2801 Capitol Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95816Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.biba-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 9164552422
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Biba Caggiano
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Available only on special request.
- Private Party Contact: Karen Hand 9164552422
- Entertainment: Piano in lounge Wed-Sat from 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Cross Street: 28th & Capitol Avenue
- Public Transit: Bus stops on Capitol Avenue in either direction just a few yards away.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Public parking garage accepting only credit cards available just a half block away at 28th and N St. Valet parking also available for lunch and dinner.
A word from Biba Restaurant
Located in the historic Old Tavern Building, just minutes from the State Capitol, Biba Caggiano, celebrated chef, cookbook author, and TV personality, brings a bit of Italy to Sacramento. Savor the flavors of Biba's award winning authentic Italian cuisine in a friendly but refined ambiance, with attentive service that will make you feel instantly welcome. Enjoy spuntini with a cocktail or glass of wine in the lounge area, kick back and listen to piano music, or order a full meal at the bar or in the dining room. Only the finest and freshest ingredients are used and the food is truly Italian...house made lasagne Bolognese on Thursday and Friday and a different stuffed pasta dish every day. Osso bucco alla Milanese (veal shanks) or stinco di agnello (lamb shanks) are just some of the entrees you may expect to find. California and Italian wines are available to complement the food. And don't skip the dessert. The Tiramisu is to die for!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Biba Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
Biba Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (148)fit for foodies (115)romantic (93)great for lunch (67)neighborhood gem (61)notable wine list (60)good for groups (37)great for brunch (12)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great EveningDolcevitaDined on 9/26/2014Always a pleasure to try old favorites with a new twist. Italian dining at its finest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- martistjDined on 9/26/2014This was our second visit to Biba's and it was wonderful. There were two of us and we split the Sicilian salad which was just perfect...not to big not to small with all fresh ingredients and not swimming in dressing. I ordered the Halibut and I can honestly say I have never had it prepared better...cooked to perfection, flavorful and well presented. My partner ordered the special which was beet raviolis also excellent. Great wine list. I will definitely be back and will tell friends about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOutstandingVIPDined on 9/25/2014Went for a special occasion. Been here many times before with positive experiences. This time was pretty unremarkable. Not as good as it used to be.
- Did they go fishing for the fishMorrisDined on 9/20/2014Sorry but the wait for dinner and no appitizer was a bit much. I decline desert - I did not have 2 hours more to wait. Food was good!
- Biba's SacramentoSacramentoWomanDined on 9/19/2014We were very disappointed with lunch.. My wife's carbonara did not taste good. When she told our waitperson he fluffed it off. When the busser came to pick up her plate he asked if she didn't like it. She said yes and he asked if we told the waiter. She said yes. The waitperson came over and said he could bring her a taste of something else. She said the lasagna. When he brought the bill he had charged us for the lasagna which was the more expensive dish. We were having some family problems and just wanted to go out for lunch,problem free. That is why we didn't complain to management. This was not the first time we have had a problem at Biba's. We will not be returning.
- Lovely food & ambienceLuv2EatDined on 9/19/2014Biba's remains one of the best restaurants in Sacramento's Farm to Fork movement, and with the chef and owner on site, the restaurant hums with excellence. Go soon and go often!Special Features:
- disappointedDined on 9/19/2014We waited a very long for our lasagna which was not even hot - lukewarm at best... very disappointed for such an expensive lunch!Special Features:
- Fresh and authentic!Freshestpasta916Dined on 9/17/2014The best pasta in town! It is also very nice to see Biba often greeting guests as they arrive. You can just tell how much she cares about her food and her customers. Desserts and wines are also exceptional. I'm never disappointed at Biba's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biba's never fails to deliverTdol43Dined on 9/16/2014Great food and wonderful service. Biba's sauces will amaze you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a Sacramento treasuredingodogDined on 9/16/2014Dined at Biba's on a Tuesday evening, a birthday treat. Food, wine and service were all at a level that befits a special occasion. Biba's personal hospitality is always welcome--we recalled a long ago visit to Biba's with my mother who was thrilled to meet the Hostess whose cooking show she had so long admired. Biba's can be noisy when full, but it doesn't really detract. It's a joy to dine there--the simple elegant décor, the dedication that staff shows to providing a great experience. Only regret is there was no lasagna on Tuesday eve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still SolidOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/11/2014Consistently excellent service and food for thirty years. Obviously, Biba's constant presence ensures quality.Special Features:
- ExcellentLarryVIPDined on 9/5/2014Excellent as usual. We have never had a bad meal or service on any occasion.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in SacramentoDlovesgoodfoodDined on 9/5/2014Biba's is my favorite restaurant because the food is always first rate and the service exemplary. The multi layer lasagna is the best I have had anywhere in the world. Biba is always there welcoming me and the service is always wonderful.Special Features:
- Menu was lacking varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014There could definitely be more to choose from in the way of entrees. Also the veal cutlets were nothing special, no sauce to accompany them. Lasagna was very good but only served on Thurs. and Fri.? We were seated next to the station where waiters and waitresses congregate so a little annoying to hear them converse. This should be the last table to seat guests. Our reservation was at 5:30pm. We were one of the first parties to be seated.Special Features:
- Lives up to its reputationCharBDined on 8/28/2014Biba was all that we expected and more. Love the Romaine salad with Gorganzola dressing. Much better than a Caesar. Spaghetti Carbonara delicious but a salty for my taste. Probably because of the pancetta. Husband really liked the lasagne, only served on Thursday and Friday. Highlight to the dinner was our dessert. Zuccotto Fiorentino. Like heaven. We had our dessert "To Go". Creme Anglaise was perfect. We used half the chocolate sauce so have more for later. Definitely a dessert to share and absolutely would order again. Be prepared for a food coma after the dessert.Special Features:
- BibaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014We were visiting Sacramento and looking for a special dinner out. The restaurant was easy to find. The food was amazing. Our waitress was very attentive. When back in Sacramento, will be going back to Biba.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as UsualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014This is my wife's favorite place to eat. In the many years we have gone to Biba's we have NEVER had a bad meal. Service is always good and friendly. We have gone to Biba's "just because", special occasions and for no reason. It's a nice place to go to have a nice meal and relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice dining experienceBoise1939Dined on 8/25/2014It has been years since dining here yet the food is still excellent. Biba has continually made sure the food service and staff friendliness are consistently above expectations. And, she is almost always available to greet you and sign cook books.Special Features:
- RareniteoutDined on 8/25/2014Had a lovely dinner with friends with good food and no pressure to rush us through. Nice to see Biba checking on every table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food needs an updateLanieDined on 8/22/2014My family has been going to Biba's for years for birthdays and anniversaries. We always enjoyed the food. But this time it felt like the food was very ordinary and plain. The beet salad was just pickled beats - nothing else. On the capresse sald - the mozzerella was very good but there was hardly any tomato - just a few thin slices. My lasagna was okay. My husband's veal was good, but the plate didn't look very appealing with two long slabs of meat, a dab of vegtables and long run of mashed potatoes. The level of cooking and presention need to be updated and improved. The setting is very nice but the food is not living up to the prices being charged. The meals felt old fashioned and boring compared to other restaurants in Sacramento.
- Anniversary venuemonamatikerDined on 8/22/2014This is the 2nd year in a row that we've celebrated our wedding anniversary at Biba's. It's a wonderful experience… the food, the service, the romantic atmosphere, and live piano on Friday's.Special Features:
- food appetizing but not the hostOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014The lunch was great! Half a chicken was moist and flavorful. Pastas al dente! The gentleman host at lunchtime could have been more welcoming. I said hello to him, with a smile, and told him the time of my reservation...not a word from him :/Special Features:
- It just gets better every time.TableHopperDined on 8/20/2014Marilyn and I travel 100 miles to dine at Biba's, and we do it often. This time it was my birthday eve. We started with martinis at the bar, wonderful piano player and great crowd. Marilyn was thrilled to find eggplant raviolis on the menu and I had Buffalo Mozzarello for a starter, we shared these of course. She had the Halibut, which she declared the "best ever". I had Gnocchi with Osso Bucco sauce, wonderful. Biba's is always an experience, never just dining, and it is always more wonderful than the time before.Special Features:
- Wonderful DinnerSashaVIPDined on 8/20/2014A Wonderful Dinner with our Friends - The staff was great, it was a nice bonus to see Biba =) From our Salads, to the Entree's. Enjoyed nice bottle of Rombauer. We look forward to returning very soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTmurphVIPDined on 8/19/2014The beet salad is the best around. Always surprised by how wonderful the specials turn out to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentJimandlinDined on 8/19/2014Biba's never disappoints. This time around we experienced our best dinner ever! Perfect service, very attentive knowledgeable waitress, water, coffee and tea refilled frequently. Loved it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnsurpassedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/18/2014Biba's is the best restaurant in Northern California, and she is a gracious hostess. We started with appetizer plates of gnocchi, and eggplant ravioli, both on the menu as entrees, but the waitress suggested we try them. Delicious. My guests had the fixed price meal (three courses for $35.00 (pasta, salad or soup, entree of veal stew, chicken, or salmon). I had the seafood stew. I don't know how they get the sauce so flavorful. If I'd been home I would have picked up the bowl and drunk it once the fish were gone. They generally have a "wine of the month" which is a bargain. The salads were excellent. We were too full to have dessert. I'd suggest going with the waiter's recommendations of specials for the night - fresh local ingredients.Special Features:
- Fresh everythingKatiwDined on 8/15/2014The food and the service was excellent! The swordfish was amazing. I definitely recommend Biba's..........Special Features:
- Biba-an affordable gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014We've eaten at Biba several times over the years, always for special occasions. The food is excellent and the service attentive and efficient. This is a place where the food become the center of conversation, tastings are shared and we constantly wonder, "how do they make this taste so good?" We also note that the prices are very reasonable for the quality of food and service provided. We remain impressed that every time we come to Biba the owner is present and obviously remains very engaged in the operation of the restaurant. Biba could easily have rested on her laurels and moved on to other things as so many other "celebrity chefs" have done. The fact that she hasn't earns our respect and appreciation. We hope to return more often.Special Features:
- italianguyDined on 8/7/2014The food is terrific! The ambiance is great, all-in-all, a very nice place. Special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningfishluvrDined on 8/5/2014We love great food and fine dining. Biba's was both. The food over delivers for the price you pay. The service is almost too good. If my water glass dropped 2" someone was there to fill it up. They are so fast and efficient, I never had time to deny them the opportunity (we are in a drought) and I didn't want to leave a full glass at the table. They provide a suitable list of beer and wine. I don't mean to understate their list, it appears to be very deliberate and compliments their menu well. It was a little too loud for me to consider it a romantic place, which did not bother me. We had a great experience and will return and have already recommended it to others.Special Features:
- Biba's is always greatMWReviewVIPDined on 8/5/2014Great food and service. Atmosphere and staff are good but almost a bit unfriendly. So, I would rank the overall dining experience 4 1/2 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, parking scam ruins b-dayRossVIPDined on 8/4/2014As usual, food at Biba's very good. The procuto and Mellon appetizer was very tasty and enough for four. Homemade chicken ravioli was outstanding. My girlfriend had seafood soup (ciopino) that was full of cockles and mussels. Disappointed with parking scam. I parked next to valet parking, clearly marked as 2 hour public parking. Asked by attendant to leave my keys so they could have extra room if needed. After dinner, my car was moved from public space into valet space and I was informed it would be $5 dollars to get my car back. Very disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biba's is great!ElleJayVIPDined on 8/1/2014Biba's Restaurant continues to be excellent. The food is always wonderful and the service is among the best in town. The ambiance is welcoming and comfortable in all the right ways. While it's been a while since I hung out at the bar, the bar is once of the best and well-situated in the restaurant in town. Biba's should be at the top of everyone's list when visitors come to town and when you want to go out and have an intimate dinner or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lasagna To Die ForbigeaterzDined on 7/31/2014THE best lasagna ever. They only offer it Thursdays and Fridays, but definitely worth it! Had a reservation for 8:00 but was allowed to push it back a half hour with no problems.Special Features:
- Best Server EverVacationerVIPDined on 7/31/2014It was our first time at Biba, so perhaps all of the servers are as good. We mentioned that everything looked great and that we'd love to try lots of stuff, but we really can't eat that much. She was able to completely customize our experience. We split the two pasta specials. she had a half order of each split on two plates. One was a cheese ravioli, the other was gnocchi. Both were fabulous and I'm so glad we were able to have both! We then were able to each have only half a salad -- my husband had the Ceasar, I had Arugula. Then, we split the lamb shank. All of the food was fabulous, we were able to try four dishes and we were not overly stuffed when we left. If only all restaurants empowered the wait staff like that!Special Features:
- always a treat!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2014Great food, great service, great atmosphere- We celebrated a joint anniversary with friends-topnotch dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Just a reminder...RMG11375VIPDined on 7/29/2014This is the most consistently wonderful restaurant in Sacramento!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little disappointedSuzannaDined on 7/25/2014We wanted the fixed price menu as it was described on the web site. Then at the restaurant we were told that it was not available that day. Also, it took a very long time for our entree to arrive. We thought we were forgotten. Otherwise very nice. Would rather have a table all to ourselves, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a dining pleasure!SteveWVIPDined on 7/24/2014My wife and I celebrated our 27th wedding anniversary at Biba. As always, a tasty meal and excellent service. My wife ordered the Thursday/Friday-only Lasagne Verdi alla Bolognese, a 10-layer lasagne which melts in your mouth. I ordered a Salmon dish, which was a chef's menu addition for the evening. Delicious!Special Features: