Bier Baron Restaurant & Tavern
1523 22nd Street NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
Bar / Lounge / Bottle ServicePrice: $30 and under
Bier Baron Restaurant & Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bierbarondc.com/
- Phone: 240-848-8956x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 4:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
Friday 4:00 - 2:00 a.m.
Saturday 3:00 p.m. - 2:00 a.m.
Sunday 3:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Executive Chef: Carlos Romas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment most nights... Staff Lead Tastings, Wednesday Trivia and Comedy, Thursday Comedy by Lygo DC, Friday Bands or Burlesque, Saturday Burlesque or Bands.
A word from Bier Baron Restaurant & Tavern
We have a variety of simple and tasty selections of bar/pub food. We aim to please and when you come to the Bier Baron our servers and bartenders are experts that can pair your food with the one of over 500 beers we have.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bier Baron Restaurant & Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
- Basement beer heavenalwaysistomorrowDined on 3/1/2014With this many beers on tap and bottled up for your pleasure it's hard to go wrong. The choices were good, descriptions a bit ambiguous at times, and many offerings out of stock. But, once you get past that you're in for a beer filled night. Just don't order anything other than a beer- our server didn't even know what Stoli was and swore that you couldn't order a double, but then a different server assured us we could. Also- the chicken Parm doughnut was fun and interesting, but the doughnut was at least a few days old. It made a thumping noise when I tapped it against the plate. Stick to the beer and you'll be safe.Special Features:
- like a Midwestern barcheeseDined on 2/14/2014Great bar with a HUGE beer selection that's not too expensive. Great food, not too loud, has a pool table. It's just a lot of funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's not just a bar!JmanDined on 1/25/2014When you walk in you'll think your at the wrong place, but there are tables back past the bar! Great beer selection, great food! Will be back for sure, and so close to lisner autatorium great for pre show dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was really outstanding.junglbearDined on 1/18/2014The service was really outstanding. The servers and bartenders were knowledgeable about the beers and gave good recommendations. Also we had a party of 8 and then eventually 10, so I was worried the check would be tough to sort out, but the servers and a bartender helped out and it was painless as possible. Food was fried in heaven. Beer was so yummy too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Big PartiesBigPartyFeastDined on 12/14/2013We recently had our going away from DC/my fianceé's 30th birthday party at Bier Baron, and were completely impressed. We were given a table in the backroom near a bunch of pool tables, perfect for an event of our size. Our waiter was awesome and did an excellent job keeping track of everyone and their tabs (no small feat as we had folks coming and going all evening). I also really appreciated that they told us upfront how they operate with large party checks (18% grat, single bill, but able to split off into as many credit cards as possible/people can pay as they go). They really made this party easy, the food was great, the beer kept coming. Now if only we weren't leaving DC...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing amazing but good nonethelesAshCraftVIPDined on 12/5/2013I came here for a comedy show but decided to eat as well. The chicken Parmesan on a glaze donut was delicious! Seems like a weird combination. But I'm happy the server suggested itI would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it for yourselfOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/29/2013Great beer menu, interesting food options. I thought it was just, "ok" but another person may feel differently. Worth a try.Special Features:
- What was the point of a reservationGanderDined on 10/25/2013I love bier baron and go there with friends all the time. When I know we are going to be a big group I make reservations. I made reservations for 12 and then they were surprised we were there and gave us to sets of tables next to each other. They then proceeded to take some of the tables and chairs from us. I told them we had 12 and they just stared at me. We ended up 12 squished around one table shoulder to shoulder and one friend had to wait 20 minutes for a chair. Don't get me wrong i love bier baron but I'm nt gonna go if this is what it's like. The food is good, our waitress was really sweet and the beer selection is amazing, but what was the poit I a reservation? If you didn't have room for such a large group just be honest.Special Features:
- Not the best in DCDCVisitorDined on 10/15/2013Had to find someone to seat us. Waitress seemed annoyed that we were there. She kept reminding us that the kitchen closed in 30 minutes. Food was averageSpecial Features:
- TERRIBLE!AshtonDined on 10/12/2013I booked a reservation for my anniversary. I was traveling from Fredericksburg, VA specifically to eat here. When I arrived, there was not a person at the hostess section. I waited there for someone to come for about 10 minutes. When no one showed up, I decided to go for a walk and then come back. When I came back about 20 minutes later, there was still no one there. Once again, I waited about 10 minutes, but I left for good after that. I am very disappointed, and I will not give this place a second chance.
- For beer loversweekendhostessDined on 9/13/2013if you are a beer connoisseur, then this place is for you! They have a gigantic selection of bottled beers and beer on tap. Even if you are not a beer fan, it is worth going for the food. The onion rings and crab cake sliders are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing....JudyVIPDined on 7/15/2013As I feared when my kids saw the name of this restaurant online, it was just a cute name for a very mediocre restaurant. I made a reservation for a Thursday night, but I needn't have worried - the place was EMPTY except for a few regulars at the bar. The decor was old and cheesy at best. The food was passable, but everything seemed brown and overlooked. My beef filet that I ordered medium was nothing short of well done. My husband's pork tenderloin medallions were like hockey pucks. In addition, since we were seated in the empty upstairs, it seemed like our server forgot we were there. We waited forever for our food, then forever for our check. Save your money folks - this place is anything but precious!
- not just a barLrd1VIPDined on 7/5/2013A bit intimidated when walked in the Bier Baron with 3 kids, as bar scene was busy. We were immediately escorted to a much quieter side room, and proceeded to have quite a good meal. The calamari and wings were fantastic, and the burgers very good. I had a salad with grilled chicken, which was surprisingly moist. Service was excellent-quick and attentive. The beer list is phenomenal, but I also had a glass of a pretty decent white wine. Not fancy, but I'd recommend for anyone looking for good pub food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for 20-somethingersrudydaleVIPDined on 6/27/2013This isn't an establishment for folks who actually want to talk with each other, particularlly when bidding farewell to a friend, since you simply cannot hear what the folks at your table are saying since everyone at every other table around you is shouting at the top of their lungs. Perhaps its the beer, the only real draw here, since the food is really rather sub-par.
- English PubCigarsdglinnDined on 6/7/2013Reminiscent of English Pub, which I miss, enter into the basement, all brick walls, old furniture, I absolutely loved it. Beer list to die for, what a great selection Hard to make your mind up and decide. Service was excellent, I have never had 4 different waiters/waitresses attend one table it was great. Food was also very good we had a great time and looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2013We have been to the Bier Baron a couple of times before on visits to DC and had the happy hour special. The burgers were overcooked but not dry and the fries were warm not hot. The wait staff was very efficient and friendly. The beer selection is excellent. Not sure that we will return any time soon.Special Features:
- Something different and chillOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2013We went to Bier Baron to celebrate I'd never been there but had heard about it and met one of the owners. It was really chill, something different than most DC places, great beer seceltion and the our waiter was really nice and helpful. My group loved that it wasn't to tough on the wallets and they had a range of beers to try. Hope to go back more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of beer, service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/17/2013We ate dinner here. I remember the restaurant from when it had a different name. The dining area was muggy, which is neither here nor there. The major problem was service. After the initial order, the server was not responsive, we placed an order for a second beer. It never came and the waiter never came by to check how we were doing, so we asked for the bill, paid, and left.
- Solid pub with a killer beer listOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013We dined early on a Friday night, so we can't speak to the atmosphere during peak times. The food was solid pub fare, well prepared and high quality, the bartender was friendly and attentive, and the beer list was extremely impressive.Special Features:
- dive that dovejodiwdffDined on 4/13/2013Unfortunately This Favored Dive Bar May Just Have Outlived Its Memory For Us. Big Fans Of Its Predecessor The Brickskellar. The Bier Baron Has Knowledgeable Staff And A Decent Beer Selection But It Needs An Overhaul On The Interior.
- Went here on a Saturday afternoonDerrickFMooreVIPDined on 4/6/2013Went here on a Saturday afternoon for lunch with my girlfriend. We each had two beers, plus shared the bar basket and the hummus sandwich. Not many people in the bar, but to be honest we were quite fine with that. The bartender was extremely helpful in giving suggestions on the menu. Seriously, try the Old Scratch Amber Lager is you haven't already - pretty solid.Special Features:
- FYI they don't actually takeEBLizVIPDined on 3/30/2013FYI they don't actually take reservations after 8pm but they were kind enough to honor the one we'd made on Open Table.Special Features:
- They wrre not really preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/27/2013They wrre not really prepared for the reservation. They were very friendly but we had to wait about fifteen minutes for a table.
- I decided to try this placeEricaVIPDined on 3/16/2013I decided to try this place with my husband because he's a beer enthusiast, and he was thrilled with the selection. The food is tasty and goes well with beer. I liked the fireplace. It is a bar atmosphere and some of the people near us were loud, but that is to be expected. Our server was very attentive. I'd go back when we're in the area.
- BeerKKeatsDined on 3/16/2013Good burgers! Tuesday Special Beer and Burger for $10. Window seats are cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great pub to spend a FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013A great pub to spend a Friday evening with a group of friends. Fantastic selection of beers, the music is not too loud (yet loud enough), and the burgers are tasty (and affordable when you go for the $10 beer-on-tap + burger special before 7pm). Good times!Special Features:
- Very limited menu. Not veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Very limited menu. Not very tasty. Misleading from open table blurb.
- With over 500 beers, it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013With over 500 beers, it was a little overwhelming to make a selection. The drink menu is broken down by types of beer which makes it helpful. I expected the server to be more knowledgeable and make recommendations (especially since the menu says they will). This place is only 2 years old and she has only been there for 6 months, so I'll take that as a learning curve. The wings and onion rings were good. The beer is absolutely well priced for the area and variety. I plan on coming back.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful area setOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/5/2013We had a wonderful area set aside for our group and the atmosphere was just what we needed. Thank you!Special Features:
- Wonderful for Beer People!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013The Bier Baron Restaurant & Tavern was a great place to spend my friend's birthday. He's a big beer guy and he was in heaven there. The waiter was able to "talk beer" with him and the chicken pot pie was amazing! Really, get the chicken pot pie when you go. I would recommend Bier Baron Restaurant & Tavern to everyone and anyone.Special Features:
- Great beer selection, butOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013Great beer selection, but very limited food menu (typcial pub fare) for having a dedicated dining area.
- Very good beers and a hugeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012Very good beers and a huge selection. We were there for 1/2 off draft night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The food was fine - just your typical bar food. Our waiter even gave our group a few free bottles of some Russian craft beer! Overall a great time and good place for a group to go watch a game.Special Features:
- It is a very good bar withSnookieDined on 12/14/2012It is a very good bar with good beer and hard cider choices. One goes for the music not for the food.Special Features:
- Great new menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012Really enjoy the new beer menu. Everything was in stock and servers very knowledgeable.Special Features:
- 1. Entertainment - UndoingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/28/20121. Entertainment - Undoing of Prudencia Hart is the best play of the year anywhere! 2. Very good beer but they were out of the Green Flash West Coast IPA 3. Great pub food by all our party: hamburger, lambburger, shepherds pie, fish&chips, pot pie.
- Many beer selections; andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/25/2012Many beer selections; and reading the beer menu was great reading. Can't wait to take our friends who love beer there. The wait staff was very attentive and friendly. The pot pie and lamb burger were yummy. We thought we'd give it a try before the theatre production upstairs. We're glad we did.Special Features:
- The food is standard pub food.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/23/2012The food is standard pub food. The beer however, oh my, the beer. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly. Don't go there expecting an amazing meal, you'll be satisfied with what you eat, it's just not gourmet. However, go there expecting amazing things to drink! And ask your server for recommendations. Ours steared us right all along.Special Features:
- ho-hum pub food, vegetarians bewareavocadoyumDined on 11/16/2012"Pub food," not very good quality. The Shepherd's Pie was mostly mashed potatoes. The menu is not vegetarian-friendly --- there were only 2 vegetarian items, and they did not even have the more appealing one (mac and cheese) so my son's girlfriend was forced to order a tofu burger. It was tasteless and dry. Service was slow and inattentive.
- Don't bother. They won't feed you!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/2/2012If I could give this "restaurant" 0 stars, I would. That is because, despite a confirmed reservation on Open Table, we were turned away at the door. The annoyed hostess and her equally rude manager refused to seat us, giving the excuse that Open Table is not supposed to allow customers to make reservations past a certain time. We were attending a play in Georgetown that night and spontaneously decided to make reservations for after the show. At 7pm, I used my mobile app to make a 9pm reservation. I've done this before for other restaurants, and never had a problem. But when we arrived, we were told that there was no way we could be seated for dinner. Our only option was to order bar food at the noisy bar. We will never go there again. NEVER
- One of the best beer selectionsShanklyVIPDined on 10/1/2012One of the best beer selections in DC. I travel to DC on business very frequently and the staff knows that I pay this tavern a visit, near embasy row, every time am in town. You cant beat the draft beer and burger (which is excellent by the way) for $10 before 7pm. A real find for those who just want a relaxing meal and an incredible beer selection.Special Features: