1100 New York Avenue, NW (Corner of 12th and H St)
The corner of H St. and 12th
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bibianadc.com/
- Phone: (202) 216-9550
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; All Day Menu: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Late Night Menu: Friday & Saturday: 11:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Nicholas Steffanelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
Nick Stefanelli’s regional Italian fare features a variety of well executed small plates, antipasti and standouts including his whole roasted fish.
His cuisine helped earn Bibiana a glowing review and two-and-a-half stars from food critic Tom Sietsema of The Washington Post, and four stars from DC Modern Luxury critics. It also secured a place on Washingtonian’s list of the top one hundred restaurants in the nation’s capital. In June 2010 Bibiana was a finalist for “Best New Restaurant” and Nick Stefanelli won the “Rising Star Chef” from The Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington. In October 2010, Stefanelli was also announced as the winner of StarChefs.com “Rising Star” award and Bibiana was named to Esquire’s exclusive list of 20 “Best New Restaurants 2010.”
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
- Very nice food and ambienceAndyZDined on 11/15/2014Both food and ambience were keeping up to my high expectations based on other reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice Italian restaurantthomas5Dined on 11/15/2014Very nice Italian restaurant, the atmosphere is nice, the waiting staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. The dishes are great, kind of modern Italian, they have a very good wine list, too. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, quite goodJohnHDined on 11/14/2014Excellent food, solid service, though the closeness of the tables makes conversation a little challenging, especially when combined with the volume of the music (and the somewhat unusual choice of music). The staff does a good job with suggestions for wine pairings, and the support staff was quiet and efficient- my water glass never got below half full, for example, and our plates were cleared immediately when we were one, but not a moment before. My main regret was that we had appetizers, because I had no room for the desserts. The choices for dessert looked delicious, and I'll definitely save room for them next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed very much!LocalsDined on 11/14/2014Everything was excellent. It was the best monkfish I have ever tasted. The appetizers ("small plates") were outstanding also. Nice setting, quiet enough for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still fantasticGretchenVIPDined on 11/8/2014I think Bibiana isn't as popular as it once was, which is sad for them but great for me - it's easier to get a last minute table! The food is still terrific and it's imaginative and beautifully presented. The wine list is solid and reasonably priced and the service remains excellent.Special Features:
- Bibiana gets an A+!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014I have to say that my visit to Bibiana with my date (first date) was amazing. The staff, from the greeter to our waiter and everyone else, were superb and so nice! My date and I had a chance to really enjoy each other's company and yet the staff was always there. The food was outstanding! Great fresh bread, mushroom soup to die for and Ravioli that has a great taste. The restaurant also took back the Black Spaghetti (gross but tons of people love it) when I tasted it and hated it. They were top notch and I will go back again. Maybe my date and I can go back...he enjoyed it too!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/4/2014The service was incredible and the food was more than I expected.Special Features:
- Everything was deliciousLAladyDined on 11/3/2014Great place to dine alone, which I often do when traveling. Attentive service, comfortable room, very welcoming. And the food! I had mushroom soup, the piccolo (3 item) salumi plate, caramel gelato and a glass of wine. All were outstanding and I plan to eat here on my next visit to DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portionsHmmmmVIPDined on 11/1/2014For the price, the portions were very small. The main course didn't come with sides which doesn't match the price. It was expensive for a mediocre meal
- foodloverfoodloverVIPDined on 10/31/2014The food was excellent, and the service was outstanding. This is definitely a place for foodies. Menu changes every three months, but I understand the squid ink spaghetti is a constant. Tuna was excellent according to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early dinner before a show @VerizonGKellyDined on 10/31/2014Very enjoyable dinner before a concert on a Friday night. We were the first table in the place but that wasn't a problem for the staff. Had a drink at the bar because we were so early.my friend and I couldn't decide what to order for the pasta course so they were kind enough to split two dishes for us so we could share. food and wine were delicious and they accommodated our request to write a special nite on the birthday boys dessert plate so we could surprise him with the concert tickets at the end of the meal. Overall a great experience and we will return.Special Features:
- Excellent appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2014Tuna Tartar appetizer was excellent and the mozzarella radicchio salad was unusual and very good. We both had the black pasta made with squid ink and topped with crab, which was recommended in other reviews. The pasta dish was good but the appetizers were so good we wished we had tried more of those instead. Attractive dining area, very good service. Wine was expensive compared to other restaurants in this range that we went to in DC.
- Great ambiance, service, and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We celebrated a birthday here and had a great experience between the atmosphere, service, and the food. Every dish was amazing, even down to the vegetables!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chef with visionrun2eatDined on 10/25/2014Dishes created from the wonderful foods of the area. From salads which were fresh to desserts which were beautiful. The black spaghetti and fish were a treat and risotto was as it should be rich. Thank you for a wonderful dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Home Run!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/24/2014Can't say enough good things about Bibiana. This visit was another home run! I consider Bibiana to be one of the best restaurants in DC, thoroughly Italian and very contemporary! The highlight of this recent visit was a creamy winter squash risotto with melt-in-your-mouth and earthy veal shank on top! It was extraordinary. Also be sure to get the crispy artichokes as a starter! Bibiana is a New York-quality restaurant and a cut above most other DC restaurants!Special Features:
- Go to BibianaMediocreDined on 10/21/2014Went on a whim with two old friends. Beautiful place. Outstanding waitress, Angela Jackson, and her manager from Poland. Food was fabulous. I had the lard spaghetti. Sounds gross, but I dare you to try it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HelllenVIPDined on 10/18/2014Nice but overpriced. There are better places in this category and there is a reason why this one got kicked out of Washington's 100 best. Went there because couldnt find a better place at last minute and turned out exactly like this, last minute choice -- adequate, not great, could have done better. Stable good Italian food. Very pricey for what it is and nothing to write home about or to remember. Adore the sister restaurants rasika and radika west -- this one is food wise ver far from them.Special Features:
- xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxDined on 10/17/2014xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A solid Italian dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/14/2014Service was excellent, and the food was well prepared and very good. The pricing is on the higher end but a surprisingly solid Italian establishment surrounded by professional buildings and parking garages for the 9 to 5.Special Features:
- DC TripDisappointedVIPDined on 10/11/2014We were excited about our experience as our waitress Jordan was wonderful. One slight mistake, she told us the price for white truffles was the price for black truffles. What we expected to pay $15 for cost us $50. When we asked about it she only wanted to know if we wanted to see her manager, nothing more. My wife enjoyed her dinner but mine was average at best.Special Features:
- Like PlaceKnifeAndForkReadyDined on 10/8/2014I like the place, although some of my friends are not fond. I don't get it. I've been several times and I think the food is great, even exceptional. Some desserts are truly spectacular. It's a little pricey but I enjoyed. If I'm writing about it several days later, then it's a memorable meal.
- AwfulGetRealVIPDined on 10/1/2014Used to be one of my favorite restaurants in DC but now it's terrible. The Burrata appetizer was tasteless and came with spoiled (squishy) tomatoes. The pasta dish with rock shrimp was gummy and had no flavor but salt. Dessert was a disgusting mixture of a grease-laden cookie over a weird tasting fluff. The only edible part was the dollop of gelato in the center. The manager comped most of the bill when I complained, but also tried to justify the crap they're serving as the result of an off night, someone in the kitchen being in love (and therefore too distracted to care), or an intentional choice that I alone didn't like. None of it made sense and I was greatly relieved when it was over and I could get out of there.
- Great service.... food was OKYaniDined on 10/1/2014We took a friend to Bibiana for lunch. We were happy to find out that we could get half orders so that we could try more items. The ravioli was delicious (both the cheese and the beef). However the black spaghetti with crab was TERRIBLE. Two of us got that dish and we both disliked it. When the hostess came over to check on us we did let her know that we disliked the dish and she asked if we wanted something else in place of that dish - which was outstanding customer service. So we took her up on her offer. The replacement dishes of the cheese and beef ravioli were delicious. The portions are also quite small so it make sense to fill up on the delicious bread and oil prior to the meal.Special Features:
- Krist3VIPDined on 9/19/2014Amazing tasting menu, the chefs are so talented! If you haven't been you need to try!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I always get the chickenBethVIPDined on 9/15/2014It is grilled with garlic and olive oil and a cauliflower puree. It is my signature dish. But the fish and pasta are excellent too (I've been told).Special Features:
- Bibiana always a great choiceHighexpectationsDined on 9/15/2014Decided at the last minute to have lunch here with a friend - I love this restaurant and my friend had never been here. As always - a perfect meal. I've NEVER been disappointed. Tried the pizza this time (a first for me) and it was delicious as was the arugula salad. Wonderful service; low-to-moderate noise level - very easy to have private conversation here.Special Features:
- The Renewal of BibianaCarolVIPDined on 9/13/2014We hadn't returned to Bibiana for several years, given our last meal there had been so disappointing. Two evenings ago, we went back and found the food and service to be exceptional! Our insalada di pesche was intriguing, thoughtfully prepared and delicious to eat. A filet of orata was well proportioned and delectable. It came with a melange of cherry tomatoes that had been sauted with onion and a bed of yucca. Service was prompt and friendly without making us feel rushed. Bibiana is back on our list of restaurants to go to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Italian EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014We very much enjoyed our dining experience, particularly the attentions of the sommelier.Special Features:
- Kitchen too slow for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014I went here with 3 colleagues for lunch while meeting in D.C. The place wasn't very busy yet it took close to an hour from the time we sat down for our food to come out, and we were being time conscious, gave the server a heads up and placed our orders right away. We had to scare down our lunches just to rush back to our meeting. I would avoid this as a lunch option if you are on any kind of schedule.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/9/2014Good, interesting food, well-presented. Friendly staff; kitchen sometimes unpredictably slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!JackiDined on 9/9/2014From the moment you walk in, the elegant yet relaxed feel of Bibiana soothes the harried rush of the day. Starting with the attentive service, flowing through the soothing decor, and to the interesting and innovative menu - you know you are in for a wonderful treat. I tried squash blossoms for the first time, and they were quite wonderful. Perfect beginning to a perfect lunch experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodVIPDined on 9/8/2014Good food and good service. Portions are rather small so you should not expect to be able to share with others at your table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meal - don't skip dessertRicinVaDined on 9/6/2014Food was tremendous but the desserts were some of the best I have had in DCSpecial Features:
- rainy night havenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive. Pasta with eggplant and black pasta were delicious. Hostess offered to check jackets; plastic rain umbrella sleeves available without asking; smiling, helpful staff. OpenTable reservations easy and effective. menu online and accurate.Special Features:
- solid but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/4/2014Food and service was terrific but $27 for a lunch salad is ridiculous. I should have asked the price of the salad first but expected it to be significantly less.Special Features:
- great mealRegulardinerVIPDined on 9/3/2014I come here often, and this time brought clients from the Midwest. They really enjoyed the meal though they found the menu a bit overwhelming. The food was outstanding as usual, and service superb. The place was very quiet - - not a busy week in DC.Special Features:
- Awesome Food and serviceBirthdayPartyDined on 9/2/2014This was not my first time dinning at Bibiana. The food continues to excell in taste, presentation and innovation. The front of the house staff were friendly and helpful, the heart of the house lead by chef Nick produce absolutly delicious food. Thanks for another great evening. My guests and I were thrilled with our mid week experience at Bibiana.Special Features:
- Scrumptous food and wineJsmmrs79Dined on 8/30/2014Amazing Italian! Delicious black truffle Rizzuto that paired well with the house Cabernet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jose Manuel MagallanesJMfromPeruDined on 8/28/2014Great place to dine!... kind people and excellent menu (specially desserts!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opentable35Dined on 8/28/2014We were really excited about Bibiana, but the food was forgettable at best and overly salty or garlicky at worst. I called the next day to inform the manger that we were disappointed in our meal and her response was basically that we should have said something at the time, but we were there for a special occassion and didn't want to make a fuss, especially since we weren't picking up the tab. I selected Bibiana after reading great reviews and now know that this restaurant is totally missable.