6 E. Cedar
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bigbowl.com/
- Phone: 3126408888x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Thursday: 11am-10pm, Friday-Saturday: 11am-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Chinese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Big Bowl-Cedar
Big Bowl is a pioneering Asian restaurant, vibrant in design and cuisine, offering the latest in Chinese and Thai food. Using market-fresh ingredients, Big Bowl’s signatures include dim sum-sized appetizers, pad thai, seafood, some truly hot and spicy food and fresh made ginger ale.Continued
Join the Big Bowl Mobile Club
Text BIGBOWL to 30364 for exclusive offers & free eats!
Join the Big Bowl Mobile Club
Text BIGBOWL to 30364 for exclusive offers & free eats!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
Big Bowl-Cedar - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Big Bowl-Cedar reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (20)great for lunch (18)good for groups (18)kid-friendly (16)great for outdoor dining (11)special occasion (8)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (7)romantic (6)scenic view (6)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Oh So GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/17/2014Never disappointed at Big Bowl! I like the Cedar Street location with its open air atmosphere. Andreais our server did a great job. Our food was delicious, hot and taste. There were four of us, I had Mongolian Beef with wide noodles, it was excellent. Those that had sir fry were very happy with their selection. With the stir fry you choose your own vegetables, protein and sauce which is "fun" to do. The pomegranate ginger ale was a very big hit, always a refreshing beverage. I also had the spicy noodles as an appetizer, they are my favorite, served cold with the best peanut sauce ever. I always enjoy Big Bowl & its up there with my favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- ReviewreviewerVIPDined on 9/14/2014Big Bowl has had some transitions over the past several months and the food is uneven.
- Rude Manager Paulunhappycustomer1VIPDined on 9/10/2014I have eaten there more time than I can count, always loved the food and service. This time I asked for them to warm up the air conditioning or open the doors, the hostess said no, the waiter said he can't due to manager and the manager was simply arrogant, rude and abrasive in the way he proclaimed he would do nothing. He h I left and will never go back. In a day of social media, hiring someone of that calibre is just stupid.
- Consistently goodfashionableVIPDined on 9/6/2014We hadn't been to Big Bowl for some time, but it hadn't changed and the food was still very good. You can choose and refine any of your choices to get it just right, so don't hesitate to ask. Our waitress was exceptional which always helps when you like things the way you like them. Will go more often now that PJ Clarke's on State has been sold and much diminished. The choices here are terrific and everyone should be able to find the perfect food combinations. The new barbecue pork buns were delicious and an unexpected presentation that was great.Special Features:
- Chinese-ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We were in the mood for Chinese and didn't know of any in the area. Our handy smart phone pointed out this restaurant. The food was great! All 4 of us loved the meals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Informal MealElmhurstGuyDined on 8/29/2014Big Bowl was able to accomodate our table for 8 on a Friday night. It was a rare opportunity to find a table that size in that neighborhood at an informal restaurant that was suitable for both adults and children. Everyone was really happy with their meal. There's a kids menu, they liked the homemade ginger ale and dessert. Adults all enjoyed their meals, which were all ordered off the menu - nobody wanted to do the wok station. Valet parking for $10 is a deal in the neighborhood too. I'd go back again, especially with kids.Special Features:
- Slow KitchenChiDinerDined on 8/17/2014Asked for salmon without glaze. Burnt first filet - long delay before advising. Less an issue with server, more with kitchen. Food reliably good, but an easy order shouldn't have been so difficult.Special Features:
- Great AnniversaryDisappointedVIPDined on 8/17/2014We came in to celebrate our 36th wedding anniversary with my parents who were married on the same date. They were celebrating their 64th. Combined, we celebrated 100 years of marriage and our server treated us great. My wife and I are regulars but my parents were in town from Florida and had never been to Big Bowl before. They left impressed and kept mentioning what a great experience it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai yesJannieVIPDined on 8/13/2014One of our favorites...best spring rolls and special sauces...wonderful Kung Paola beef great sangriaSpecial Features:
- Yum!IamMBBDined on 8/12/2014I try to get over here every time I visit downtown Chicago. Love the Asian menu selections and the make your own stir fry is fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Great staff. Very friendly. Food was on point. Our server was fantastic. Do not recall his name but he was a tall young blonde gentleman. Thanks for the awesome service :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KelleyDined on 8/2/2014The chicken pad thai was delicious and the pomegranite sangria was very flavorful. The service was great!Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/27/2014Service and attention to detail with a 5 year old on the table was phenomenal. Really appreciated it and made the overall experience quite pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayMoonRiver1VIPDined on 7/27/2014For a Lettuce Entertain You restaurant I expect more. The food is always very good; but the service is sub-par. We ordered wine - was not offered a taste first. Also asked for two glasses of ice on the side - was brought two ice waters. I tried to explain we had a reservation and the hostess did not even check our name but simply had us taken to an ordinary table as if we were walk-ins. (I saw other reserved table signs). It's convenient because it is in the neighborhood, but of all the Lettuce restaurants it ranks toward the bottom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Regular at Big BowlAliceBCVIPDined on 7/19/2014Works for my healthy eating style! I eat there all the time.Special Features:
- Great Service Good Food!dbenesDined on 7/18/2014Big Bowl is always a nice spot for a dinner date, customer service is on top game and the food is always cooked just right!Special Features:
- Fabulous as alwaysTwoOneNineDined on 7/11/2014The food is consistently good. We love the organic, local options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerwfb42VIPDined on 7/2/2014I like both the dinner and service the staff is very accommodating and helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 239 reviews are from the Big Bowl-Cedar reviews archive.
- Good foodPgL2013VIPDined on 6/24/2014Great food, great service. Enjoy this local hot spot
- Fantastic as always!Hungry4ThaiDined on 6/14/2014The food was absolutely wonderful as always! Whenever my family comes up we come here. They like to come here to start out with the great sangrias and appetizers. I had the Ahi Tune with sauteed noodles which was really incredible. It was really good tuna with very interesting infusion of flavors. We also got the Teriyaki Chicken that was very good and we were glad to see they added it back onto the menu. Great value for the meals. Its a restaurant that is a gem and becomes a community with their classes in cooking and other things once you get on their list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menua ChangesDebiVIPDined on 6/14/2014The menu recently changed and went back to "old" menu with some of the newer menu items kept. Whoever made the eggrolls on Saturday morning, did NOT make them correctly. Not only were they half the size they are supposed to be, they did not have the magic ingredient (peanut sauce) in them as they were supposed to have. This is what makes these egg rolls so good! I asked waiter about this and he didn't have a clue and I specifically told him that they were not correct and if he could talk to the manager. Not only did he NOT talk to the manager, he made no effort to correct this problem, either by removing the charges from our bill or providing us perhaps with a coupon for a free appetizer the next time we came.Special Features:
- Allergy FriendlyJenGDined on 6/14/2014I've eaten at Big Bowl and always had great food and a wonderful experience but recently my daughter developed a dairy allergy. Both our waiter and the manager were so accommodating of our needs. They even pointed out that they use a special plate with red trim to indicate to everyone that this is a special order. I completely recommend this place to anyone with allergies.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/8/2014Food keeps getting worse and worse here. We live in. Neighborhood so we come here from time to time. I never really Like it but this was The worst. So greasy and just awful food.
- Uninspired meal - good serviceTravelGirlVIPDined on 5/31/2014Our last meal here was excellent. Today w/out Chef Patricia Yeo being here, food was lackluster and uninspired - not awful but not great. Sort of reminiscent of a chain restaurant. Our server was new but made a supreme effort to find out what he didn't know and was helpful and friendly. Sangria was flavored excellently but seemed week and sort of watery. Pork Buns were well flavored but buns were cold and soggy. Crab bites were tasty but again the filling was mushy - texture was off. 15 spice beef was superb as usual, pork fried rice was also but the szechuan beef was mainly veggies with very little beef. We will definitely come back and hope this was an unusual occurrence. A brighter dining room would also help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten-Free FriendlyAJFergusonDined on 5/16/2014Big Bowl has a great gluten free menu & takes great care of those with allergies. They are my number one choice for a night out. The food is great and the service is even better. Been here many times and will keep going back. I'm constantly recommending them to my friends & family.Special Features:
- Love the summer rolls and ahi tunawaldmkaVIPDined on 5/15/2014We got the lobster summer rolls, the shrimp summer rolls. The dipping sauces make them even better. Tried the ahi tuna and noodles. I just found a new favorite!Special Features:
- sexxyVIPDined on 4/30/2014Steak & crispy noodles as well as Peppered tuna & wide rice noodles were delicious as well as a coconut chocolate chip chocolate syrup sundae was a perfect closer. Server very cute & attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WARNING! Different (bad) menuChicagoEaterVIPDined on 4/29/2014This Big Bowl has a different, smaller menu than the one on Ohio Street. All I wanted was the shrimp scallop dish and there was not a scallop to be had on the menu. Also, no thai beef lettuce wraps. The menu at this location is a serious bummer. I would recommend NOT going to this location - I bet it won't be open much longer.
- Portion size and quality is lackingThegroupVIPDined on 4/29/2014Chicken and beef dishes are not very generous. Mongolian beef quality was not good.Special Features:
- Excellent SalmonfoodandwineloverchgoVIPDined on 4/7/2014All the food was good and well priced. The most delicious thing was the Salmon entrée; it was very fine quality fish and seemed to be extremely fresh...both of which are so important with regard to fish.
- JP - BigBowlJP007VIPDined on 4/6/2014We had the trout special and the ahi tuna for entrees and dumplings for an appetizer. Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyPurrrrryDined on 4/5/2014Me and and friend had the shrimp toast and potstickers convo and as app and that alone was tremendous. As far as entrees we order Mongolian beef and the sesame chicken and split the two....again that was delicious and to too if all off was the warm dark chocolate cake....I will definitely be going here again soon!!Special Features:
- Surprisingly Good FoodEagle779VIPDined on 4/4/2014This place has surprisingly good food for a formulaic chain restaurant. The BBQ salmon was perfectly cooked and flavorful, and the Panang curry chicken was well prepared and mildly spiced. Service is a bit shaky but adequate. Exceedingly limited wine list has a couple of adequate cheap wines by the glass - beer would be a better choice. The vibrant bar scene can produce a lot of noise on a busy night.Special Features:
- We always enjoy he ambianceJohnVIPDined on 3/29/2014We always enjoy he ambiance at this restaurant, lively and energetic. Also, we usually enjoy the food, this time hot and sour soup, chicken lettuce wrap and the select your own vegetable stir fry.
- Disappointing dinnerpmmorDined on 3/22/2014Was disappointed with our overall dining experience. I made a comment to the restaurant in my Open Table reservation that we were celebrating a birthday. This is my niece's favorite place to eat and we brought her here to celebrate her birthday. No mention was made of the birthday, nor did she receive a complimentary dessert for the occasion. Also, it seems like there are not a lot of entree options on the menu compared with past dining experiences, and my husband and I both thought the portions were on the small side. I think it will be a while before we return here in the future. There are too many other restaurants to try.Special Features:
- always a great choiceFoodguruVIPDined on 3/20/2014We had a nice time at Big Bowl. Pot stickers and spring rolls are excellent. The beef and broccoli is one of the best ever. Pad Thai looked good tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPgL2013VIPDined on 3/20/2014Food here is always great and you dont have to wait long to get i!Special Features:
- Out of town friendsdinertalkDined on 3/14/2014Brought two friends from out of time. Had great food and waiter was attentive and informative. Sangria the best!Special Features:
- tastywittyVIPDined on 3/9/2014I like the new additions and menu changes - very good for lunch or dinner and variety of portion sizes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/9/2014I am not one to mention servers by name in reviews, whether positively or negatively, but in this case, I have to proclaim how awesome Patrick was. As my recent dive into veganism is in its early stages, dining out has become quite interesting. I have to say, how accommodating and gracious Patrick was about my 'diet choice' really blew me and my guest away. As a matter of fact, they already have a vegan item on the menu, but he offered to check on a few other things for me, which allowed me some variety. Awesome job! Thanks for allowing me to feel welcomed and leave full and happy. As an aside, bring back the old prep for the cashew chicken! (proclaimed my guest)I would recommend this to a friend.