5347 N. Clark St.
Chicago, IL 60640Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bigjoneschicago.com/
- Phone: 7732755725x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday–Friday: 11am–10pm ; Saturday: 9am–10pm ; Sunday: 9am–9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Paul Fehribach
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Balmoral
- Public Transit: Clark bus, Damen bus (on Ashland), Berwyn 'L' stop on Red Line
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We don't have valet or private parking. We recommend street parking on Clark St. or side streets. Please do not park in the Calo lot across the street, or behind Big Jones.
There is ample bike parking in Andersonville.
A word from Big Jones
Big Jones invites you to enjoy gracious Southern Hospitality for brunch, lunch, and dinner, seven days a week. Named a "Best New Restaurant" by Chicago Magazine, and rated 3 stars by Phil Vettel at the Chicago Tribune. We offer freshly home-made dishes featuring locally grown, organic, and pastured farm produce, and sustainable seafood.Continued
Parties of six or more, please call us directly at (773) 275-5725.
Parties of six or more, please call us directly at (773) 275-5725.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Big Jones - Best Restaurants in Andersonville ›
Big Jones reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (100)great for brunch (90)fit for foodies (87)special occasion (38)great for lunch (32)great for outdoor dining (31)good for groups (27)romantic (24)kid-friendly (18)hot spot (13)notable wine list (6)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (2)Show More
- Another Andersonville GemydimouDined on 8/31/2014Just took a shot in the dark on a Saturday night and reserved a place for brunch Sunday morning. All of us were more than pleasantly surprised by the delicious meals, the amazing complementary beignets, and the great service fromt he staff. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- What a burgerthewolfDined on 8/26/2014Burgers and fries are the specialty for lunch. Our burgers arrived as ordered, one well done, medium and rare, with chef's special sauce(not Big Mac style). The accompanying outrageous fries came with their own house-made ranch dressing.Special Features:
- Great food! Excellent service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014The food at Big Jones was truly delightful. My friend had the crab cake benedict and I had the shrimp and grits. Both dishes were wonderfully seasoned and well prepared. The Sally Lund bread was delicious, although I wish it had been served warm rather than room temperature. Our waitress was delightful and provided excellent service. The only downside of our visit was that the air conditioner was broken. We were informed when we arrived. It was toasty!Special Features:
- Great food and friendly staffHappyDayzDined on 8/24/2014Friendly host/mgr at the door, service always great and food always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Southern Fare in the North!OPCDVIPDined on 8/22/2014Gosh, we enjoy everything we eat, everytime we go. Big Jones makes the meanest greens, fried chicken and OMG, the desserts! You will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Charmcookie1950Dined on 8/19/2014Big Jones specializes in southern coastal cuisine. Had lunch with a friend. Service was excellent. Server was friendly and kept refilling water and soda. We tried the pickle platter, pimento cheese and corn bread (made to order, so it takes about 20 minutes). We also had the cheese burger and fried chicken. Both were done well. The blueberry pie cannot be missed. Lunch was not busy. Would recommend to others.Special Features:
- Trixie and BevoTrixie40VIPDined on 8/17/2014Good Southern cooking and an extensive menu of whiskey and bourbons. Can't find their offerings on other menus around town.Special Features:
- delishlpesceVIPDined on 8/17/2014great southern style comfort food for brunch. beignets were spot on. service was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LynnRob12Dined on 8/16/2014While the food was good, the service was terrible. Won't be dining here again.
- Good food nice conceptRyanRamblesDined on 8/8/2014Our first experience - we found the pork and the shrimp and grits phenomenal, and the fish fry lacking. Delicious and innovative cocktails and teas. Great southern breads. Fresh peach cobbler was a real treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great Service.MonicaDined on 8/8/2014I was hosting a friend from Singapore that evening and we sampled a bunch of stuff. Praises to the Fried Chicken, Burger and Crab cakes. We could not stop talking about it for the rest of the week. Last but not least, customer serivce was warm and welcoming. Love it! Only problem we had was with the noise, it felt like ppl were talking in a cave. Perhaps some carpeting on the walls might help?Special Features:
- So-soFoodlover20Dined on 8/2/2014I was looking forward to eating here. Past reviews were all great, unfortunately my experience wasn't good, and won't be going back. We waited 10mins for a server to greet us and when he finally came over the waiter asked us to move tables. We moved and waited another 10 mins for him to come back to order. Our food came out 40mins later (they weren't that busy). My omelette was very bland, not even hot sauce could save the day.Special Features:
- Drinks and dinner Southern foodtinalemondeDined on 7/28/2014Great cocktails, delicious! Fried chicken is great, Love the grits and biscuits! Very good service.Special Features:
- Full of FlavorASEatsChicagoDined on 7/27/2014The menu is constantly changing based on the availability of locally grown and farm raised foods. We brought friends for brunch Sunday and each of our dishes was delicious and full of flavor. The pre-meal beignets and strong coffee set the tone for a great NOLA breakfast. Their drink menu has changed as well, they no longer offer a variety of mimosas but instead focus on custom cocktails. That is fine but with all the flavors on the menu, I think some classic brunch drinks would serve them well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treasure!grasshopperDined on 7/19/2014Food quality and preparation were superb. The heirloom black barley (served as a creamy risotto with vegetables) was amazing and the grits the best I have tasted in years. The specials were lovely, the fried chicken was crispy on the outside with moist and steamy center and excellent sides while and the pork shoulder sandwich was succulent! Service was knowledgeable and attentive and there were no misses through the entire meal for our table of six. I highly recommend!Special Features:
- myhusbandthinksimsavvyDined on 7/19/2014We were a group of 5 and were all looking forward to New Orleans style food. I had gumbo and had had it elsewhere perhaps 5 other times. This was the worst and it tasted vaguely of being burned on the bottom of the pot. Plain rice was a taste relief because everyone's food was missing a really good flavor. (We did a lot of tasting of one another's food because we had hoped for some really flavorful items, as described on the menu) I remember wondering if any customers would come back a second time. The original recommendation came from Raven Theater where we had reservations later that eve. Staff people were pleasant but that simply wasn't enough!
- Great Southern Food, Bit OverpricedCithenDined on 7/18/2014Really well done, southern food. Cocktails were simple & old-fashioned, but delicious. The whole menu seemed slightly overpriced to my girlfriend and I. I think we would have felt better about our experience if all of the dinner entrees on the menu had been just a few bucks cheaper. Our waitress was very personable and kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost as good as home!BethVIPDined on 7/18/2014Although this restaurant turned out to be a little farther from downtown Chicago that we thought, it was worth the trip. Eclectic blend of Cajun/Southern offerings which, for a born and bred Southerner like me, could be a little confusing, but most of what they do is as authentic as if I were eating at my husband's grandmother's farm back in the day. And the service is terrific too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old stand-bypjonesDined on 7/13/2014The menu has once again gone through a change. Our group has assorted tastes and the loss of a relatively plain breakfast was not good for those of us who like same. Perhaps we should not go here as a group. Will try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014Food is outstanding. Our server was beyond knowledgable and helpful. Wonderful place.Special Features:
- Glad it's in the 'hoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/4/2014I live in Andersonville so I am very close to this neighborhood gem. Big jones is great- just darn good food. I discovered at my recent visit that a lot of their foods are naturally gluten free - which I appreciate. I like when places utilize the gluten free flours that already exist, instead of trying to "be" gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingfoodloverDined on 7/1/2014I was very disappointed in the fried chicken. It was dry and bland. The greens were drenched in too much vinegar, and the cornbread was disappointing. I think the quality has gone down since I was last there 2 years ago. :(
- cute place but left sadcumberqsDined on 6/29/2014We were excited to try this place. We arrived on time, we're seated promptly. We seemed to be seated along the wall in a table for 2, no one else seemed to be seated in our section. The wait staff was polite and our water was always refilled. We ordered and appetizerror and out food. There was a long wait, and it's expected because it was a Sunday brunch. All the food came out at once and and was not exactly hot. We were thoroughly saddened by this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itJohnDined on 6/29/2014We had brunch this past Sunday and we thought the AC may not have been working it was extremely uncomfortable. Also I had the fried chicken and waffle breakfast. (Different name) Also the Waffles were dry, without flavor and burnt. Not sure if that is the way they are supposed to be or not but they were horrible. The fried chicken was mediocre at best and the 2 pieces were extremely small. I think KFC has better chicken. I have had fried chicken in Charleston SC and at Table 52 so I know good fried chicken. I also asked what the gravy was for the biscuits and gravy and he could barely explain it. Server was useless, the atmosphere was uncomfortable and the food was subpar.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014The service was terrible, food was way below average and it was way overpriced because of the poor quality.
- Great food NO A/C and 90 degreesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014Food and service was great BUT they didn't have any A/C !! it was a miserable dinner with our guests sweating up a storm .... the restaurant was at least 90 degrees
- YumAnne72584VIPDined on 6/28/2014Great restaurant, great area. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/27/2014I went to Big Jones with friends who were visiting from France, where the food standards are very high. We were highly impressed with all of the food, including the Andouille sausage, which was made on-site. Truly a gem. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Good for brunch... not for dinnerFoodHappyAndyDined on 6/27/2014Have been here for brunch, would come back again, bit made the mistake of coming here for dinner. The didn't have their amazing cornbread (the lure I used to get my BF to go there in the first place) and of the four plates that we ordered, only one was yummy. Two were "edible" and one we actually sent back. Avoid the biscuits, they're like hockey pucks and note to self, baked oysters with gruyere, bread crumbs and bacon are not interesting or worth trying, they're just funky.Special Features:
- EXPENSIVE BRUNCHDen2gxp1VIPDined on 6/22/2014I had made reservations 24+ hours in advance for Brunch for outdoor seating, so we get to Big Jones and the Host (Guy) I said we had reservations for outdoors and he said we do not have any room for 2 people outside? Seriously? So, we decided to sit inside- so during our meal I kept seeing people pass me and go outside...so I decided to walk out to the patio and there were all kinds of open tables. I made sure on my way out to say something and he had the nerve to say "We cannot sit 2 people at a 4 top table" What the hell did he just say??? We only were there 40 minutes! On to the food it was fair but not for the $49.00 for breakfast-omelet regular presentation poor, cheddar biscuits hard & dry -griddle cakes ok-poor customer service
- Food heavenIknowwhatilikeDined on 6/19/2014Our waitress said we picked the best food on the menu and she wasn't kidding. It was amazing. Shrimp and grits with Tasso gravy that was so flavorful. Salmon with rhubarb sauce. Catfish with grits and greens. Fried chicken. We ate every last bite and then some. The biscuits are to-die-for. Everything was made to perfection. The good is locally sourced and it shows. Worth every minute. And our waitress was fantastic. Attentive and friendly but not in your face. We'd had brunch there before and this was the first time we had dinner. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Southern Food Up Northgaf11Dined on 6/18/2014Big Jones is Chicago's answer to Southern (not Cajun) cuisine. While the restaurant makes reference to particular historical Southern traditions, the food never quite rises to innovative excellence, but it is well-made and tasty. The servers are not always fully knowledgeable about everything on the menu, but service was certainly competent and well-meaning. The back of the restaurant is rather dark and lonely; the front is much lighter and more pleasant. Deep-fried chicken is very good (if not the outstanding pan-fried chicken of the upper South); biscuits are less excellent. For anyone looking for serious Southern food when in Chicago, Big Jones is the place to go.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Father's Day dinnerfathersdayDined on 6/15/2014We enjoyed an early Father's Day dinner at Big Jones. The servers lovingly accommodated our toddler. Daddy enjoyed his Old Fashioned cocktail and the food was good, albeit a bit salty, but good. We enjoyed the new twists on classic southern dishes. This is our second time dining at Big Jones and we will certainly return.Special Features:
- What a delightful evening!RobboDined on 6/14/2014I was early, and the restaurant was just getting ready for the evening. All the servers & staff were so nice and thoughtful--within about 20 minutes, I felt like I was at my grandmother's in North Carolina. The tasso ham and pimento cheese, yum. The crab cakes, double yum! By the time we got to the Virginia-fried veal and the shrimp-n-grits, all y'all had cemented youself in my good-eatin' hall of fame. Thanks very much.Special Features:
- LOVE IT!!!nacobeDined on 6/13/2014I took my dad here (who happens to be very picky) and it was a home run! The food was fresh, full of flavor and filling. The service is top notch! Needless to say I will be back at Big Jones soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining!We8wellVIPDined on 6/8/2014Mt boyfriend and I had brunch this past Sunday. We dine here every couple of months. We treat ourselves to dinners and branches for foodies, every weekend. Big Jones continues to be our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great!SharonDined on 5/31/2014The outdoor space needs some work as far as summer flowers to give it that old Southern Charm. You need to hire a good Polish Cleaning Lady to detail the Restroom. Tried the hard cider suggested by the very enthusiastic Bartender!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great southern food in ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/29/2014Great food, an outstanding whiskey and burbon selection, and a wait staff that is really helpful and knows its stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different from the usual fareOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/22/2014Big Jones serves up good "low country" food, which is different from the usual fare. The catfish with grits, hush puppies and greens was very good! Our server was really friendly but the service itself was pretty slow -- be patient. Nice wine list and beer offerings, as well as many cocktail options. Atmosphere is relaxed. Nice spot for casual dining with a different slant on food.Special Features:
- eatoutmoreDined on 5/14/2014Birthday lunch celebrated - second time - different friend. Both times great. First birthday girl LOVED it she came with to celebrate for second friend. Everything served was delicious, staff friendly, nearby tables were also enjoying their meals.Special Features: