BICE - San Diego
425 Island Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
BICE - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bicesandiego.com/
- Phone: (619) 239-2423
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Vegetarian / Vegan, Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Cassineri
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Easter and Mother's Day Brunch 12pm to 8:30pm.
A word from BICE - San Diego
Ideally located in the heart of San Diego's downtown Gaslamp Quarter, BiCE San Diego offers a skillful mix of traditional and contemporary Italian cuisine prepared with the best seasonal ingredients. BiCE combines an elegant and chic ambience with a warm and inviting atmosphere, including a beautiful exposed wine cellar and an award-winning, full-service Italian cheese bar, which offers a constantly rotating selection of formaggi. The BiCE menu includes both classic and trend-driven Italian dishes, with standouts including homemade pastas, unique meat and seafood dishes and decadent desserts. BiCE was recently recognized by the renowned James Beard Kitchen, where Chefs Mario Cassineri and Francesca Penoncelli were invited to share their Italian creations with some of New York City's greatest culinary minds. Chef Penoncelli was also awarded for the "Best Vegetarian" dish at the 2013 San Diego Food & Wine Festival and was named one of the top six female chefs by U-T San Diego.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
BICE - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
BICE - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (84)fit for foodies (83)romantic (73)notable wine list (67)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (32)hot spot (25)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Very good food but service with an attitudegeraldroyrondoeVIPDined on 11/22/2014We found the food to be very good. Appetizers were delicious and creative. My entree was Veal ala Milanese. Excellent preparation of this classic. Service at the bar and by the hosts was excellent but our waiter had a very brusque attitude and was not engaging at all. Overall I rate Bice as 4 stars and would return but hopefully have a better waiterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait-recommend 1st seating onlycea1VIPDined on 11/22/2014We were obviously a 2nd seating group with reservation at 8:15. It took nearly an hour to get our dinner- appetizers came out pretty quick. Food was good. It would have been nice if our waiter had kept us apprised of the wait time and possibly have given us more bread or another appetizer/drink to have something coming to the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FOOD AND SERVICE ARE GREAT EVERYTIMEOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/21/2014The cheese is one of the reasons to go. So many good ones to choose from. The after dinner drinks are yummy and worth saving room for. The food is different and not just your usual fare, which is refreshing. My husband had the rabbit pasta and thought it was great. The servers (or at the least the one we have had a couple of times) is a true Italian and makes you feel like you are getting the Italian experience. The only downfall is where they sit you. We have been here numerous times, We are always offered the same bad tables, in an aisle next to a swinging door. Since we know where we want to sit and where we don't, we include in our notes at the time of reservation. But, they don't seem to look at the notes, and this time they put us in the absolute worst table in the house. Tables open up quickly, so if they try to do this to you, just get a drink at the bar. It won't take long to get a better table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great downtown restaurant!2dinersVIPDined on 11/20/2014We love the cheese and salami tasting experience - always a great selection. Our entrees were great - seasonal ingredients and well preparedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatDanSDined on 11/17/2014The food for the most part was good, I thought the portions were a little small. Our sever was a bit of a disappointment when he confused our order and preferred to argue that he was right instead of making it right. Really? Not an inexpensive place to dine. I had the seafood spaghetti and it was a well prepared dish, just a bit small. The lasagna was well received as was the fish special. I'm not sure what we had for dessert but, nobody had more than one bite. Good place not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodEatsOutALotDined on 11/8/2014The tomato jam was awesome in the appetizer. Service was very good and the staff was super friendly. I would eat here again next time time I'm in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- datenightDined on 11/8/2014Hostess was very nice. Food was mediocre but not bad. Worst service I have had in years! The waiter ignored us and didn't even take a drink order. An experience I hope to never repeat.
- 4mSanDiDined on 11/8/2014Service was poor to nonexistent - food was just OK, nothing special for the price. Will not be returning
- Change in vibeSharonSDined on 11/1/2014Quite a difference in ambiance since our last visit. Previously our waiter was formally dressed and restaurant had an upscale, romantic vibe. Now it has gone 'trendly' - our waiter wore a sportshirt and wasn't nearly as available and attentive as in the past. The food is still outstanding, but I was disappointed in the change in atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing bad nothing memorableSurfysurfyDined on 10/31/2014Not worth the price tag and the ambiance was full. Bored decor with a boring meal.Special Features:
- Elegant but WarmNew2downtownVIPDined on 10/28/2014BICE is an elegant restaurant that serves outstanding Italian cuisine. The service is impeccable yet unpretentious. The cheese bar, the $5 an item Happy Hour, and ambience make this a place you want to eat at all the time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bice dissappointskristinDined on 10/25/2014We've been wanting to try BICE for years. It didn't live up to our expectations. Service felt like we were at a tourist spot and seemed very aloof. Then, we realized several people around us had living social coupons...no wonder. The food and wine were very good but the ambiance was only fair. We had a buffala app with prosciutto and it was excellent. We also had the lasagna, very rich, and the fruite de mare, it was cooked al dente, which was great, but, the fish didn't seem like fresh caught and was just okay. Not a place we will go back to unfortunately.Special Features:
- could have been 4 stars, butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Scallops were excellent, but the seafood spaghetti should have been easy to make great. But crab dried out and salty, clams were not in there shell and overcooked until dry and chewy, muscles in the shell but over cooked, very little salmon or Chilean sea bass. It seemed that this dish was cooked ahead of time and warmed up for us and if made fresh could have been easily much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special foodTessieDined on 10/23/2014The food is outstanding. Must order the pear & fennel salad. Good wine list and friendly attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2014Would highly recommend it. I had the Trio de Tartare which was excellent and then scallops. The only minor complaint on the table was someone who said he prefered his risotto less well cookedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but too noisyroseDined on 10/20/2014We were a party of eight. We were happy with the food in general. But when I checked the bill later that night, I noticed that excessive beverage was charged. We did not have alcoholic drinks, but the bill charged seven big bottles of Perrier sparkling water (42 dollars), which I do not think was actually served. I did not have time to talk about this with the restaurant the following day as we were leaving. I would advise guests to be careful with their bills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loud, loud, loudonlygoodfoodDined on 10/19/2014We were a group of 10 for dinner during a meeting at the San Diego convention center. We had to wait 40 minutes for our table even though we had a reservation. The owner was apologetic and did give us small glasses of champagne. When we were finally seated they had put two table of different sizes together in the very center of the dining room which was awkard and very very noisy. It was difficult to hear even if someone was sitting next to you. The food was oK but not exceptional.
- Nice but priceyDoggyBagDined on 10/18/2014Very expensive wine list but they seem to think their list is pretty special. They have a beautiful cellar. The restaurant is very pretty and service was good but our waiter put more effort into a table close enough for us to see and hear. Food was very good but the cheese is the star here. Chimay on tap. Bar space is small. Really this is a special occasion restaurant. Dress nice and be prepared to spend money. Over $100 for 1 salad, 1pasta, 1 fish entree, 1 espresso and a half bottle of prosecco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bice - Molto Bene!JagsDined on 10/18/2014Dinner at Bice is always a wonderful experience. The atmosphere is vibrant, service is impeccable, wine selection is fantastic...and the food is simply the best I've had in over 30 years in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable food experience. . .Blackscarf1Dined on 10/17/2014While on our visit to San Diego we were looking for an upscale restaurant that provided beautifully prepared food from fresh ingredients, a great wine list and impeccable service. This describes BICE to a T! We had a tantalizing meal from the appetizers to dessert and we felt completely taken care of. We will remember this dinner out and will definitely recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the cheese bar!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Our group of seven had a lovely dinner at Bice. My favorite part of the meal was the selection of Italian cheeses from their extensive cheese bar, carefully selected for us. It's a great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Beware off menu pricingSDeatsDined on 10/11/2014If this were a review for the food alone it would be 5 stars. Two issues affected our experience. First is the noise level, which was very, very high. Could not have a meaningful conversation all night. Second is the cost for ordering non-menu items. The drinks menu includes an appetizer list. There was a dish on the list we ordered priced at $11. To our surprise, the final price for this plate was $22. Reason told to us afterwards is the price is doubled in the dining room. Mind you it was an extra 20 feet they had to carry the plate. The other price surprise was the $18 per plate of pasta with marinara sauce for the kids. Food was good, but not worth $18. Both of the price issues could have been avoided had they let us know up front.Special Features:
- LDUBDined on 10/8/2014wine, food, and service were all excellent. The restaurant even offered an online coupon that made it an even greater value. Menu is exclusively Italian with many excellent pasta dishes as well as other items. Wine list was extensive and mostly Italian. Waiter was knowledgeable. nSpecial Features:
- Great restaurant.Joj9795VIPDined on 10/6/2014Food and service top notch. LOVED the ambiance too. Definitely try the tortellini with Gorgonzola sauce deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable food and servicetennesballDined on 10/4/2014Excellent service from knowledgeable staff. Food is fresh and downright deliciousSpecial Features:
- Rude hostessSDResidentsDined on 10/3/2014we made reservations and received a table next to the kitchen when the restaurant was nearly empty. The hostess told us that the other tables were specifically requested for reservation. I find that hard to believe since most tables were empty. We were not poorly dressed where we needed to be hidden next to the busy kitchen entrance. Maybe she was waiting for a tip? We ordered a cheese plate for an appetizer. It was pungent and sharp cheese. We did not eat it, and told the waiter was not to our satisfication. He took the plate away and charged us for it anyway. The catch of the day was swordfish. It was too salty, but cooked perfectly and was the best part of the meal. We also ordered the freshly made tortiloni, which was gummy.
- Excellent!AndyDined on 10/2/2014We took a friend for a retirement dinner and the food, service and atmosphere were all outstanding. My wife got the chop, and it was so big there was plenty of leftovers. Reheated 2 days later, the meat was still tender & juicy. Just make a reservation and go. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- 2diners2dinersVIPDined on 9/29/2014Entrees were very good and the burata and prosciutto appetizer was deliciousSpecial Features:
- Incredible experienceVicRDined on 9/27/2014Bice was recommended by a colleague as THE perfect downtown restaurant for my wedding anniversary and I was not disappointed. We were promptly seated, waited on and never rushed. Our server (Lisa? Blonde and foreign) was wonderful. We asked for recommendations and got a recitation of the possibilities that really reflected well on her knowledge of the cuisine and what my wife and might really enjoy. She was spot. She was perfectly attentive without being an interruption to our special night. The lasagna was the best I have ever experienced and the sea bass was done to perfection according to my wife who is a hard to please when it comes to fish. We left thinking this was the best dining experience either of us could remember!Special Features:
- Upscale Italian food with flare!GiovanniVIPDined on 9/27/2014If you enjoy culinary creativity, Bice is the place for you. We ordered the Pulpo Salad and a Prociutto appetizer to start - both were prepared exquisitely. The swordfish and sea bass entres were tastefully prepared - the fish was very fresh and seasoned perfectly. We couldn't resist having the Pistachio and gelato dessert which wrapped up a very tasty meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pup1VIPDined on 9/27/2014The men's room was not very clean....water on the counter top and pieces of stuff on the floor. No one had apparently checked it during the evening dinner period. Some one should be doing that. A lovely restaurant, but a nasty men's room.Special Features:
- BICE Gets Customer FocusGpaxmanDined on 9/27/2014We had a reservation but needed to wait a few minutes so we sat at the bar. Nice bar scene. The server, a lovely Italian waitress was attentive and made us feel special and welcome and offered some suggestions, versus it is all good. All the food was delicious, presentation was lovely, the ambiance upscale. BICE is on my list for my next visit to San Diego.Special Features:
- loved itjjelDined on 9/27/2014We needed a place walking distance to the civic theatre and at .57 miles this was perfect. It's a little pricey but the ambience, service and food make it well worth it.Special Features:
- Food "surprises my mouth"IBmama2reviewsDined on 9/27/2014Went for special occasion with friend to celebrate our 'survival' after some brutal weeks, and we were absolutely delighted: shared octopus salad appetizer, entrees: superb gnocci in a great sauce, and scallops with a squid ink and other sauce that was exquisite. Desserts delighted: chocolate lava cake with pistachios and rasperry sauce + hibiscus ice cream; coffee budino. All food was perfect. Restaurant was out of decaf expresso, only disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall OKJoelDined on 9/27/2014Food was ok. Evening would have been fine, if not for the disgusting piece of long hair found in the vinegar/olive oil plate for bread. Asked one of the waiter (not the server, but the one who brought the food) to get a new one. Did not lodge a complain, probably will not go back again.Special Features:
- My Fav DowntownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Bice is fabulous! The décor is classy. The service is impeccable. The food is delicious. Order the cheese plate paired with jams or honey. The housemade cheese selection is incredible. Love it, love it, love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheese bar is special!OutOftenDined on 9/26/2014We got a cheese selection plus the salumi/other meats platter--lots of fun! So much food it made us unable to finish our very good entrees, though. Good wine list. Waiter may be used to more convention-themed groups. We were there to celebrate a birthday and so only spent $50 a person...Special Features:
- AMAZING food!!!happydinnerDined on 9/25/2014Let's start with the bread. OMG, it was so good, I haven't have such tasty bread for a long time. The cheeses bar was great. I was there for the restaurant week, and the menu had many entree to choose from. The food was outstanding, and the dessert..MMmmm....yummy!Special Features:
- AcceptableAtudeDined on 9/25/2014Service was great; however, medium-rare steak was partially raw. A new steak was provided. Other than that, caesar salad was tasty and substitutions readily provided. Your participation is encouraged.Special Features:
- YummyPugsrgreatDined on 9/24/2014Really enjoyed our dinner at BICE. Delicious Italian food with a flair. Service and ambience were excellent. Love the huge windows and the high ceilings. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.