1009 South 8th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.biboubyob.com/
- Phone: (215) 965-8290
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Pierre Calmels
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Private Party Facilities: Bibou can seat up to 32 guests for private parties. Please call the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Charlotte Calmels 2159658290
- Entertainment: French music!
- Special Events: Please, contact Bibou directly for requests
A word from Bibou
Bibou is a small French Byob located in Bella Vista. Exclusively using fresh products, Chef Pierre Calmels offers dishes such as "Pieds de Porc" (pigs' feet), escargots, as well as many other traditional French dishes.Continued
Bibou is cash only.
Bibou is cash only.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Bibou reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (96)special occasion (80)neighborhood gem (76)romantic (52)hot spot (9)notable wine list (3)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great atmosphererobbiegirlDined on 5/4/2014This restaurant reminded us of some of the small restaurants we have been to in Paris. The staff was very friendly and attentive and the food was fantastic. The presentation of each course was great - like a picture. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth a repeatzeeeVIPDined on 5/1/2014after all the hype, it was very disappointing. my fish had bacon wrapped around it, but the portion was small, which didn't bother me because it was not the freshest (mild taste of vinegar) but the bacon on the inside was practically raw. the service was rushed and NOT gracious. The table was cleared of all plates and silver except for the small plate and silver that my husband was still using.! no one even asked if we wanted more bread.
- Lyon, France in AmericamangiaVIPDined on 5/1/2014Thank God for Bibou after the original LeBec Finn's closing.Special Features:
- JoeJVIPDined on 4/30/2014Wonderful hosts the staff could not be more attentive, food is outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bibou is greatWineweekendDined on 4/26/2014We were very excited to finally get to eat at Bibou. The food, service and ambiance lived up to Bibou's reputation. This is a great philly BYOB.Special Features:
- Wonderful French BYOBsethpeterwDined on 4/23/2014This is the second time I've been to Bibou, the first being just about a year ago. Just like last time, the food, service, everything was fabulous. One of my absolute favorite restaurants in Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb DiningJaniceDined on 4/18/2014Our first time to Bibou and it is a gem. The sea trout was perfectly cooked and my companion's red snapper a delight. So aromatic as soon as the parchment was cut. Atmosphere is bistro-like with small spaces and a comfortable feeling. The sweets offered after dinner were delicious, esp the macaroons! Our entire experience was great. Highly recommend if you are looking for fresh, well-prepared food in an intimate setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!passthebutterVIPDined on 4/13/2014The Sunday $45 four course menu at Bibou is simply ridiculous - it's the best dining bargain in town, by a mile. When I think of all the mediocre restaurants that I could easily spend $45 in for a passable but utterly forgettable meal, I am tempted to resolve never to eat anywhere else on Sunday again. Then again, it needn't be Sunday - on any day it's an almost perfect restaurant for my tastes. No matter how often I go, I fall in love each time. What more can you ask?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated?SteveVIPDined on 4/10/2014Bibou is a hot ticket in town; I reserved a full month in advance for our 6:30 weeknight reservation. Love that it's a BYOB. French. Our table was in the front by the windows and tilted to an extent that our server had to use the windowsill for our wine bottle so it wouldn't tip over. Turned out the diners next to us come EVERY week so they were taken care of. Limited menu. New - filet mignon, replacing the hanger steak that our server said had been on the menu for five years. I ordered it and found it to be tough and gristly, not at all like the buttery filet that I expected. With shared appetizer (not really enough to share - but we were warned), two entrees and two desserts the bill came to over $150 with tax and tip.Special Features:
- Better than ExpectedJohnSaraDined on 4/9/2014Over the years I was always too late making a reservation at Bibou. Finally we planned ahead and went to dinner with great expectations. You kno what usually happens when you have great expectations - disappointment. This gem exceeded our expectations. Superb service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu ever changing whichTroubadour69Dined on 4/3/2014Great menu ever changing which makes it a pleasure to revisit, i am a fervent BYOB seeker since i really enjoy pairing my food with high end wines ...looking forward to new experiences there. The place is tiny so i need to make reservation in advance...kind of a problem for me! spur of the moment king of guy :)Special Features:
- Worth the waitelkinsparkeatersDined on 4/3/2014Small restaurant serving excellent food at reasonable prices and attentive service. Difficult to get a reservation due to small dining room. Reserve a month in advance. Worth the wait if you enjoy authentic French cuisine. BYOB which is another plus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Gastronomic Creations!inkinphillyDined on 4/3/2014Exceptional Gastronomic Creations! One of the Best BYOB's in the citySpecial Features:
- Cozy, Fine DiningBillVIPDined on 4/2/2014A little out of the way for out of towners, but well worth it. Imaginative delicious dishes served with just the right combination of attentiveness & space in a cozy comfortable atmosphere. Pay attention to the specials, they are driven by what's best in the market & given the chefs highest creativity. Perfect scallops with a beet reduction sauce is an example of off the menu special perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BiBou never disappoints!ALeatsDined on 3/27/2014Despite opening another restaurant in the Art Alliance, the owners at BiBou have ensured continued dedication to the food at BiBou. Standards like the Foie Gras appetizer and the Hanger steak never disappoint. Neither did the fish entrees that change depending on availability. Definitely a wonderful experience... no wonder you still need to make your reservation a few weeks in advance.Special Features:
- wish I lived closerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/26/2014Intimate and amazing. Each course was interesting and amazing. If I lived in the neighborhood, I would drop in a couple times a week just in case they had an open table. I will be back within a month. It is that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding interesting French foodScottDined on 3/19/2014Highly recommended for those with a true interest in food. Subtle flavors, French table service, wonderful butter and bread. The beef bone marrow is unique, foie gras dreamy, beef liver like you don't remember from your childhood. The chef made the rounds at the end of the evening and he is charming.Special Features:
- Must TryCeeCeeVIPDined on 3/19/2014Food was exquisitely prepared and beautifully presented. Highly recommend for fine French fare. Chef going to each table was a nice, warm touch. Pricey for a BYOB but worth it. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed !OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/13/2014They obviously love their customers... Chef came to introduce himself and see how we enjoyed our meal personally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LIttle gem with wonderful foodPhillyAmyDined on 3/12/2014Although the menu is rather small, the food is excellent - beautifully presented, innovative flavors. BYOB is a nice feature, since it can be expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Friendly ServiceGoatDined on 3/9/2014We read on line that the food was very good and the service was not so friendly. The food was truly excellent, and all of the staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The chef came out to each table and we talked for a minute - a great touch. You could tell that with the food, they paid attention to every ingredient and detail. The flavors blended perfectly. I have traveled to France over 30 times and eaten at some very good restaurants. I would take Bibou's over any of the dining experiences there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High qualityIllbebackDined on 3/9/2014I took my girlfriend here for her birthday, and chose a night with a tasting menu (Sunday). I chose to go on that night because I felt that the choices would be narrowed down to the best ones available (I might be wrong about that). Our waiter was very knowledgeable about everything on the menu, he had a virtual story for every item and painted a great picture for what was to come. He answered all of our questions about the food and everything else with a genuine smile, top notch service. The food was something like a picture out of a magazine, and tasted as good if not better than it looked. After and amazing 4 course meal, the chef came out into the dining room and introduced himself to us, and everyone else in the room. BYOB 10/10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved the style of the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014I loved the style of the restaurant -- it is small, friendly and feels like a French country inn. The food was good but we were expecting amazing food and were disappointed, especially in the two fish entrees we tried. The dessert, a frozen walnut souffle, however, was great!Special Features:
- PerfectionBrunhildeVIPDined on 3/6/2014The very gifted and very hard working Chef Ron is amazing as must be his supporting kitchen staff. We don't know how he continually turns out perfectly cooked, delicious food. His mix of subtle textures and use of seasonings (both traditional and more exotic) reveal , rather than conceal, the quality and wonderful tastes of the primary ingredients.This is true regardless of whether the primary ingredient is a meat, game or seafood.. His accompaniments are prepared with care and with an obvious understanding of the relationship of each item in the plate to every other item in the plate. (Frequently overlooked elsewhere.) Each plate is a treat to the eye as well as to the palate.Just beautiful. Chief Pierre's kitchen is in good hands.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foie-gras and dessertYiannisDined on 3/2/2014We went for dinner on a Sunday night. Knowing the place from several friends,he had mixed feelings about going there. The bread was good and it came with top quality butter. The fixed menu was kind of limited especially for someone who is rather difficult (snail, foie gras or shrimp). The artichoke soup was above average, the foie gras was simply perfect (excluding the excessive sweetness of the bread bed) and the main courses were pretty good but nothing exciting. The cheese platter was brief but well-selected, and the dessert was another big surprise. The limoncello sorbet was OK, while the almond souffle was heaven in our mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honestly, I was disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/2/2014Honestly, I was disappointed. It was Sunday night, so they had a limited menu, but the fish dish (grouper) was only mediocre, and the duck was actually dry and tasteless. Appetizers were very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- highly recommendedfoie2GrasDined on 2/19/2014All dishes were outstanding...of course we completely enjoyed the foie gras matched with mango as our appetizer. The duck and beef entrees were amazing. We will be back! Plus the chef comes out to every table after the meal...that is a homerun in my book and we love the BYO Wine policySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!EatTooMuchDined on 2/9/2014Dined here with a friend on a Sunday after getting a reservation at a decent eating hour. Great little spot, but very limited seating. This isn't a negative by any means- really give the restaurant a great little bistro feel. The food was excellent and we opted for the Prix Fixe menu to be able to sample a wide range of plates. We were more than happy with the selections, timing of the courses and the staff's selections. My only negative is we were a bit too full to fully enjoy dessert! The chef came out to say hello and inquire about our experience and the team works well together to make sure your needs are met. A great little place and will absolutely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentJaviDined on 2/2/2014Great service and food. Loved the foie gras and the foie gras mousse. The boar pie was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ExperienceEvanstadVIPDined on 2/2/2014Wonderful Philly BYOB restaurant with well-prepared French food and excellent service. Great flavors and presentation. The Sunday 3-course Prix Fixe was a total bargain. Our server was very warm and helped us greatly in choosing our courses. The other staff members also were great and attentive. We had a nice chat with the chef de cuisine Ronald Fougeray about the restaurant, the staff and his cooking. A lovely birthday experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BETTER THAN EVERBrunhildeVIPDined on 1/30/2014Perfect food with perfect service. What more can one say?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quality foodDonEscobarDined on 1/30/2014It doesn't take a foodie to appreciate the care and detail that were put into every dish we ate. The great reviews you'll read are absolutely warranted and well deserved. We are lucky to have Bibou in Philadelphia! You must give it a try, if you haven't yet. You will not be disappointed. With that out of the way, here's what needs significant improvement. The senior waiter coordinating the rest of the wait staff was off-putting. He acted like he was obliged to bring in that air of snobbery that we unfortunately stereotype the French with. This was so out of place for a rather cozy and intimate restaurant where the Chef came out to say hello to each table. Sadly the rest of the otherwise friendly staff seemed to take his cue. What a shame!Special Features:
- Intimate and imaginativelocallocavoresDined on 1/29/2014Bibou is small and intimate. Its imaginative menu and delectable food, a highlight of which was a whole boned bronzino stuffed with delicately flavored mousse, delighted both our palates and eyes. Staff made diners feel like family, and during a lull the chef visited tables to chat. We'll return as soon as we can get a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014This is always a wonderful experience with top notch food and excellent service. Thank-you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!pickydinerVIPDined on 1/22/2014Visiting one night in Philly and had read reviews on this restaurant. They met and exceeded our expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine but not as good as last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2014I booked a late night dinner at Bibou well in advance--disappointed with most of the food because we'd highly anticipated our meal so much after our first amazing experience there. Meal was "fine" but not special or memorable as the first time. Seared foie gras appetizer was excellent (highlight of the meal) but snapper (in parchment) was lackluster with an odd milky orange-colored sauce on the side. Duck in philo tasted a lot like Thanksgiving turkey dinner. Even the chocolate dessert didn't stand out-- good but not impressive or memorable. Food tasted good enough but was nothing to rave about. Seems like the balance of flavor and interesting, successful pairings that made Bibou so amazing our first time just weren't there this time.
- Among the bestMarcHVIPDined on 1/18/2014One of the most outstanding resturants in a very hot foodie scene in Philly. Everything was outstanding from the food to the service. Loved that the chef came out and chatted with us. Expense kept down because it was a BYOB Very difficult getting a reservation but worth the wait to get one Will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bibou BYOB...fabulousmolehill1Dined on 1/4/2014Never had a disappointing meal here. On this visit we had the famed escargots as well as several of the specials: truffle risotto, bone marrow, and the wild boar. Every dish was beautifully prepared and absolutely delicious! Can't recommend this gem of a restaurant highly enough. It is a must dine!Special Features:
- Not that specialOverratedDined on 12/20/2013OK food but definitely not worth all the hype. Overly cloying sauces that overwhelm a lot of stuff (including the escargots and the venison). Certainly not as good as a couple of other French places in town (Cochon or La Minette).
- excellent!!lauren11VIPDined on 12/20/2013I've heard rave reviews about this restaurant for years, but I was apprehensive because it was French and nothing on the menu jumped out at me. O M G. If you like good food, just make a reservation & go...incredible!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.