Big Rock Chop House
245 S. Eton Street
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Big Rock Chop House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bigrockchophouse.com/
- Phone: 2486477774
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday: Noon - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brian Henson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Big Rock Chop House can assist in planning any size event from start to finish. Big Rock is beer & wine licensed.
- Private Party Facilities: Big Rock Chop House offers 6 vivid & distinct rooms that can accommodate from 15 to 400 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Kucher 2486477774x102
- Entertainment: Live entertainment in Got Rocks every Friday and Saturday evening.
A word from Big Rock Chop House
Formerly Norman's Eton Street Station, Big Rock Chop House combines the rustic, casual feel of a mountain lodge with the high-energy of a contemporary club, an eclectic mix unlike any other Metro Detroit dining experience, The menu bursts with enormous, hand-cut, aged steaks & chops, including a 24oz Porterhouse, a 16oz Kansas City Strip Steak, a 20oz or 32oz Jumbo Bone-In Rib Eye, a 12oz Filet Mignon, Center Cut Pork Chops, double cut Lamb Chops & a 16oz Veal Porterhouse Chop. Other selections include Rocky Mountain Chicken, Canadian Whitefish & Dover Sole presented tableside. Adjoining the restaurant is a brew house, with custom, state-of-the-art equipment. Award-winning brew master Dan Rogers has created 4 signature beers to compliment the restaurant's distinctive American fare: Norm's Raggedy Ass Ale, Raymondo El Rojo, Flying Buffalo Stout & Weizenheimer Hefe Weizen. In addition to these, Rogers adds a seasonal & specialty brew to the bar, which he changes frequently.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Big Rock Chop House - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Big Rock Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)romantic (37)great for outdoor dining (36)fit for foodies (24)notable wine list (23)good for groups (19)neighborhood gem (19)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (13)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (2)Show More
- SaladOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Excellent!! However, baby kale salad was missing ingredient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCarissaDined on 8/23/2014My boyfriend and I have dined at Big Rock for 6+ years. We don't come here regularly, but always visit for my boyfriend's birthday since he enjoys the beer and the food. Normally, everything is fantastic. The steak is phenomenal, the sides are plentiful, and the service is great. When we came on 8/23, this was not the case. B's bone in fillet was okay. We've had better, less expensive fillets at other restaurants in the area. And our $8 side of mashed potatoes was extremely overpriced for the portion we received. We noticed the prices have gone up and potion sizes have gone down since our last visit. We will be rethinking our next visit and will most likely chose another restaurant whose prices match the quality and quantity of the food.Special Features:
- Great Outdoor Diningbi5477Dined on 8/23/2014I find this to be the best steak house in Birmingham. My wife went for the trout special tonight and it too was cooked to perfection!Special Features:
- Worth another shotCushionPeakDined on 8/20/2014Selected this establishment based on OpenTable reviews. Lively crowd, classy and comfortable atmosphere, and a very impressive wine list; there are a multitude of awesome selections that will not break the bank. We started with the Calamari and Steak Bites and both were excellent. For entrees, everyone at the table loved the Tenderloin Filet; I went off the beaten track with the lamb chops. Attractive presentation and generous portion, but the protein had no flavor whatsoever once you got past the mustard rub. Overall, the experience (especially the wines!!!) warrants another visit. Next time I'll select a traditional main course.Special Features:
- foodfreakVIPDined on 8/19/2014Once more a wonderful experience. Great food, amazing service, generous drinks and interesting and affordable wine choices. We love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with the boyfriendverbalDined on 8/16/2014We have been doing more fine dining and forgot about the Chop House.... The food was good, the waitress knew the menu well. The ONLY negative is that we had just barely finished our salad when she plopped the main course down...... I had to tell her to take the dinners back to the warmers int he kitchen as I still had two more bits of salad . Her initial response was,, oh I can move it here to the side ( the salad) and put your dinner down?! Other than making this feel like an inexpensive dinner rush..... or attempted to... I enjoyed the food very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was excellent exceptflorida1Dined on 8/15/2014our seating arrangement. We had asked to sit outside and it was confirmed and I was also called by a hostess the day of the dinner and confirmed again that we would sit outside. Upon arrival we were told that it wasn't possible and offered a table inside that should have been for 4 but they squeezed the six of us into it and we were extremely uncomfortable. No way would we stay for dessert and coffee. Other than that the food was excellent and our waitress outstanding.Special Features:
- ServiceLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/6/2014We couldn't have asked for a more friendly and professional waiter than Mitchell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsSummermemoriesDined on 8/2/2014Big Rock was a last minute choice to have dinner with friends we haven't seen for a while, Everyone loved it. Although I've been to Big Rock a few times before I always look forward to coming back. The food, cocktails and service was exceptional. Our server, Mr. Fragale was very efficient, knowledgeable and fun! He definitely help make it a great night foe us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfreakVIPDined on 8/2/2014As usual we were welcomed with open arms. The food is always good, and prepared as ordered, the drinks are generous and the wine choices wonderful and affordable. An added bonus is that Big Rock is very kid friendly and the food is served to them quickly to avoid melt-downs. We love the house smoked salmon, tuna appetizer and chicken finger appetizer. The nuts and grains salad is delicious as is the rocket salad, and the burgers, steaks, salmon, tuna and lamb are wonderful. We will never get tired of this place.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantCollMeisterDined on 8/2/2014Incredible food, wonderful service and a great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent first experienceFoodie1Dined on 7/26/2014We went to the Big Rock for the first time to celebrate our 23rd anniversary. We never knew this place was such a gem. By all measures, this place scored perfect in each category (we are 'foodies' and have been to all the competition I assure you). From the appetizers to the main course and into dessert, all the food excellent! Our server was very attentive and required no reminders (ie refills) during our meal. I actually commented to my wife that he came back literally within 30 seconds when I asked him for a little horseradish-do delays or reminding. The restaurant is very cozy-it was open yet felt like you were not in a big open space, which had a certain romantic feeling to it. We would definitely recommend the Big Rock!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mix of new and oldxfighterpilotDined on 7/18/2014Loved the curb appeal, décor, and tie to the building's past as a train station. But at the same time, the vibrant colors, lighting, and crisp table linens gave it a fresh and modern look too. Our waiter was knowledgeable, sensitive to our desire to catch up with our guests (we flew in from out of town) before getting started on discussing menu options, etc. The food selection was what I would have expected and were a good value for the pricing. The wine selection was not huge but a nice variety and the pricing very reasonable for brands I have paid more for at other restaurants. All-in-all I was very happy to have selected this restaurant for our special dinner (their website was good too). I will definitely dine there again.Special Features:
- A Special EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014We've been going to Big Rock for years and have never had a bad experience. This latest night out was our 32nd anniversary and our server Mitchell really helped make it a great evening. Helping with the wine selection (it was fantastic), suggesting different menu combinations - the food was wonderful and he even had our dessert customized. And as always the service was flawless. You can spend less in some places, a bit more in others, but Big Rocks menu and personnel make dining out there worth the price every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An extraordinary lunchmimosamommaVIPDined on 7/16/2014Tucked away in the beautiful neighborhood of Birmingham one discovers this serene patio and upscale eatery . We were immediately greeted and seated by the hostess. Our server allowed us a leisurely review of the menu. We were able to select from both the lunch and dinner menus . Combing the 2 gave us a variety of appetizers and entrees. We sipped on fine wine and started with the amazing Caesar salads . We followed with a tasty bread basket . We dined on ahi tuna and salmon . We always enjoy cappuccino here as it is complemented by a sweet biscotti . We hope to return for another fair weather visit .Special Features:
- 3rd time here and not disappointedSDicken179VIPDined on 7/14/2014Fantastic place and food/service phenomenal! Try the Kobe sirloin,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chips mamaHappyladyVIPDined on 7/5/2014Had my family there for lunch, came right when opening.. Not sure if kitchen wasn't ready but since there were only 2 tables, it took forever to get our food.. Luckily we weren't pressed for timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Customer ServiceDunnjer1Dined on 6/28/2014Big Rock puts a great product on the table. We sat on the patio on a beautiful Saturday night and had a great time. There were a few issues with our food - undercooked Salmon served to a pregnant woman which is a recipe for disaster, and a forgotten side dish, however our Waitress and the Manager did everything in their power to make sure we were taken care of, including deleting both dishes off our final bill, as well as buying us dessert. There's an old saying: everybody makes mistakes, it's how you fix those mistakes that matters most. The staff at Big Rock definitely understands this concept, and at the end of the day we left extremely satisfied and I will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Not bad but not great for the priceluv2dinebutnothereDined on 6/28/2014We hadn't been here in years, so we thought we would try it again for my husband's birthday. Over priced food that was good but not great. Lacked in flavor and juice for my halibut and my husband's filet. Just wasn't impressed. We appreciated the free dessert for his b-day, but thought it was a lazy thought out snickers cake. Sorry! Just had better expectations for a place that's supposed to be classy. Wasn't impressed 10 years and ago and 10 years later, still not impressed.
- foodfreakVIPDined on 6/24/2014This place has all the ingredients for greatness and it never disappoints. The venue is warm & inviting, the wait staff competent & friendly, the food delicious & the wines & liquors varied & affordable. We loved the whitefish special, strip steak, tuna tartare & fresh, plump oysters. Our Grandchildren were treated wonderfully, too & their meals were brought promptly to avoid the inevitable meltdowns & increase our dining pleasure. This is our "Go-To" place & will always be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks great but lunch service poorTamDenDined on 6/21/2014For the number of staff walking around and the relatively small number of customers, the lunch service was certainly slow. We waited a long time for service and also a long time between servings. The waitress had a good attitude when she was attending us, but the hostess was a little stuffy and seemed a little bit angry at the time we were there, didn't make eye contact. Dinner Steaks and Bread were awesome, but other lunch sandwiches were just okay. We only wished Ruth's Chris or Morton's were opened for lunch. Too many other great options nearby to consider going back. From an out-of-town visitor.
- Can't wait to go backFoodieDined on 6/20/2014Went for our anniversary dinner, and splurged! Tried multiple things on the menu and everything exceeded our expectations. Cannot wait to go back. Service was amazing too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014My husband and I dined for our third anniversary. We started by splitting a wedge salad that was AMAZING !!!! We then each ordered steaks, I a filet, and him a Rib Eye. The waiters recommendations were spot on. We will definitely return soon !!!Special Features:
- Awesome!TheSmiths9504Dined on 6/7/2014Delicious food great atmosphere impeccable service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely mealLove2eatoutDined on 6/5/2014Big Rock Chop House is a stunning restaurant. The menu provides several choices other than steaks --- all of which, incidentally, were very large and prime. The fish I had was excellent. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the entire menu and wines. The noise level was far lower than it has been on previous visits, likely because it wasn't as crowded as it is on weekends. As is true at most steakhouses, the prices are high, which makes it only a special occasion restaurant.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceLuv2reviewDined on 6/3/2014This restaurant has a wonderful ambiance! We sat outside on the patio on a beautiful evening, and during the week, so it wasn't crowded or noisy. The shrimp is fantastic and truffle fries are the best in town! If you want to try a dessert, have the snickers pie! The chef creates his own carmal and it's perfect size to share! You can't go wrong with eating at this restaurant! The service, food, wine, drinks are exceptional!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfreakVIPDined on 5/28/2014Great food, generous drinks, competent service, friendly and welcoming staff, what could be wrong? Don't miss the grain salad or the rocket salad. The oysters are always fresh and the tuna appetizer is a winner. The burgers are really tasty and the fish is always prepared perfectly too. This is definitely a go-to place--it never gets old and we love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold foodOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 5/24/2014The scallops had potential but were below room temp when served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Detroit's best steaksYumHunterDined on 5/17/2014The only thing I didn't like was where my birthday party was seated - next to a server station. However that's the only negative. The staff is personable, fun and friendly. The food is phenomenal. Since it was my first visit I knew I wanted to try the filet and not only was it perfectly cooked, it's definitely one of the best I've had - better than Ruth's Chris (and Ruth's is great!) and right up there with Rochester Chophouse and The Brookshire. Try the apps and desserts, especially the calamari, carpaccio, sorbets, and creme brulee!Special Features:
- Anniversary spotBuzzsawDined on 5/17/2014My wife and I come here on our anniversary every year to enjoy the amazing food and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good!bhamfamilyDined on 5/9/2014We hadn't eaten at Big Rock for some time and it's still very good! Great steaks and sides...wine list is good too! It was cold and rainy the night we were there so we didn't sit outside-- but it's stillba good spot in Birmingham for outdoor dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 427 reviews are from the Big Rock Chop House reviews archive.
- OKm1m1Dined on 5/5/2014We dined here for my husband's birthday on a recommendation in the summer Pure Michigan travel magazine. Unfortunately we felt it was overpriced for what it was. Perhaps we didn't order the right foods, but our seafood mains were extremely salty, although cooked very well and sides worked well. The mushroom soup was fantastic! Our server Todd was awesome!Special Features:
- Consistently Very GoodMotorCityMadmannDined on 4/26/2014Big Rock is one of my favorite places to dine in Detroit. The food is always very good, atmosphere is nice and the staff does a great job. When I bring clients here they are always impressed and want to come back the next time they are in town. I'd put the wine selection up against any other place in the area. This night was particularly good as the food was well prepared and our waiter, Michael, was both helpful and funny.Special Features:
- Best meal ever!LiljennywDined on 4/25/2014I am a diehard foodie, and by far in my 43 years this is the best meal I've ever had! Our server, Kevin, was phenomenal and very attentive. He recommended some great lines that we will be buying off site as well. All the appetizers were amazing, my scallops were cooked to perfection and my husbands fillet mignon with zip sauce made me feel like I died and went to heaven! This sounds cliché, but we find a time at least once every two weeks, and this is the best I've had in a long time. And to top it off, my husband took his glass of wine upstairs in enjoyed an aged scotch recommended by the bartender with a fine cigar as I sipped my glass of wine. We will be booking dinners and events in the future here! Can't say enough good things! :-DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfreakVIPDined on 4/22/2014A reliably delicious meal & the most competent service imaginable are hallmarks of Big Rock. Starting with a generous drink that pair beautifully with seared tuna, cornflake crusted chicken, rocket & grains and seeds salads, burgers & all fish. And the wine choices are amazing & reasonable, so all good! Of course, for us, the icing on the cake is the wonderful service from Kevin, our favorite server & Vera, the Manager. All these things keep us coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Special Occasion Hot Spot!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014This has been a long time favorite of my family for special occasions. The wine list is fabulous, and the servers are very knowledgeable and helpful in choosing/trying new wines. They are appropriately attentive, and even suggested the martini and cigar bar upstairs one evening, which turned out to be one of our favorite date night memories:) I have tried most of the entrees and appetizers, my personal favorite is the filet, oysters, asparagus, and CALAMARI!!!! I have never had calamari prepared like that before and I tell everyone I can about how amazing it is!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner with friendsJulieDined on 4/7/20146 of us met at Big Rock on a Monday evening. Great happy hour specials from 4-7pm (apps and drinks). We had a very nice waiter who let us take our time and we did not feel rushed through the meal. Our table ordered salads to split between 2 (no split plate charge), rib eye, 2 filet, 2 scallops, branzino. I'll admit - this group can be picky. Everyone LOVED their meal. We split a few sides - asparagus, green beans and mashed potatoes. Outstanding presentation. 3 people had dessert - the dark chocolate truffles. They said they were wonderful. Highly recommended - we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Rockdrcunn1VIPDined on 4/5/2014Big Rock's food is quite good but not exceptional. The prices are very high compared to comparable or even better restaurants in the Birmingham/Bloomfield area. If you go, stick to the hamburger, it's $18 for the burger and fries.Special Features:
- Everything was great, whattroytesterDined on 4/5/2014Everything was great, what you'd expect from a first class steak house. Very nice and lively atmosphere. Music is too loud for my taste.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timers myself and my wifeFirstDined on 4/4/2014We where extremely impressed this was our first time to the restaurant and we where treated very well from beginning to end. The food was amazing everything was cooked to perfection will be returning with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.