227 Water Street
Excelsior, MN 55331Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.biella-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 9524748881
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm – 9:00pm (Summer only)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Chad Grant
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Biella offers 2 private rooms, one accommodating from 8 to 22 guests, the other from 10 to 60 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Mark Nazagian 9524744745
A word from Biella
Biella is an upscale casual Italian inspired restaurant featuring pastas, desserts & breads made in-house. Biella also offers fresh fish daily, a full bar, outdoor dining & the old world charm of a building constructed in 1883. Written up in all major publications with fantastic reviews, Biella is a place to experience!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Biella reviews from OpenTable diners
- Unfortunately for all of usPluckDined on 6/22/2013Unfortunately for all of us in the western suburbs Biella's last day of operation was Monday June 24th. Like having a death in the familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ItalianACEEDined on 6/15/2013It was a great spot to go eat. good food good atmosphere. its just too bad they are closing in the next week. Dont get it because its right downtown Excelsior and they wont be there anymoreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biella ReviewjeffDined on 6/15/2013Biella is my favorite restaurant. The food is always excellent. The service is outstanding. The ambiance is pleasant. I am said to see that Biella is closing. Hopefully it can re-open in a new location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Biella. We alwaysTacketDined on 6/14/2013We love Biella. We always eat outside, because it is less noisy. Biella's food is terrific, but it is very, very noisy inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too bad it is closingKelvinCDined on 6/13/2013Wonderful place. My lobster shrimp ravioli was cook to perfection, and my wife's Asian style tuna was great too. Hope they will find a new location to re-open!Special Features:
- Biella to close June 24, 2013OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2013Per Lakeshore Weekly News. They've lost their lease. Too bad as this is a great spot in DT Excelsior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Already closedcitygirlDined on 6/11/2013Apparently Bella is closing at the end of June, which is a shame. However, they are out of so much of their menu-even lemonade!- might as well be closed already. Doesn't matter if they're open for a couple more weeks, not worth going back.
- We came for our aniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/10/2013We came for our aniversary dinner and the owner had a nice table by the window reserved for us nice touch. thxSpecial Features:
- sad biella is closingenjoyyourfoodVIPDined on 6/8/2013Biella is closing its doors June 24th. This neighborhood gem in the western suburbs is going to be missed. Always fantastic service and food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/4/2013Great food, great service, great atmosphere--sorry to see that they are closing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So sorry that Biella's isOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/4/2013So sorry that Biella's is closing at the end of June!!!!! This restaurant will be missed dearly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminds me of Italy...yummyDined on 6/1/2013What a great little find! Delicious, authentic Italian. Excellent decor and ambience. Fantastic service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GaryGaryDined on 5/24/2013Great as usual, I like that you have at least some of the time expanded your dessert menu which I have always felt is too limited. I look forward to see how the move down the street to a larger venue will be done. I love the current location and don't want to lose the ambiance and feeling of a certain intimacy presently available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite birthday celebration spotstephDined on 5/19/2013I love going to Biella! Every bite is absolutely wonderful, the wine list is excellent and the service is so warm. The price is very fair, especially for such creative and delicious combinations. The entire staff makes you feel very welcome and comfortable. The bartender made great classic cocktails too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are repeat customers atOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2013We are repeat customers at Biella. Always good and quite the value. Will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best local restaurant!RlergierVIPDined on 5/18/2013We love Biella! Its the best restaurant in Excelsior.Special Features:
- FabulosoWhatanightDined on 5/11/2013My sister recommended Biella. My friends and I loved it.Special Features:
- I always enjoy Biella's. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2013I always enjoy Biella's. The menu items are mostly unique to this restaurant which makes it a special dining experience. The service is always outstanding. In our opinion this is hands-down the best restaurant in the western suburbs. One has to go downtown to find a restaurant of equal quality.Special Features:
- Wasn't wowwedmarkjDined on 5/10/2013Our server was friendly, but but not helpful: "Everything on the menu is good." "We sell lots of that, so it must be good." He placed our appetizer order but forgot to place our dinner order and came back to see if we'd like to order. The food flavor was good or better, but nothing to make me "have" to come back. The fingerling potatoes were under cooked on both of our orders. Inconsistent quality. I expect more for the premium prices.
- This is a great popular spotJeffnJulieDined on 5/4/2013This is a great popular spot in prime downtown Excelsior. Food was great, wonderful service in a busy little cafe. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but it was so loudOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2013Great food but it was so loud that we could hardly hear each other.
- Great Italian food near the Lake!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/27/2013We have been to Biella a few times and consider it to be a very good restaurant. It's located in beautiful Excelsior on Water Street. We had a great dinner there for our anniversary recently and really enjoyed the mussels and the scallops (a perennial favorite) as well as the rib eye and the penne bolognese. It can be a little noisy because of the open space and the plaster walls but it's definitely a charming atmosphere and delicious food. Our waiter, Raymond, was also very professional and attentive.Special Features:
- Second time here; food wasDiner321VIPDined on 4/27/2013Second time here; food was as good as remembered and service attentive. Can get a bit loud inside for conversation and might try an outside table now that it is nice out.
- The food was perfect,veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2013The food was perfect,very tasty! Great service and pleasant location!Special Features:
- Wonderful food in a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013Wonderful food in a wonderful setting. Biella offers the perfect balance of buzz while still being able to talk to your partner. Great romantic dinner. The seafood was surprisingly good.Special Features:
- DissappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/26/2013The food was very good, but the experience was spoiled due to the waiter we had. We believe the service and interaction with the staff is almost as important as the food quality. This waiter was not very prepared or well versed on the menu. It took way to long for him to acknowledge our group of 4 adults. He was very rude, stopping to ask if we were ready to order drinks and leaving to fill water at other tables without excusing himself, before anyone could give their order. He returned to our table with the water and filled already full glasses, spilling on to the table and one of us. He didn't say he was sorry or even seem to notice. He was distracted while taking our order and was not helpful with questions. Will not go back.Special Features:
- We had been here once beforeJimWVIPDined on 4/20/2013We had been here once before - 2nd trip was just as good - we had an excellent waitress!!
- We live in Tonka Bay and itOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2013We live in Tonka Bay and it is our favorite neighborhood restaurant Highly Recommmended!Special Features:
- Biella has a limited menu,paris2niteDined on 4/17/2013Biella has a limited menu, but I appreciated the half-order options, so we could try a few things, and I could still order a glass of wine; all under $60. The salad was great, and my husband enjoyed the shortribs. I opted for 1/2 order of lobster ravioli, with 2 large shrimp, which was delicious. For those wishing to share a larger portion, by ordering an entree, but want to skip potatoes, the restaurant could offer a salad option. Biella's house red was as good as a valipolcella, and was only $5. Though our server was very pleasant, she was disappointed that we didn't order a bottle of wine or an entree each. At the end, she agreed 1/2 orders were a good option, when I said it was our 1st visit. A comp taste of sorbet wd be apprec.Special Features:
- A salad and a small plateDoverproDined on 4/13/2013A salad and a small plate is usually enough for dinner. Leave room for wine, coffee and dessert. The waitress was a little off her game but rest was great including food.
- Had another notable eveningRhino34VIPDined on 4/6/2013Had another notable evening at Biella. The service provided by Tom et. al. was top notch! Thank you.Special Features:
- The food was excellent, theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2013The food was excellent, the 4 of us each had a different entree so experienced the seared tuna, pasta, chicken, and the scallops -- Only issue - the scallops were exceptionally salty but cooked to perfection. Service was excellent. Only disappointment - the noise level. Made conversation extremely difficult.Special Features:
- Always great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/5/2013Since relocating to Minnesota from NY, we've become regulars at Biella and look forward each week to our dinner there. Mark and the great team at Biella always provide friendly and attentive service and a great menu of meals. If you ever get the chance to go to one of their special dinners (Wine, Arts, etc) jump at the chance - you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- A dinner treat.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/1/2013I can't say enough about how great the food and service was. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner and will be back again and again.Special Features:
- Memorable and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/30/2013Fabulous good and great service! A must do for Twin Coties dining . The short ribs and chicken were exceptional. Ssussge & peppers appetizer and Bruna salad were very memorable. The flavors were all delicious
- The salad was over salty andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/26/2013The salad was over salty and the food was a bit bland, not much for the price.
- Our service was wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/23/2013Our service was wonderful and the food was excellent. There were ten in our group and there was not one complaint...only "wonderfuls".Special Features:
- Great food. Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/16/2013It is a great little restaurant with one significant drawback. It is just horribly noisy. Too loud to carry on a conversation. Why do all the guests think they need to yell at each other? This is a problem with lots of restaurants. Biella is not alone. I sometimes wonder if the restaurants encourage this as a means of "turning tables" more quickly. We ate the wonderful food and got out because we could not talk.
- While we enjoyed our visitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2013While we enjoyed our visit there were very limited vegetarian options on the menu so we won't come back.Special Features:
- It's noisy - difficult to20ellu03Dined on 3/9/2013It's noisy - difficult to have an intimate conversation so better for a group rather than romantic dinner. Solid performer every time.Special Features: