1009 South 8th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.biboubyob.com/
- Phone: (215) 965-8290
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Pierre Calmels
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Private Party Facilities: Bibou can seat up to 32 guests for private parties. Please call the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Charlotte Calmels 2159658290
- Entertainment: French music!
- Special Events: Please, contact Bibou directly for requests
A word from Bibou
Bibou is a small French Byob located in Bella Vista. Exclusively using fresh products, Chef Pierre Calmels offers dishes such as "Pieds de Porc" (pigs' feet), escargots, as well as many other traditional French dishes.Continued
Bibou is cash only.
Bibou is cash only.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Bibou reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (95)special occasion (79)neighborhood gem (75)romantic (51)hot spot (9)good for groups (3)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Our favorite restaurant never disappoints!IdaluciaVIPDined on 11/20/2014We were greeted with a warm welcome from Ukee (?) the hostess, after returning from our three week European vacation. Dinner was amazing as usual. Appetizer included Fricassee of Duck Hearts with Chantarelles and Salade de Crabe. Our entrees were the special Venison atop a puree of chestnuts with a cranberry, wine sauce braised brussel sprouts and chantarellles, my husband ordered the Pintade, roasted guinea hen breast, edamame pancake, sunchoke and grilled scallion, natural jus. Both were simply divine. For dessert we had the Grand Marnier Soufle; it was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goin BackFoodierDined on 11/19/2014I love French food. I go to French restaurants all over Philadelphia. Most of the time I enjoy the meal but think to myself, "as good as that was, instead of going back we should try some other place next time." Bibou managed to break through my explorative curiosity. I will continue to try as many different places as possible, but i will also definitively return to Bibou. It was one of those meals to which I will compare all others...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favorite!JoanKDined on 11/16/2014Pierre and Charlotte Calmels original neighborhood gem continues to be a star in the Philadelphia dining scene. The staff and service has no comparison; attentive without being overbearing, knowledgeable without arrogance and with warmth and welcome that is genuine. The food and menu is consistently outstanding. The favorites –foie gras, Pied de Porc (pig feet with lentils), bone marrow and quenelle are interspersed with unique seasonal French dishes so every experience can be new. You will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints except2eatVIPDined on 11/15/2014It's hard to get a reservation. We had the rabbit, lamb, escargot, and crab salad. Every dish prepare to perfection. Bring your favorite French wine and enjoy one of the best meals in Philadelphia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.PhillyKidsPicksDined on 11/6/2014Small but varied menu that allows you to try something a bit out of comfort range....or not if not in the moodSpecial Features:
- Exceptional MealBostonVisitorVIPDined on 11/2/2014My wife and I had the opportunity to enjoy the price fix offering on a Sunday night. The menu was somewhat limited, but each course and dish were prepared beautifully and the food had great flavors.Special Features:
- Magical MealRittenhouse1700Dined on 11/1/2014This was my second time to Bibou and it was just as wonderful as my first dining experience there. The small, intimate atmosphere is lovely - as is the service. The food is out of this world. The portion sizes are exactly right. Bibou is a fantastic restaurant.Special Features:
- WowDCTWMTDined on 11/1/2014This is a small place, although not as small as I feared. In size and space, somewhat similar to Louisa's in Cape May. But the food and service are almost without peer. Authentic French, so take your best wine(s), and make sure they'll pair well with French food. And at the end of the meal the chef comes over, shakes hands, and asks how everything was. Well, there were NO complaints. This is place to return to. I bet they could charge $5 more for every dish, given the quality, service and presentation. But they don't, and while not cheap it's affordable. Don't miss this place whatever you do.Special Features:
- FoodieFoodieDined on 10/31/2014The food was fantastic as usual the appetizers and main course of pig's foot was great.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/24/2014The food was delicious. The waiter was fun and efficient. Great place to go with friends you have not seen in awhile because they do not rush you in and out. A great overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!XTimeTravelerDined on 10/24/2014Our group of four foodies had a delightful evening with tasting menu. Food and service were great which offset the tight quarters and noise level. We will certainly return! Besides all that, the price was reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at BibouMikeDined on 10/24/2014What a delightful evening. We were cheerfully greeted and seated promptly. We had reservations for 6 and finished about 8. The food was delicious and the presentation pleasing to the eye. Sorry I couldn't taste everything on the menu. We had the chanterelles, the foie gras, the tuna, duck breast and cheese plate. All were very tasty. My favorite was the chantrells. They were in a light cream sauce with a few chives. The flavor of the chantrells came through clearly. The cheeses on the cheese plate were all excellent. Since we were there two hours we probably stayed longer than they had planned for turning the table but they were polite and we left because we realized we were holding them up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonably priced French foodBobbDined on 10/22/2014I had a tuna dish that was outstanding preceded by an excellent Champagne soup. I will definitely come back on my next trip to PhiladelphiaSpecial Features:
- SharonVIPDined on 10/19/2014It is always a pleasure to dine at this restaurant. My husband and I are always so happy to come and taste the wonderful, fabulous French cuisine. We have never been disappointed with anything we have had. Don't wait make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as usualDeadaimDined on 10/15/2014Bibou never ceases to amaze me. Top notch dishes and stellar service. Would recommend to anyone looking for the best French food in Philadelphia.Special Features:
- Best of PhillyPhillyratDined on 10/15/20143rd time dining at Bibou. Thought I had the best foie gras in Philly at La Minette. Surpassed by Bibou. Waiter/server spectacular. Chef stopped by table and took to the time to ask/answer a few questions! It was my birthday dinner spot by request!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Philadelphia's FinestcablvrDined on 10/15/2014A diamond amongst gems! If you're lucky to get a reservation, regardless of the time of day, take it. Bibou is our favorite restaurant in PHL for many reasons, but primarily the service and attention to the excellent food, flavor, presentation and quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chef, claustrophobic diningLanghorneLadyDined on 10/11/2014Terrific chef driven menu. Interesting food choices. Very small dining room, very noisy and active. Not a relaxing experience, nor very romantic. Good service with a few flaws, not all appetizers were out together, this was a server error, not kitchen, and our red wine, a very nice bottle, could have been decanted. No one offered us this service. Parking could be a problem. Everything else was terrific, the fois gras was some of the best ever. Serious French food. Not a misstep from the kitchen all night. Byob and cash only so needs must plan ahead. A very memorable meal for all at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014I went here for an early birthday dinner. The food was amazing, although portions were small. The chef even came out to introduce himself and engage in a conversation with each table. Our waiter even gave us a complimentary birthday dessert :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite FrenchDeniVIPDined on 10/5/2014I think what I like most about this place is consistency. Always welcoming. Always great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting new tastesConnieDined on 10/4/2014We felt that the food was remarkable in preparation and tantalizing to the taste buds. A tad noisy, though. I'd certainly go again.Special Features:
- Best French restaurant in PhillyPalmeirasDined on 10/3/2014Awesome food and services. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Not particularly FrenchEaterDined on 10/3/2014French music and a couple of French dishes, but cuisine not really French. Note it is cash only and BYOB; our server seemed surprised we didn't bring wine.
- Top french in PhillyFrankDined on 10/2/2014Excellent french food restaurant, recipes are incredibles food is just perfect. The service is very very friendly. It is a small place only 9 tables, very good for 2 couples going out.Special Features:
- Great food and impeccable serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/1/2014Loved the small size of the restaurant (very cozy). The food was delicious and its presentation appealing. The fact that it is BYOB, made the price quite reasonable.Special Features:
- Filling Foodie FindTwandaVIPDined on 9/28/2014While many upscale restaurants fall victim to the Three Dots on a Plate Syndrome, Bibou offers nice sized portions. And when you book the restaurant's Sunday night prix fixe special, the price is right, too. Bring your own wine. We went bargain hunting at the liquor store and found two amazing bottles that set us back a total of $20. We also sprang for the filet mignon, an upcharge of $5 each. Well worth it. If you like foie gras, this is some of the best. Service is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bibou is SpecialRichardVIPDined on 9/28/2014Attention to detail in every aspect - Food preparation and presentation ; Excellent service - each server takes good care of you ; Ron the chef and Yuki the manager make it all happen, all under the guidance of Pierre and Charlotte (and their three little children) . So many to take care of so few patrons !Special Features:
- Outstanding!ajluvsgoodfoodDined on 9/26/2014We have been looking forward to dining at Bibou for awhile now, so I thought, what could be a better birthday gift to my husband than a weekend in Philadelphia and dinner at Bibou? We were not disappointed-everything was delicious. The offerings are not your typical ingredients, but if you're willing to go out of your comfort zone (not by much), you will be glad you did. We also appreciated the staff's attentive service, and that the Chef came out to personally make sure our meal met our expectations. We will definitely go back again...thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeFoodie1017Dined on 9/26/2014Fabulous food! Probably the best French food in philly. Great device. Staff was super attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bibouapriorDined on 9/21/2014Excellent food and service: presentation and quality are impressiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ever a favoritewantsitallVIPDined on 9/21/2014Delicious meal by a great restaurant. Bought some friends who had never been and they loved it too. Service was impeccable as always.Special Features:
- Like coming home!IdaluciaVIPDined on 9/11/2014There is nothing better than a warm welcome, followed by absolutely delicious food. We Started with their signature snails with chanterelles and baby fava beans and the Tuna tartare, both delicious! For entrees we both had roast suck breast that was succulent.Special Features:
- A little French jewelDKP16VIPDined on 9/10/2014Imaginative, adventurous, delicious French cuisine. Can't think of another BYOB quite like it. Chef came out and asked us what we thought of the dishes, presentation and menu. One of the city's best restaurants.Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014I set my expectations way too high. The food was definitely not bad at all. But every single dish besides the fois (which was out of this world ) was extremely bland. That would be OK if the seafood was so fresh you could still smell the walk water but it was not. The sword fish was cooked incorrectly , dry just bland. And the accompaniments didn't make up for it . Service was top notch , the chef came to say hi. Crowded but intimate . I am not complaining as we had a gift certificate but had it been money out of my own pocket I definitely would have been a way less then happy patron. I would recommend this place but I would not go again.. At least until the GC runs out.. I will probably re-gift it Price was great but Bibou missed the markSpecial Features:
- Worth The WaitislandcrkVIPDined on 9/7/2014We finally made it to Bibou. This South Philadelphia gem is worth the wait to get a reservation. Thank you for a wonderful meal. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for celebrating Mom's 80th!JBoutontownDined on 9/6/2014The food was beautiful to look at and absolutely delicious and unusual. Bibou is the perfect restaurant for an intimate celebration. Staff superb, atmosphere festive and simple. I hope my sisters and I will gather from afar and return to Bibou every year to celebrate our mother, our family, love. Next year, perhaps our brother will join us for this perfect culinary and family holiday. All the stars in the sky! Thank you, Bibou.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- narb4foodDined on 9/5/2014Wonderful appetizer of foie gras prepared two ways..yum! Decent lamb dish. Outstanding cheese plate! Fun, cozy, lively. I would returnSpecial Features:
- Great chef, great valueColmanDined on 8/17/2014Recently brought my girlfriend here for a somewhat special occasion. It was great! The chef put together a wonderful sampler main for my girlfriend who is avoiding certain foods due to health conditions. Also, the chef is a ridiculously nice guy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in philadelphiaVincentDined on 8/9/2014The quality of food is truly outstanding. A must for anybody who appreciates delicate dishes that are not heavy. Portions are just the right size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food31yearshappyDined on 8/6/2014Words fail! The food was that good! We ordered duck livers two ways and two of the fish specials. Everything cooked to tender perfection with sauces that were out of this world. We could taste the sensuous combinations and delicate notes of flavors in every bite. It was our thirty-first anniversary and we couldn't think of better way to enjoy our dinning experience on our special night. We were delighted to meet the Chef as he strolled the premises shaking hands with all his delighted clientele.Special Features: