BICE - San Diego
425 Island Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
BICE - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bicesandiego.com/
- Phone: 6192392423x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Vegetarian / Vegan, Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Cassineri
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Easter and Mother's Day Brunch 12pm to 8:30pm.
A word from BICE - San Diego
Ideally located in the heart of San Diego's downtown Gaslamp Quarter, BiCE San Diego offers a skillful mix of traditional and contemporary Italian cuisine prepared with the best seasonal ingredients. BiCE combines an elegant and chic ambience with a warm and inviting atmosphere, including a beautiful exposed wine cellar and an award-winning, full-service Italian cheese bar, which offers a constantly rotating selection of formaggi. The BiCE menu includes both classic and trend-driven Italian dishes, with standouts including homemade pastas, unique meat and seafood dishes and decadent desserts. BiCE was recently recognized by the renowned James Beard Kitchen, where Chefs Mario Cassineri and Francesca Penoncelli were invited to share their Italian creations with some of New York City's greatest culinary minds. Chef Penoncelli was also awarded for the "Best Vegetarian" dish at the 2013 San Diego Food & Wine Festival and was named one of the top six female chefs by U-T San Diego.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
BICE - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
BICE - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)special occasion (75)romantic (67)notable wine list (62)neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (26)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (7)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- could have been 4 stars, butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Scallops were excellent, but the seafood spaghetti should have been easy to make great. But crab dried out and salty, clams were not in there shell and overcooked until dry and chewy, muscles in the shell but over cooked, very little salmon or Chilean sea bass. It seemed that this dish was cooked ahead of time and warmed up for us and if made fresh could have been easily much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2014The food is outstanding. Must order the pear & fennel salad. Good wine list and friendly attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2014Would highly recommend it. I had the Trio de Tartare which was excellent and then scallops. The only minor complaint on the table was someone who said he prefered his risotto less well cookedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but too noisyroseDined on 10/20/2014We were a party of eight. We were happy with the food in general. But when I checked the bill later that night, I noticed that excessive beverage was charged. We did not have alcoholic drinks, but the bill charged seven big bottles of Perrier sparkling water (42 dollars), which I do not think was actually served. I did not have time to talk about this with the restaurant the following day as we were leaving. I would advise guests to be careful with their bills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loud, loud, loudonlygoodfoodDined on 10/19/2014We were a group of 10 for dinner during a meeting at the San Diego convention center. We had to wait 40 minutes for our table even though we had a reservation. The owner was apologetic and did give us small glasses of champagne. When we were finally seated they had put two table of different sizes together in the very center of the dining room which was awkard and very very noisy. It was difficult to hear even if someone was sitting next to you. The food was oK but not exceptional.
- Nice but priceyDoggyBagDined on 10/18/2014Very expensive wine list but they seem to think their list is pretty special. They have a beautiful cellar. The restaurant is very pretty and service was good but our waiter put more effort into a table close enough for us to see and hear. Food was very good but the cheese is the star here. Chimay on tap. Bar space is small. Really this is a special occasion restaurant. Dress nice and be prepared to spend money. Over $100 for 1 salad, 1pasta, 1 fish entree, 1 espresso and a half bottle of prosecco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bice - Molto Bene!JagsDined on 10/18/2014Dinner at Bice is always a wonderful experience. The atmosphere is vibrant, service is impeccable, wine selection is fantastic...and the food is simply the best I've had in over 30 years in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable food experience. . .Blackscarf1Dined on 10/17/2014While on our visit to San Diego we were looking for an upscale restaurant that provided beautifully prepared food from fresh ingredients, a great wine list and impeccable service. This describes BICE to a T! We had a tantalizing meal from the appetizers to dessert and we felt completely taken care of. We will remember this dinner out and will definitely recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the cheese bar!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Our group of seven had a lovely dinner at Bice. My favorite part of the meal was the selection of Italian cheeses from their extensive cheese bar, carefully selected for us. It's a great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Beware off menu pricingSDeatsDined on 10/11/2014If this were a review for the food alone it would be 5 stars. Two issues affected our experience. First is the noise level, which was very, very high. Could not have a meaningful conversation all night. Second is the cost for ordering non-menu items. The drinks menu includes an appetizer list. There was a dish on the list we ordered priced at $11. To our surprise, the final price for this plate was $22. Reason told to us afterwards is the price is doubled in the dining room. Mind you it was an extra 20 feet they had to carry the plate. The other price surprise was the $18 per plate of pasta with marinara sauce for the kids. Food was good, but not worth $18. Both of the price issues could have been avoided had they let us know up front.Special Features:
- LDUBDined on 10/8/2014wine, food, and service were all excellent. The restaurant even offered an online coupon that made it an even greater value. Menu is exclusively Italian with many excellent pasta dishes as well as other items. Wine list was extensive and mostly Italian. Waiter was knowledgeable. nSpecial Features:
- Great restaurant.Joj9795VIPDined on 10/6/2014Food and service top notch. LOVED the ambiance too. Definitely try the tortellini with Gorgonzola sauce deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable food and servicetennesballDined on 10/4/2014Excellent service from knowledgeable staff. Food is fresh and downright deliciousSpecial Features:
- Rude hostessSDResidentsDined on 10/3/2014we made reservations and received a table next to the kitchen when the restaurant was nearly empty. The hostess told us that the other tables were specifically requested for reservation. I find that hard to believe since most tables were empty. We were not poorly dressed where we needed to be hidden next to the busy kitchen entrance. Maybe she was waiting for a tip? We ordered a cheese plate for an appetizer. It was pungent and sharp cheese. We did not eat it, and told the waiter was not to our satisfication. He took the plate away and charged us for it anyway. The catch of the day was swordfish. It was too salty, but cooked perfectly and was the best part of the meal. We also ordered the freshly made tortiloni, which was gummy.
- Excellent!AndyDined on 10/2/2014We took a friend for a retirement dinner and the food, service and atmosphere were all outstanding. My wife got the chop, and it was so big there was plenty of leftovers. Reheated 2 days later, the meat was still tender & juicy. Just make a reservation and go. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- 2diners2dinersVIPDined on 9/29/2014Entrees were very good and the burata and prosciutto appetizer was deliciousSpecial Features:
- Incredible experienceVicRDined on 9/27/2014Bice was recommended by a colleague as THE perfect downtown restaurant for my wedding anniversary and I was not disappointed. We were promptly seated, waited on and never rushed. Our server (Lisa? Blonde and foreign) was wonderful. We asked for recommendations and got a recitation of the possibilities that really reflected well on her knowledge of the cuisine and what my wife and might really enjoy. She was spot. She was perfectly attentive without being an interruption to our special night. The lasagna was the best I have ever experienced and the sea bass was done to perfection according to my wife who is a hard to please when it comes to fish. We left thinking this was the best dining experience either of us could remember!Special Features:
- Upscale Italian food with flare!GiovanniVIPDined on 9/27/2014If you enjoy culinary creativity, Bice is the place for you. We ordered the Pulpo Salad and a Prociutto appetizer to start - both were prepared exquisitely. The swordfish and sea bass entres were tastefully prepared - the fish was very fresh and seasoned perfectly. We couldn't resist having the Pistachio and gelato dessert which wrapped up a very tasty meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pup1VIPDined on 9/27/2014The men's room was not very clean....water on the counter top and pieces of stuff on the floor. No one had apparently checked it during the evening dinner period. Some one should be doing that. A lovely restaurant, but a nasty men's room.Special Features:
- BICE Gets Customer FocusGpaxmanDined on 9/27/2014We had a reservation but needed to wait a few minutes so we sat at the bar. Nice bar scene. The server, a lovely Italian waitress was attentive and made us feel special and welcome and offered some suggestions, versus it is all good. All the food was delicious, presentation was lovely, the ambiance upscale. BICE is on my list for my next visit to San Diego.Special Features:
- loved itjjelDined on 9/27/2014We needed a place walking distance to the civic theatre and at .57 miles this was perfect. It's a little pricey but the ambience, service and food make it well worth it.Special Features:
- Food "surprises my mouth"IBmama2reviewsDined on 9/27/2014Went for special occasion with friend to celebrate our 'survival' after some brutal weeks, and we were absolutely delighted: shared octopus salad appetizer, entrees: superb gnocci in a great sauce, and scallops with a squid ink and other sauce that was exquisite. Desserts delighted: chocolate lava cake with pistachios and rasperry sauce + hibiscus ice cream; coffee budino. All food was perfect. Restaurant was out of decaf expresso, only disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall OKJoelDined on 9/27/2014Food was ok. Evening would have been fine, if not for the disgusting piece of long hair found in the vinegar/olive oil plate for bread. Asked one of the waiter (not the server, but the one who brought the food) to get a new one. Did not lodge a complain, probably will not go back again.Special Features:
- My Fav DowntownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Bice is fabulous! The décor is classy. The service is impeccable. The food is delicious. Order the cheese plate paired with jams or honey. The housemade cheese selection is incredible. Love it, love it, love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheese bar is special!OutOftenDined on 9/26/2014We got a cheese selection plus the salumi/other meats platter--lots of fun! So much food it made us unable to finish our very good entrees, though. Good wine list. Waiter may be used to more convention-themed groups. We were there to celebrate a birthday and so only spent $50 a person...Special Features:
- AMAZING food!!!happydinnerDined on 9/25/2014Let's start with the bread. OMG, it was so good, I haven't have such tasty bread for a long time. The cheeses bar was great. I was there for the restaurant week, and the menu had many entree to choose from. The food was outstanding, and the dessert..MMmmm....yummy!Special Features:
- AcceptableAtudeDined on 9/25/2014Service was great; however, medium-rare steak was partially raw. A new steak was provided. Other than that, caesar salad was tasty and substitutions readily provided. Your participation is encouraged.Special Features:
- YummyPugsrgreatDined on 9/24/2014Really enjoyed our dinner at BICE. Delicious Italian food with a flair. Service and ambience were excellent. Love the huge windows and the high ceilings. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come Back OftendavidVIPDined on 9/19/2014We are remembered by name and served superbly. The food is excellent and the location is near a lot of great areas in downtown San Diego. We were pleased again and will return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe I'm too criticalBoudinDined on 9/18/2014I don't have time to do a detailed review. All three of our appetizers were fantastic. Their mozzarella was great. I did not do as well on my entre, but my wife and friend did much better. I would go back. I also would give them a half star higher rating if I could.Special Features:
- EllenVIPDined on 9/11/2014For the price, there are many more restaurants with better Italian fare.
- Good food, needs an updateDebsd222VIPDined on 9/4/2014The food here is really quite good. I had a fennel salad and a lamb loin with figs that was amazing. The decor, unfortunately, is outdated.....everything is all black, with servers dressed in black, kind of a 90's throwback.Special Features:
- Good food, but priceyOCFoodieDined on 8/30/2014Food was very good -- would recommend the octopus salad. Initially a bit worried because it smelled fishy inside the restaurant, but food was very good. The portions were a bit small for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional serviceHaukDined on 8/29/2014The waiter was impressive in his knowledge of the menu, wine, etc. The food was cooked excellent and we were there for 3.5h just enjoying the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian at it's best!LovesToEatDined on 8/28/2014I love Italian food and am often disappointed, not this time! I recommended BICE for a friend's birthday celebrate, there were 7 of us. We had an attentive waiter, great wine and everyone ordered something different for their entrée. It ALL was beautiful and very tasty. My pasta was especially fabulous with fresh Mexican shrimp. The dessert they brought my friend was beautiful and so yummy. Thank you BICE for making this night very special for us all and most importantly for my friend :0)Special Features:
- Special Service from PaoloWineSQNDined on 8/25/2014We came late on a Monday night when the Emmy award was on TV. Therefore the restaurant was not crowded at all and we got special service from Paolo. Food was outstanding. My family, mainly vegetarians plus gluten/lactose intolerance were very satisfied and would have loved to ncomer again, but we were just for a couple of days in San Diego.Special Features:
- An excellent rstaurantAA18VIPDined on 8/24/2014Bice is an outstanding restaurant in San Diego, perhaps one of the best in the city. Food is outstanding, so is the service. I would strongly recommend this restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites downtown...GilSDDined on 8/23/2014Has consistently been a great experience... Food is excellent, service was wonderful and the atmosphere has been great.Special Features:
- Bice is Bellisimo!JoBaggaDonutsDined on 8/23/2014We were celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary, and decided to give Bice a try. So glad we did. The food was fabulous, the service outstanding, and the ambiance was perfect! Will definitely be going back for more!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeGreatnessDined on 8/22/2014This place is amazing! My fiancé and I go this Resturant when we are in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.