60 E Ohio St
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bigbowl.com/
- Phone: 3129511888x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Chinese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have an elevated semi private area of the restaurant that can seat up to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Laura Nessel 312-589-7001x
- Cross Street: Ohio & Rush
- Public Transit: The red line stops at Grand and State which is only a few minute walk to Big Bowl.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a public parking garage directly above Big Bowl on Ohio Street. There are two entrances, one off Ohio St just past the corner of Wabash and Rush on the North side of the street The other entrance is on Rush St just north of Ohio St on the west side. Both are denoted by a green sign with a white "P" on it.
A word from Big Bowl-Ohio
Big Bowl is a pioneering Asian restaurant, vibrant in design and cuisine that offers the latest authentic Chinese and Thai food. Using market-fresh ingredients, Big Bowl’s signatures include “dim sum-sized” appetizers that encourage sharing, Pad Thais, seafood, some truly hot & spicy food, and fresh made ginger ale. Diners from singles to family-style parties, end the meal as they began, with a sampling of “dim sum” desserts.Located in the heart of River North.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
Big Bowl-Ohio - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Big Bowl-Ohio reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (32)fit for foodies (27)good for groups (27)neighborhood gem (22)kid-friendly (18)special occasion (14)hot spot (7)romantic (6)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Something for almost everyoneWendyDined on 9/11/2014The best thing about Big Bowl is that the menu is so broad that almost everyone can find something they like. Everything is made fresh. I frequently will bring colleagues from out of town to Big Bowl because it fits everyone's budgets and I've never known anyone to not be able to find something on the menu. I know it's a "chain" but it's not a "everything comes from a pre-packaged plan" chain.Special Features:
- Too much cilantro!FamilyofFoodiesDined on 9/6/2014I cannot recommend at all! Most of our dishes were overdosed with cilantro! Kinda weird, something I expect in Mexican dishes, which I like. They did however have killer calamari! But that is all I can say we liked, and there were 7 of us!
- Everything we tried was good!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Our first time will not be the last at this restaurant. Everything from appetizers to our main entrées we tried were all good! OpenTable once again came thru for us! Reservations were so easy.Special Features:
- Good, Not GreatJohnsonVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food is good, the desert is very good. However if you have a favorite Chinese restaurant in your neighborhood go there, it's not worth the extra trip. Nothing was a real stand out. But if you're close by then it's a good place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JorgeDined on 8/3/2014Comimos muy rico y el servicio excelente así como el de la reservación les agradeZco el detalle Un abrazo 🙏I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favesEnjoyagoodmealDined on 7/28/2014Big Bowl never disappoints...great food and drinks and super staff!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get it right the next time!RAMOSJUDined on 7/27/2014I was not overly impressed. First off they didnt have my reservation even though I had received a confirmation from Open Table. I had to find the e-mail confirmation in order to prove to the hostess that I had made a reservation. We then had to wait 15 minutes in order for our table to be ready. Once seated the service was good except they managed to mess up my order and I had to wait an additional 15 mintues to receive what I had originally ordered. When I finally received my order, I will say that the food was good. I will give this restaurant another chance and hopefully they will get everything right the first time.Special Features:
- great FoodtomgVIPDined on 7/21/2014Great food ,great service Food portions were big (we ordered too much lol)Special Features:
- Consistent productWoodstockFoodieDined on 7/12/2014Big Bowl has great tasting food and they consistently make it regardless of the location - Chicago, Schaumburg, Lincolnshire - as one should expect of a restaurant chain. But despite the casual atmosphere, the kitchen pays attention to the details that make a great dish. Have not been dissatisfied with any entree or appetizer I have chosen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really yummyDebiVIPDined on 7/6/2014Just had eggrolls and shrimp summer roll for a light dinner. Was delicious and service very friendly and nice. One of our favorite places!Special Features:
- not so greattexsunstarDined on 7/4/2014ordered one dish three times until they got it right - didn't want it spicy and came out twice with hot peppers. very noisy table behind us with lots of kids whose parents had no desire to ask them to sit down, stop bumping into our chairs, etc. waitress was so frazzled that manager had to help her serve and it really wasn't even that busy. won't go back to that location but thanks for the free desserts! like lincolnshire location much better!Special Features:
- Good experienceJbendVIPDined on 6/30/2014Like the mix of Chinese and Thai options. We ordered a variety of small plates and enjoyed the lettuce wraps, chicken and pork dumplings and shrimp rolls. The broccoli was really good and full of flavor. Service was good though it was busy for lunch and the staff seemed stretched a little thin. All in all, we enjoyed it and would return when in the area.Special Features:
- Personalized Asian FoodHighlandParkBrianDined on 6/24/2014Wonderful menu and quick service. Our family had a wonderful evening here - we all personalized our favorite ingredients to make something unique.....that would just take too much time to put together at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunch spotAW97Dined on 6/17/2014Had lunch here and really appreciated the number of gluten free options on the menu. Food was decent, good spot for lunch if you work in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, salty foodChgoOCVIPDined on 6/16/2014Our server was fantastic, offering appetizer and dish selections without being annoying. Of the group of ten, everyone had a different dish and we l had the same complaint- the dishes were loaded with sodium.Special Features:
- Tasty Chinese & ThaiReviewerDined on 6/16/2014We have eaten here many times. The food is really good.Special Features:
- Great service &good foodD00dDined on 6/11/2014My first time here. The waiter took time to explain the menu options to me. He was patient, friendly, and attentive. He refilled my drink twice without asking. The food delivery was timely and hot. I got the pork potstickers which were a tad small but tasty. My entree was the Thai red hot pepper noodles. The quantity was perfect. The dish was tasty and very spicy. I would definitely go again and order the same thing or something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ValueCindyLuvs2DineDined on 6/8/2014Big Bowl offered good food, vibe, and location for the money. I plan to return.Special Features:
- The satay chicken is tastelesslovegoodfoodDined on 5/31/2014if you are just dining with two... you aren't apparently as valuable to them. The waiter brought free appetizers to a party table next to us and barely looked twice at my dad and me. guess we didn't rate with him. he gushed over them the first time you're at our restaurant... let me show you etc. he didn't do that with us and it was the first time we were there too. this was really annoying. The food was passable -it actually tasted a lot better the next day as leftovers than it did in the restaurant. there are seasonal things they have which are nice. The food is better than average but nothing to write home about. We mixed the sauce of one dish with the main part of another dish and came away with a good meal.
- AnneVIPDined on 5/27/2014Interesting variety of food, especially for those who consider the source and healthfulness of the food to be important. The detailed information of all of the choices, given by our waiter, was a great help. The manager and all were very accommodating. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 323 reviews are from the Big Bowl-Ohio reviews archive.
- Nothing fancyDinerDined on 4/24/2014We checked into our hotel late in the evening & decided to eat here because it was close to our hotel. We loved the chicken & peanut egg rolls. I did the stir fry bar & my husband had the curry chicken (pretty spicy). We both liked our food. Service was good.Special Features:
- Off its markOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/13/2014We've been to Big Bowl Ohio many times. Something was off. My drink arrived with the strawberry slopped down the side. That seemed to set the tone with the exception of the potstickers we shared. Both entrees were not up to what we expect and have received in the past.., not awful, but not particularly good either.
- Rush, rush, rushPaulVIPDined on 4/9/2014I felt the waiter rushed us at every step of our meal. I realize they may want to turn over tables quickly because of their limited seating. But the meal was rushed. I like peanuts. But there were way too many peanuts in my meal and not enough chicken. I will not "rush" backSpecial Features:
- Nice evening!BinkxDined on 3/24/2014This was our third visit to Big Bowl. The food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Initial problem with service, but..smz1VIPDined on 3/23/2014Waited a long period of time for server, seemed to be some confusion, but once rectified, no issues. Food was great, noise level was pretty loud. Crowded place on a Sunday evening to boot, but would go back. Gilly (our waitress) was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!FrequentEaterVIPDined on 3/7/2014Had wanted to go there for a long time. The food was simply not good--any Asian restaurant can beat this place!
- Valentines DinnerJeffDined on 2/14/2014I chose Big Bowl for a Valentines Dinner for my wife and another couple. The girls both enjoy Thai food. I'm not a big fan, but It was a night for them. We opted for the group share dinner. It's is well worth the price per person. Giving you salad and noodles, appetizers, three entree choices. The restaurant was packed out especially being Valentines night, but the wait staff handled everything perfectly. Each course came out looking good, served quickly, and we never felt rushed to get us fed and out the door. The girls loved the curry chicken dish and the potstickers. We also checked out a new place called Eataly right across the street and would definitely recommend checking that out after dinner for a great Italian coffee and dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rekindling Date NightNuttyNetty3Dined on 2/12/2014Good restaurant selection. Ambience was great, waiter was exceptional very tentative. The food was great.Special Features:
- Solid.GregVIPDined on 1/29/2014Big Bowl is consistently good, serving fresh, high-quality, thoughtful versions of Southeast Asia's greatest hits dishes. It is not the little-known dive in Chinatown that serves the best Peking duck this side of the Great Wall, but it's not trying to be. The menu is on the larger side (presumably, due to a lot of similar ingredients used in different preparations), but there are always new dishes to try alongside tried and true staples. This time, I started with the pho, which was fine, but the broth lacked vigor and the bean sprouts, Fresno chilis and Thai basil looked anemic. But then, it was on to the Kung Pao chicken (extra spicy, with noodles) which is fantastic. Suffice to say, I'll be back again and again.
- Not what it used to beDeboVIPDined on 1/25/2014We used to come to Big Bowl regularly but the past couple of occasions have been awful. The food tasted like bleach on this past visit (both entrees) and they now have terrible quality meat (although it doesn't matter much since they've replaced most of the meat portions with various filler items). It's the worst example of a restaurant continually driving costs down until the food just becomes disgusting. We won't be going back anytime soon.
- Consistently Fun and TastystarvingartistDined on 1/10/2014We always enjoy dining out at Big Bowl. There are options for everyone, including plenty of vegetarian. The food is consistently yummy. You can eat heartily or healthy. I always enjoy the housemade ginger drinks. The service was really great and our waiter promptly corrected a problem with our gift card. Highly recommended restaurant for a special event or when guests come to town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciouslabradorDined on 12/23/2013Great range of dishes that were well cooked. The added bonus was that wine was half price on a Monday, which made our visit even better value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedKikiVIPDined on 12/23/2013Service was very fair and we waited a long time for food and in between courses and it wasn't busy.Some of our food was just warm and not hot. We ordered soup to share and that took awhile to get to the table, we waited long to get our main courses which came out one by one for us. green beans had a nice flavor but came out warm not hot. It was as if they were sitting on the line for awhile. There was a long wait to get the food between our courses.As soon as we got our entrees I asked for the check but got no pen to sign my credit card receipt. I couldn't sign my receipt and left a cash tip. No one was at the door to thank us as we departed & the bartender didn't say ank you or good bye. I would expect more out of a LEYE restaurant.
- Always great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/22/2013Had the special pacific shrimp soup and it was great to share and perfect for the weather! The yellow coconut curry stir fry bar is amazing!!! Great left overs too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable go-toflyndineVIPDined on 12/22/2013We last dunes here 3 years prior and are glad to see that things have not changed. The homemade ginger ale is great. Fun atmosphere and reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!LunaVIPDined on 12/22/2013You can always get a good meal at Big Bowl! We have been to a few of them and they are always spot on. They are reasonably priced, great selection of items on the menu, and good drinks! You can't go wrong with the Big Bowl!Special Features:
- Not authenticsbetz6Dined on 12/21/2013Was disappointed , as we expected more from a Lettuce Entertain You Restaurant. Looks like a diner, but thought the food would outshine the lack of atmosphere. We were wrong. We have three international students from China, Korea and Thailand. We were hoping they would enjoy a taste of home, but they did not like it at all. PfChangs is 100 % better. The place was extremely crowded and there is no place for people waiting for a table to stand. Some people where spilling into the eating area and standing by our table near the door. Waiter wasn't very helpful but was friendly.
- Always good!Ryan4Dined on 12/20/2013Have been here several times, never had a bad meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, reasonable pricesBinrahVIPDined on 12/19/2013Service was initially slow, but more than made up for it once we told someone we had not been visited by a waitress after sitting more than 15 minutes. From that point forward service was attentive with great service recovery of free appetizers. You are easily able to have a conversation in this restaurant. Dress is casual and overall atmosphere is conducive to groups just wanting to have a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reservation was at 12-pm,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2013reservation was at 12-pm, it opens at 11:30 am and they were already out of sapporo beer and mai tais- how does that happen, especially at a lettuce rest., food was below average, that is very rare for lettuce entertain you rest., i would have been better off giving the $ 120 to charity !