Big Fish Tavern
540 South Coast Highway Suite 200
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Big Fish Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.houseofbigfish.com/
- Phone: (949) 715-4500
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Friday-Sunday 11:30am - 4:30pm
DINNER: Everyday 4:30pm - 10:00pm
HAPPY HOUR: Monday-Friday 2:30pm - 5:30pm
BONUS HAPPY HOUR: Monday-Friday 2:30pm-5:30pm
Buy Any Cocktail, Beer or Wine Off The Dinner Menu & Get Any Food Item Off The Dinner Menu Half Off.
MONDAY LOCALS NIGHT:
25% Off Food
TACO TUESDAY ALL NIGHT LONG:
Taco Platters include two tacos, chips and salsa starting at $5, Drink Specials - $6 House Margarita, $8 Skinny Margarita, $4 Mexican Bottled Beers.
50%off all bottles of wine.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: House of BIG FISH and Ice Cold Beers offers a great variety of seafood for your next private event. For more information please contact Lucian Stefanic 949-715-4500.
- Private Party Facilities: House of BIG FISH and Ice Cold Beer offers several options for your next private event from our indoor patio overlooking the ocean to a complete buyout of our restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Lucian Stefanic 949-715-4500x
- Special Events: Private parties, corporate events, weddings, buyouts available
To book your next private event at Big Fish Tavern contact us at 949-715-4500.
A word from Big Fish Tavern
Big Fish Tavern is all about the experience. Casual environment in a relaxed seafood house setting, all small plates menu, sustainable fresh fish, healthy farm-to-table offerings, and a large beer selection including great local crafts, specialty cocktails and boutique wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Big Fish Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (45)good for groups (29)neighborhood gem (24)vibrant bar scene (17)kid-friendly (17)great for lunch (17)great for outdoor dining (14)fit for foodies (13)hot spot (10)special occasion (8)great for brunch (5)romantic (5)late-night find (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- LAloriDined on 11/9/2014FOOD WAS GOOD, SERVICE WAS OK... RECOMMEND THE SEARED ENDAMAME..I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Fish Tavern doesnt disappoint!SteveMDined on 11/9/2014Big Fish Tavern offers a high quality fish menu at a reasonable price point. If you are looking for a more intimate, quiet experience the noise level can be a problem if you are seated in the main dining area. Service was good and I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Delicious from start to finishOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014I ordered the Macadamia Tilapia and it was delicious! I'm still thinking about it and want more. My Creme Brûlée was also excellent. Our water was polite and attentive. Mt lemon drop martinis were good, but I prefer traditional martini glasses. I asked for and received an outstanding table by the window. A great experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Give It a Second ChanceSteveBVIPDined on 11/7/2014The food was much better than the previous Big Fish. The scallop risoto was as good as any risotto I've ever had. Prices are good and look forward to trying other items. Food arrived before our drinks and we were never asked if we wanted another, which we did. Had to get my own ketchup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new ownershipOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Big Fish Tavern off to a good start! Salmon special over risotto was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy PatronLov2eatwellVIPDined on 10/24/2014We arrived a little early and were seated right away, next to a table with a boisterous patron intent on watching the Giants baseball game, and a pending set up for a group of 30. Should have left and found another place, but decided to stay. I selected the swordfish for my meal, fish and chips for my wife. Both were "OK" - neither lived up to the "Big Fish" moniker.... If you want to party, this is your place. Enough said.Special Features:
- Good fish, great beerjfdesrochesDined on 10/17/2014The fish is great, fresh with lots of flavor. The lobster mac and cheese is ridiculously awesome, as is their beer selection. Prices pretty reasonable, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as the first timeKstupfeVIPDined on 10/17/2014The location of this restaurant is great. However, this time the food and service was below average. The food came within 10 minutes of ordering and the main course arrived slightly before the salads. When I asked why the salads didn't come first, they told us that the kitchen does this frequently. The taste of the food was average.
- Big FishSusanDined on 10/10/2014The service was excellent. The restaurant is a bit loud, but the hostess did place us in a less noisy area. The food was good.Special Features:
- Always GreatAlwaysHungryDined on 10/5/2014Start with the Lobster Fondue, and dont stop till you have to go home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok!klauritzen2Dined on 9/27/2014Fish tacos were really good, but too high priced! I would recommend it to people that are not that hungry and just want small bits to eat! The amount of food was too small for the price! We would only go back for the tacos, knowing we had to order more then what the plate comes with!Special Features:
- 54th Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014Food was good, but service was lacking. We had reservations. When we walked in, we were seated in the middle of the room at a table, it was very noisy and it looked like they had great seats with a view, so we asked if we could move once one of the windows became available. After talking back and forth with 3 or 4 people, very nice people I can happily say, they finally agreed. The waiter that was working with us was very accommodating. Once we were moved, the view was great, but we had to ask the waiter to help us after waiting for a long period of time as he chatted with all the tables around us for long periods of time. The night continued that way, with very slow service. The food was good and price was very fair.Special Features:
- ClosingDelmargirl24Dined on 9/23/2014We are sad this place is closing. It is a great place to meet up with friends, bring the kids, have a nice casual dinner with good food or watch the game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ocean viewdisappointingDined on 9/21/2014and good food at a reasonable price in Laguna. What else do you need?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a Lively Get TogetherckmgoDined on 9/21/2014This was our first experience at the restaurant. Unfortunately, our waiter told us that they would be closing their doors in a month. What a shame! We were excited to go back with some other friends. The food was delicious, reasonably priced, and beautifully presented. It's very loud, so be advised. That works well for kids and folks who like that sort of environment. It worked well with the group we were with. My only complaint was that I never had my water glass refilled despite it sitting empty for well over 20 minutes nor was I ever offered a second alcoholic beverage, which I probably would have ordered. Otherwise, get in before they close. It's well worth your dining dollars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love the food...TCSievVIPDined on 9/20/2014This is the perfect casual spot with great food, beer/cocktails and a view of the ocean from their second story location on the East side of PCH in downtown Laguna. Crab roll, chowder, crab cakes, grilled fish and fun things like Lobster fondu; all is exceedingly fresh and tasty. However, the volume is off the chart and the service is marginal at best. The wait staff are very friendly, but all are young and easily distracted, or it is understaffed. Drink orders take forever to be filled (based on 3 visits) and food comes out in random waves. Maybe they have a tiny kitchen that is fighting to keep up. Either way, we will gladly come back for the fun tasty menu. Beware, the back porch is scorching if the sun is on you.Special Features:
- Amazing again. We will be back!!!!!TheMantecansDined on 9/15/2014Amazing again. We will be back whenever we are in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than we hoped!eric13Dined on 9/13/2014We love the place, the view and the atmosphere. We took my bother in law there for his 50th. It was my third time and their first dining experience here. The menu has seemingly changed? New Ownership perhaps? I ordered the "just hooked" Sea Bass blackened for $23.00. When it came out I was almost embarrassed at the size of the portion. I am pretty sure that this piece of fish was less than 4OZ. The Ono portion was the same. We ordered a side Caesar which had more Romaine stalk than leaves and was brown around its edges. Surely it had been sitting in a bag for a while already cut. We ordered a side salad and instead a warm mix of green seaweed arrived. The only way we will return is for them to revert back to the prior menu and portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the Coconut ShrimpJba31857Dined on 9/6/2014Went here for the first time and we'll go back. Enjoyed their Mai Tai which actually had alcohol in it. How many times do you order a drink and wonder what happened to the alcohol. Not here. It was big, tasty and full of the good stuff. The coconut shrimp were good with a sweet and slightly spicy sauce and the poke was a nice serving size served with fried won tons. Servers were very friendly and willing to go the extra mile to make sure you were happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EdWardEdwarcDined on 9/6/2014The bar is extremely noisy and the service is slow, the food is ok, we won't be back,Special Features:
- KathyDined on 9/4/2014Food was wonderful. We had the lobster Mac and cheese, the lobster truffle risotto, and the lobster crab cakes. Yum!Special Features:
- glad we chose this restaurantvickirDined on 8/30/2014We were in Laguna Beach for Pageant of the Masters. There are several restaurants within walking distance of the show - we were glad we chose this one. The food was good, portions were fine (not too much - not to little). We ate "inside" but the view from the "outside" tables was gorgeous - but those tables were in the sun. We would definitley eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring back the old menu please!LeslieDined on 8/29/2014Haven't been since they changed the menu, liked it do much better before. Prices are up and all the best items on the menu are gone. Please bring back the old menu and decor and we will be back!!Special Features:
- House of big fish / open tabledisappointedDined on 8/24/2014this is actually my second time to big fishthe restaurant was very nice the lunch was outstandingbut once again I thought I would try open table and the communication between the restaurant and open table is absolutely etrocious in the respect that there is no communicationso I won't be using open table again I will call them physicallySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laguna diningereviewDined on 8/22/2014We had a very enjoyable meal. Service was very friendly, and when one of our fish dishes came out overcooked, they took it back and replaced it, although it took a while to get the replacement. Enjoyable view overlooking the pacific even though the restaurant was not on the water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed, but happy in the endAnitaVIPDined on 8/22/2014Excellent table location. Superior, attentive waiter. Excellent small plates (calamari, chowder, and ceviche). Average shrimp scampi and yellow tail entrees. Terrible Mahi Mahi (must have been old) The Manager took it off the bill. Would go back for the small plates only.Special Features:
- Would come back for Happy HourFoodieJunkyVIPDined on 8/21/2014Food was pretty good, nothing to write home about. We got the Hawaiian poke- very good and one of the fish specials. The service started out great from the moment we walked in but lacked towards the end of the night. We had empty water glasses for the majority of our meal and wanted to order more drinks. For the price I would come back for happy hour but probably not dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced for what you get!KubyLBDined on 8/21/2014We have eaten at big fish many times since they opened. But many fish we enjoy are no longer there and Cat Fish is not what you should make Fish and Chips with. Small portions with increased prices. Very warm in dinning room, must be trying to save money along with their small portions. Will not return again unless things change. To bad was great restaurant!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014Indoor/outdoor deck best for view of the ocean and sunset. Quiter then indoors but still feel part of the restaurant. Knowledgeable and helpful staff with great attitudes. Fish dishes are creative, flavorful and healthy.Special Features:
- Noisy, but good food and viewjad2190Dined on 8/17/2014Had a lovely dinner here! The tabeles were a bit noisy, so we moved to some bar seating along the window and were able to see whales off in the ocean. The macademia nut tilapia with coconut risotto was delicious!Special Features:
- good choicechowdownDined on 8/15/2014This is a very good choice for food and service. They have an excellent beer selection as well. The clam chowder is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOuttoeatVIPDined on 8/10/2014This restaurant was fun, with really good food when we initially started coming here about 8 months ago. Our past couple experiences have been disappointing. On one past occasion the kitchen forgot an order and it never came out with the other food. This time, all the food was not brought out at once and one of the party was left waiting . My halibut was inedible. Cold, over cooked and I sent it back. I noticed that people at the next table walked to the kitchen to send a dish back. They remade my halibut and it was better cooked but they drowned this dish in pepper. ( maybe because I sent it back?) service was really slow too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Love the view and the service. The food was pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Seafood, beer, & locationSuperDaveDined on 8/10/2014We were seated quickly but it took a few attempts to find someone willing to take our drink order which was delivered incorrectly. Once the food started arriving everything was smooth however. I'd suggest you offer fresh ground pepper for anyone that orders soup, salad, or vegetables. It is a quaint and low-key restaurant and I don't expect 5 star service, but improvement is needed if you want to retain any up-tight Laguna residents.Special Features:
- Great food! Friendly service!!Carrot0101Dined on 8/9/2014Pros: food was awesome, service was friendly and helpful, great view of the Pacific Ocean. Cons: service was slow, we were there for over 2 hours (however, it seemed like that might have been unusual), it was very loud and difficult to have a conversation with someone right next to you. I would dine there again the next time I'm in town. Make a reservation, it's a Laguna Beach hot spot. We had to make our reservation 2 days in advance. It was worth the wait...the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealfeldskiDined on 8/9/2014We had party of six. We sat in the outside portion-Noise level was good there. Food and atmosphere were great. We had not been there and we weren't expecting much. Turned out to be a great mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, but worth it.MikeyDined on 8/9/2014Gorgeous view from almost any table. Excellent, knowledgeable and friendly service. Excellent food presentation. Interesting mixed drinks menu. Gluten-free/dairy-free offerings were somewhat limited.Special Features:
- golferOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014Excellent find especially on half price wine Wednesday. The food fabulos and great service. The sun room was perfect with view of ocean and much quieter than main dining area. Thai calamari and chowder fries a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ran out of fishBondwest1VIPDined on 8/4/2014I called ahead to see what fish they had- It was only 7 pm- so how can you be the House of Big Fish and run out of Ono fish on the menu? The server- Emily - was awesome and apologetic. So we ate appetizers, drank wine- but went to another restaurant down the street for fish This is the third time I have been disappointed here since they changed their menu July 4th. The owners also own K'ya that i usually love, but a few weels ago i was there and the food was not very good Are there new owners? Someone is not watching things close enough
- Our favorite for chowderOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014As always the fish, chowder, and beer were great. The salmon special, while good, was smaller than expected. One issue was that one of our group ordered the Ono, which he claimed was dry. He reordered the same dish and it came out very undercooked even though it took a long time to arrive. He then switched to a burger which not only took so long that it made us late but was still charged on our bill. Service was attentive and knowledgeable .Special Features:
- The following 466 reviews are from the Big Fish Tavern reviews archive.