1009 South 8th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.biboubyob.com/
- Phone: 2159658290
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Pierre Calmels
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Private Party Facilities: Bibou can seat up to 32 guests for private parties. Please call the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Charlotte Calmels 2159658290
- Entertainment: French music!
- Special Events: Please, contact Bibou directly for requests
A word from Bibou
Bibou is a small French Byob located in Bella Vista. Exclusively using fresh products, Chef Pierre Calmels offers dishes such as "Pieds de Porc" (pigs' feet), escargots, as well as many other traditional French dishes.Continued
Bibou is cash only.
Bibou is cash only.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bibou reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)special occasion (73)neighborhood gem (60)romantic (53)hot spot (12)scenic view (3)good for groups (2)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great chef, great valueColmanDined on 8/17/2014Recently brought my girlfriend here for a somewhat special occasion. It was great! The chef put together a wonderful sampler main for my girlfriend who is avoiding certain foods due to health conditions. Also, the chef is a ridiculously nice guy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in philadelphiaVincentDined on 8/9/2014The quality of food is truly outstanding. A must for anybody who appreciates delicate dishes that are not heavy. Portions are just the right size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food31yearshappyDined on 8/6/2014Words fail! The food was that good! We ordered duck livers two ways and two of the fish specials. Everything cooked to tender perfection with sauces that were out of this world. We could taste the sensuous combinations and delicate notes of flavors in every bite. It was our thirty-first anniversary and we couldn't think of better way to enjoy our dinning experience on our special night. We were delighted to meet the Chef as he strolled the premises shaking hands with all his delighted clientele.Special Features:
- ExcellentDined on 8/6/2014I find reasons to travel 60 miles into Philadelphia just to dine at Bibou.Special Features:
- Pure Awesome!!!TrueAccountant01Dined on 8/6/2014If you want terrific food, dont hesitate to go! I have had dinner twice and the restaurante is one of the best places I have ever dined at!!!Special Features:
- Everything was perfectdancing1954Dined on 8/3/2014We took out of town guests to Bibou and had a wonderful dinner. We went on Sunday when the meal is fixed price. The service was friendly, timely and amazingly warm. The waitstaff knew a lot about the food and were able to answer our questions in detail. The food was so good we wanted to lick our plates. The escargots were served in a cute snail shaped dish and were just delicious. The portions were perfectly sized. I had enough of every dish from the cold cauliflower soup to floating island and yet I was not stuffed. The icing on the cake was when the chef came out to talk to us. He told us a lot about the restaurant, its history and how the food was prepared. We left just glowing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/2/2014Bibou continues to please, with subtle flavors and an admirable adherence to classic French cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeChefDined on 8/1/2014The food is always fantastic We have been eating at Bibou since the opening and never had less then a great meal, friendly service and great value for the priceSpecial Features:
- Definitely deserves its reputationwhyworryDined on 7/30/2014As billed: staff very welcoming, warm, solicitous, and striking the exact balance between being too present and too absent; food delicious, innovative, and beautifully presented; ambiance the comfortable conversation of people glad to have finally found an open table at the famous Bibou. En plus, the questions I left on a phone message were fully answered in a timely call from the restaurant; and the chef came out to chat with us as if he had time to do that. A Philadelphia treasure for sure.Special Features:
- The Best Foie Gras in the world!IdaluciaVIPDined on 7/30/2014Begin with a warm and friendly greeting, follow with impeccable service from Jeff, top it off with the best food in Philadelphia prepared by none other than chef Camel himself, and you have a perfect dining experience!Special Features:
- Simply the best!Foodie4everDined on 7/24/2014We've dined at Bibou numerous times and have never been disappointed. The food is consistently excellent and the service is always attentive and it is reasonably priced. It remains one of my all time favorite places for fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best in Philly? probablyDiscerningeaterVIPDined on 7/19/2014Food here is exquisite. Menu the other night was perfectly seared foie gras, escargot in a superb reduction, a duck rillete (kind of a chunky pate) and filet mignon, all just splendid. It's also BYO, so the price for the experience isn't crazy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BiBou always delivers qualityALeatsDined on 7/17/2014BiBou has a varied menu that never disappoints and it is the food that brings us back time and again. The fois gras appetizer done 2 different ways was a table favorite. The pork chop, a special, was another favorite. Standards like the Tuna and Filet never cease to please. The bone marrow we agreed would be a better shared appetizer as it was so rich! The staff is attentive and we had another amazing meal at BiBou.