Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe
23 Forest Ave.
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bibosportland.com/
- Phone: 2077749698
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: William Boutwell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can be booked for private parties of 30 or more. We have hosted many rehearsal, graduation, birthday, and retirement parties. Our private menues are created specially for each event.
- Private Party Contact: William Boutwell 2077749698
- Special Events: BiBo's features special wine dinners on a rotating basis. You can find out more by going to www.bibosportland.com. We would also be honored to host your special events.
- Cross Street: between Congress St. and Cumberland Ave.
- Public Transit: The Portland metro bus system has a stop directly across the street from us.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is usually quite a bit of on street parking available and there is a public parking garage just across the street at the Eastland Park Hotel.
A word from Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe
Bibo’s Madd Apple Cafe is a 38 seat independently owned and operated cafe. At BiBo's we stride to provide locally sourced ingredients at an affordable price. We serve lunch, brunch and dinner with our menus changing frequently to highlight ingredients and dishes that are in season. BiBo's provides a comfortable eclectic ambience showcasing art from local artists. We offer an extensive affordable wine list with many specials featured each day. At BiBo's we believe that buying local saves neighborhoods. This is why we deal with local farmers, artisanal cheese makers, and small local suppliers. We have been featured in Down East magazine as a great date restaurant because of the quiet atmosphere. We also feature monthly creative wine dinners and are now offering nightly mini wine dinners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (11)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (4)special occasion (3)good for groups (2)romantic (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great RestaurantVickiDined on 10/18/2014We had a wonderful dinner, good food, wine and beer. Our waitress was great.Special Features:
- Well Worth A VisitrfmillerDined on 10/18/2014Imaginative menu - excellent presentation - worth a trip - would recommend on off hours for a quiet, relaxing evening.Special Features:
- Great foodMichellepDined on 10/17/2014Great menu, something for everyone. Freshly cooked. Very nice staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodmaineladyDined on 10/3/2014Food was fresh, innovative combinations without being weird, healthy, ample portions, relaxed, low key casual atmosphere, attentive service. My husband is a celiac and he ate here with no problems.Special Features:
- Not EnjoyableSpiritDined on 10/3/2014Unfortunately, our experience this time was less than enjoyable. One of the dinners (for our Seattle WA guest) was lukewarm and there was no offer to correct it. We had to wait for our by server several times and even at the end of our meal, he forgot to return our check with the credit card.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/2/2014Interesting food choices. Excellent service. Great before play dinner.Special Features:
- So flavorful!nklwVIPDined on 8/23/2014We went to Bibo's based on reviewers rx. We were delighted with our meals. Everything has an abundance of flavor. The satanic deviled eggs and the delicious bread to start our meal set us on a good course. 3 different dinners ordered, all so tasty. We ended with a wonderful chocolate pot o creme. We look forward to returning the next time we are in Portland.
- Comfortable, casual and creativecgeorge8Dined on 8/3/2014Walked in for our brunch reservation on sunday morning and were seated right away. The place has an electric charm that is warm and inviting. Our server was wonderful - just the right amount of personality and attention. All the food was tasty and creative - especially the brunch burrito. The portions were hardy - we even took some home. I would definitely go back - it especially nice that they take reservations no waiting!Special Features:
- Great findRW1011VIPDined on 7/25/2014We passing through Portland on our way further North. Found this place by chance in open table. The food was delicious and actually quite sophisticated. For eg. on the menu, the Chicken under a brick was listed with a tomato basil sauce. Doesn't sound very appetizing, but turned out to be a delicious emulsion. The pea purée with my salmon was very fresh and full of flavor. The wines by the glass were excellent. The food was easily as good as places much more expensive. I am from NYC, so pretty picky and used to lots of good food options. I wish Bibo's was in my neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Fast Service and food deliverycooksalotDined on 7/20/20143 old friends had wonderful Sunday Brunch. Food arrived quickly and accurately. Server came by to refill coffee without asking and bill arrived promptly. Large portions. Affordable. My only complaint was the Salmon eggs Benedict were too salty. Probably combination of salmon and sauce. Everyone else loved their choices.Special Features:
- The following 202 reviews are from the Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe reviews archive.
- Quiet night- more for us!HungryMumDined on 5/31/2014Ate dinner at BiBo's on 5/31. Our reservation wasn't necessary, as it was a very quiet night. Hoping the high tourist season will remedy that, as the food is wonderful, although they are a bit off the beaten path for tourists, generally. Anyhow, our server was lovely and extremely accommodating and the food was AMAZING. We started with the satanic eggs that lived up to their delicious name (stuffing of bacon, avocado and horseradish) and chickpea fritters that arrived steaming and crispy. Bill's bread is amazing and I wish I could eat a LOT more of it. Strawberry goat cheese salad got the thumbs up and our mains of the Haddock (with the freshest corn possible this time of year) and Shrimp (new item) were truly well worth the trek! Go now!Special Features:
- Wonderful placeCalibaliDined on 5/11/2014It was Mother's Day, it was busy, but we had great service and never felt rushed. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Creative Food, Comfortable SpacevisitorDined on 5/11/2014Six of us went for Mother's Day brunch. Ages 16-55 -- we all enjoyed it! Creative, fun delicious food; attentive wait staff; Eclectic, quirky space. Glad we thought of it. Had not been there for years and will definitely put it on the list of places to go for dinner soon. Price point is very reasonable. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute restuarantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Seafood was very tasty. I was a little disappointed that a nice local restuarant did not offer any of the many local micro brews on the standard drink menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice surprise.labajaDined on 5/10/2014We hadn't eaten at the Madd Apple Cafe in many, many years...perhaps over 25! Our most recent visit proved to be a nice surprise. I cannot speak to the wine list since none of us (we were a party of 4) were drinking that night, but they did have a nice quality non-alcoholic beer that 2 people tried. The tempurah shrimp appetizer was tasty and light. The accompanying avocado and tomato salad was perfect. The house salad was not terribly exciting...the champagne vinaigrette did not have much flavor. The salmon was cooked to perfection with a lovely jasmine rice and lemon beurre blanc sauce. The roasted butternut squash ravioli was delicious with a nice spicy finish. Dessert was a chocolate pot de creme that was eaten and enjoyed!Special Features:
- Unique food choicesArtloverDined on 5/4/2014I have been eaten here for lunch and dinner but this was my first brunch- the meal choices were fantastic and reasonably priced- service was very friendly and efficient. I had a difficult time choosing what to eat because they menu was so interesting. The food was well prepared and both my friend and I enjoyed every bite! There was also a lovely selection of beverages.Special Features:
- Portland StapleHerbVIPDined on 4/25/2014It was a quiet Friday evening-there were few other diners, but the food and service were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bibo's Madd AppleAnnieDined on 4/20/2014My husband and I first dropped in here for lunch after a downtown event. It was terrific, and we've been back several times since, most recently for Easter brunch. We've never been disappointed - not too crowded, not too noisy, and very friendly, cheerful place. And reasonably priced as well!Special Features:
- Excellent spot for dinnervahevalaDined on 4/11/2014Excellent spot for dinner before going to Portland Stage. Nice atmosphere, attentive wait staff. Food was good, just not outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Theater DiningayuhDined on 4/5/2014Nice table by window. Attentive server. Limited changing menu--can view it online. Pork Loin Medallion was a bit tough and over cooked. House salad with creamy light goat cheese and apple. Warm bread was a great starter. Only one entree was vegetarian, but it was a flavorful squash ravioli. The coconut custard dessert was heaven. Meal was well paced and never felt rushed. Very convenient for nearby theater goers. Public garage across street if on street parking unavailable. Overall, a very good meal,great server, with attention to food and presentation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LinnieDined on 3/28/2014Started off with a wonderful freshly baked bread and dukka. I never had dukka but I'm always up for something new. It was so fresh and tasty I'm sorry I didn't get a jar to go. Good reason to go back :) The crab and lobster cake appetizer was a good size (for two) unlike some other quality restaurants I've been to. They were nice and crispy on the outside and perfectly moist on the inside with lots of meat. The chicken dish I had was amazing! I'm not a big chicken leg kinda gal but this one melted off the bone and tasted fantastic. The coconut custard didn't disappoint either as it was served with a healthy dollop of whipped cream, a tasty chocolate sauce topped with toasted coconut. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect before a Play!!BarbolinaDined on 3/13/2014The food was well prepared and timely, with a great wine list. Location is perfect for before a performance at Portland Stage! Our waitperson was sure to make sure we were perfectly timed for our play. Recommend highly / would return.Special Features:
- A friendly gemBettyDined on 3/6/2014Bibo's Madd Cafe serves locally grown food wherever possible. It is delicious and beautifully presented, we started going there because if its convenient location: next door to Portkand Stage. But it is a delightful restaurant in its own right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GATHERING OF OLD FRIENDSJudyDined on 3/2/2014We wre a group of old friends and wanted to find a place to visit and have a nice brunch. Madd Apple didn't disapoint. The Bloddy Marys were delicious, glass rimmed in celery salt, spicy enough and generous at a bargain $4.95. Five of us devoured a plate apple fritters, it was the perfect plate to share. All of us ordered a dish that included poached eggs. A good poached egg is hard to find and one of my favorite breakfast toppings for Hash or the HOMEMADE English Muffin Benedict choice (there were several). These were just about perfect ( and they had to cook 10 of them at once! ) Service was helpful but not hovering and we never felt the rushed,which can happen at the breakfast table. We all agreed that we would not hesitate to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerPartnerDined on 2/27/2014Loved the service and the food. I recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day 2014RonBDined on 2/14/2014First time at Bibo's for dinner. Then menu was limited but has great variety and a vegetarian selection. The food was absolutely delicious. This is a definite recommendation for anyone who enjoys deliciously prepared food. We split the seafood cakes. That was a big mistake, lol, because they we the most scrumptious we've ever had. I would have loved to have both of them :). One main selection we had was a salmon dish , the other dish was half chicken pressed under a brick. The atmosphere is interesting. The place is rather bright and could stand some dimmer switches for better mood lighting. This is not a linen table cloth type of place so make your reservation, sit and relax and enjoy one of the best meals you will have in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect to pair with theatergpmusicDined on 2/14/2014Fresh and delicious food, casual & warm atmosphere found at Bibo's. You can't be the location if you are going out for a night of theater at Portland Stage. We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was ok...menu was interesting.geoacerDined on 2/14/2014Food was ok...menu was interesting...probably would not go back.Special Features:
- Delicious food, loved theBaygulDined on 2/14/2014Delicious food, loved the dedicated coat hooks for each tableSpecial Features:
- DisappointingDianeDined on 2/1/2014Steak ravioli was watery. Water seeped into the mashed potatoes, making them soupy. Vegetable with ravioli was so touch as to be inedible. Beet citrus salad has no discernible citrus. Apple crisp was not crisp. Very mediocre.Special Features:
- Before the showOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/29/2014Close to the theater and within walking distance of Merrill Auditoreum, Bibos serves up an interesting changing menu along with a good selection of wines and beer. We started by sharing the lobster and crab cakes which were delicious. For a main course the shrp and scallop vol au vent had a nice crispy pastry along with tasty sauce and sautéed spinach. The portion was just right. I dislike pretentious efforts to have the portion really small and a huge mound turns me off . The creme brulee could however have been improved. It was little lumpy. Service is pleasant and low key. We like to sit near the window and in the summer this is great but it's a little cool in the winter. This is a place where you get good value for your money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really notableLovethePWMDined on 12/31/2013After finding myself in Portland over NYE, I made a last minute reservation (12/29/13) at one of the only restaurants showing availability at Open Table. It was a prix fixe menu, priced at around 50 dollars each. The food was passable, nothing stood out as remarkable. The lobster ravioli I ordered was watery, bland and essentially without taste. Wine and beer are available at prices comparable to other higher end restaurants in the area. Server was very polite and attentive. I would probably not return here anytime soon, however, perhaps their regular menu is better.
- The food was excellent, withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/18/2013The food was excellent, with ample portion size. The service was attentive without being intrusive. We were see a show next door at the Portland Stage after dinner and the server made sure our food was delivered promptly to our table so that we didn't feel rushed to make the play. In addition, our server was knowledgeable about the shows at Portland stage and gave us tips on where to sit since it was a general admissions show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater-friendly!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/12/2013We loved it. It's my go-to whenI'm going to the theater, they are very helpful at getting you out the door without feeling rushed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsPJK138Dined on 11/23/2013We have been fans of Bibo's for many years and our last visit was as delightful as all the others have been. The menu is always creative, the food fresh and local (including the beer selections) and we always leave wondering why we would ever go anywhere else. If you are in the Portland area and have had the pleasure of dining at Bibo's, do yourself a favor and check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, close to theatermaryhDined on 11/2/2013Right next door to the Portland Stage, Bibo's is a great place to go after a matinee or before an evening show. The food and wine are excellent and are served in a European-style neighborhood restaurant atmosphere. The wait staff seems to have been there for a long time and are very professional, contributing to the European feel. They serve a variety of food, and I've never been disappointed. For dinner last Saturday my husband had fried chicken with mashed potatoes and a yummy gravy, while I had an Asian-flavor sesame coated scallop dinner with rice and zucchini "noodles" that were to die for. The tastes were subtle and went very well together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointmentavoidthechainsDined on 10/18/2013Bibo's has never let me down. It convenient location next to Portland Stage makes it the perfect pre-show dinner spot. Food is always fabulous and they have a good selection of wines as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient for Portland Stage.elizabethVIPDined on 10/6/2013Very convenient to the theater. Have been there many times. This time neither the food nor service was as good as in the past.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunch!MrsBachDined on 9/29/2013Only open for brunch once a week (Sunday mornings) but it was AMAZING!!! Homemade fresh apple cinnamon rolls to start out were melt in your mouth ooey gooey! Followed by a lobster crab cake benedict that was delicate with a perfect blend of flavors, perfectly poached eggs and the best hash I've ever had! Washed it all down with a lovely mimosa. What an amazing brunch! Probably our favorite bites in Portland! We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They are very good at accommodatingJTetalDined on 9/27/2013They are very good at accommodating the "play-goers". Portland Stage is next door, and this is a very convenient place to meet friends before the play.Special Features: