Big 4 Restaurant
1075 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Big 4 Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.big4restaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 771-1140
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday through Saturday, 6:30a.m. - 10:00a.m.
Breakfast: Sunday, 6:30a.m. - 10:00a.m.
Brunch: Sunday, 10:30a.m. - 2:30p.m.
Lunch: Monday through Saturday, 11:30a.m. - 2:00p.m.
Dinner: Monday through Sunday, 5:30p.m. - 10:00p.m.
Bar: Monday through Sunday, 11:30a.m. - 12:a.m.; Thursday, Friday and Saturday, open until 1:00a.m.
Bar Bites Menu: Monday through Sunday, 11:30a.m. - 10:30p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Scott
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the Catering Manager at email@example.com for details.
- Entertainment: Live piano, seven nights a week in the lounge. No vocals.
- Special Events: Please contact the Catering Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
A word from Big 4 Restaurant
Located off the lobby of The Scarlet Huntington hotel, the Big 4 Restaurant is a true culinary experience set in a club-like ambiance-with contemporary American cuisine, a classic bar, live piano music nightly and rich in San Francisco history. Set in an elegant early California decor, rich green leather banquettes and sparkling beveled glass surround an incomparable collection of Gold Rush and Western Railroad memorabilia. Guests enjoy the heady ambiance while savoring perennial favorites from renowned Chef Kevin Scott, who brings a wealth of creativity to the menu with his focus on locally-sourced and seasonal ingredients. The Big 4 Restaurant is a true local favorite--a San Francisco culinary gem.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Big 4 Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (84)romantic (69)neighborhood gem (57)vibrant bar scene (37)fit for foodies (37)notable wine list (34)good for groups (21)late-night find (15)great for lunch (12)hot spot (9)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great decor and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2014Historical, great decor and the food meets expectations. Lovely server and great bartender!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, atmosphere - great! Service lacking.....OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/16/2014The food and atmosphere are wonderful -as they were before Scarlett took over the hotel - thanks for not changing! However, the service is both slow and unattentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the Big 4CarloVIPDined on 11/15/2014Beautiful interior. Excellent service. Nice table settings. Only negative is quite limited menu with little by way of creativity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luxurious Private ClubmssanfranciscoDined on 11/14/2014KUDOS --- Big 4 has a luxurious, leather and crystal "private club" decor - the classic old, rich, San Francisco look. Diners feel pampered and special. Our dinner for 4 had all the first class food ingredients you would expect from a good restaurant. Wine and drinks are done very well and competitively ( not overly) priced. Glamorous, fun, high end. CONCERNS - On Friday night the bar in front was packed with nice live piano music and lots of loud, happy people. ( to be expected in the bar). In the back eating area our dinner began with good conversation, but as the room filled up, and the meal wore on, the noise level in that small area was so loud we had trouble hearing the person across the table. We would have lingered for an after dinner drink or two but the ambience was not attractive at that point. Perhaps removing a few tables would quiet the noise level in that small area ? I'd rather pay a little more, and be able to hear the person next to me .I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting to pricey for quality of foodDineroutVIPDined on 11/13/2014While the service and atmosphere are quite good, the food quality does not warrant the prices. The dishes are just too expensive for the quality. And there should be a few more accessible wines on the list.Special Features:
- A Timeless Sophisticated ClassicEileenRDined on 11/12/2014We arrived before our reservation so that we could enjoy sitting in the bar and listening to the pianist and we are glad that we did--the waitress was quite good and the music was a lovely start to our evening. In fact, next time, my husband wants to eat at a table in the bar, which many were doing, so he can listen to the piano. Dinner was excellent--the best part was that my husband read that chicken pot pie was being served in the bar and asked for it in the restaurant, even though it was not on that menu, and they graciously complied. And, he is very glad they did because he thought it was delicious. I had the pork chop and I thoroughly enjoyed it. For starters we had (1) beets and (2) the Bibb salad and we were quite pleased with them as well. In addition to the food, which was wonderful, the servers in the dining room were, in great part, the reason I say this is a timeless, sophisticated classic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old SchoolreservationqueenDined on 11/12/2014Even after their remodel, nothing changed! And that was to the good. Great old school, old San Francisco charm. Lively bar with live piano. A little pricey but a special place on Nob hill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and great location!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014This restaurant was everything we hoped it would be, quiet and classy. The aged sirloin steak was cooked to perfection as well as everything else. Both the mushroom and artichoke appetizers were unique and extremely delicious. Will be going here again in the future and would highly recommend to couples seeking I nice place for dinner and drinks.Special Features:
- Old School EleganceWineVetVIPDined on 11/4/2014Classic and warm surroundings. The menu had a variety of choices without being overwhelming. Wine list is compact but well thought out. Food was excellent and timed well by the waiter and kitchen. This is classic SF dining with modern touches from the Chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Height Of EleganceJeffmDined on 11/2/2014Beautiful, beautiful space! Wonderful cocktails, amazing food. Good service. What a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Classic ElegancediscoverSFDined on 11/2/2014Wonderful experience from beginning to end. Easy and affordable valet parking right next door. We arrived slightly early and were given the option to be seated at our table or to wait in the bar area. We chose the bar area due to the interesting but not obtrusive live piano music. This also gave us a chance to take in the warm, classic interior with photos and art from the era when the railroads were building our country. The food was excellent with ample portions and interesting presentations. Service was well timed and again not obtrusive. We were definitely made to feel like we were one of the Big 4.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Big 4-glad to know youCountrycometotownDined on 11/1/2014I am so glad that I got to experience the Big 4. I went in early November, on a Saturday, for lunch. I had the best Bloody Mary at the bar before being seated for a delicious lunch. This was probably my favorite dining experience in San Fransisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Friendly Nook on Nob HillBARSTLVIPDined on 10/31/2014The Big Four makes Nob Hill welcoming. But that wouldn't matter if the food weren't great. The menu is neither trendy not stodgy, but everything my party of eight ordered from it won raves—especially the lamb, beef, and, especially, fish dishes. The service is efficient, friendly but not intrusive, and adapts to the diners' timetables. Finally, unlike so many San Franciso restaurants, The Big Four is quiet enough for dinner to be accompanied by real conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Dining on Nob HillChicladyDined on 10/30/2014I have been to the restaurant several times with friends and have always had great professional service from the staff. The food is what you would expect from an elegant restaurant on the hill. I was afraid that when they remodeled the place last year that the décor would be changed but was very happy to see it still has its old charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SophisticationDined on 10/28/2014Service was exceptional. Menu was terrific. Ambience exceptional.Special Features:
- KarlDined on 10/26/2014Wonderful expression of old SFO. Highly recommend it for special occasion.Special Features:
- Big FourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014I have been going to this restaurant for years. It was recently sold and we were all worried that it would be changed. They have a new chef who seems to be equally as good as the former chef who was excellent. Thank goodness the decor was left the same even though they changed the adjoining room, the lobby of the hotel.Special Features:
- Old Time DiningLeftMyHeartDined on 10/17/2014The Big 4 has always been and old time, clubby dining establishment with a faithful clientele, friendly wait staff and good food. Not really gourmet, but reliably tasty, good selection of wine, and nice ambiance.Special Features:
- Class San FranciscojlsatreDined on 10/16/2014My sister recommended this restaurant for my 30th birthday celebration and it did not disappoint! We had a delicious meal with great wine and our server was attentive but not too attentive. The atmosphere feels very special--classic San Francisco!Special Features:
- mindmavenVIPDined on 10/12/2014quiet, elegant setting. Food is quite good. Service somewhat slow. an ideal place for a quiet dinner. Parking garage is only $15 with restaurant validation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- darlingDined on 10/11/2014We just moved to the Francesca and are thrilled to have this wonderful, first class restaurant in walking distance. Great piano player! Great food! Excellent service! The bar is elegant and a neighborhood meeting place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SSFJAZZZDined on 10/10/2014Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!Special Features:
- justjoeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/9/2014For dessert, the figs accompanied by port was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old SF still existssfmomVIPDined on 9/30/2014Walking into this place I realize the old SF is still alive and well. Swanky piano bar with old school tables and chairs. All old lived in leather and just so comfy! You feel very detached for the real world. It is just beautifully decorated with old photos of the city. Wonderful service! very relaxed! the food was very good! did not feel like a tourist trap or anything like that. a little pricey but really you get what you pay for. we were very well taken care of and will go again!Special Features:
- Enjoyed every minuteAgt4artDined on 9/28/2014Very attentive service, great menu choices and our steaks were perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful room. Needs more staffVmaloneDined on 9/27/2014We went for a birthday celebration to this wonderful place. First time back since remodel. It looks fabulous. The food is well priced and very good. Our waiter and all the people we interacted with were very nice, but, there aren't enough of them and the service both in the bar and dining room is Painfully Slow!Special Features:
- My lamb shank was really badSorrytosayDined on 9/27/2014My wife had two nice appetizers both were pleasant, I had the artichoke chips which were excellent and the lamb shank the was not edible. Sad too, it is a great location and a beautiful restaurant, good drinks and we loved it for years. Wait staff still first rate, but one can't live with food that expensive and that bad.Special Features:
- Classic San FranciscoSusanVIPDined on 9/27/2014I'm so glad they did not change the Big Four restaurant when they remodeled the Huntington Hotel. It is gorgeous and it is classic San Francisco at it's finest. The food is delicious and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Back in timeOldschoolDined on 9/24/2014Elegant, cozy, warm, nurturing, romantic, it is from an era of class, and manners. You feel very special yet welcome at the Big Four. To bad the Huntington Lobby did not do the same. I'm grateful they kept The Big Four as it should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantsfojoeDined on 9/22/2014I hadn't been to the Big 4 in a number years and expected the same dark, conservative, rather stodgy restaurant that I had become familiar with. It has changed with the times and could not be described as stodgy or conservative. It has retained its elegant feel but is very welcoming--customers were dressed casually as well as the classic suit and tie look and everyone appeared very comfortable. The food was fabulous. The menu has been simplified and fits nicely on one page with no shortage of appealing dishes. I started with a classic heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad which was perfect. My main course was the best seafood stew I have had anywhere in the world. It had a very flavorful tomato base broth and the seafood was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/22/2014food was great. Close to the show we were attending. Very "old / traditional" style décor. Our waiter had an attitude so that just set us off in the wrong direction. If we had a friendly waitress it would have been a great / fantastic experience.Special Features:
- Excellent SF Gem!RPHReviewerDined on 9/19/2014The Big 4 is our favorite neighboorhood bar and we are so thankful that it had a "refresh" without taking way from the old SF grand ambience. Although the bar was packed on Friday evening, the bartender did a fantastic job of taking care of everyone. The cocktail servers are always on top of their game and very pleasant to talk to. It was, however, nice to move into the dining room and experience an atmosphere where we could have conversation. Our server was great except that all the dishes seem to be placed in front of the wrong person. The food was good but not exceptional. My pork chop seemed to be on the dry side and the seabass was over cooked but overall it was a wonderful experience and we will most certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedjmabaDined on 9/19/2014The Big 4 has been frequented on many occasions. This was our first visit back since the remodel. Service was good considering our waiter was tending to several large party tables. There was a long wait for cocktails. When it finally arrived, two of the six were very watered down. The lobster bisque had a canned soup type of flavor and wasn't rich tasting at all. A majority of our party ordered the special of the day, which was beef short ribs. Sad to say that all four of our orders were very dry without much flavor. The other two in our party were satisfied, but not overwhelmed with their rib eye steaks. It will be a long while before I consider the "new" Big 4 again!
- Exceptional experience!SunolaVIPDined on 9/16/2014We had the perfect evening in this classic San Francisco fine dining establishment. The rich wood tones, luxurious booths, and soft piano in the background immediately welcomed us. Service in both the bar and dining room was impeccable. Menu is not large, but there are items available for most tastes. Only wish we lived closer, so we could visit Big 4 more frequently!Special Features:
- It was terrific!TerriDined on 9/13/2014I was on a Girls Get Away Birthday Trip and we ended our 5 day trip at Big 4! It was perfect! Everything was TO DIE FOR. The restaurant is beautiful, the service was the best, and the food was the best in town. I cannot say enough about the Big 4. I will definitely return and will also highly recommend this place to others. It is a perfect way to end your trip to San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlaceSwissmiss18Dined on 9/11/2014Great decor, sophisticated. We were given a great private corner booth. The server was friendly and appeared attentive. There were a few mis-steps which was disappointing. We advised the server of some food allergies, it all seemed clear, yet one of our appetizers came along with the dreaded allergen. We were also promised an extra deviled egg as there were only 3 to an order & we were sharing. In the end, we only got 3. Lastly, both our entrees were over cooked. I emphasized concern about over cooked fish underscoring my desire to have it prepared moist. My boyfriends pork chop was equally dry and over cooked, but at that point we were so hungry we just ate. Not sure if I would go back. Lots other good fine dining choices in the area.Special Features:
- oldie by goodieparisVIPDined on 9/10/2014I am glad they kept the original décor of the Big 4, and the waiter and bartender were very niceSpecial Features:
- Terrific for a special celebration!PatriciaVIPDined on 9/7/2014We celebrated our 40th anniversary in this very special restaurant! We've been there many times over the years and this visit was just perfect. They have spruced up the space and the food was wonderful. They have us a glass of Prosecco to help us celebrate.Special Features:
- Catering to regularsFoodyoneVIPDined on 8/26/2014This was our first time back since the reopening. The food was excellent. Service was another matter. We checked in with the hostess on time for a 6:30 reservation and we were greeted with "I will have to check on your table" (The place was half empty). Three ladies arrived to check in behind us and they were seated immediately. We were left standing there for too long. Finally the hostess returned and said "what is your name again?".....oh....follow me. Finally we were seated. Waiter service was perfunctory and slow, for us and the three other tables near us...But directly across was a "regular" who was catered to constantly by our waiter and a hostess. Service is critical for a fine restaurant, but selectively applied here.
- Big 4 greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014Everything excellent, except that they ran out of profiteroles !!! That was a disappointment since it was a birthday celebration for the 4 of us and the other offered options just didn't do it for us ;.( So, Make more profiteroles !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.