnjer1Dined on 6/28/2014Big Rock puts a great product on the table. We sat on the patio on a beautiful Saturday night and had a great time. There were a few issues with our food - undercooked Salmon served to a pregnant woman which is a recipe for disaster, and a forgotten side dish, however our Waitress and the Manager did everything in their power to make sure we were taken care of, including deleting both dishes off our final bill, as well as buying us dessert. There's an old saying: everybody makes mistakes, it's how you fix those mistakes that matters most. The staff at Big Rock definitely understands this concept, and at the end of the day we left extremely satisfied and I will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Not bad but not great for the priceluv2dinebutnothereDined on 6/28/2014We hadn't been here in years, so we thought we would try it again for my husband's birthday. Over priced food that was good but not great. Lacked in flavor and juice for my halibut and my husband's filet. Just wasn't impressed. We appreciated the free dessert for his b-day, but thought it was a lazy thought out snickers cake. Sorry! Just had better expectations for a place that's supposed to be classy. Wasn't impressed 10 years and ago and 10 years later, still not impressed.
- foodfreakVIPDined on 6/24/2014This place has all the ingredients for greatness and it never disappoints. The venue is warm & inviting, the wait staff competent & friendly, the food delicious & the wines & liquors varied & affordable. We loved the whitefish special, strip steak, tuna tartare & fresh, plump oysters. Our Grandchildren were treated wonderfully, too & their meals were brought promptly to avoid the inevitable meltdowns & increase our dining pleasure. This is our "Go-To" place & will always be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks great but lunch service poorTamDenDined on 6/21/2014For the number of staff walking around and the relatively small number of customers, the lunch service was certainly slow. We waited a long time for service and also a long time between servings. The waitress had a good attitude when she was attending us, but the hostess was a little stuffy and seemed a little bit angry at the time we were there, didn't make eye contact. Dinner Steaks and Bread were awesome, but other lunch sandwiches were just okay. We only wished Ruth's Chris or Morton's were opened for lunch. Too many other great options nearby to consider going back. From an out-of-town visitor.