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YcookVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is the place that never disappoints. It is a perfect place for those who appreciate fine dining in a very relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Amazing Again!IdaluciaVIPDined on 7/9/2014If you are a fois gras aficionado then you must try chef Ron's. It is without a doubt the best fois gras I have ever eaten. Let's not omit outstanding soft shell crabs, marrow bone stuffed with chanterelles and herbs and delicious frozen chocolate mousse for desert!Special Features:
- dman278Dined on 7/3/2014I don't know how I've lived without Bibou before this. Creative, ingenious yet classic menu really shows off what Bibou is made of. The Duo de Foie Gras was like nothing I've ever tasted, and the duck breast was perfection. Even the cheese plate (and I NEVER get the cheese plate), with the sweet tomato jam to perfectly balance the incredibly creamy roquefort, was luxury on the tongue. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical BYOBOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014Wonderful Intimate Restaurant in Neighborhood setting. Outstanding food: fresh, plentiful, imaginative, and satisfying.Special Features:
- ALL we had expected!MrPickyVIPDined on 6/27/2014Trying to get in for a long time, tiny place 30+ seats, had a 5 PM res. Only one we could get on short notice. Don't normally eat that early, but was wife's birthday and wanted to surprise her. Worked out great!! Food FAB! She had Special skewered lamb---OK but just a little tough. Everything else super! I had calves liver ( never get it at home.) PERFECT! tender, delicious, no strong liver taste!!great accompanying sauces and mushroom deuxelle. Hans is a great waiter. Also been to Le Cherie and equally good. Will definitely go back. Desserts delicious. Pistachio custard ( not right name) was super---so tired of Creme Brulee---this was more sophisticated and subtle. spent remainder of evening on Moshulu deck with wine til sunsetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as great without PierrelargreenVIPDined on 6/26/2014Ambience, service,selection, food itself, presentation continues to be top notch, Excellent wine service for a BYOBSpecial Features:
- excellent dining experiencerome43Dined on 6/22/2014made more reservations at Bibou - prior to leaving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING FRENCH FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/21/2014The server was a bit off-putting but the food makes up for it. Fois gras is to die for. We got two fish dishes (wreckfish and monk fish cheeks!) and it was the best fish dishes we've had IN. OUR. LIVES. The chef is super nice and comes to greet you at some point in the evening. The pricing is super cheap for the quality of food. Must try!Special Features:
- Exquisite!IS523Dined on 6/20/2014Where to start? Scallop mousse - melt in your mouth.... Wreck fish - like Grouper- but better ,,, and the sauce! Bone marrow - just have to try it to understand! And, my daughter - a vegan - in a French restaurant.... not easy. But the chef himself presented her with a beautiful and tasty array of treats. My anti vegan son had the fillet and was more than happy. We will be back!Special Features:
- Outstanding DinnerKeitherVIPDined on 6/19/2014My wife and I had a fantastic experience here. Food was great, and unique. Understandable why it's hard to get into. They have a small menu though, so just be sure that you're willing to be an adventurous diner.Special Features:
- Delicious!lovetoeatDined on 6/19/2014A friend and I had waited a long time to eat here and I'm glad we kept trying. Our appetizers were fantastic. The one main (fish) was delicious, but I have to say I was a little disappointed in the bone marrow special. Although tasty, there was too much topping, in my opinion, which took away from the actual bone marrow. The service was fantastic & I'm looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite restaurant!IdaluciaVIPDined on 6/18/2014Amazing food and service make Biboubyob our new favorite restaurant in Philadelphia! The terrine of Arctic char with crab and truffles was absolutely to die for. The entres which were uniqely delicious did not disappoint, soft shell crab in a lemon verbena sauce and braised quail. We have made another reservation in July!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaroleB. - Great RestaurantcCaroleBDined on 6/14/2014As always, we love our meal there and the experience is just as good. We go often and have not been disappointed. We celebrate our birthdays there and go many other times throughout the year.Special Features:
- Yet Another Amazing Meal!MoorestownDinerVIPDined on 6/14/2014This time around, my wife and I brought my in-laws to Bibou while they were visiting us from out of state. They are big foodies, so we knew taking them to Bibou would be a hit! The 7 course tasting menu was fantastic throughout - the bone marrow needs to remain on the menu forever, and the foie gras is to die for! The staff was great as always. Always leave there already looking forward to the next meal!Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 6/8/2014Food was excellent have not had a bad meal there yet and the Chef comes out to ask you how your meal was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foursomeDined on 6/8/2014Great soup, delicious foie gras appetizer, and they graciously substituted cheese for dessert to accomodate my diabetic diet. The arctic char entree was, however, overcooked and a bit dry (although it was beautifully plated). My husband enjoyed his escargot and sweet breads. His dessert tarte was thin and dry. When the original owner was the chef, we think the food was slightly better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2014it is the best restaurant in philadelphia. no frills. excellent service with the very delicious food. the most delicious in philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny, but terrific!IdaluciaVIPDined on 6/4/2014Bibou BYOB is reminiscent of a small Parisienne restaurant, except the staff is friendlier and the service is excellent! For our first visit we started our meal with escargot for my husband and the special frog legs for me; both had amazing flavor from a delicate use of herbs and wine in the frogs legs, and the addition if chanterelles and fava beans in the escargot. For dinner I chose the sweet breads which were perfectly prepared Au jus with baby chick peas and baby bok choy along with fava beans and chanterelles. My husband had the rabbit leg atop a bed of house made pappardelle, amazing! For desert we selected the pistachio pot du creme which was delicious! After dinner, I immediately went on Open Table to book another reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KukulkanInnKeeperDined on 6/1/2014First time we dined here it was magical ! Second time was on a Sunday and we were very disappointed. Nothing really stood out in taste except of course the foie gras appetizer. It is not that the food was bad, it was prepared very well, but it just seemed to lack that extra oomph that takes a dinner from unmemorable to unforgettable ! Perhaps it is because Chef Pierre is now up on Rittenhouse Square getting another place started.Special Features:
- Outstanding dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/29/2014Limited menu but changes daily great dishes including veal bone narrow, soft shell crab, and frog legs. One of our best meals in the past two yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experiencehambre2Dined on 5/28/2014Been going there since it opened. Used to be very good, even for special occasions. Was disappointed with the overall experience - stagnant menu, rushed service although the new chef was welcoming and corteous. There are a other better places to spend your money and drink your wine...probably will not return
- judyDined on 5/24/2014We had an early dinner reservation for a friend's birthday, so there was more breathing room in the restaurant.. It was really a very special experience. The food was delicious and the service impeccable.Special Features:
- AmazingDanielVIPDined on 5/23/2014The best classic French in Philadelphia. The best Foie Gras in Philadelphia. Honestly, this place is just plain amazing. There is nothing negative I can say about this place; just be sure to book WAY ahead of time! Bibou has my Fiance and I awestruck. We are now regulars, and will continue to be. Bravo!Special Features:
- Best in PhillyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/22/2014Bibou is our favorite resturant in Philly. Wonderful French inspired food in a great cosy setting. Can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Not GreatnofoofoofoodieDined on 5/18/2014My husband and I enjoyed our Sunday night out at Bibou, even though the food was a bit underwhelming. The service was a bit disjointed and sometimes off-putting. Anyway, back to the food...I was trying not to have too high of expectations, but the food fell short of its reputation. I enjoyed the watercress soup but my husband passed on it. My escargot was good, not great. The duck was good, not great. My whole fish was good, not great. My husband's scallops were a bit undercooked and under seasoned. My floating island dessert was ok, but the worst was my husband's chocolate cake. He finished it because he was still hungry not because it was good.Special Features:
- ExcellentYobacorDined on 5/11/2014Great French Food. Nothing very original, I must say. But the snails, foie gras, duck and filet mignon are excellent, well prepared and truly good raw products are used here. Excellent salter French butter too. Given the 45 USD prix fixe menu on Sunday, and the quality of the food, I find it decently priced.Special Features:
- Why the wait list???????kaykaypeeDined on 5/11/2014I absolutely enjoyed my Mothers Day dinner off the Sunday menu. Our filet was perfectly cooked and melted in your mouth. The food was very good rustic french. However, I have no idea why this place is so hard to get reservations for. While I did enjoy the meal, I would not stalk the reservation system trying to get a table here. There are many excellent BYOB's in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.