1100 New York Avenue, NW (Corner of 12th and H St)
The corner of H St. and 12th
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bibianadc.com/
- Phone: 2022169550
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; All Day Menu: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Late Night Menu: Friday & Saturday: 11:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Nicholas Steffanelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
Nick Stefanelli’s regional Italian fare features a variety of well executed small plates, antipasti and standouts including his whole roasted fish.
His cuisine helped earn Bibiana a glowing review and two-and-a-half stars from food critic Tom Sietsema of The Washington Post, and four stars from DC Modern Luxury critics. It also secured a place on Washingtonian’s list of the top one hundred restaurants in the nation’s capital. In June 2010 Bibiana was a finalist for “Best New Restaurant” and Nick Stefanelli won the “Rising Star Chef” from The Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington. In October 2010, Stefanelli was also announced as the winner of StarChefs.com “Rising Star” award and Bibiana was named to Esquire’s exclusive list of 20 “Best New Restaurants 2010.”
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
- I always get the chickenBethVIPDined on 9/15/2014It is grilled with garlic and olive oil and a cauliflower puree. It is my signature dish. But the fish and pasta are excellent too (I've been told).Special Features:
- Bibiana always a great choiceHighexpectationsDined on 9/15/2014Decided at the last minute to have lunch here with a friend - I love this restaurant and my friend had never been here. As always - a perfect meal. I've NEVER been disappointed. Tried the pizza this time (a first for me) and it was delicious as was the arugula salad. Wonderful service; low-to-moderate noise level - very easy to have private conversation here.Special Features:
- The Renewal of BibianaCarolVIPDined on 9/13/2014We hadn't returned to Bibiana for several years, given our last meal there had been so disappointing. Two evenings ago, we went back and found the food and service to be exceptional! Our insalada di pesche was intriguing, thoughtfully prepared and delicious to eat. A filet of orata was well proportioned and delectable. It came with a melange of cherry tomatoes that had been sauted with onion and a bed of yucca. Service was prompt and friendly without making us feel rushed. Bibiana is back on our list of restaurants to go to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Italian EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014We very much enjoyed our dining experience, particularly the attentions of the sommelier.Special Features:
- Kitchen too slow for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014I went here with 3 colleagues for lunch while meeting in D.C. The place wasn't very busy yet it took close to an hour from the time we sat down for our food to come out, and we were being time conscious, gave the server a heads up and placed our orders right away. We had to scare down our lunches just to rush back to our meeting. I would avoid this as a lunch option if you are on any kind of schedule.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/9/2014Good, interesting food, well-presented. Friendly staff; kitchen sometimes unpredictably slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodVIPDined on 9/8/2014Good food and good service. Portions are rather small so you should not expect to be able to share with others at your table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meal - don't skip dessertRicinVaDined on 9/6/2014Food was tremendous but the desserts were some of the best I have had in DCSpecial Features:
- rainy night havenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive. Pasta with eggplant and black pasta were delicious. Hostess offered to check jackets; plastic rain umbrella sleeves available without asking; smiling, helpful staff. OpenTable reservations easy and effective. menu online and accurate.Special Features:
- solid but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/4/2014Food and service was terrific but $27 for a lunch salad is ridiculous. I should have asked the price of the salad first but expected it to be significantly less.Special Features:
- great mealRegulardinerVIPDined on 9/3/2014I come here often, and this time brought clients from the Midwest. They really enjoyed the meal though they found the menu a bit overwhelming. The food was outstanding as usual, and service superb. The place was very quiet - - not a busy week in DC.Special Features:
- Awesome Food and serviceBirthdayPartyDined on 9/2/2014This was not my first time dinning at Bibiana. The food continues to excell in taste, presentation and innovation. The front of the house staff were friendly and helpful, the heart of the house lead by chef Nick produce absolutly delicious food. Thanks for another great evening. My guests and I were thrilled with our mid week experience at Bibiana.Special Features:
- Scrumptous food and wineJsmmrs79Dined on 8/30/2014Amazing Italian! Delicious black truffle Rizzuto that paired well with the house Cabernet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jose Manuel MagallanesJMfromPeruDined on 8/28/2014Great place to dine!... kind people and excellent menu (specially desserts!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opentable35Dined on 8/28/2014We were really excited about Bibiana, but the food was forgettable at best and overly salty or garlicky at worst. I called the next day to inform the manger that we were disappointed in our meal and her response was basically that we should have said something at the time, but we were there for a special occassion and didn't want to make a fuss, especially since we weren't picking up the tab. I selected Bibiana after reading great reviews and now know that this restaurant is totally missable.
- Second Time and Not DisappointedCidaliseDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I ate here a number of years ago when we were visiting DC and I decided to return. We were not disappointed. The food was delicious, the service commendable and the atmosphere delightful. My friend had the cod and raved. I had a surf/turf special that was very good and the gnocchi was amazing. My only "complaint" is that the choice of meat dishes is somewhat limited. Would have loved some kind of veal....Special Features:
- Italian Primo MordenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Excellent choice and expect absolutely fantastic modern style. Must rivioli, Fresh Fish, tomato saladSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014I went for restaurant week and with the exception of the dessert, which was fantastic, the food was underwhelming. The staff were very helpful and friendly however.
- mms37Dined on 8/20/2014This was a disappointing experience. Perhaps the chef was having an "off his game" day. It has been better on other occasions in the past.
- WonderfulTheNiteTripDined on 8/16/2014Went during restaurant week at 800p. Nice ambiance - dim lighting with candles. Food was excellent. 4 course option. Best fish I've been served in a restaurant. Pasta was great. Service was excellent. Recommendations were thoughtful and thorough. Drinks were excellent. Very attentive staff that made our celebratory dinner very special. We splurged for a special occasion and this was the place to do it.Special Features:
- Felt rushedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/15/2014We dined here for restaurant week and felt somewhat rushed in our dinner. The food was delicious and would certainly recommend it. We were only given the special restaurant week menu however which was a mistake on the restaurant's part as we may have ordered something additional off the regular menu.Special Features:
- Friendly ManagerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014We happen to be there during restaurant week in DC. The manager made sure that with every step of our dining...things went great, checked on our apps, our entrée and deserts. Very caring person and knew his job very well. We will be back.Special Features:
- Taste of TuscanyJCpartyDined on 8/15/2014We enjoyed a birthday celebration during Restaurant Week. Our guests raved about the Polpetta and Calamari appetizers followed by the slow roasted pork and baked eggplant entrees. I enjoyed the seared skate which was delicate and nicely balanced by the caponata, very fresh. There is a nicely selection of wine. Finally, the wait staff was attentive and knowledgable in helping us sort out the menu options. We had a lovely evening and would definitely return again.Special Features:
- Excellent lunch: value and qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/15/2014I had a 3-course lunch here for the first time last week and thought it was excellent. Definitely one of the best business lunches I've had in DC in the past two years. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- letsdineoutDined on 8/15/2014Beautiful contemporary setting, option to dine in or out, attentive wait staff, delicious grilled vegetables and meatball appetizers, our grilled sausage entree was a bit too salty; you might want to select something else as there are many options; would have liked a second yummy profiterole for dessert. This was a very pleasant dining experience and we look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Love Ambience not so much the FoodDeniseDined on 8/14/2014I attended Bibiana's during restaurant week for dinner as I received a recommendation, however I was disappointed in the appetizer and entrée portion of my 3 course meal. The bread and dessert were great, but I wish I enjoyed my appetizer and entrée more. I had the Calamari for my appetizer and the Cod entrée. I did however eat what I could from the appetizer and entrée as I selected each dish. Unfortunately the dishes were not palatable for me, however someone else may have a different opinion. For the Entrée it was more of the garnishes and sides that were not the best. The Cod fish itself was actually good.Special Features:
- Outstanding LunchddeedsDined on 8/13/2014Went here for lunch during Restaurant Week. Seated outside immediately. Wait staff and management were very attentive and knowledgeable of the menu. The food is simple, amazing, and flavorful. It got better as each course progressed. I will definitely come back for both the food and the service.Special Features:
- quick business lunchquicklunchDined on 8/13/2014We arrived for our lunch reservation and were seated immediately. Because we were on a tight time schedule we needed to be served quickly. Food was great as was the service. We were never rushed, but had a great business lunch in the limited time we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed with Restaurant WeekfoodieDined on 8/12/2014The Restaurant Week dinner menu was disappointing. I would suggest Bibiana not to participate, since it obviously has put almost no thought or heart into it. Calamari appetizer was good enough, but the roasted eggplant dish was a slap-dash affair. Pistachio cake was dry, even with cloyingly sweet ice cream on top, so I could only have one bite and no more. I was embarrassed to have recommended Bibiana to friends, and to talk up the restaurant.Special Features:
- Floor ManagerWommieDined on 8/12/2014Food was excellent. Pork shoulder did not require a knife. Peach desert heavenly. Tomatoes, yes tomatoes were incredibly fresh and juicy variety. Serving staff was great. But that floor manager as so on point! No details of the dining experience was overlooked. What more can you wish from any restaurant. One of the best!Special Features:
- Buon AppetitoTuckinalexDined on 8/12/2014The food was superb and although it as Restaurant Week, we were not treated as second class citizens as some restaurants do during Restaurant Week. We had a wonderfully knowledgeable server who was friendly and attentive without overdoing it. 3-courses for $20.14. Starters: a Caprese salad, very fresh burrata, basil, ripe tomatoes, as it should be; the other was a grilled Antipasta Misto. I had Parmesan Risotto which was perfectly cooked. My guest had the best dish....grilled calamari stuffed with potatoes and served with squid ink and balsamic reduction. To die for. Dessert was a Cioccolato cake and a peach dish.Special Features:
- Another Home Run!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2014Have been to Bibiana several times now and Bibiana never ceases to deliver consistently wonderful food. Since soft shell crabs are in season now, they have been on the regular menu and Bibiana's soft shells are the best I've had anywhere--very nicely seasoned, crisp, and accompanied by roasted artichokes and asparagus! The lobster risotto was also fabulous--the al dente risotto was beautifully topped with the whole lobster meat out of the shell. Then came a special dessert--thinly sliced pickled green tomatoes and chopped cherry tomatoes with a blackberry sorbet and fresh blueberries. It sounds weird, but it was fantastic! I would rate Bibiana one of the top restaurants in DC for both creativity and consistent quality of the dishes.Special Features:
- LaurelCanyon2Dined on 8/4/2014The appetizers were okay, but both of our main courses had to be sent back. My pasta was a gelatinous mess. I have to say the waiter did suggest I have something else. I should have listened to him. I would not recommend this restaurant, unless you just went for drinks.
- ExcellentMattDined on 8/2/2014After a long day in the city we were really looking forward to some good food and Bibiana did not disappoint. Our server was polite, prompt, and informed regarding the dining menu and wine list. The food was creative, well executed, and delicious. If you enjoy italian food and wine, you really can't go wrong here. It's located a short walk from the National Mall.Special Features:
- BarbVIPDined on 7/28/2014outstanding black pasta with crab..everyone in our party was impressed with the food.
- Very mixed experienceFoodie1960Dined on 7/26/2014Had to send my main course back to the kitchen because it was too salty, a waiter dropped a tray of glasses, and I was double charged for a drink, which I only caught by luck. They were kind enough to take my dessert off of the bill and to offer a Liquour as an apology, but I think I must have been served the cheap lemon cello, as it was harsh and not very good tasting. I am quite certain there are better restaurants in town!
- Very fine, indeed!myotrevsDined on 7/19/2014Having moved out of DC, I come downtown less that I used to and had not been to Bibiana for 2 years. The wine list is expanded and less expensive than many; extensive too and arranged geographically...very nice! The four of us sampled one another's plate...all delicious! We are coming back, soon too! The food seemed more sure handed than I recall, really a treat! P.S. because of the (nice) weather we sat outside, so ambience was noisier and the service slightly less attentive (just because of geography) than had we been inside. Still, a 5-star experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/18/2014The section of the restaurant we sat in was freezing. Great presentation but food was mediocre. We had a new server that was too shy to attend our table as we would have expected For example we had to ask for a drink (pre dinner cocktail)Special Features:
- Romantic anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014My husband and I visited Bibiana for the second time for our anniversary this year. Five stars! The service was excellent - attentive and personable without being overbearing. The food was fabulous. The ambiance was perfect for such a romantic occasion. We love Bibiana and plan to go back for future special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly enjoyed BibianadiscerningtasteDined on 7/17/2014Bibiana is a wonderful restaurant and I thoroughly enjoyed my dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.