BICE - San Diego
425 Island Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
BICE - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bicesandiego.com/
- Phone: 6192392423x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Vegetarian / Vegan, Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Cassineri
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Easter and Mother's Day Brunch 12pm to 8:30pm.
A word from BICE - San Diego
Ideally located in the heart of San Diego's downtown Gaslamp Quarter, BiCE San Diego offers a skillful mix of traditional and contemporary Italian cuisine prepared with the best seasonal ingredients. BiCE combines an elegant and chic ambience with a warm and inviting atmosphere, including a beautiful exposed wine cellar and an award-winning, full-service Italian cheese bar, which offers a constantly rotating selection of formaggi. The BiCE menu includes both classic and trend-driven Italian dishes, with standouts including homemade pastas, unique meat and seafood dishes and decadent desserts. BiCE was recently recognized by the renowned James Beard Kitchen, where Chefs Mario Cassineri and Francesca Penoncelli were invited to share their Italian creations with some of New York City's greatest culinary minds. Chef Penoncelli was also awarded for the "Best Vegetarian" dish at the 2013 San Diego Food & Wine Festival and was named one of the top six female chefs by U-T San Diego.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
BICE - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
BICE - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (71)fit for foodies (70)romantic (62)notable wine list (57)neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (21)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Incredible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Bice was recommended by a colleague as THE perfect downtown restaurant for my wedding anniversary and I was not disappointed. We were promptly seated, waited on and never rushed. Our server (Lisa? Blonde and foreign) was wonderful. We asked for recommendations and got a recitation of the possibilities that really reflected well on her knowledge of the cuisine and what my wife and might really enjoy. She was spot. She was perfectly attentive without being an interruption to our special night. The lasagna was the best I have ever experienced and the sea bass was done to perfection according to my wife who is a hard to please when it comes to fish. We left thinking this was the best dining experience either of us could remember!Special Features:
- Upscale Italian food with flare!GiovanniVIPDined on 9/27/2014If you enjoy culinary creativity, Bice is the place for you. We ordered the Pulpo Salad and a Prociutto appetizer to start - both were prepared exquisitely. The swordfish and sea bass entres were tastefully prepared - the fish was very fresh and seasoned perfectly. We couldn't resist having the Pistachio and gelato dessert which wrapped up a very tasty meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pup1VIPDined on 9/27/2014The men's room was not very clean....water on the counter top and pieces of stuff on the floor. No one had apparently checked it during the evening dinner period. Some one should be doing that. A lovely restaurant, but a nasty men's room.Special Features:
- BICE Gets Customer FocusGpaxmanDined on 9/27/2014We had a reservation but needed to wait a few minutes so we sat at the bar. Nice bar scene. The server, a lovely Italian waitress was attentive and made us feel special and welcome and offered some suggestions, versus it is all good. All the food was delicious, presentation was lovely, the ambiance upscale. BICE is on my list for my next visit to San Diego.Special Features:
- loved itjjelDined on 9/27/2014We needed a place walking distance to the civic theatre and at .57 miles this was perfect. It's a little pricey but the ambience, service and food make it well worth it.Special Features:
- Food "surprises my mouth"IBmama2reviewsDined on 9/27/2014Went for special occasion with friend to celebrate our 'survival' after some brutal weeks, and we were absolutely delighted: shared octopus salad appetizer, entrees: superb gnocci in a great sauce, and scallops with a squid ink and other sauce that was exquisite. Desserts delighted: chocolate lava cake with pistachios and rasperry sauce + hibiscus ice cream; coffee budino. All food was perfect. Restaurant was out of decaf expresso, only disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall OKOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Food was ok. Evening would have been fine, if not for the disgusting piece of long hair found in the vinegar/olive oil plate for bread. Asked one of the waiter (not the server, but the one who brought the food) to get a new one. Did not lodge a complain, probably will not go back again.Special Features:
- My Fav DowntownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Bice is fabulous! The décor is classy. The service is impeccable. The food is delicious. Order the cheese plate paired with jams or honey. The housemade cheese selection is incredible. Love it, love it, love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheese bar is special!OutOftenDined on 9/26/2014We got a cheese selection plus the salumi/other meats platter--lots of fun! So much food it made us unable to finish our very good entrees, though. Good wine list. Waiter may be used to more convention-themed groups. We were there to celebrate a birthday and so only spent $50 a person...Special Features:
- AMAZING food!!!happydinnerDined on 9/25/2014Let's start with the bread. OMG, it was so good, I haven't have such tasty bread for a long time. The cheeses bar was great. I was there for the restaurant week, and the menu had many entree to choose from. The food was outstanding, and the dessert..MMmmm....yummy!Special Features:
- AcceptableAtudeDined on 9/25/2014Service was great; however, medium-rare steak was partially raw. A new steak was provided. Other than that, caesar salad was tasty and substitutions readily provided. Your participation is encouraged.Special Features:
- Come Back OftendavidVIPDined on 9/19/2014We are remembered by name and served superbly. The food is excellent and the location is near a lot of great areas in downtown San Diego. We were pleased again and will return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe I'm too criticalBoudinDined on 9/18/2014I don't have time to do a detailed review. All three of our appetizers were fantastic. Their mozzarella was great. I did not do as well on my entre, but my wife and friend did much better. I would go back. I also would give them a half star higher rating if I could.Special Features:
- EllenVIPDined on 9/11/2014For the price, there are many more restaurants with better Italian fare.
- Good food, needs an updateDebsd222VIPDined on 9/4/2014The food here is really quite good. I had a fennel salad and a lamb loin with figs that was amazing. The decor, unfortunately, is outdated.....everything is all black, with servers dressed in black, kind of a 90's throwback.Special Features:
- Good food, but priceyOCFoodieDined on 8/30/2014Food was very good -- would recommend the octopus salad. Initially a bit worried because it smelled fishy inside the restaurant, but food was very good. The portions were a bit small for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional serviceHaukDined on 8/29/2014The waiter was impressive in his knowledge of the menu, wine, etc. The food was cooked excellent and we were there for 3.5h just enjoying the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian at it's best!LovesToEatDined on 8/28/2014I love Italian food and am often disappointed, not this time! I recommended BICE for a friend's birthday celebrate, there were 7 of us. We had an attentive waiter, great wine and everyone ordered something different for their entrée. It ALL was beautiful and very tasty. My pasta was especially fabulous with fresh Mexican shrimp. The dessert they brought my friend was beautiful and so yummy. Thank you BICE for making this night very special for us all and most importantly for my friend :0)Special Features:
- Special Service from PaoloWineSQNDined on 8/25/2014We came late on a Monday night when the Emmy award was on TV. Therefore the restaurant was not crowded at all and we got special service from Paolo. Food was outstanding. My family, mainly vegetarians plus gluten/lactose intolerance were very satisfied and would have loved to ncomer again, but we were just for a couple of days in San Diego.Special Features:
- An excellent rstaurantAA18VIPDined on 8/24/2014Bice is an outstanding restaurant in San Diego, perhaps one of the best in the city. Food is outstanding, so is the service. I would strongly recommend this restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites downtown...GilSDDined on 8/23/2014Has consistently been a great experience... Food is excellent, service was wonderful and the atmosphere has been great.Special Features:
- Bice is Bellisimo!JoBaggaDonutsDined on 8/23/2014We were celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary, and decided to give Bice a try. So glad we did. The food was fabulous, the service outstanding, and the ambiance was perfect! Will definitely be going back for more!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeGreatnessDined on 8/22/2014This place is amazing! My fiancé and I go this Resturant when we are in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentablefanVIPDined on 8/20/2014The venison and parpadelle were amazing. If you are I the mood for crazy, try the tempura marshmallows w/tomato jam, at the bar The service at this restaurant is superb.Special Features:
- Best gluten free dinner & dessert!glutenfreeDivaDined on 8/16/2014It's not easy to eat out for gluten free but this place was amazing!!! It was our anniversary and they gave us a tasty 3 course meal and dessert. Started with a cheese plate, best gluten free pasta, Chilean sea bass, and the best gluten free lava cake with ice cream and berries!! I would recommend to anyone that loves food and especially gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first visit!HankDined on 8/16/2014Food was outstanding and reasonably priced. Good wine selection and nice modern feel to the place. One block off the corner of busy 5th St craziness in Gaslamp which makes it perfectly located.... Not too busy but within walking distance of all the other night life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Molto buonoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Loved the cheese plate with honey and jams. Also loved the truffle oil on the fish. Would like to come back and try more dishes. Great food, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thought we were in ItalyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2014The food here was fabulous and the service was outstanding. The charcuterie selection we left up to the chef with a stronger flavor request. It did not disappoint. The bread is an interesting selection paired with a cream cheese and vinegar/olive oil. I had to stop myself to not fill up on the appetizers and bread combo. The scallops were the best we've had anywhere and the seafood pasta was varied with a very tasty broth. We finished with the pineapple tart and tiramisu. I can't say enough, we will be back very soon. Oh, by the way it's pronounced beachea.Special Features:
- Simply marvellousOttawanianDined on 8/9/2014Saturday night dinner at Bice was perfect. The food was exceptional, beautifully plated and the optimal amount. The service was impeccable and the servers were unobtrusive and served with grace and old world Italian charm. Gracie Bice!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not all bice the sameSuePur911VIPDined on 8/6/2014i ate in bice in nyc- i loved it. I liked this one, too, but I didnt think it was as good as the nyc one. The room is spare, modern, lots of street-level windows for people-watching in the gaslamp district. We had calamari app, very good. decent wine list (limited to italian). The menu is contemporary Italian. Not heavy, and the veggies seemed fresh. Good place.Special Features:
- FoodFood2luvDined on 8/4/2014Portion size is very small! We ordered two snacks and two dishes. The price is too expensive for the food portion/size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I've been to Bice for dinner three times, and it is splendid. This last time, I took my 12-year-old daughter. It couldn't have been better. The staff - as always - was dignified, indulgent and charming. They made my daughter feel totally adored. We preceded the meal at the cheese bar. This is a total treat for me every time I'm here. The staff knows and loves their cheeses. The more questions you ask, the more they enthusiastic they become. The cheeses were sublime! Our main courses were from the "specialties" part of the menu. I had butternut squash raviolis in a sage sauce topped with crumbled bacon. My daughter had gnocchi in a cream sauce with asparagus and tomato. The gnocchi was fantastic. Raviolis a little dry. Dessert was - wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!MrsjerryfaceDined on 8/1/2014Excellent menu and delightful wine list...but wait! There's more! Try the cheeses.Special Features:
- Loved Bice!LoveSanDiegoDined on 7/28/2014We went to Bice for our anniversary, and it did not disappoint. We enjoyed everything- the food, the service, the ambience. The chef came out to check on us, and our waiter was wonderful. We will definitely go again!Special Features:
- Another great meal at BICEOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/24/2014BICE Ristorante is an Italian restaurant in the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego. + Fantastic service from the wait staff, sommelier, and management + Truly inspired Italian dishes including the seafood which is outstanding + Very nice selection of wine and beerSpecial Features:
- Dependably great.spossumVIPDined on 7/24/2014Love coming here. Only authentic high level Italian restaurant in San Diego. Great food and wine list and chefs Mario and Francesca couldn't be nicer. Honored to have James Beards chefs cooking away for us here in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMeg23Dined on 7/20/2014The prosciutto was out of this world! It melted in my mouth. The veal was also very tasty. I would definitely go back for another special occasion.Special Features:
- Best Italian FoocOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2014The food and dining experience at BiCe was wonderful!! Excellent wine choice with fabulous cheese appetizers, and the best made pasta dishes! Melt in your mouth, savory dishes! YUM!!Special Features:
- enjoyable experienceBo1251Dined on 7/6/2014Second time here and made it a point to visit on my trip to San Diego. Affable staff and attentive to detail without being intrusive. Food was well crafted , very flavorful. My wife and I will return next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great meal at BiCEchurchillDined on 7/3/2014BiCE offers some of the best Northern Italian cuisine in San Diego. A particular favorite of mine is the Spinach Gnocci with crab meat sauce, which is tasty & rich but not so filling that you won't have room for dessert. BiCE's location can be challenging for parking so unless you get lucky with a space on the street, you'll probably have to suck it up and valet. If you like a little whiskey after dinner, check out the Palace Bar inside the Horton Grand Hotel directly across the street from BiCE, as it has one of the finest selections of good scotch, Irish whiskey and Kentucky bourbon in SD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.