1009 South 8th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.biboubyob.com/
- Phone: 2159658290
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Pierre Calmels
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Private Party Facilities: Bibou can seat up to 32 guests for private parties. Please call the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Charlotte Calmels 2159658290
- Entertainment: French music!
- Special Events: Please, contact Bibou directly for requests
A word from Bibou
Bibou is a small French Byob located in Bella Vista. Exclusively using fresh products, Chef Pierre Calmels offers dishes such as "Pieds de Porc" (pigs' feet), escargots, as well as many other traditional French dishes.Continued
Bibou is cash only.
Bibou is cash only.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bibou reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (86)special occasion (72)neighborhood gem (61)romantic (46)hot spot (10)good for groups (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Filling Foodie FindTwandaVIPDined on 9/28/2014While many upscale restaurants fall victim to the Three Dots on a Plate Syndrome, Bibou offers nice sized portions. And when you book the restaurant's Sunday night prix fixe special, the price is right, too. Bring your own wine. We went bargain hunting at the liquor store and found two amazing bottles that set us back a total of $20. We also sprang for the filet mignon, an upcharge of $5 each. Well worth it. If you like foie gras, this is some of the best. Service is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!ajluvsgoodfoodDined on 9/26/2014We have been looking forward to dining at Bibou for awhile now, so I thought, what could be a better birthday gift to my husband than a weekend in Philadelphia and dinner at Bibou? We were not disappointed-everything was delicious. The offerings are not your typical ingredients, but if you're willing to go out of your comfort zone (not by much), you will be glad you did. We also appreciated the staff's attentive service, and that the Chef came out to personally make sure our meal met our expectations. We will definitely go back again...thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeFoodie1017Dined on 9/26/2014Fabulous food! Probably the best French food in philly. Great device. Staff was super attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bibouapriorDined on 9/21/2014Excellent food and service: presentation and quality are impressiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ever a favoritewantsitallVIPDined on 9/21/2014Delicious meal by a great restaurant. Bought some friends who had never been and they loved it too. Service was impeccable as always.Special Features:
- Like coming home!IdaluciaVIPDined on 9/11/2014There is nothing better than a warm welcome, followed by absolutely delicious food. We Started with their signature snails with chanterelles and baby fava beans and the Tuna tartare, both delicious! For entrees we both had roast suck breast that was succulent.Special Features:
- A little French jewelDKP16VIPDined on 9/10/2014Imaginative, adventurous, delicious French cuisine. Can't think of another BYOB quite like it. Chef came out and asked us what we thought of the dishes, presentation and menu. One of the city's best restaurants.Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014I set my expectations way too high. The food was definitely not bad at all. But every single dish besides the fois (which was out of this world ) was extremely bland. That would be OK if the seafood was so fresh you could still smell the walk water but it was not. The sword fish was cooked incorrectly , dry just bland. And the accompaniments didn't make up for it . Service was top notch , the chef came to say hi. Crowded but intimate . I am not complaining as we had a gift certificate but had it been money out of my own pocket I definitely would have been a way less then happy patron. I would recommend this place but I would not go again.. At least until the GC runs out.. I will probably re-gift it Price was great but Bibou missed the markSpecial Features:
- Worth The WaitislandcrkVIPDined on 9/7/2014We finally made it to Bibou. This South Philadelphia gem is worth the wait to get a reservation. Thank you for a wonderful meal. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for celebrating Mom's 80th!JBoutontownDined on 9/6/2014The food was beautiful to look at and absolutely delicious and unusual. Bibou is the perfect restaurant for an intimate celebration. Staff superb, atmosphere festive and simple. I hope my sisters and I will gather from afar and return to Bibou every year to celebrate our mother, our family, love. Next year, perhaps our brother will join us for this perfect culinary and family holiday. All the stars in the sky! Thank you, Bibou.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- narb4foodDined on 9/5/2014Wonderful appetizer of foie gras prepared two ways..yum! Decent lamb dish. Outstanding cheese plate! Fun, cozy, lively. I would returnSpecial Features:
- Great chef, great valueColmanDined on 8/17/2014Recently brought my girlfriend here for a somewhat special occasion. It was great! The chef put together a wonderful sampler main for my girlfriend who is avoiding certain foods due to health conditions. Also, the chef is a ridiculously nice guy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in philadelphiaVincentDined on 8/9/2014The quality of food is truly outstanding. A must for anybody who appreciates delicate dishes that are not heavy. Portions are just the right size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food31yearshappyDined on 8/6/2014Words fail! The food was that good! We ordered duck livers two ways and two of the fish specials. Everything cooked to tender perfection with sauces that were out of this world. We could taste the sensuous combinations and delicate notes of flavors in every bite. It was our thirty-first anniversary and we couldn't think of better way to enjoy our dinning experience on our special night. We were delighted to meet the Chef as he strolled the premises shaking hands with all his delighted clientele.Special Features:
- ExcellentDined on 8/6/2014I find reasons to travel 60 miles into Philadelphia just to dine at Bibou.Special Features:
- Pure Awesome!!!TrueAccountant01Dined on 8/6/2014If you want terrific food, dont hesitate to go! I have had dinner twice and the restaurante is one of the best places I have ever dined at!!!Special Features:
- Everything was perfectdancing1954Dined on 8/3/2014We took out of town guests to Bibou and had a wonderful dinner. We went on Sunday when the meal is fixed price. The service was friendly, timely and amazingly warm. The waitstaff knew a lot about the food and were able to answer our questions in detail. The food was so good we wanted to lick our plates. The escargots were served in a cute snail shaped dish and were just delicious. The portions were perfectly sized. I had enough of every dish from the cold cauliflower soup to floating island and yet I was not stuffed. The icing on the cake was when the chef came out to talk to us. He told us a lot about the restaurant, its history and how the food was prepared. We left just glowing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/2/2014Bibou continues to please, with subtle flavors and an admirable adherence to classic French cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeChefDined on 8/1/2014The food is always fantastic We have been eating at Bibou since the opening and never had less then a great meal, friendly service and great value for the priceSpecial Features:
- Definitely deserves its reputationwhyworryDined on 7/30/2014As billed: staff very welcoming, warm, solicitous, and striking the exact balance between being too present and too absent; food delicious, innovative, and beautifully presented; ambiance the comfortable conversation of people glad to have finally found an open table at the famous Bibou. En plus, the questions I left on a phone message were fully answered in a timely call from the restaurant; and the chef came out to chat with us as if he had time to do that. A Philadelphia treasure for sure.Special Features:
- The Best Foie Gras in the world!IdaluciaVIPDined on 7/30/2014Begin with a warm and friendly greeting, follow with impeccable service from Jeff, top it off with the best food in Philadelphia prepared by none other than chef Camel himself, and you have a perfect dining experience!Special Features:
- Simply the best!Foodie4everDined on 7/24/2014We've dined at Bibou numerous times and have never been disappointed. The food is consistently excellent and the service is always attentive and it is reasonably priced. It remains one of my all time favorite places for fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best in Philly? probablyDiscerningeaterVIPDined on 7/19/2014Food here is exquisite. Menu the other night was perfectly seared foie gras, escargot in a superb reduction, a duck rillete (kind of a chunky pate) and filet mignon, all just splendid. It's also BYO, so the price for the experience isn't crazy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BiBou always delivers qualityALeatsDined on 7/17/2014BiBou has a varied menu that never disappoints and it is the food that brings us back time and again. The fois gras appetizer done 2 different ways was a table favorite. The pork chop, a special, was another favorite. Standards like the Tuna and Filet never cease to please. The bone marrow we agreed would be a better shared appetizer as it was so rich! The staff is attentive and we had another amazing meal at BiBou.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YcookVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is the place that never disappoints. It is a perfect place for those who appreciate fine dining in a very relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Amazing Again!IdaluciaVIPDined on 7/9/2014If you are a fois gras aficionado then you must try chef Ron's. It is without a doubt the best fois gras I have ever eaten. Let's not omit outstanding soft shell crabs, marrow bone stuffed with chanterelles and herbs and delicious frozen chocolate mousse for desert!Special Features:
- dman278Dined on 7/3/2014I don't know how I've lived without Bibou before this. Creative, ingenious yet classic menu really shows off what Bibou is made of. The Duo de Foie Gras was like nothing I've ever tasted, and the duck breast was perfection. Even the cheese plate (and I NEVER get the cheese plate), with the sweet tomato jam to perfectly balance the incredibly creamy roquefort, was luxury on the tongue. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical BYOBOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014Wonderful Intimate Restaurant in Neighborhood setting. Outstanding food: fresh, plentiful, imaginative, and satisfying.Special Features:
- ALL we had expected!MrPickyVIPDined on 6/27/2014Trying to get in for a long time, tiny place 30+ seats, had a 5 PM res. Only one we could get on short notice. Don't normally eat that early, but was wife's birthday and wanted to surprise her. Worked out great!! Food FAB! She had Special skewered lamb---OK but just a little tough. Everything else super! I had calves liver ( never get it at home.) PERFECT! tender, delicious, no strong liver taste!!great accompanying sauces and mushroom deuxelle. Hans is a great waiter. Also been to Le Cherie and equally good. Will definitely go back. Desserts delicious. Pistachio custard ( not right name) was super---so tired of Creme Brulee---this was more sophisticated and subtle. spent remainder of evening on Moshulu deck with wine til sunsetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as great without PierrelargreenVIPDined on 6/26/2014Ambience, service,selection, food itself, presentation continues to be top notch, Excellent wine service for a BYOBSpecial Features:
- excellent dining experiencerome43Dined on 6/22/2014made more reservations at Bibou - prior to leaving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING FRENCH FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/21/2014The server was a bit off-putting but the food makes up for it. Fois gras is to die for. We got two fish dishes (wreckfish and monk fish cheeks!) and it was the best fish dishes we've had IN. OUR. LIVES. The chef is super nice and comes to greet you at some point in the evening. The pricing is super cheap for the quality of food. Must try!Special Features:
- Exquisite!IS523Dined on 6/20/2014Where to start? Scallop mousse - melt in your mouth.... Wreck fish - like Grouper- but better ,,, and the sauce! Bone marrow - just have to try it to understand! And, my daughter - a vegan - in a French restaurant.... not easy. But the chef himself presented her with a beautiful and tasty array of treats. My anti vegan son had the fillet and was more than happy. We will be back!Special Features:
- Outstanding DinnerKeitherVIPDined on 6/19/2014My wife and I had a fantastic experience here. Food was great, and unique. Understandable why it's hard to get into. They have a small menu though, so just be sure that you're willing to be an adventurous diner.Special Features:
- Delicious!lovetoeatDined on 6/19/2014A friend and I had waited a long time to eat here and I'm glad we kept trying. Our appetizers were fantastic. The one main (fish) was delicious, but I have to say I was a little disappointed in the bone marrow special. Although tasty, there was too much topping, in my opinion, which took away from the actual bone marrow. The service was fantastic & I'm looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite restaurant!IdaluciaVIPDined on 6/18/2014Amazing food and service make Biboubyob our new favorite restaurant in Philadelphia! The terrine of Arctic char with crab and truffles was absolutely to die for. The entres which were uniqely delicious did not disappoint, soft shell crab in a lemon verbena sauce and braised quail. We have made another reservation in July!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaroleB. - Great RestaurantcCaroleBDined on 6/14/2014As always, we love our meal there and the experience is just as good. We go often and have not been disappointed. We celebrate our birthdays there and go many other times throughout the year.Special Features:
- Yet Another Amazing Meal!MoorestownDinerVIPDined on 6/14/2014This time around, my wife and I brought my in-laws to Bibou while they were visiting us from out of state. They are big foodies, so we knew taking them to Bibou would be a hit! The 7 course tasting menu was fantastic throughout - the bone marrow needs to remain on the menu forever, and the foie gras is to die for! The staff was great as always. Always leave there already looking forward to the next meal!Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 6/8/2014Food was excellent have not had a bad meal there yet and the Chef comes out to ask you how your meal was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foursomeDined on 6/8/2014Great soup, delicious foie gras appetizer, and they graciously substituted cheese for dessert to accomodate my diabetic diet. The arctic char entree was, however, overcooked and a bit dry (although it was beautifully plated). My husband enjoyed his escargot and sweet breads. His dessert tarte was thin and dry. When the original owner was the chef, we think the food was slightly better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.