Big 4 Restaurant
1075 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Big 4 Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.big4restaurant.com/
- Phone: 4157711140x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday through Saturday, 6:30a.m. - 10:00a.m.
Breakfast: Sunday, 6:30a.m. - 10:30a.m.
Brunch: Sunday, 10:30a.m. - 2:30p.m.
Lunch: Monday through Saturday, 11:30a.m. - 2:00p.m.
Dinner: Monday through Sunday, 5:30p.m. - 10:00p.m.
Bar: Monday through Sunday, 11:30a.m. - 12:a.m.; Thursday, Friday and Saturday, open until 1:00a.m.
Bar Bites Menu: Monday through Sunday, 11:30a.m. - 10:30p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Scott
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Kandis Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Entertainment: Live piano, seven nights a week in the lounge. No vocals.
- Special Events: Please contact Kandis Moore at email@example.com.
A word from Big 4 Restaurant
Located off the lobby of The Scarlet Huntington hotel, the Big 4 Restaurant is a true culinary experience set in a club-like ambiance-with contemporary American cuisine, a classic bar, live piano music nightly and rich in San Francisco history. Set in an elegant early California decor, rich green leather banquettes and sparkling beveled glass surround an incomparable collection of Gold Rush and Western Railroad memorabilia. Guests enjoy the heady ambiance while savoring perennial favorites from renowned Chef Kevin Scott, who brings a wealth of creativity to the menu with his focus on locally-sourced and seasonal ingredients. The Big 4 Restaurant is a true local favorite--a San Francisco culinary gem.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Big 4 Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Nob Hill ›
Big 4 Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (64)romantic (55)neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (31)vibrant bar scene (30)notable wine list (24)good for groups (16)late-night find (12)great for lunch (12)hot spot (7)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Big FourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014I have been going to this restaurant for years. It was recently sold and we were all worried that it would be changed. They have a new chef who seems to be equally as good as the former chef who was excellent. Thank goodness the decor was left the same even though they changed the adjoining room, the lobby of the hotel.Special Features:
- Old Time DiningLeftMyHeartDined on 10/17/2014The Big 4 has always been and old time, clubby dining establishment with a faithful clientele, friendly wait staff and good food. Not really gourmet, but reliably tasty, good selection of wine, and nice ambiance.Special Features:
- Class San FranciscojlsatreDined on 10/16/2014My sister recommended this restaurant for my 30th birthday celebration and it did not disappoint! We had a delicious meal with great wine and our server was attentive but not too attentive. The atmosphere feels very special--classic San Francisco!Special Features:
- mindmavenVIPDined on 10/12/2014quiet, elegant setting. Food is quite good. Service somewhat slow. an ideal place for a quiet dinner. Parking garage is only $15 with restaurant validation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- darlingDined on 10/11/2014We just moved to the Francesca and are thrilled to have this wonderful, first class restaurant in walking distance. Great piano player! Great food! Excellent service! The bar is elegant and a neighborhood meeting place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SSFJAZZZDined on 10/10/2014Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!Special Features:
- justjoeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/9/2014For dessert, the figs accompanied by port was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old SF still existssfmomVIPDined on 9/30/2014Walking into this place I realize the old SF is still alive and well. Swanky piano bar with old school tables and chairs. All old lived in leather and just so comfy! You feel very detached for the real world. It is just beautifully decorated with old photos of the city. Wonderful service! very relaxed! the food was very good! did not feel like a tourist trap or anything like that. a little pricey but really you get what you pay for. we were very well taken care of and will go again!Special Features:
- Enjoyed every minuteAgt4artDined on 9/28/2014Very attentive service, great menu choices and our steaks were perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful room. Needs more staffVmaloneDined on 9/27/2014We went for a birthday celebration to this wonderful place. First time back since remodel. It looks fabulous. The food is well priced and very good. Our waiter and all the people we interacted with were very nice, but, there aren't enough of them and the service both in the bar and dining room is Painfully Slow!Special Features:
- My lamb shank was really badSorrytosayDined on 9/27/2014My wife had two nice appetizers both were pleasant, I had the artichoke chips which were excellent and the lamb shank the was not edible. Sad too, it is a great location and a beautiful restaurant, good drinks and we loved it for years. Wait staff still first rate, but one can't live with food that expensive and that bad.Special Features:
- Classic San FranciscoSusanVIPDined on 9/27/2014I'm so glad they did not change the Big Four restaurant when they remodeled the Huntington Hotel. It is gorgeous and it is classic San Francisco at it's finest. The food is delicious and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Back in timeOldschoolDined on 9/24/2014Elegant, cozy, warm, nurturing, romantic, it is from an era of class, and manners. You feel very special yet welcome at the Big Four. To bad the Huntington Lobby did not do the same. I'm grateful they kept The Big Four as it should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantsfojoeDined on 9/22/2014I hadn't been to the Big 4 in a number years and expected the same dark, conservative, rather stodgy restaurant that I had become familiar with. It has changed with the times and could not be described as stodgy or conservative. It has retained its elegant feel but is very welcoming--customers were dressed casually as well as the classic suit and tie look and everyone appeared very comfortable. The food was fabulous. The menu has been simplified and fits nicely on one page with no shortage of appealing dishes. I started with a classic heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad which was perfect. My main course was the best seafood stew I have had anywhere in the world. It had a very flavorful tomato base broth and the seafood was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/22/2014food was great. Close to the show we were attending. Very "old / traditional" style décor. Our waiter had an attitude so that just set us off in the wrong direction. If we had a friendly waitress it would have been a great / fantastic experience.Special Features:
- Excellent SF Gem!RPHReviewerDined on 9/19/2014The Big 4 is our favorite neighboorhood bar and we are so thankful that it had a "refresh" without taking way from the old SF grand ambience. Although the bar was packed on Friday evening, the bartender did a fantastic job of taking care of everyone. The cocktail servers are always on top of their game and very pleasant to talk to. It was, however, nice to move into the dining room and experience an atmosphere where we could have conversation. Our server was great except that all the dishes seem to be placed in front of the wrong person. The food was good but not exceptional. My pork chop seemed to be on the dry side and the seabass was over cooked but overall it was a wonderful experience and we will most certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedjmabaDined on 9/19/2014The Big 4 has been frequented on many occasions. This was our first visit back since the remodel. Service was good considering our waiter was tending to several large party tables. There was a long wait for cocktails. When it finally arrived, two of the six were very watered down. The lobster bisque had a canned soup type of flavor and wasn't rich tasting at all. A majority of our party ordered the special of the day, which was beef short ribs. Sad to say that all four of our orders were very dry without much flavor. The other two in our party were satisfied, but not overwhelmed with their rib eye steaks. It will be a long while before I consider the "new" Big 4 again!
- Exceptional experience!SunolaVIPDined on 9/16/2014We had the perfect evening in this classic San Francisco fine dining establishment. The rich wood tones, luxurious booths, and soft piano in the background immediately welcomed us. Service in both the bar and dining room was impeccable. Menu is not large, but there are items available for most tastes. Only wish we lived closer, so we could visit Big 4 more frequently!Special Features:
- It was terrific!TerriDined on 9/13/2014I was on a Girls Get Away Birthday Trip and we ended our 5 day trip at Big 4! It was perfect! Everything was TO DIE FOR. The restaurant is beautiful, the service was the best, and the food was the best in town. I cannot say enough about the Big 4. I will definitely return and will also highly recommend this place to others. It is a perfect way to end your trip to San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlaceSwissmiss18Dined on 9/11/2014Great decor, sophisticated. We were given a great private corner booth. The server was friendly and appeared attentive. There were a few mis-steps which was disappointing. We advised the server of some food allergies, it all seemed clear, yet one of our appetizers came along with the dreaded allergen. We were also promised an extra deviled egg as there were only 3 to an order & we were sharing. In the end, we only got 3. Lastly, both our entrees were over cooked. I emphasized concern about over cooked fish underscoring my desire to have it prepared moist. My boyfriends pork chop was equally dry and over cooked, but at that point we were so hungry we just ate. Not sure if I would go back. Lots other good fine dining choices in the area.Special Features:
- oldie by goodieparisVIPDined on 9/10/2014I am glad they kept the original décor of the Big 4, and the waiter and bartender were very niceSpecial Features:
- Terrific for a special celebration!PatriciaVIPDined on 9/7/2014We celebrated our 40th anniversary in this very special restaurant! We've been there many times over the years and this visit was just perfect. They have spruced up the space and the food was wonderful. They have us a glass of Prosecco to help us celebrate.Special Features:
- Catering to regularsFoodyoneVIPDined on 8/26/2014This was our first time back since the reopening. The food was excellent. Service was another matter. We checked in with the hostess on time for a 6:30 reservation and we were greeted with "I will have to check on your table" (The place was half empty). Three ladies arrived to check in behind us and they were seated immediately. We were left standing there for too long. Finally the hostess returned and said "what is your name again?".....oh....follow me. Finally we were seated. Waiter service was perfunctory and slow, for us and the three other tables near us...But directly across was a "regular" who was catered to constantly by our waiter and a hostess. Service is critical for a fine restaurant, but selectively applied here.
- Big 4 greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014Everything excellent, except that they ran out of profiteroles !!! That was a disappointment since it was a birthday celebration for the 4 of us and the other offered options just didn't do it for us ;.( So, Make more profiteroles !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeHowRCDined on 8/16/2014Went for birthday celebration. Bartenders are terrific. Although there is a new chef and no lamb burger, the remains solid and service is top notch. We had breakfast the following and both food and service was terrific. Their Bloody Mary was the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stilly lovelyekc415Dined on 8/13/2014A colleague and I ducked in for lunch to see how the remodel went. We were so happy to see that all the heart and charm of the Big 4 remains. And our food was delicious, and service impeccable--that has not changed either. Looking forward to coming back to the bar in the evening.Special Features:
- Great Improvementopentabler7VIPDined on 8/9/2014Simply elevated cuisine since they re-opened. Was great before yet now is at a much more serious level. The market salad with heirloom tomatoes with mozzarella and basil dressing was as good as at very famous places. The seafood stew was superb also with impeccable saffron broth. Dessert was excellent and with dinner had an excellent bottle of Bordeaux for only 60 dollars! Very warm San Francisco gem has just got even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dukeofdiningDined on 8/8/2014First time back with new owners and was pleasantly pleased with dinner. Liver pate was excellent as were short ribs (Fri special) and roast chicken. Service was professional and attentive and meun selections were vared enough so everyone could find something that interested them. We've been going to Big 4 for 30 plus years--nice to know it is still a special place. Good piano music in bar.Special Features:
- Old San Francisco,nostalgicmgr84Dined on 8/2/2014It reminded me of San Francisco in the late 1950s. It was a delight!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- owhyVIPDined on 8/1/2014A San Francisco classic. A most enjoyable dinner in a formal but not stuffy setting.Special Features:
- Character filled placeFoodie13Dined on 7/30/2014This place was fantastic! The ambiance was like an expensive 1930's mansion. It was elegant and charming. The food was Excellent as well. Everything we had was great, but my roasted chicken was spectacular! The profiteroles were out of this world! A must see place in San Fransisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/27/2014Same great clubby look with improved menu and wonderful attention to detail staff. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- San Francisco ClassicjoseVIPDined on 7/22/2014We had a great night at the Big 4 and took my husband's father for his last night visiting. The ambiance is very old school, in a charming way. We had the oysters and ribeye as well as the fontina-stuffed pork chop, all of which was memorable. The bar had live piano when we finished dinner and was packed with people - a great spot to have dinner and drinks after. I would definitely go back, and have heard that the burger is not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ANRWDined on 7/21/2014Truly a disappointment. A consulting group though it was cleverly updating the reataurant. It fired Dean, the Maitre d' for 8 years, and who knew people by name It removed from the menu esablished successes like lobster bisque it purged the while wine list of exceptional items like German Mittel Mosels in favor of dry chardonnary blige water available anywhere in California. It hired staff with no appreciation for history or culture of the hotel. It didn't acknowledge much less address special requests submitted under the open table reservation. Overall, terrible corporate communication practices. The Singapore owners should fire the entire consulting group and ask itself how it acquired such bad advice.
- No change is a good thingnovicefoodieVIPDined on 7/16/2014We were anxious about returning to one of our favorite spots after it had been closed for renovation. Nothing, except the carpet, the menu and the chef, had changed and it was as comfortable and welcoming as it had always been. Right down to the same waiters we'd grown accustomed to seeing!Special Features:
- Really?madeinDTWVIPDined on 7/14/2014Went there Sunday afternoon, sat at the bar, and had one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. So two nights later I figured we would go back with a larger group for dinner. The ambience of this place is great. Dark paneled wood walls, piano player, green leather seats. Sort of like a speakeasy. Our server Jackie was amazing and funny. That's where all the positive ends. First thing, you can't order the burger anywhere but the bar. When I asked why, Jackie suggested I fill out a comment card, as if talking to someone or pleasing a customer was a foreign concept. The dinner menu is small and expensive. They don't have many common brands of liquor. I had half a plate of fat and gristle from my bland ribeye. Simply unimpressive.
- One of our go-to spotsslynnsDined on 7/14/2014We were very pleased with the renovations. A bit disappointed that the boar was taken off the menu, but the steak tartare was the best in San Francisco!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014The Big 4 has a very old school, dark, clubby (like a Gentleman's Club or steak house) type of atmosphere, and everyone was very friendly. There was a piano player in the lounge, and it was loud so we chose to be seated at a corner table in the back. Very nice. The service was very good, prompt but not intrusive. The menu is pretty standard.....steaks, pork chops, chicken, with one vegetarian pasta and a seafood stew. My wife chose the seafood stew, which was a generous portion and lots of different seafood, all cooked correctly but it could have used some more seasoning or a little spice. I had the pork chop, which was huge and pretty tender, and was still tasty. "Good but not a wow" is an accurate summary of our opinionSpecial Features:
- Tiger2VIPDined on 7/11/2014Food was great and our server was appropriately attentiveSpecial Features:
- Lunch at Big 4DaveinSFDined on 7/11/2014Excellent service. Nice heirloom tomatoe and mozzarella salad, although tomatoes were too cold. Generous and well cooked serving of sautéed sand dabs. Elegant surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.