5347 N. Clark St.
Chicago, IL 60640Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bigjoneschicago.com/
- Phone: 7732755725x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday–Friday: 11am–10pm ; Saturday: 9am–10pm ; Sunday: 9am–9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Paul Fehribach
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Balmoral
- Public Transit: Clark bus, Damen bus (on Ashland), Berwyn 'L' stop on Red Line
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We don't have valet or private parking. We recommend street parking on Clark St. or side streets. Please do not park in the Calo lot across the street, or behind Big Jones.
There is ample bike parking in Andersonville.
A word from Big Jones
Big Jones invites you to enjoy gracious Southern Hospitality for brunch, lunch, and dinner, seven days a week. Named a "Best New Restaurant" by Chicago Magazine, and rated 3 stars by Phil Vettel at the Chicago Tribune. We offer freshly home-made dishes featuring locally grown, organic, and pastured farm produce, and sustainable seafood.Continued
Parties of six or more, please call us directly at (773) 275-5725.
Parties of six or more, please call us directly at (773) 275-5725.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Big Jones - Best Restaurants in Andersonville ›
Big Jones reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (101)fit for foodies (85)great for brunch (81)special occasion (37)great for outdoor dining (31)great for lunch (27)good for groups (26)romantic (24)kid-friendly (15)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (6)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)Show More
- Southern Brunch UpdatedHobbitDined on 9/14/2014Wonderful and inventive brunch with twists on the classics such as eggs benedict on popovers instead of English muffins and with béarnaise sauce instead of hollandaise. Delicious boudin, grits, and charcuterie also. Minor issue was the juice - smallest serving ever of grapefruit juice - less than 4 oz served in a wine glass and served warm for some reason. Overall, though, nice brunch with attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free Super FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Tons of wonderful, exciting, thoughtful, abd delicious GF options. Brunch is fun again! New loyal bruncher.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticJennyGDined on 9/13/2014Fantastic food, great service, pretty dining room. It's a keeper for sure.Special Features:
- We love this restaurant.JoyousDined on 9/13/2014Always excellent! Our guest ordered the fried chicken which we have never ordered, well because it is chicken. I will now come back for the chicken. It was the best I have ever tasted. We also highly recommend the Duck Tamales. And I always return for the Fried Green Tomatoes.Special Features:
- A bit below its potentialbigjons2Dined on 9/11/2014This is my second visit to Big Jones. I was a bit disappointed on the quality of the food on this visit. My previous visit had been great, but this time the food was not up to par. I found most of my dishes to be very salty, and just not nearly as good as on my other visit. The service was exceptional, and all other aspects of my dining experience were good. The bourbon/whiskey selection is outstanding; this alone makes Big Jones worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent brunchFoodmavenDined on 9/7/2014We had a reservation which was honored at the time, 12:30 pm, and were seated at a quite table in the back which was perfect for conversation. Cocktails were good, but were served in 8 oz glasses? Food arrived and we devoured immediately. Everything was tasty and hot.Special Features:
- Upscale Comfort FoodEmilyDined on 9/6/2014Dinner with friends was excellent. Menu has a lot of variety without being overwhelming. We enjoyed all the foods we ordered. Bar has extensive bourbon selection.Special Features:
- Avoid the BarOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/6/2014Bartender was incredibly inattentive - it took nearly 15 minutes to get a drink after sitting down at the bar. The bartender seemed more interested in conversing with friends than waiting on patrons
- Big Jonesin' for Big Jones!PhilSheldonDined on 9/5/2014With our party of four, it was easy to park and easy to book (via Opentable) for his small gem of a find in Andersonville! I loved the off-the-menu stuffed cabbage, made with a mild rice/sausage blend and served with a spicy tomato sauce that was a bit too spicy for two of us, so we focussed on the excellent, and BIG, cabbage rolls themselves: hearty dinner! The serving of hot cornbread was wonderful! Get the baked-on-demand dessert!!! Big Jones does excellent catfish with collard and grits. Their beer offerings is very good, but the wine list is superb. For a small place, Big Jones packs a lot of food expertice into their space; I can see why our daughter loves it; yes, we'll be back to work our way down their menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!JacquelineDined on 9/2/2014My date and I sat on the patio and shared a few dishes: Fried Greed Tomatoes, Gumbo, Pork Shoulder Sammy, Pimento Cheese, Macaroon, and Chocolate Pie... All wonderful. We also had a bottle of Verdejo that was delish! Our server, Kat, was super sweet and friendly too! It was a fab dinner! Yum. Thanks Big Jones! :DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedCaroljeanDined on 9/1/2014My poached eggs were runny. The boudin sausages were rather tasteless and hard. The potatoes were decent. The wait staff was efficient and very nice and the decor is lovely, but the food is the most important thing. It was disappointing. Maybe I ordered the wrong thing?
- Another Andersonville GemydimouDined on 8/31/2014Just took a shot in the dark on a Saturday night and reserved a place for brunch Sunday morning. All of us were more than pleasantly surprised by the delicious meals, the amazing complementary beignets, and the great service fromt he staff. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Four-Star RestaurantDebGVIPDined on 8/29/2014This was our first time at Big Jones and everything from the decor to the staff to the service to the food was wonderful. Each of the appetizer (highly recommend the Boucherie Board - it's large), our entrees (my husband had the pheasant special & it was great) and the desserts were delicious! We'll be coming back and we would also like to come for brunch which is supposed to be great!Special Features:
- What a burgerthewolfDined on 8/26/2014Burgers and fries are the specialty for lunch. Our burgers arrived as ordered, one well done, medium and rare, with chef's special sauce(not Big Mac style). The accompanying outrageous fries came with their own house-made ranch dressing.Special Features:
- Great food! Excellent service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014The food at Big Jones was truly delightful. My friend had the crab cake benedict and I had the shrimp and grits. Both dishes were wonderfully seasoned and well prepared. The Sally Lund bread was delicious, although I wish it had been served warm rather than room temperature. Our waitress was delightful and provided excellent service. The only downside of our visit was that the air conditioner was broken. We were informed when we arrived. It was toasty!Special Features:
- Great food and friendly staffHappyDayzDined on 8/24/2014Friendly host/mgr at the door, service always great and food always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fried Chicken!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/23/2014Big Jones was a great southern-style restaurant with good food and great drinks. I do recommend splitting the fried chicken dish as it comes with a breast, wing, thigh, AND leg. Tasted great and I loved the corn succotash with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Southern Fare in the North!OPCDVIPDined on 8/22/2014Gosh, we enjoy everything we eat, everytime we go. Big Jones makes the meanest greens, fried chicken and OMG, the desserts! You will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Charmcookie1950Dined on 8/19/2014Big Jones specializes in southern coastal cuisine. Had lunch with a friend. Service was excellent. Server was friendly and kept refilling water and soda. We tried the pickle platter, pimento cheese and corn bread (made to order, so it takes about 20 minutes). We also had the cheese burger and fried chicken. Both were done well. The blueberry pie cannot be missed. Lunch was not busy. Would recommend to others.Special Features:
- Trixie and BevoTrixie40VIPDined on 8/17/2014Good Southern cooking and an extensive menu of whiskey and bourbons. Can't find their offerings on other menus around town.Special Features:
- delishlpesceVIPDined on 8/17/2014great southern style comfort food for brunch. beignets were spot on. service was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LynnRob12Dined on 8/16/2014While the food was good, the service was terrible. Won't be dining here again.
- Good food nice conceptRyanRamblesDined on 8/8/2014Our first experience - we found the pork and the shrimp and grits phenomenal, and the fish fry lacking. Delicious and innovative cocktails and teas. Great southern breads. Fresh peach cobbler was a real treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great Service.MonicaDined on 8/8/2014I was hosting a friend from Singapore that evening and we sampled a bunch of stuff. Praises to the Fried Chicken, Burger and Crab cakes. We could not stop talking about it for the rest of the week. Last but not least, customer serivce was warm and welcoming. Love it! Only problem we had was with the noise, it felt like ppl were talking in a cave. Perhaps some carpeting on the walls might help?Special Features:
- So-soFoodlover20Dined on 8/2/2014I was looking forward to eating here. Past reviews were all great, unfortunately my experience wasn't good, and won't be going back. We waited 10mins for a server to greet us and when he finally came over the waiter asked us to move tables. We moved and waited another 10 mins for him to come back to order. Our food came out 40mins later (they weren't that busy). My omelette was very bland, not even hot sauce could save the day.Special Features:
- Drinks and dinner Southern foodtinalemondeDined on 7/28/2014Great cocktails, delicious! Fried chicken is great, Love the grits and biscuits! Very good service.Special Features:
- Full of FlavorASEatsChicagoDined on 7/27/2014The menu is constantly changing based on the availability of locally grown and farm raised foods. We brought friends for brunch Sunday and each of our dishes was delicious and full of flavor. The pre-meal beignets and strong coffee set the tone for a great NOLA breakfast. Their drink menu has changed as well, they no longer offer a variety of mimosas but instead focus on custom cocktails. That is fine but with all the flavors on the menu, I think some classic brunch drinks would serve them well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treasure!grasshopperDined on 7/19/2014Food quality and preparation were superb. The heirloom black barley (served as a creamy risotto with vegetables) was amazing and the grits the best I have tasted in years. The specials were lovely, the fried chicken was crispy on the outside with moist and steamy center and excellent sides while and the pork shoulder sandwich was succulent! Service was knowledgeable and attentive and there were no misses through the entire meal for our table of six. I highly recommend!Special Features:
- myhusbandthinksimsavvyDined on 7/19/2014We were a group of 5 and were all looking forward to New Orleans style food. I had gumbo and had had it elsewhere perhaps 5 other times. This was the worst and it tasted vaguely of being burned on the bottom of the pot. Plain rice was a taste relief because everyone's food was missing a really good flavor. (We did a lot of tasting of one another's food because we had hoped for some really flavorful items, as described on the menu) I remember wondering if any customers would come back a second time. The original recommendation came from Raven Theater where we had reservations later that eve. Staff people were pleasant but that simply wasn't enough!
- Great Southern Food, Bit OverpricedCithenDined on 7/18/2014Really well done, southern food. Cocktails were simple & old-fashioned, but delicious. The whole menu seemed slightly overpriced to my girlfriend and I. I think we would have felt better about our experience if all of the dinner entrees on the menu had been just a few bucks cheaper. Our waitress was very personable and kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost as good as home!BethVIPDined on 7/18/2014Although this restaurant turned out to be a little farther from downtown Chicago that we thought, it was worth the trip. Eclectic blend of Cajun/Southern offerings which, for a born and bred Southerner like me, could be a little confusing, but most of what they do is as authentic as if I were eating at my husband's grandmother's farm back in the day. And the service is terrific too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old stand-bypjonesDined on 7/13/2014The menu has once again gone through a change. Our group has assorted tastes and the loss of a relatively plain breakfast was not good for those of us who like same. Perhaps we should not go here as a group. Will try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014Food is outstanding. Our server was beyond knowledgable and helpful. Wonderful place.Special Features:
- Glad it's in the 'hoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/4/2014I live in Andersonville so I am very close to this neighborhood gem. Big jones is great- just darn good food. I discovered at my recent visit that a lot of their foods are naturally gluten free - which I appreciate. I like when places utilize the gluten free flours that already exist, instead of trying to "be" gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingfoodloverDined on 7/1/2014I was very disappointed in the fried chicken. It was dry and bland. The greens were drenched in too much vinegar, and the cornbread was disappointing. I think the quality has gone down since I was last there 2 years ago. :(
- cute place but left sadcumberqsDined on 6/29/2014We were excited to try this place. We arrived on time, we're seated promptly. We seemed to be seated along the wall in a table for 2, no one else seemed to be seated in our section. The wait staff was polite and our water was always refilled. We ordered and appetizerror and out food. There was a long wait, and it's expected because it was a Sunday brunch. All the food came out at once and and was not exactly hot. We were thoroughly saddened by this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itJohnDined on 6/29/2014We had brunch this past Sunday and we thought the AC may not have been working it was extremely uncomfortable. Also I had the fried chicken and waffle breakfast. (Different name) Also the Waffles were dry, without flavor and burnt. Not sure if that is the way they are supposed to be or not but they were horrible. The fried chicken was mediocre at best and the 2 pieces were extremely small. I think KFC has better chicken. I have had fried chicken in Charleston SC and at Table 52 so I know good fried chicken. I also asked what the gravy was for the biscuits and gravy and he could barely explain it. Server was useless, the atmosphere was uncomfortable and the food was subpar.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014The service was terrible, food was way below average and it was way overpriced because of the poor quality.
- Great food NO A/C and 90 degreesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014Food and service was great BUT they didn't have any A/C !! it was a miserable dinner with our guests sweating up a storm .... the restaurant was at least 90 degrees
- YumAnne72584VIPDined on 6/28/2014Great restaurant, great area. We will definitely be back.Special Features: