BICE - San Diego
425 Island Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
BICE - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bicesandiego.com/
- Phone: 6192392423x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Vegetarian / Vegan, Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Cassineri
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Easter and Mother's Day Brunch 12pm to 8:30pm.
A word from BICE - San Diego
Ideally located in the heart of San Diego's downtown Gaslamp Quarter, BiCE San Diego offers a skillful mix of traditional and contemporary Italian cuisine prepared with the best seasonal ingredients. BiCE combines an elegant and chic ambience with a warm and inviting atmosphere, including a beautiful exposed wine cellar and an award-winning, full-service Italian cheese bar, which offers a constantly rotating selection of formaggi. The BiCE menu includes both classic and trend-driven Italian dishes, with standouts including homemade pastas, unique meat and seafood dishes and decadent desserts. BiCE was recently recognized by the renowned James Beard Kitchen, where Chefs Mario Cassineri and Francesca Penoncelli were invited to share their Italian creations with some of New York City's greatest culinary minds. Chef Penoncelli was also awarded for the "Best Vegetarian" dish at the 2013 San Diego Food & Wine Festival and was named one of the top six female chefs by U-T San Diego.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
BICE - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
BICE - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (62)fit for foodies (59)romantic (51)notable wine list (49)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (18)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (7)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good food, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Food was very good -- would recommend the octopus salad. Initially a bit worried because it smelled fishy inside the restaurant, but food was very good. The portions were a bit small for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional serviceHaukDined on 8/29/2014The waiter was impressive in his knowledge of the menu, wine, etc. The food was cooked excellent and we were there for 3.5h just enjoying the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian at it's best!LovesToEatDined on 8/28/2014I love Italian food and am often disappointed, not this time! I recommended BICE for a friend's birthday celebrate, there were 7 of us. We had an attentive waiter, great wine and everyone ordered something different for their entrée. It ALL was beautiful and very tasty. My pasta was especially fabulous with fresh Mexican shrimp. The dessert they brought my friend was beautiful and so yummy. Thank you BICE for making this night very special for us all and most importantly for my friend :0)Special Features:
- An excellent rstaurantAA18VIPDined on 8/24/2014Bice is an outstanding restaurant in San Diego, perhaps one of the best in the city. Food is outstanding, so is the service. I would strongly recommend this restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites downtown...GilSDDined on 8/23/2014Has consistently been a great experience... Food is excellent, service was wonderful and the atmosphere has been great.Special Features:
- Bice is Bellisimo!JoBaggaDonutsDined on 8/23/2014We were celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary, and decided to give Bice a try. So glad we did. The food was fabulous, the service outstanding, and the ambiance was perfect! Will definitely be going back for more!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeGreatnessDined on 8/22/2014This place is amazing! My fiancé and I go this Resturant when we are in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentablefanVIPDined on 8/20/2014The venison and parpadelle were amazing. If you are I the mood for crazy, try the tempura marshmallows w/tomato jam, at the bar The service at this restaurant is superb.Special Features:
- Best gluten free dinner & dessert!glutenfreeDivaDined on 8/16/2014It's not easy to eat out for gluten free but this place was amazing!!! It was our anniversary and they gave us a tasty 3 course meal and dessert. Started with a cheese plate, best gluten free pasta, Chilean sea bass, and the best gluten free lava cake with ice cream and berries!! I would recommend to anyone that loves food and especially gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first visit!HankDined on 8/16/2014Food was outstanding and reasonably priced. Good wine selection and nice modern feel to the place. One block off the corner of busy 5th St craziness in Gaslamp which makes it perfectly located.... Not too busy but within walking distance of all the other night life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Molto buonoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Loved the cheese plate with honey and jams. Also loved the truffle oil on the fish. Would like to come back and try more dishes. Great food, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thought we were in ItalyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2014The food here was fabulous and the service was outstanding. The charcuterie selection we left up to the chef with a stronger flavor request. It did not disappoint. The bread is an interesting selection paired with a cream cheese and vinegar/olive oil. I had to stop myself to not fill up on the appetizers and bread combo. The scallops were the best we've had anywhere and the seafood pasta was varied with a very tasty broth. We finished with the pineapple tart and tiramisu. I can't say enough, we will be back very soon. Oh, by the way it's pronounced beachea.Special Features:
- Simply marvellousOttawanianDined on 8/9/2014Saturday night dinner at Bice was perfect. The food was exceptional, beautifully plated and the optimal amount. The service was impeccable and the servers were unobtrusive and served with grace and old world Italian charm. Gracie Bice!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not all bice the sameSuePur911VIPDined on 8/6/2014i ate in bice in nyc- i loved it. I liked this one, too, but I didnt think it was as good as the nyc one. The room is spare, modern, lots of street-level windows for people-watching in the gaslamp district. We had calamari app, very good. decent wine list (limited to italian). The menu is contemporary Italian. Not heavy, and the veggies seemed fresh. Good place.Special Features:
- FoodFood2luvDined on 8/4/2014Portion size is very small! We ordered two snacks and two dishes. The price is too expensive for the food portion/size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I've been to Bice for dinner three times, and it is splendid. This last time, I took my 12-year-old daughter. It couldn't have been better. The staff - as always - was dignified, indulgent and charming. They made my daughter feel totally adored. We preceded the meal at the cheese bar. This is a total treat for me every time I'm here. The staff knows and loves their cheeses. The more questions you ask, the more they enthusiastic they become. The cheeses were sublime! Our main courses were from the "specialties" part of the menu. I had butternut squash raviolis in a sage sauce topped with crumbled bacon. My daughter had gnocchi in a cream sauce with asparagus and tomato. The gnocchi was fantastic. Raviolis a little dry. Dessert was - wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!MrsjerryfaceDined on 8/1/2014Excellent menu and delightful wine list...but wait! There's more! Try the cheeses.Special Features:
- Loved Bice!LoveSanDiegoDined on 7/28/2014We went to Bice for our anniversary, and it did not disappoint. We enjoyed everything- the food, the service, the ambience. The chef came out to check on us, and our waiter was wonderful. We will definitely go again!Special Features:
- Another great meal at BICEOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/24/2014BICE Ristorante is an Italian restaurant in the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego. + Fantastic service from the wait staff, sommelier, and management + Truly inspired Italian dishes including the seafood which is outstanding + Very nice selection of wine and beerSpecial Features:
- Dependably great.spossumVIPDined on 7/24/2014Love coming here. Only authentic high level Italian restaurant in San Diego. Great food and wine list and chefs Mario and Francesca couldn't be nicer. Honored to have James Beards chefs cooking away for us here in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMeg23Dined on 7/20/2014The prosciutto was out of this world! It melted in my mouth. The veal was also very tasty. I would definitely go back for another special occasion.Special Features:
- Best Italian FoocOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2014The food and dining experience at BiCe was wonderful!! Excellent wine choice with fabulous cheese appetizers, and the best made pasta dishes! Melt in your mouth, savory dishes! YUM!!Special Features:
- enjoyable experienceBo1251Dined on 7/6/2014Second time here and made it a point to visit on my trip to San Diego. Affable staff and attentive to detail without being intrusive. Food was well crafted , very flavorful. My wife and I will return next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great meal at BiCEchurchillDined on 7/3/2014BiCE offers some of the best Northern Italian cuisine in San Diego. A particular favorite of mine is the Spinach Gnocci with crab meat sauce, which is tasty & rich but not so filling that you won't have room for dessert. BiCE's location can be challenging for parking so unless you get lucky with a space on the street, you'll probably have to suck it up and valet. If you like a little whiskey after dinner, check out the Palace Bar inside the Horton Grand Hotel directly across the street from BiCE, as it has one of the finest selections of good scotch, Irish whiskey and Kentucky bourbon in SD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy anniversary?MarathonManVIPDined on 7/1/2014We had a wonderful evening in June celebrating my wife's birthday, complete with a prosecco toast and dessert. When we returned in July to celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary, we anticipated the same service. Unfortunately, we were disappointed. BiCE is a nice restaurant, although it did not live up to our expectations this time.Special Features:
- Fabulous food-atmosphere & service!Good4EatingDined on 6/28/2014We went Saturday night. It was our second visit and definitely won't be our last! The bleu cheese cotton candy appetizer is to die for!!! And the deep fried marshmallow with tomato jam and chocolate drizzle is right up there too!!! Amazing!!! WOW!!! And the 7-cheese platter was wonderful! If anyone is in San Diego, this place is a MUST!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining spot!hungryiDined on 6/26/2014Our dining experience at Bice was delightful. From the understated, modern ambiance to the tasty entrees, this restaurant did everything well. Service in both the bar and dining area was quick and attentive. Prices were moderate, especially since the food offerings were excellent.Special Features:
- Delicious FlavorsHankypooDined on 6/26/2014The restaurant was very contemporary. Although we did not have wine, the wine steward was quite good from what we saw and heard around us. The waiter was knowledgable but getting him to our table was a task. The food presentation and food were quite good and flavorful. Menu was however somewhat limited.Special Features:
- Great date nightCbus4Dined on 6/26/2014We have now had two special anniversaries here. The menu is interesting, the cheese and wine is amazing, and the service was absolutely wonderful. They helped make a special night even more special.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/25/2014Outstanding food and service. Relaxed pace. - Just wish they could do something to dampen the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience, great food.CJBadgeVIPDined on 6/24/2014This is a wonderful restaurant. Love the food, the service, and ambiance. Upon the recommendation of the maitre de, my party had a lovely table-shared cheese and charcuterie appetizer, then enjoyed individual appertizers, which were all delicious and expertly prepared. The Primi Piatti can be reduced to half size, if you are doing a full 4 courses, and the parpardelle with a lamb ragu that was added to evening's menu was exquisite (I should have had a full sized course and skipped the Secondi). The veal chop Milanese was perfect; moist and tender inside, crisp outside, accompanied with arugula. We skipped the dessert course, but I'm sure it would have been perfect, as well. Great Italian wine list. The Sagrantino we choose was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bice San Diegoluvfood27VIPDined on 6/20/2014I love this place. Have never had a bad meal. They also have a cheese bar that is to die for.Special Features:
- High quality Italian foodJoannaDKDined on 6/20/2014I had a wonderful 3-course dinner at the BICE. Starter, maim dish and dessert were excellent. Genuine Italian cuisine with a modern twist. Highly recommended. Next time I will be in San Diego, I will definately be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheese barLab2013Dined on 6/15/2014the best ever cheese bar with match of jams and winesSpecial Features:
- Disappointed2LovebugsDined on 6/11/2014Last year, same date, the service and food was fabulous. This year, the noise was deafening, the service was basic needs met, the food average. We had requested, through Open Table, a quiet romantic table. We were seated between a table of 6 and 4. We were told the noisier table of 6 were leaving. Not true. Finally our server relocated us to the vacant side of the restaurant. It's really too bad. We drove down to San Diego from No CA because we loved BICE so much on our 30th anniversary. We won't be celebrating 32nd there. :(Special Features:
- Sold ExperiencejdaneseDined on 6/10/2014Had a business dinner at Bice and the food, drink and service were all on mark. Especially enjoyed the cheese selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal w/out of town guestsRowwrVIPDined on 6/6/2014We had an amazing meal at Bice on Friday night with our in-laws from San Francisco. Being foodies we wanted to take them to a place that can satisfy their refined palates. We chose Bice and were we in for a treat. The cheese counter was amazing. We sampled 3 wonderful Italian cheeses while also enjoying their trio of seafood tartars. Delicious. Then we enjoyed a great selection of their entrees. I had the Mano de Leon scallops. They were huge and cooked to perfection. This was all enjoyed with a great bottle of Brunello. Cheers to Bice.Special Features:
- Great FoodDidyanneDined on 5/31/2014I have been dining at Bice several times a month since the day it opened. There have been many changes, but there is one constant--the great food of Mario and Francesca. Most restaurants have one or two dishes that appeal, at Bice, deciding from the many wonderful choices is hard. The service is great. The dining rooms are very comfortable. The bar is our favorite space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ItalianAlboresDined on 5/31/2014Great pasta, and excelent service the salads need work and very good wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remains a great place2aboutUVIPDined on 5/31/2014Second year running the San Diego Rock N Roll Marathon and second time going to BICE the night before the race. Food quality is excellent as is the service. This time I got one of the specials, Rigatoni with Swordfish and while the taste was great, I thought the portion size was small given the price point. Otherwise I would recommend the restaurant to about anyone as it is a good choice for a nicer Gaslamp option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.