2801 Capitol Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95816Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.biba-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 9164552422
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Biba Caggiano
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Available only on special request.
- Private Party Contact: Karen Hand 9164552422
- Entertainment: Piano in lounge Wed-Sat from 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Cross Street: 28th & Capitol Avenue
- Public Transit: Bus stops on Capitol Avenue in either direction just a few yards away.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Public parking garage accepting only credit cards available just a half block away at 28th and N St. Valet parking also available for lunch and dinner.
A word from Biba Restaurant
Located in the historic Old Tavern Building, just minutes from the State Capitol, Biba Caggiano, celebrated chef, cookbook author, and TV personality, brings a bit of Italy to Sacramento. Savor the flavors of Biba's award winning authentic Italian cuisine in a friendly but refined ambiance, with attentive service that will make you feel instantly welcome. Enjoy spuntini with a cocktail or glass of wine in the lounge area, kick back and listen to piano music, or order a full meal at the bar or in the dining room. Only the finest and freshest ingredients are used and the food is truly Italian...house made lasagne Bolognese on Thursday and Friday and a different stuffed pasta dish every day. Osso bucco alla Milanese (veal shanks) or stinco di agnello (lamb shanks) are just some of the entrees you may expect to find. California and Italian wines are available to complement the food. And don't skip the dessert. The Tiramisu is to die for!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Biba Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
Biba Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (153)fit for foodies (116)romantic (93)notable wine list (66)great for lunch (65)neighborhood gem (62)good for groups (41)hot spot (16)great for brunch (13)vibrant bar scene (12)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Menu was lacking varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014There could definitely be more to choose from in the way of entrees. Also the veal cutlets were nothing special, no sauce to accompany them. Lasagna was very good but only served on Thurs. and Fri.? We were seated next to the station where waiters and waitresses congregate so a little annoying to hear them converse. This should be the last table to seat guests. Our reservation was at 5:30pm. We were one of the first parties to be seated.Special Features:
- Lives up to its reputationCharBDined on 8/28/2014Biba was all that we expected and more. Love the Romaine salad with Gorganzola dressing. Much better than a Caesar. Spaghetti Carbonara delicious but a salty for my taste. Probably because of the pancetta. Husband really liked the lasagne, only served on Thursday and Friday. Highlight to the dinner was our dessert. Zuccotto Fiorentino. Like heaven. We had our dessert "To Go". Creme Anglaise was perfect. We used half the chocolate sauce so have more for later. Definitely a dessert to share and absolutely would order again. Be prepared for a food coma after the dessert.Special Features:
- BibaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014We were visiting Sacramento and looking for a special dinner out. The restaurant was easy to find. The food was amazing. Our waitress was very attentive. When back in Sacramento, will be going back to Biba.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as UsualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014This is my wife's favorite place to eat. In the many years we have gone to Biba's we have NEVER had a bad meal. Service is always good and friendly. We have gone to Biba's "just because", special occasions and for no reason. It's a nice place to go to have a nice meal and relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RareniteoutDined on 8/25/2014Had a lovely dinner with friends with good food and no pressure to rush us through. Nice to see Biba checking on every table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food needs an updateLanieDined on 8/22/2014My family has been going to Biba's for years for birthdays and anniversaries. We always enjoyed the food. But this time it felt like the food was very ordinary and plain. The beet salad was just pickled beats - nothing else. On the capresse sald - the mozzerella was very good but there was hardly any tomato - just a few thin slices. My lasagna was okay. My husband's veal was good, but the plate didn't look very appealing with two long slabs of meat, a dab of vegtables and long run of mashed potatoes. The level of cooking and presention need to be updated and improved. The setting is very nice but the food is not living up to the prices being charged. The meals felt old fashioned and boring compared to other restaurants in Sacramento.
- Anniversary venuemonamatikerDined on 8/22/2014This is the 2nd year in a row that we've celebrated our wedding anniversary at Biba's. It's a wonderful experience… the food, the service, the romantic atmosphere, and live piano on Friday's.Special Features:
- food appetizing but not the hostOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014The lunch was great! Half a chicken was moist and flavorful. Pastas al dente! The gentleman host at lunchtime could have been more welcoming. I said hello to him, with a smile, and told him the time of my reservation...not a word from him :/Special Features:
- It just gets better every time.TableHopperDined on 8/20/2014Marilyn and I travel 100 miles to dine at Biba's, and we do it often. This time it was my birthday eve. We started with martinis at the bar, wonderful piano player and great crowd. Marilyn was thrilled to find eggplant raviolis on the menu and I had Buffalo Mozzarello for a starter, we shared these of course. She had the Halibut, which she declared the "best ever". I had Gnocchi with Osso Bucco sauce, wonderful. Biba's is always an experience, never just dining, and it is always more wonderful than the time before.Special Features:
- Wonderful DinnerSashaVIPDined on 8/20/2014A Wonderful Dinner with our Friends - The staff was great, it was a nice bonus to see Biba =) From our Salads, to the Entree's. Enjoyed nice bottle of Rombauer. We look forward to returning very soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTmurphVIPDined on 8/19/2014The beet salad is the best around. Always surprised by how wonderful the specials turn out to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentJimandlinDined on 8/19/2014Biba's never disappoints. This time around we experienced our best dinner ever! Perfect service, very attentive knowledgeable waitress, water, coffee and tea refilled frequently. Loved it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnsurpassedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/18/2014Biba's is the best restaurant in Northern California, and she is a gracious hostess. We started with appetizer plates of gnocchi, and eggplant ravioli, both on the menu as entrees, but the waitress suggested we try them. Delicious. My guests had the fixed price meal (three courses for $35.00 (pasta, salad or soup, entree of veal stew, chicken, or salmon). I had the seafood stew. I don't know how they get the sauce so flavorful. If I'd been home I would have picked up the bowl and drunk it once the fish were gone. They generally have a "wine of the month" which is a bargain. The salads were excellent. We were too full to have dessert. I'd suggest going with the waiter's recommendations of specials for the night - fresh local ingredients.Special Features:
- Fresh everythingKatiwDined on 8/15/2014The food and the service was excellent! The swordfish was amazing. I definitely recommend Biba's..........Special Features:
- Biba-an affordable gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014We've eaten at Biba several times over the years, always for special occasions. The food is excellent and the service attentive and efficient. This is a place where the food become the center of conversation, tastings are shared and we constantly wonder, "how do they make this taste so good?" We also note that the prices are very reasonable for the quality of food and service provided. We remain impressed that every time we come to Biba the owner is present and obviously remains very engaged in the operation of the restaurant. Biba could easily have rested on her laurels and moved on to other things as so many other "celebrity chefs" have done. The fact that she hasn't earns our respect and appreciation. We hope to return more often.Special Features:
- italianguyDined on 8/7/2014The food is terrific! The ambiance is great, all-in-all, a very nice place. Special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningfishluvrDined on 8/5/2014We love great food and fine dining. Biba's was both. The food over delivers for the price you pay. The service is almost too good. If my water glass dropped 2" someone was there to fill it up. They are so fast and efficient, I never had time to deny them the opportunity (we are in a drought) and I didn't want to leave a full glass at the table. They provide a suitable list of beer and wine. I don't mean to understate their list, it appears to be very deliberate and compliments their menu well. It was a little too loud for me to consider it a romantic place, which did not bother me. We had a great experience and will return and have already recommended it to others.Special Features:
- Biba's is always greatMWReviewVIPDined on 8/5/2014Great food and service. Atmosphere and staff are good but almost a bit unfriendly. So, I would rank the overall dining experience 4 1/2 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, parking scam ruins b-dayRossVIPDined on 8/4/2014As usual, food at Biba's very good. The procuto and Mellon appetizer was very tasty and enough for four. Homemade chicken ravioli was outstanding. My girlfriend had seafood soup (ciopino) that was full of cockles and mussels. Disappointed with parking scam. I parked next to valet parking, clearly marked as 2 hour public parking. Asked by attendant to leave my keys so they could have extra room if needed. After dinner, my car was moved from public space into valet space and I was informed it would be $5 dollars to get my car back. Very disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biba's is great!ElleJayVIPDined on 8/1/2014Biba's Restaurant continues to be excellent. The food is always wonderful and the service is among the best in town. The ambiance is welcoming and comfortable in all the right ways. While it's been a while since I hung out at the bar, the bar is once of the best and well-situated in the restaurant in town. Biba's should be at the top of everyone's list when visitors come to town and when you want to go out and have an intimate dinner or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lasagna To Die ForbigeaterzDined on 7/31/2014THE best lasagna ever. They only offer it Thursdays and Fridays, but definitely worth it! Had a reservation for 8:00 but was allowed to push it back a half hour with no problems.Special Features:
- Best Server EverVacationerVIPDined on 7/31/2014It was our first time at Biba, so perhaps all of the servers are as good. We mentioned that everything looked great and that we'd love to try lots of stuff, but we really can't eat that much. She was able to completely customize our experience. We split the two pasta specials. she had a half order of each split on two plates. One was a cheese ravioli, the other was gnocchi. Both were fabulous and I'm so glad we were able to have both! We then were able to each have only half a salad -- my husband had the Ceasar, I had Arugula. Then, we split the lamb shank. All of the food was fabulous, we were able to try four dishes and we were not overly stuffed when we left. If only all restaurants empowered the wait staff like that!Special Features:
- always a treat!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2014Great food, great service, great atmosphere- We celebrated a joint anniversary with friends-topnotch dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Just a reminder...RMG11375VIPDined on 7/29/2014This is the most consistently wonderful restaurant in Sacramento!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little disappointedSuzannaDined on 7/25/2014We wanted the fixed price menu as it was described on the web site. Then at the restaurant we were told that it was not available that day. Also, it took a very long time for our entree to arrive. We thought we were forgotten. Otherwise very nice. Would rather have a table all to ourselves, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a dining pleasure!SteveWDined on 7/24/2014My wife and I celebrated our 27th wedding anniversary at Biba. As always, a tasty meal and excellent service. My wife ordered the Thursday/Friday-only Lasagne Verdi alla Bolognese, a 10-layer lasagne which melts in your mouth. I ordered a Salmon dish, which was a chef's menu addition for the evening. Delicious!Special Features:
- Consistently exceptionalTmurphVIPDined on 7/24/2014We are regulars at Biba's, but I forgot how amazing the lasagne is. It is only available on Thursday and Friday evening, but it is the best in the country. Everything else was as it should be. One of the only Sacramento restaurants that is better than most of Napa or San Francisco's best.Special Features:
- Time consumingTcheeseDined on 7/23/2014The food was excellent but for the number of people in the restaurant the service was extremely slow. Is a good thing we had all the time in the world. Menu is limited but adequate. The quality is thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gemrac1Dined on 7/22/2014Superb Italian food, pleasant, efficient service, good, varied wine list, atmosphere is casual but upscale. A bit noisy, but not too much so, we stayed in Sacremento specificly to eat at Biba.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2014Our experience was again very good. The restaurant did seem a little noisy this time. Our waitress was vey good (Gigi). Bib and her General Manager Scott did stop by our table to check o us. We had a very nice, romantic evening.Special Features:
- ExcellentGloriaDined on 7/18/2014As always, dining at Biba was a pleasure. The environment is a lovely setting in which to enjoy wonderful food and great service.Special Features:
- food not up to parLMiller28Dined on 7/16/2014While the dining room still has its charm (regardless of the dated furniture), we were disappointed with the quality of the food. We shared the gnocchi as an appetizer, served with Biba's fabulous butter sage sauce; the gnocchi itself was denser and chewier then I remembered. The Veal Milanese was a very thin piece of veal heavily breaded and fried, I wouldn't consider this entree fine dining. The lamb shank had the flavors I love, though after removing the fat, there really wasn't much meat to savor; and it was served with a bland polenta. My dessert sounded and looked fabulous but didn't taste very good. The only item that was truly outstanding was the creme brulee.Special Features:
- skippyDined on 7/16/2014We wanted to do something special for our 70th Anniversary. We wanted a special dinner & restaurant with our son & daughter-in law & we were delighted to have all our wishes met at Biba's . The atmosphere was perfect & our dinner (we all ordered braised lamb shanks) was wonderful. The shanks melted in our mouths & we decided they were the best we'd ever eaten. We had always wanted to try Biba's but it was too many miles from Folsom for old folks, so we finally made it with our chauffeur son. We don't know how many Anniversaries we have left but we've decided we will spend them all at Biba's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful in every way.Sacnative59Dined on 7/16/2014I admit I had high expectations and Biba was more than expected in every way. Wonderful staff and excellent food a true gem in Sacramento.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as always....SantaRosaGareVIPDined on 7/11/2014We dined on July 11th. Our server, Jeannine, was very attentive. My husband started with the romaine salad and the dressing was delightful, not too heavy. He had their signature 10 layer lasagna that was over the top with flavor and serving size! I had their basil/cucumber soup that was very refreshing using seasonal ingredients. I had an entrée special of swordfish served with fagioli pasta. The fish was very fresh, firm and lightly seasoned. The pasta was a different and appreciated accompaniment! The supporting wait stuff were very attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fixed Price LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Met some friends at Biba's for their fixed price lunch. The service was outstanding along with the food. The cold summer squash soup was to die for and the rigatoni pasta dish that we chose for our entree was the best I have ever eaten. The sauce was creamy with a smokey taste. Lots of complex flavors that made the experience perfect with the Syrah I brought in. I definitely recommend this restaurant and plan on returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2014Wonderful meal with great service. It was a treat to have Biba come to our table and say hello. We always enjoy spending our special occasions at Biba'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Sacramento's finestOperabearDined on 7/9/2014The place, Sacramento's finest Italian restaurant, is elegant, refined, with great food and wonderful service. I enjoyed the lentil soup to start, followed by a wonderful salad of grilled prawns and roasted peppers and eggplant, with a sumptuous zabaglione with fresh berried for dessert. And they have a great fixed-price lunch special menu. At dinner the choices are even greater and there is a truly excellent wine list. Definitely the place to go for a relaxed, elegant delicious meal. The proprietor, Biba Caggiano, is the author of several excellent and well-known cookbooks on Italian cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant LunchDiningAlumniDined on 7/8/2014Our lunch was organized to thank a colleague for exceptional assistance and we felt she enjoyed the relaxed, elegant dining area and perfectly attentive service, not to mention the delicious cuisine. We were able to enjoy our conversation in the peaceful atmosphere and all felt that we had had a wonderful treat indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very specialjenthehen25Dined on 7/7/2014Ive admired and been inspired by Biba since the 90's when Id watch her on pbs. My daughter gave my husband and I a gift cert for dinner for our anniversary. It met and exceeded my expectations. Our server was so kind and knowledgeable, he helped us understand the menu, took our order and didn't bug us too much, or make us feel uncomfortable, he made our experience all the better! The highest point of the evening,besides our wonderful meal (lamb shank w/polenta & Halibut on fresh corn) was meeting the legendary Biba:)) It made my night and I am still smiling today! It was probably our best anniversary dinner ever, and that's saying a lot since its our 28th! Thank you to Biba and all of the lovely staff, and our darling server:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.