Big Bowl - Schaumburg
1950 E. Higgins Rd
Schaumburg, IL 60173Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Big Bowl - Schaumburg
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bigbowl.com/
- Phone: (847) 517-8881
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:15am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:15a m- 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Marc Bernard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have party trays available for carry out or delivery through Take Out Taxi. Trays come in 2 sizes and cover the entire menu. Please call Take-Out-Taxi @ 847-882-2525 to place an order for delivery only.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a semi private dining area that can seat up to 40 people. Week end rates and restrictions apply.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 847-517-8881x
- Cross Street: Hwy 53/290 and Higgins
- Public Transit: Schaumburg Pace station 1/4 mile north west of the restaurant. Trolley service to/from Woodfield Mall available.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Free Parking is available immediately around the building, or in the parking garage to the west of the restaurant.
A word from Big Bowl - Schaumburg
Big Bowl is a pioneering Asian restaurant, vibrant in design and cuisine, offering the latest in authentic Chinese and Thai food. Using market fresh ingredients, Big Bowl’s signatures include dim sum sized appetizers, pad thai, seafood, some truly hot and spicy food, and fresh made ginger ale and lemonade.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
Big Bowl - Schaumburg - Best Restaurants in Schaumburg ›
Big Bowl - Schaumburg reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (51)good for groups (49)great for lunch (48)kid-friendly (39)special occasion (29)neighborhood gem (27)great for outdoor dining (18)romantic (13)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (8)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great as alwaysVitsDined on 11/23/2014We were a group of 3 , we were seated right away even a few min before our reservation. The waiter was great, we ordered appetizers the riblets and pot stickers were awesome, the sesame chicken is so tender and very tasty. Over all we were very pleased with our experience at Big Bowl. A couple suggestions, add Sushi to the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cramped!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2014Food was OK. Portions were ample. There were 4 adults and a baby. Seated in a cramped corner, small table.
- aryanDined on 11/21/2014The front desk was very rude and mentioned they had wait time for 1 hour...we had to do a take away...as our kid had become very hungry....
- Our waitress was wonderful and made the night!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2014The atmosphere was perfect, not too quiet that we couldn' bring our 5 year old son with us to enjoy a special birthday out for dinner with the family. We thouroughly enjoyed the drinks and the service. The food was amazing as always and we will be back!! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okJustokDined on 11/12/2014Not as good as other Lettuce Entertain You Restaurants We love Wildfire and Maggiano's, so we were excited to try a different Lettuce Entertain You restaurant. Sadly we were disappointed in Big Bowl. Good things: - Service was very good. Very attentive waiter - Nice looking decor. Things to work on: - Small portions: We had the BBQ Ribs, you get about 1 1/2 rib cut up into pieces. Roughly a 3rd of what you would get at a normal Chinese Restaurant but at double the price. Not a good equation (less food for more price) For a place called Big Bowl, the portions were tiny. Perhaps they call it Big Bowl because you get a Big Bowl with just a little food in it. - Taste: Again highlighting the Ribs, the taste was off. Not horrific, but not good either. Did not wow us. Also I had their natural chicken with my stir fry - the natural chicken did not taste natural. Again not horrific, but not good either. In short, if you don't like eating food and just want to sit around in a cool looking environment - you'll enjoy this place. If you are on a diet, this place is great! You will not be tempted to finish the plate and the portions are small enough that you'll stay well with in your meal plan. If you are looking for good tasting food with good portions for the money - find somewhere else. Note I highly recommend Wildfire! :)
- Always enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 11/8/2014We are never disappointed by the food. Fresh and flavorful. We were seated right away with our opentable reservation. Always great!Special Features:
- don't order Kung PaoCrystalVIPDined on 11/6/2014It was supposed to be noodles and vegetables - MILD. It was slop, way over seasoned and spicy. Since I was with a client, I didn't feel right in returning my dish. Oily, messy and bad. Order something else when you go there.
- late night findMrB2013VIPDined on 11/1/2014Found out to be a great late night spot after going to the movies and had a very nice occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarBdollBarBdollDined on 11/1/2014The dinner was for my Birthday, and the service and food was very good. We were not as happy with the streamlining of the drink menu, but the drink that was suggested by the server to my daughter was delicious!Special Features:
- best vegetable fried ricebigbowluvVIPDined on 11/1/2014loved their service and make your own turned out awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of quality in the meats usedPerryandReneeVIPDined on 11/1/2014I went for lunch here a couple of months ago and was pleased with the overall experience. However, this time we went for dinner with a friend and I noticed some problems with our experience. It is a very busy place, and the atmosphere is looking a little tired and old from all of the traffic it processes. The bigger problem is with the food. The flavors are delicious, but the quality of the meats utilized were substandard. I had a chicken dish and my wife beef...both were grisly and chewy. However, the service from the front door to the wait staff was very good to excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodIsueDined on 10/29/2014Nice menu. Not exactly Chinese or Thai but taste is good for the American version of these meals. Noise was a bit too much for a group outing or business lunch.Special Features:
- Good food good serviceLarryDined on 10/26/2014Enjoyed some good sesame chicken. Generous portion. Good flavor. Very good waiter.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience as usualRenchardDined on 10/25/2014Food was wonderful and service excellent, friendly and efficient without feeling rushed. I like their wine list too.Special Features:
- Nice, but...TandRDined on 10/25/2014The Schaumburg location was fun but more cramped. I like the Lincilnshire location better as it is more open and a little more formal feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was so thirsty-ScurdaDined on 10/25/2014Our server never addressed that we had two empty water glasses almost the entire time. He was rude and rarely stopped by eventhough he did not appear to be very busy. He seemed more concerned about conversating with fellow servers and the hosts than serving his table. The food was delicious as always, though!
- spend your money and time elsewherePickieVIPDined on 10/20/2014I managed to give my order and he got about half of it right (brought the salad with no wontons, as requested, but it was drenched in dressing that I had asked to be left on the side). He never returnedso I didn't have a chance to send it back. Then, I finally caught his eye, signed that I needed my check - which he brought, after a while, I told him I was in a hurry, and put my rewards card code on the check - which he didn't apply. And he was GONE! I had to go into another room to find him chatting at the bar, then it took another 10 minutes and two people to correct the charges. There are so many good restaurants with good service in Schaumburg and Chicago - Big Bowl just isn't one of them. Spend your time and money somewhere else.Special Features:
- Pad ThaiShockedDined on 10/18/2014It looked like Pad Thai but tasted like something different. Would not recommend this at all.
- Big BowlRicoDined on 10/17/2014It's my second time eating at Big Bowl and it's always a pleasure! The food is great and the staff is just as great. We will most definitely be coming back for dinner here in the future.Special Features:
- Just OKSuburbanGirlDined on 10/11/2014Appetizers were very good. Two in our party sent their entrees back and ordered something else. Service was very good though.
- Big Bowl Friday NightFilledwithFoodDined on 10/10/2014We were happily surprised at 6:30 pm, to get a reservation at 7:00 pm on a Friday night at Big Bowl in Schaumburg. Our waitress was friendly & the food was excellent. We would use Open Table & eat at Big Bowl again.Special Features:
- hossa81Dined on 10/10/2014This is my third time in the last couple of months and I always order the same thing. I just love it. Scallops and shrimp with a slightly spicy ginger sauce will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okNannyDined on 10/4/2014Bland plain food. Drinks very expensive . Server was good but she was very odd and got slow towards end of our visit. She didn't explain any meals to us like the male server at table near us - wish we had him! He really sold the dishes to his guests.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014Great service!!! We were seated right on time for our reservation, even though the restaurant was extremely busy (an hour wait for walk-ins).Special Features:
- Good fun on a Saturday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/27/2014Enjoyed the food and the service. We will definitely be back! Thanks Jason.Special Features:
- Much improvedAvisVIPDined on 9/22/2014Very happy with their new-ish menu. The Kung Pao Tofu (order it extra spicy) was really tasty. Our servers were very nice and didn't rush us, even though we sat around for hours.Special Features:
- Good food and diverse menuLilyflowrzVIPDined on 9/19/2014We loved the food. Our waitress did not understand us and we did not understand her. I felt like I was in a foreign country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerAbzr600Dined on 9/19/2014We went to celebrate 22 years of marriage. My wife has been there before and ordered off the you choose bar. We chose to order off the menu this time . Mongolian beef is what I had and wife had shrimp and scallops. Satay chicken and veggie spring roll for appetizers. We were served appetizers and meal within 10 minutes of ordering... Way to fast for my liking. Food was mediocre. Wife's scallops were like eating jello. Mongolian beef was so so. I will go back again to try the food bar. But I don't think I will order off the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick Service for LunchHappyCamperVIPDined on 9/17/2014I was concerned about going to Big Bowl for lunch but was pleasantly surprised how quickly we were served. I had Pad Thai-which was OK-not spectacular. It was very fresh, but it seemed like a lot of money for mostly noodles. My friend had Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice-again it was expensive considering the portion size but it was good. Might be a good place to go for a special occasion but I have other places I like better for Chinese Food that are less expensive.Special Features:
- Great customer servicewickedgoodDined on 9/13/2014The menu item I ordered was not the same as the description on the menu. Unfortunately, asparagus was out of season and I didn't care for the vegetables that were used in place of the asparagus. Thankfully our server made certain to bring me a different dish that I thoroughly enjoyed and gave us a complimentary dessert. The customer service is always outstanding, and they are quick to address any issues which may occur.Special Features:
- SusieSusieDined on 9/13/2014Always great food, service and ambiance. We love coming here, and come as often as we can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st timerscynkataDined on 9/13/2014We have always wanted to try big bowl. Had some gift cards so we made reservations and heading out there. It was definitely worth the 40 min drive. Food was great and our server was very helpful. Even my picky son loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014Food was tasty and they were able to accomodate a wide variety of eating styles.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceCubanGalVIPDined on 9/10/2014Unfortunately, we did not get the server's name - we were seated in the center of the restaurant, just after 7pm on sept 10. This young man was courteous, friendly, patient, and was there whenever needed. He noticed a greeting card on the table and asked what we were celebrating, then assured a dessert with a candle was brought to our table at the end of the meal. We have been loyal customers for years, when something has not been right, they have stepped up and earned our repeat business - in spite of many changes to menu and presentation, it is their service that continues to impress. Thank you!Special Features:
- Funfuturex332Dined on 9/10/2014Went there with a group of ladies (8) of us and we asked to eat in the bar area since we could get loud ourselves. The staff was very helpful, made recommendations that were very much appreciated. The food was very good, everyone liked their meal. The drinks were very good. Had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceluvchinthaiDined on 9/8/2014I ordered the Kung Pao chicken and it was good but too salty and I usually eat salty food but this was a bit much for me and I had to let my server know and he was awesome about it and got me another dish of my choice. Usually you don't get charged for the dish you send back but he went above and beyond and took care of our dessert as well. It was a birthday lunch for my best friend and he made it a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodCookie6Dined on 9/7/2014It was our granddaughters 16th birthday and besides our food being so good, we also had a great dessert that our waitress brought out. She was really thrilled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok but...PaulOVIPDined on 9/5/2014I met a colleague at Big Bowl for lunch as it was central for us and I have to say I was underwhelmed by the state of the restaurant and the food. Our server was fantastic as it was very busy yet she was always there when we needed something. I know it is a very busy area and the restaurant is busy most of the time but both my colleague and I thought the restaurant looked tired and the food was ok but I think other restaurants are passing them up in terms of creativity and freshness.Special Features:
- No Longer tops my listSonomaDined on 9/1/2014I have been to Big Bowl several times. I return for their delicious healthy and zesty appetizers and their home made ginger ale (it does vary in flavor batch to batch). Appreciating their healthier choices in dishes. Not thrilled with the service as it seems to get progressively worse. Front end likes to ignore guests even though, there is usually 2 or more people present. Recently I walked up to the front desk during a meal because our server was no where to be located until check time, to ask for sugar and chopsticks. First I was (again) ignored, eventually I was asked what I wanted - just to turn away leaving me stranded before finally the second hostess asked and delivered. Celebrating a birthday was a BAD idea at Big Bowl.Special Features:
- teriyaki firedriceSanjeevDined on 8/31/2014I love Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice and Kunfu noodlesSpecial Features: